Options

2010 PUMA HellRunner: Hell Down South Sunday

Comments

• Options

Then thats when I will buy trail shoes BB - not before! image  Oh and there's not a lot of trails in London to run that I know of either.

edit - I'm running away fast before someone tells me there are loads of trails around London.  It sounds too hard really. image

• Options

I would think there will be trail races within easy reach of London, sure! Hehehe..image

See how you feel after this one! I reckon once you've finished....had a cup of tea & scrubbed the mud out of your toenails....you will be looking for the next off-roader to enter!

I got some Inov8 trail shoes for £30.

• Options
    Hi all im hoping for some advice. i signed up for this event a while back hoping that i will be fit enough i started training bout 7 months ago but im only up to 5 miles and im still over weight though i have lost bout 1.5 stone. do i have any chance of getting round or should i just not bother even though it does look great
  • Options
    Oh go for it Cogga! Just take it steady. If you run/walk I'm sure you'll make it round. All depends how much you want it! Sometimes you don't have it in your legs, but you have it in your head, & that gets you round.... image
  • Options
    i am pretty sure i could get round even if i end up walkin half but im worried that everyone would of packed up and goe before i finish lol dont want to look like a fool. how long does it normally take to get round for slow people i mean
  • Options
    Cogga,

Looking at the results from last year, people were coming in at nearly 3 hours. You've still got 6 weeks to go, which certainly means you can add a few more miles to your long runs.

just keep up the regular training at least 3 times a week, try putting in a hill or two. increase those long runs bit by bit each week. Don't do much in the week before, but do something.

On race day, as bimbler say, keep it steady, don't go of too quickly, run-walk is fine, there will be times when most people are doing it anyway. Once you get into the mud you'll soon be having too much fun to worry about tiredness and then suddenly you'll be at the finish.
  • Options
    Cogga, I run 10 miles in about 1.15 on the road, my last three Hellrunners have all been over two hours because i have such a good time going round I don't want it to end, some set of walking, others run the first few miles and then walk, once your soaked through and trying to climba sand bank you will see everyone walking, don't look at this as a race but more of an experience!!
  • Options
    thank you all so much my mind is now at ease and i cant wait to go now lol thank you
  • Options
    Soup,

Let me be first to say that there's quite a few good places in London to do trail running.

Personally, I find Hampstead heath and Epping forest as great places for playing in the mud for an hour or so. Richmond park in the south is another good place and there's a few other parks that I've spotted down south that look good.

Basically its mainly the outskirts of the tube network and around the M25 where you'll find the best places.

If you look, you will find.
  • Options

Cogga - I'm not going to be rushing this and plan to be at or near the back.  I'm running 12 min/miles on the road for a 10 mile distance and I haven't done hill training.  We can support each other up the hills and accross the bog.  Don't worry, we can do it and just have a laugh.  image 

Catcat - I already run Richmond Park but wouldn't call that a trail really.  I'll see how this race goes first anyway. 

Edit  - Cogga are you in wave 1 or 2?  I'm in wave 2 because I didn't want to be trampled on.

• Options
    im in wave 2 aswell for the same reason lol im so looking forward to it now i do like a good roll in the mud
  • Options
    Cogga - great, we'll have a real laugh.  Can't wait.   And my OH has just signed up!  He's faster than me though. 
  • Options

I'm starting to wish I was doing the Southern one....it sounds fun at the back of this one! image

It better be this entertaining at the back of the Northern one.... image

• Options
    BB - come and do the Southern one.   We'll get you a special southern pasport for the day, especially if you are 6ft 2 and carry fair maidens up hills and over bogs. imageimage
  • Options

Too far Soup...I'm in Manchester....

I ain't carrying anyone! 5ft 3 female too....You'll just have to drown...glug...

• Options

BB - I'll let you off then.  Have fun oop North.   And thanks for joining our thread too. I'll pop over the Northern one soon and say hi. image

• Options
    im 5 ft 4 male but i wanna know whos carring me :0)
  • Options

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs294.snc3/28353_131440390206093_100000203977016_344855_3045296_n.jpg

heres me lol that was my first sprint triathlon taken this year in june

• Options
    hi cooga, if you add a mile each week to your long run you'll be fine.

i concur that hampstead heath is the place for muddy - and hilly - North London runs. I love it there. Also Trent Park, which is near Cockfosters tube has a trail around it where you can pretend you're somewhere more rural (and no hills).

I'm considering trespassing on a few golf courses to practice running up sandy banks.

this may have been stupid, but I've splashed out and brought some off road trail shoes especially for this event and training up to it. mainly based on the ammount of times i nearly slipped over in the mud last year i think they'll be worth it. i'm also hoping that they'll allow me to carry on running when/if snow comes. now there's a thought, what if it snows on November 28!!!???
  • Options

I'll carry you Cogga! image   What tri did you do?  I'm quite addicted to tri myself - done 5 x sprints and 1 x HIM.  Love it, but I'm concentrating on getting my neglected running back to some kind of form this year.

• Options
    i done the uckbridge tri it was great fun i must admit i am slightly addicted now. it was my brother who got me into it, i went origonally to watch him on his first one but couldnt resist  i had to do one lol.
  • Options
    Bought myself some rugged off road trainers - they're great running through mulch, mud and grass but feel weird on concrete and path, I guess this is normal.

Think I'll do another muddy race in January to get my value for money from them. Any recommendations mud lubbers?
  • Options
    If you're local to Berkshire/Hampshire try Riot Runner or Run Rampage - they're both 10k ish. Run Rampage is new apparently but I've entered it - Riotrunner was new last year and a right laugh. I bought trail shoes off the back of Hellrunner last year which I did in road shoes and found then really good for Riotrunner.
  • Options
    For me I've found this,

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/events/viewevent.asp?sp=&v=1&EN=57960&ms=

Which looks likes it's over the same terrain as hell. and this

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/events/viewevent.asp?sp=&v=1&EN=57911&ms=

which is supposedly quite messy as well.

I have my name in both starting lineups
  • Options
    Thanks mudsters. all those look good. think i might sign up for run rampage.
  • Options

Cogga - glad you enjoyed the tri.  They are very addictive and i have a feeling that Hellrunner is going to have a similar effect.  Must be something to do with getting wet??

Those other events look tough, which is probably a stupid comment when hellrunner is also tough!  But good to know there are other options if I want to do more so thanks.  That's when I'll buy trail shoes. 

8 miles ran last Sunday, 9 miles scheduled for tomorrow and wanting to get back to 12 miles fitness. If i can get some hills in as well or off-road then that will be a bonus but in all honesty I can't see me actually running up sandy steep hills. 

Its nearly November and only 5 weeks to go. image

• Options

Johnny 2323

Think you will be glad you bought the trail shoes...bit late to get in on the poll onwearing  road shoes vs trail shoes but after the Military 10km Redhill this morning I was really happy I went with a pair of trail shoes. Overnight and early morning rain made for an extra slippery run and the trail shoes made all the difference in staying up on my feet on the uphill and the downhills ( by the way - how do they manage to fit in more uphills than downs..surely this defies some law of nature or science?!)  Other runners in road shoes had to really take care on the slopes and in some cases just had to slide down. This was my first experience truly off road and in new shoes so no expert here- but I think it helped that my shoes were able to drain pretty well after going through the mud trenches and water obstacles. And there were loads of them!

I can't wait to hit Hellrunner now....looks like the back of the pack is going to be a fun place to be! 

Bright Bimbler - looking forward to hearing how Hellrunner up North goes ...

Is anyone going the fancy dress option? I'm running for CLIC Sargent so really keen to wear my lucky tutu.

But I don't want to stick out like a sore ( and muddy, dripping wet) thumb! There were a few tutus today and some fairy wings and even a jolly green giant...wings not a good idea for crawling under cargo nets...

• Options
    Hey Soup Dragon and Cogga...i'm heading off in wave 2 as well.I'll keep an eye out for you at the back of the pack...it will be nice to have company. Can't promise to carry anyone though...image
  • Options

I'll look out for the tutu malice.  image  I'm tempted with fancy dress but might feel a bit of a plonker when I'm on my own all the back.  You need a bit of an audience for fancy dress I think.   I remember being last by far on my very first road race (I thought it was 5k but it was 5 miles, oops) and there I was with my number on and no other runner anywhere in sight.  I got a lot of sympathy from people at the bus stop.  But a big cheer at the finish line.

I'm so unprepared for this but don't want to do a "practise session" because at the moment I think that ignorance is bliss.    Bring it on. image

• Options

Fancy dress is highly amusing till it's soaking wet and weighs a ton, loads of people did it last year including some very cold looking boys in Borat style mankinis!!