Options

Virgin London Marathon 2011 First Timers

Comments

• Options
    Squeakz wrote (see)
    As time goes by im really begining to regret running London, I used to so love watching it and really respected and admired people who completed the distance.
    Personally I no longer feel this way about London which is a shame and its lost its magic for me.
    Having watched the recording of the TV coverage now, I find I have even less admiration for the event.
    I simply do not feel as if I achieved anything, the Grim Challenge was harder and more mentally challenging imho

Really sad about it. image

image  Well I don't regret it for one second, I loved every minute and given the chance I'd do it again in a heartbeat (though maybe not this Sunday).

I still have admiration for anyone who completes the distance, and I'm bloody proud of myself and everyone who crossed the finish line, especially those carrying injuries.

I'm sorry you feel this way, but maybe here is not the place to say you no longer have admiration for London when most of us are still totally buzzing from it?

Stephen - yay!  Pleased you got the image upload sorted.  Love the photos ... that cake is absolutely fantastic!

• Options

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/610091/Gallery/Mallamend.jpg

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/610091/Gallery/BigBenamend.jpg

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/610091/Gallery/Gates_of_Buck-Palamend.jpg

Shielsy - got the hang of it now image

Cant believe I still had the energy to smile for the camera and give the "thumbs up" in the last few hundred yards and how did I not see Buck Palace on the day? imageimage

Squeakz - have read somewhere that its not unusual to feel deflated after a marathon, I was on a real high Mon/Tues and then on a downer Wed/Thurs, tip-top now though.

• Options
    Stephen63 wrote (see)
    Squeakz - have read somewhere that its not unusual to feel deflated after a marathon, I was on a real high Mon/Tues and then on a downer Wed/Thurs, tip-top now though.
    OOohh I was not aware of that, i'll try to read up on it... Thanks for the info
  • Options
    Squeakz - copied following from info I received in an email from RW....

Congratulations: you've run your marathon! Now, unless you wish to spend the next few weeks plagued with soreness, sniffles and a soul-sapping sense of apathy, read on.

What you do in the days following a marathon is just as important as what you did before. Running 26.2 miles places high demands on the body and you’re likely to end up with depleted fuel stores, accumulated fluid in the muscles, dehydration and perhaps some damaged muscle tissue. So, not surprisingly, you will be susceptible to injury and infection after the race. You may also be feeling disorientated – or even depressed – in the come-down after achieving such a significant running goal.

Unfortunately, there’s no formula for calculating how long your body will take to recover – this will vary from runner to runner. A seasoned marathon runner – or someone whose training plan included a high mileage base – can expect to bounce back quicker than a marathon novice for example.

What you can do though, is make sure you know exactly what your body needs. Here’s how to deal with the most common post-marathon ailments, how to combat the blues and, of course, top advice on when and how to resume running.
  • Options

Thanks for the info Stephen image its been really helpful. I have been trying to undertand how I have been feeling for a couple of days or so, and its just been getting worse. 

Just been reading up further, on the subject. It seems like post Marathon blues is quite common. Im not sure this is what I have but I don't really know. It most certainly makes for interesting reading matter. It has been documented that choline, a neurotransmitter precursor, is depleted with marathon-like efforts, thereby having a bearing on depression in a similar way.

Awesome cake by the way.

• Options

squeakz dont worry you are not alone! I had to keep telling myself i was running the london  marathon as it didnt feel like i was, doesnt look from the ground like it does on telly, well not to me anyway! i mean the supporters were amazing and some of the sights pretty cool but generally i was pretty underwhelmed, my first marathon, dont know what i was expecting! not going to enter another one as i don't suppose it would get any better than and i am not sure i could run so far without such alot of crowd support anyway image

• Options

Have just spent ages reading everyones stories....really emotional....the highs the lows etc

I said NEVER again after nearly missing the start and injury coming back at only 8 miles in . But I finished, avoided the wall, ate and drank myself around the course and finished half hour longer than I would have liked at 5.20.19.

A day or so later I entered the Brighton 2012. I want to put right what didn't go to plan. Non-runners can't understand that but that's fine.

I am so proud of us all for getting over that finish line. It's totally surreal but amazing.

Funny story-my sister high-fiving the St.John's Ambulance people...only to end up with an unexpected handful of vaselineimage

God Bless you all

xxx

• Options

Squeakz it took my son 2 years and a bad bad episode to feel anything but depression after his first marathon. I didnt really know til way later. I think its just brain wiring ultimately. Its fine to feel however you feel dont let anyone say otherwise. Do whatever works for you, (fishy nibbles?) Ive ventured over to Facebook now and dont really like the format but hoping sons going to give me a training later on.

Any thoughts on that vest or is it just a bit much?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• Options
    Chris : Thanks for you kind words and support, I still intend to have some options for the vest by the middle of next week. Im trying to get some bal park figures in terms of prices and will post them and what exactly we get for that cost asap... No matter how I feel about the actual day itself, I really cherish this thread and the people on it.
    I would most certainly like a memento of that.
  • Options

hope every one is OK

Squeakz I felt a bit like you do I think I had built the London marathon up too much in my mind and when the day didn't meet the expectations was really down for a few days but I have set myself a few races to do and will do a marathon in Nottingham next year . went running on Tuesday and before the run was really ready to pack in running for good  but after the run with the club started to feel good about running again then coached on Thursday and that's when I put things into some form of prospective why did i fell so bad about somthing I realy enjoy  did a park run today and was just 22 seconds of my PB so I'm running again and looking forward to new challenges not looking back on old ones whats done is done and dwelling on things will not change anything I can only learn from my mistakes to make me a better person , I'm not saying that's what your going threw Squeaks but the feeling that London has lost its magic for you may be because as for all of us it was our first time something we all wanted to do one day , we got the chance we did it and that's when the magic stopped London will never be the same again for us we can no longer stand on the side lines and say one day i would love to do that somtimes we bild somthing up so much that in the end it doesnt mater how good it was you will always feel that it didnt deliver what you wanted it to

• Options

Just to say

as i've been away all week, straight after spectating at London

hope you ALL had a great day, a super run and hope you all achieved your dreams

boy was it warm, so i hope no one suffered undually

wishing you ALL many, many more happy marathons

• Options
    Thanks Mick, lots of mixed emotions. All the best to you and family for the future.
  • Options

hello everyone and a very belated race report from me. Been trying to catch up with all the posts but that may take some time!

I too felt a bit deflated, both with my own performance and with the day itself. been battling knee injuries for months and on the day they got the better of me- pain set in about 18 miles and I was shuffling to end. Aiming for 4:30 and was gutted with my 5:18. My family and friends have all said the usual things about doing well to finish and doing well in the heat etc, but I'm 27 and feel I should be able to do a much faster marathon than I did.

Since the day I ve actually had problems with my foot and ankle, which interestingly didnt bother me before! had an xray yesterday but was advised stress fractures dont show on x ray anyway. . . .

Re the race - organisation: excellent. Support: excellent. Route: excellent - so why didnt I enjoy it as much as expected? Who knows! I too have watched the marathon every year and been overwhelmed by the event but just didnt feel that way on the day. Maybe the pain, maybe the heat, I dont know but that makes me feel really sad, cos I  feel I didnt do it justice.

Before sunday, I said never again. I love running, but have decided this isnt the distance for me, I dont enjoy the long long training runs. Back to 10k and halfs for me now. On finishing on sunday I said never again. but now........thinking would I like to do another and better my time? Maybe. Life as a medical student, plus working part time is a bit hectic so may have to wait a few years but think i may be tempted in the future. Crazy!

So no running for me just now - physios orders were 2months off. Missing it already! spin classes and swimming for me this week.

Thanks to everyone for all the support and well done everyone!

• Options

ps - I have seen my race photos but where did you get the videos?

• Options
    Chin up Squeakz - I've been feeling really odd this week too - physically and emotionally quite low which isn't like me at all. I didn't have the kind of race I wanted or hoped for - heat, crippling cramp and a wall of nausea all did for me but I'm delighted I ran it, finished and all that but this week have really felt off key - I do wonder if it's a chemical thing that pushing yourself that far just knocks the balance off somewhere?? I'm just relaxing and trying to look after myself - you take care too hey and hopefully next week all those of us feeling a bit blue will get back to normal!
  • Options
    It is really normal to feel low after a marathon - even more so for the big ones (london, new york etc) because of all the hype - never mind the fact that in the UK so many people seem to think London is THE marathon. It is inevitable that you will have a bit of a crash afterwards.

Without a doubt the best thing to do is to enter another race asap. Some other marathons are much more fun than London and because they are less hyped - you don't get quite the same crash afterwards.

Nearby for example - Dublin is excellent - wonderful atmosphere - easy to get to the start etc and enough of a buzz without being overwhelming. Edinburgh is similar. Nice size - not too busy (and the fastest course in the country).

Another one that is the exact opposite of London is the Loch Ness marathon - absolutely beautiful - simply stunning - and barely a spectator for miles. Great fun.
  • Options
    havent run all week - first two day my legs were twitching like mad, especially at night, but now i think i am ready to go out - except it is too hot! really worried about weight gain as i don;t seem to stop eating and obviously not burning it off either :/ have entered great south run in october to give me something to aim for - great run in portsmouth, only (!) 10 miles - wow never thought i would say that. if you fancy entering i would suggest quite soon as they sold out by first week of may last year. not going to do the charity route ever again ,. sooo much pressure, still least it took my mind off other things and gave me that final incentive to keep going. ballot for london opens soon, i don't want to do another london marathon, well i do, to get under 5.00, but i don't as i can't be doing with the lsrs, so why am i waiting for the ballot to open? I love the feeling of being so fit i can run 26.2 though! anyone else undecided about running distances since london?
  • Options

Nope , want to do it again and will get into the registration on Tuesday . I know I can do better than the 4-18 -51 that I done . My training splits were much better than race day , yes it was hotter than usual , might well had an affect on matters , what got me though , was there were many runners way further up the 'pens' than myself , who , rightly or wrongly who I thought maybe should've not been  [maybe a few white lies on their applications?] , as they were struggling from near the start and were passed by numerous runners who were way further back in the pens . Although on reflection , it may well have been the weather / injury / bad day with them as well ?

If I do get in , I will concentrate on doing more races before the London one , as I only got the one in [Lliswerry 8 , Newport ] .

Another thing I'll have to save big time for that w/e , it cost me a bloody fortune , with travel , hotel , kids !

Can't wait till Tueday  image 

• Options
    not going to enter London going to wait and enter Nottingham next year I have not finished with the marathon but do not want the hastle of the expo and the traveling much rather do a race closer to home sleep in my own bed eat what i want when i want and have an hours werth of travel on day
  • Options
    Been on a few forums and website and it seems that the date for next years race will be on Sun 22nd Apr'12 ,  if so , it could be a tad warmer me thinks ? Have tried booking a hotel for that w/e , but they are full already , darn it ! I didn't mind the Expo and the traveling between different locations [the family maybe did though!] , but I know what you mean foofighter , nothing like being in your own familiar surroundings when you need to concentrate for something important . I'll do a few more races around SE Wales before I venture down to London , if accepted , that is - fingers crossed .
  • Options
    Phatboyrunning wrote (see)
    Muppley - you say you spoke to Runphatboyrun.....I am Pahtboyrunning. Slight difference so either you typed and I did indeed blank you in my run fugged mind, or you chatted up an even stranger stranger!!!

oh dear poor bloke no wonder he looked at me in a really strange way cant believe he didnt ask th st johns to take me away for hallucination problems!!!

Stephen63 wrote (see)
    Shielsy - thanks for that, u r top of the list girl for gold circle tickets next time round image Two further comments I had added to my last post but had to remove because of the *too many characters" rule. Shielsy - try and ignore comments of a personal nature, especially when they are clearly untrue, you normally find that people who say such things are either jealous of other peoples achievements or have some sort of hang up about their on bods. Muppley - would loved to have saw the look on the guys face after your justifiable verbal attack and I bet he couldn't even run out of your way!

he was so taken aback he kinda just went "oh err well done!!"

oh squeakz i feel so sad that u feel that way not being offensive to anyone else on this forum but u made this forum what it was and was the back bone of the whole thing and a wealth of knowledge i hope ur feelings changed

i just entered London 2012!!!!!!

• Options
    Entered - just need to send positive vibes for a place ! Already discussing what I will do differently next time !

Decided not to tell anyone about entering & just plan to hopefully get a place & plug away with training by myself !

Good luck everyone !
  • Options
    yep me too.....dont want too much pressure but to be honest could never be as bad!
  • Options
    are we staying in this forum???
  • Options
    Hi gang for some reason I decided to enter again, not certain why perhaps I have some unfinished business... lol
  • Options
    theres a group on face book thats carrying over from this
  • Options

Morning all image

I think we shold just keep this one going so we don't inundate RW with new threads image This has all our info on it as well....not that we can ever find it mind!! image

Doddy40 - Snap! Will just wait and see and then do this one quietly if I get in.

• Options
    mattys mum wrote (see)
    theres a group on face book thats carrying over from this
    Still trying to get Squeakz to set up a fake account so he can join us image
  • Options
    whats the facebook group???
  • Options

Be interesting to see how many of us actually get in! I probably will just when i dont really care either way! can forget about it now for  5 months... cant actually believe i entered...one quickly forgetsimage