Options

Virgin London Marathon 2011 First Timers

Comments

• Options
    You are right Julie the second half has very little suport from crowds and is flater then the first but not flat
    NSGNR all the pics of me are of me walking so it looks like i walked round thats what i ment by it looks like I was out for a strole
  • Options

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/601409/Gallery/Fullscreen_capture_03052011_183927.jpg

I eventually worked out how to do this - thanks to Alison C - I saw her instructions a few pages back. I think this is the only photo where I am not looking at the ground image.

Foofighter - oh no!! We'll both have to be better prepared for the photographers next time- work out where they are beforehand so we can fly past them with smiles on our faces!! I was too busy looking at the ground to notice any photographs being taken...

• Options
    Good pic NSGNR I was so fed up with my performance ( or lack of it ) that i didnt even go to have a photo at the end with my medal image
  • Options

Good pic NSGNR as FF say! image

finally feel better, cough going!  and have run a 4 miler and 3 miler this week so farimage  time to cheer up and look forward to the next race/run challenge.... probably Gairloch 10k and then the JogScotland 5k challenge.

short I know.. but there are a few half marathons to pick from in the next few months too! 

• Options
    Same here regarding the running , have done 3 so far , all 5.37km around the local bridges over the River Usk in Newport , all quicker than I had done before , with a PB for the distance and 5km as well . Hopefully I can continue in the same vein with the longer distances and get into races in the local area , unfortunately the ones I want to enter are either when we are on holiday or on the wrong shift pattern. Going to try and crop/edit my photo as per all the others on here and FB , but I'm not all that adapt on the computer side of things , so can anybody mail me step by step instructions on how to do it , thanks in advance .
  • Options
    Doing the Sheffield half on sunday did a ten mile race last saturday and took 2.21 off my PB for that distance so hopeing for good things for the half
  • Options
    Hi all, I too hate FB just did it to keep up with folks but thinking of taking it down again. This is so much more straight forward. The whole 'friend' thing is such a farce and embarrassing in my case for various reasons. Anyway glad theres still some here. Am embarking on the plan from 'Heart Rate training for compleat idiots' its American hence the rubbish spelling but even though means going slower even than I usually do for a while it kind of makes sense. We'll see.
  • Options

I'm the same with FB as well , as you said , just trying to keep up with the forum users , much easier on here , I was originally on there though , just for the Trust Fund members over the rugby and keeping the parents informed of what was happening with the mini-football team that I coach/manage , but it's gone absolutely mental with 'friends' and 'friends of friends' etc . ,coming out of the woodwork , who I don't even know or hardly know fom the past , might just deactivate anyway and concentrate on this and the other forums I'm a member of . Anyway whats wrong with texting !? image

• Options

wow couldnt have put it better. I was beginning to think it was my age! I just want to communicate one to one when I need to and then have this for mutual interest. Simples!

• Options
    Farsbook is the dark side ,a place to share your inner self with everyone and be introdused to people that are freinds you didnt even know you had have never met and never will
  • Options

I don't mind fb myself but I do find the format of this forum much easier to follow. Before this one I'd never followed a forum before but everyone on here has been so helpful and supportive in preparation for my first ever marathon. I'm really interested in what everyone goes on to do now so I'll keeping checking in on this page and I hope that some of you continue to post.

For me, I've decided that I must do another marathon!!!! I hated London so much that I need to run the distance again so that I can enjoy it this time. And besides - I still have the appetitie of a marathon runner but I'm currently without the miles to burn those extra calories off!!! Not a good mix at all!

• Options

not just me then, think i have put half a stone on in three weeks!

• Options
    Just went for the first run I actually wanted to do since the marathon and really enjoyed it, I feel great like imgetting my mojo back
  • Options
    On my way to do my local half a bit windy but looks like a good day
  • Options
    Good luck FF , hope you enjoy it . Not so adventurous regarding the mileage , have been sticking with the 5K+ since the marathon , will gradually build it up . Haven't got any plans for races in the near future , except for the local [Newport] Park Runs every Saturday at 9am , that'll do for now .
  • Options
    Squeakz hows the foot? Should have done a 5 mile race today but just not got the umph! having a moving ecg on Fri and having been determined not to think about it before the vlm its now creeping to the front. hae signed up for the Kilomarathon in Oct to will get going again next week.........hopefully! The food intake needs to be balanced anyway!
  • Options
    The foot feels really good at the moment but im still taking it easy and running more trail and grass than road surfaces and the recent checkup went well, so its rally positive. Im starting to take more interest in the technical aspects of my running, I've just starting reading a book by danny abshire caled natural running which explains a great deal about things which effect me, i find that im enjoying running a lot more by trying some of the things in book.

Im still uncertain about how I feel about the VLM but I think I have unfinished business with the marathon distance

Just feeling really good at the moment and enjoying my running, which is great
  • Options
    Hey guys,...well i did a half today....didnt really push it cos i thought if i got cramp or hated it as much as VLM i would never run again. It was good...hard cos it was so humid but enjoyed. Way off pb but determined to build on half times over the summer. If i had not entered this half i`m not sure i would have run again after London.
  • Options

Had a good run today at Sheffield Half got 1.51.16 so took 3.06 off my last PB was aiming for sub 1.50 but the wind/hills and lack of speed work put a dent in that ambition realy happy with how things went though as at a few points in the race the sun came out to try to spoil the day image I was promised rain

good to hear things are going well Squeakz

what Half did you do Mattys mum ?

• Options
    Bracknell. I`m still running at marathon pace...bad habit i gotta get out of.Just wanted to enjoy...now the speedwork starts. Wel done FF...great time. Dont know bout you but it just felt really good to get a race done... especially after my London disaster!
  • Options

well done MattysM and FooF. I on the other hand chickened out of a 5 miler!

glad the foots going good Squeakz. I toyed with the 'natural running' and 'chi running malarkey' . Thought about doing a course but they all go quicker than me! That whole being concious of what you are doing cant be bad. Have you looked at Alexander technique too? Did you see those shoes with seperate toes at Expo? 

• Options

Hello everyone

I haven't been posting as I thought everyone had gone to the dreaded Facebook, but it seems not everyone has!  It is way too complicated and time consuming for me and I like a simple life.

Great to hear some of you are racing again and training.  I managed to knacker my legs so badly in the Marathon that I still can't run!  I can just about manage a mile and then my left knee starts to hurt, and as I have no race to train for I have decided to wait until it is better before attempting any more training.  However, I am swimming though and going to the gym as I don't want to lose the fitness I gained training for London.

I have not entered the ballot for next year.  I would want to beat this year's time and would be disappointed if I didn't.  The amount of training I would have to do to better my time would probably almost kill me anyway!  And I rather doubt I could do much better.  My time wasn't fast but I was happy with it so I think I will just leave it at that.

I will be looking for a new challenge soon though, just not quite that far.  Maybe a half later in the year if I can get my legs working properly again!

• Options
    BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

I know this is very early but I hoped previous runners could give me a bit of advice in regards to handy hotels in London for 2012.

I’m crossing from Northern Ireland on Saturday 21/04/12 and after the marathon will be flying out of Gatwick on Monday 23/04/12 to go on holiday. I therefore plan on staying at a Gatwick hotel on Sunday night and a hotel handy for the marathon on Saturday.

So can anyone give me any advice on a good hotel to stay in or even what area would be best? I will need to get to the Expo on Saturday and then after going back to my hotel on Sunday will need to get to Victoria Station to catch the Gatwick express. Obviously a hotel with a late check out would be beneficial.

I don’t know London at all so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Options
    if you are on Face book a lot from here have gone over. Check vlm newbies group. good luck.
  • Options
    As you said Mattys mum just felt good to get into race mode and I have got two PBs in two weeks over 10 miles and then the half so somthing good has come out of London and all that training
  • Options

Badbark

I would suggest staying at a hotel near Victoria station on the Saturday night.  It's easy to get to Expo from Victoria  on the Saturday afternoon and on race day morning its only a couple of stops on the tube to Charing X where you get the train to Greenwich Park.  After the race you can easily get back to Victoria from the finish - a few tube stops. You can leave luggage at the hotel (possibly) or left luggage office at the station.

Or stay near Charing X.  Even easier to get to Expo on Saturday (Jubilee line then DRL).  Trains to the start of race leave from Charing X.  Its also probably the nearest tube station to the finish line.  Very short walk to Embankment tube station from Charing X will get you on Circle/District line to Victoria Station (a couple of stops) to get train to Gatwick.  Luggage can be left at Charing X station.

However, hotels in central London are very expensive and not always that great.  Travel Lodge are good if you just want a place to sleep.  Hard to advise further without knowing your budget! Or whether you will travelling with other people who can look after bags etc for you. 

You don't want to be doing too much walking/carrying after the race - I could hardly move, just seized up, so unless you are a seasoned and experienced long distance runner, beware!

• Options
    Done another 5km+ yesterday , felt good all the way around , gusty wind though , then about 10yds from the house , my left calf went , well and truly peeved off , tried icing it etc. , but no good at the mo ! Regarding hotels on the Saturday Badbark , I stayed at the Premier Inn Tower Bridge last time and have booked up there for next year if accepted for the VLM 2012 . It's quite central to everything , not far to the Tower Gate station and the DLR to the Excel , plus on raceday , not far either to London Bridge station to get to Bracknell .
  • Options
    Miss KneesMiss Knees ✭✭✭

Hey all, nice to see chatting stil going on here as well as FB image We should all be able to find each other at least!! image

Good to hear you did the half MM and enjoyed it, sounds like it's going good for you too FF & Squeakz.

Squeakz we should sort a Virginia Waters run at some stage, be lovely to get over there and see the sights. Saying that though I'm offf to the docs finally tonight to see what I've done to my knee in the VLM. Ran a half yesterday and it wasn't best pleased with me but I cracked on. Now it's nice and fat again to show the doc image

• Options
    Miss KneesMiss Knees ✭✭✭
    I've stuck a document on our FB newbie page so we can see all the runs we are all doing in one place. That way if you don't like FB you can at least log on, see where people are running and join up if you want to without having to hang round on FB too long image Hope it helps image