Options

North Dorset Village Marathon

Comments

• Options

Glad to hear I'm not the only one mad enough to be running two marathons so close together. I haven't run for more than 10 miles since Brighton, and felt pretty good. However, been feeling generally under the weather since the weekend, and my 5 miler yesterday felt a struggle. Hopefully a nice, easy week will see me okay.

Best of luck to all, and hope to see some of you on the day image

• Options
    I'll be another recovering one after London, managed 10 miles at the weekend which was OK, and I'll have to see how track training goes tonight. I'll be the slow one on Sunday!
  • Options

I'm doing the North Dorset too, feeling very nervous now and am constantly checking the weather hoping that its going to be cooler than predicted, suppose will have to wait closer to the weekend before getting a real idea but hey that's life.  This is my third marathon, did the London in 2007 and 2008, seems like an age since I've done a mara! Good luck to everyone on Sunday! 

• Options
    TCPTCP ✭✭✭

Lots of nutters out there running two marathons in a month.  image

I'm really looking forward to it.  Brighton was fun but the peacful roads of the Dorset countryside will be bliss.

Megster99 - What kept you away from marathons for 3 years and why a return to such a small race?

• Options
    Hey TCP, I've tried for London to no avail and am now hoping to do a sufficiently good enough time to get automatic entry next year, that's the plan anyway! Have done a few halves and 10km in the meantime. Very impressed that you like others are doing two maras in close succession, take my hat off to you guys! image
  • Options
    TCPTCP ✭✭✭

Keep your hat on until I actually finish image

Good for age - Wow.  I can only dream of going that quick.

• Options
    I'm  with you TCP, at the moment I've only entered races close together, not finished them! Good luck with the speedy time Megster.
  • Options
    Can you pick your number up on the saturday afternoon, does it mention anywhere?
  • Options

Megster99,

Are you looking for a sub 3.50 time? If you are I can pace you around if you want.

I'll be doing 3.45/3.50 regardless.

• Options

Best of luck Megster - I dream of dipping below 4 hours, let alone actually running quickly, lol!!

Had a slow 45 minute run last night & legs were feeling ok, which was great after Monday's lethargy. Lots of nice rest (last day at work today for this week) should hopefully get me round ok.

Not quite a hare! - I haven't seen anything saying you can collect your number on Saturday in the race info pack.

• Options
    Thanks for the support, again all the best to you all, weather looks like it's going to be cooler which would be lovely!

Sean g, that is what I'm aiming for and would be grateful for help on the pacing, have my trustee garmin but some extra motivation wouldn't go amiss! What race no are you?
  • Options
    Megster99,

I'm No. 305 by all accounts.

Ran this one last year 3.44.12 which was my 3rd or 4th marathon in consecutive weeks.
  • Options
    I'm also shooting for 3:45 (or at least 3:50 for GFA) if legs, hills, and weather allow.

Does anyone know the course well? Am not sure what to expect in terms of hills/undulations - RW reviews seem to range from 'flat' to 'challenging'.

• Options

Ah looks like it will be collect on the morning then.  As long as the hills are not like the ones in Hastings, my legs will hopefully survive!

• Options

Would need to look at the course profile again, but don't remember anything sharp up (or down) or long, slow inclines. However, I did run 17 marathons and an ultra last year so some of the courses are a little "hazy" to say the least!

At its worst, undulating but that is better than hilly!

fhr, you're most welcome to join the party!

• Options
    Mr KMr K ✭✭✭
    Just treating as a training run really - not racing by any means. I`ve just booked a campsite 20 min away from the start line image
  • Options
    Thanks Sean! I might well join you for a few miles but am not a very cheery person when racing so won't inflict myself for the whole time image

btw there is a course profile on the race site but it doesn't specify the units (could be metres or feet), plus I'm not very used to looking at profiles so not sure how it would compare to something I think is 'flat'
  • Options

The units : vertical are in feet, horizontal in miles (obviously image)

• Options

fhr, wouldn't worry about being miserable I've got a 160 mile/3 hour drive each way for this one. Will need to be up and out of the house by 0430!

Chatting is optional so feel free to inflict yourself for as long as you wish, It will not offend me. Any company is better than running alone!

Megster99, are you good for the GFA 3.50 pacing group?

• Options
    Hey sean, will certainly be there for the pacing group! Don't envy your long drive there and back image See you guys there.
  • Options

Sean, Megster, FHR

I am also aiming for 3.45 / 3.50 so may join you for a bit if I may..........I am number 176.

• Options
    Andy N4,

More the merrier!
  • Options
    I'll be about an hour behind you. I'll wave you off from the start line as you speed off.

Also got a long journey home afterwards back up to london. Thinking of getting a few bags of ice to sooth the sore muscles along the journey. might be a few pitstops along the way.
  • Options

Thanks Sean , see you on Sunday.

• Options

Bright and sunny day here again, with a cooling breeze.  I hope for some cloud to keep the sun off until I finish. Will be up at 5.15 and setting off at 6.

Resting lots and eating loads of carbs all day Friday and today.  Sick of them already and not looking forward to the jacket potato and baked beans for lunch.  Did pop out earlier to buy a pack of lucozade for the 2 personal drink stations and emergency jelly babies (if I can keep the children away from them long enough).

Good luck tomorrow everyone!

• Options
    There are 12 kg of jelly babies distributed across various water stops... I think you can probably let your kids have yours image
  • Options
    TCPTCP ✭✭✭

Setting off for Dorset in a few hours time.  I thought I wouldn't make it to the start line as I woke on Thursday morning with the most severe pain in my lower back at the side.  No idea where it came from.  Only thing I can think of is a trapped nerve or something similar.  Maybe splet funny.  Spent all day at work on Thursday in pain and same yesterday.

However, today I work and its so much better.  Its still a dull ache but no shooting pain.  Who knows if it will come back during the race but hopefully not.  Very odd.

Might tack onto the back of the 3:50 pacing group if I can find you.  3:50 is my goal but given Brighton 3 weeks ago, warm weather and now my back, I have a plan B, C and D that I'd be happy with.

• Options
    TCPTCP ✭✭✭

And good luck to everyone running tomorrow.  Hopefully I'll be able to chat to some of you on the way round.

• Options
    The kids are hyper enough, I daren't give them jelly babies! 
  • Options

Good luck everybody!

I was in West Hampshire this afternoon, and found it warm.

However, it seems that we'll have a fresher start to the day tomorrow.

Hopefully we can all make some headway before the temperature starts rising!