Options

Virgin London Marathon 2011 First Timers

Comments

• Options
    all crazy! I haven't even run again yet, full of cold and cough! image
  • Options
    i`m sure miss knees will help u out with that....she`s all up with it when it comes to that kinda thing....and shes in charge of admin!!!image
  • Options
  • Options
    Miss Knees wrote (see)
    Muppley wrote (see)
    whats the facebook group???
    Here you go imagehttps://www.facebook.com/#!/home.php?sk=group_209122665772314&ap=1
    not allowed facebook on work pc have you got the actual group name so i can search using my phone
  • Options

We are the VLM Newbies 2011

• Options
    only problem is getting used to all the weird names on there!!!
  • Options
    Miss Knees wrote (see)
    Still trying to get Squeakz to set up a fake account so he can join us image
    Please don't make me do it image
    Its a dreadful place.
  • Options
    mattys mum wrote (see)
    only problem is getting used to all the weird names on there!!!

LOL image Yes thank god for the list of alias!! I'd be lost witn who most people were image

Squeakz wrote (see)

Miss Knees wrote (see)
    Still trying to get Squeakz to set up a fake account so he can join us image
    Please don't make me do it image
    Its a dreadful place.

Ah it's only so you can be with us image If it's not your thing then no problem, we can all still find you on here and email image

• Options

I've just joined up so you can't escape me, but I cant say I really use the app. It serves no purpose to me.

Im going to get my vo2max and lactate threshold measured so I can train more effectively, if you fancy coming along kneesy, ill treat you image

http://www.csmhp.org/high_performance_testing.php

Signed up for the tough guy and race the train so far, common kneesy you like these silly events like me, fancy running against a train??

http://www.racethetrain.com/

• Options

I`m gonna try and be more scientific bout stuff this time...particularly fluids etc!!

catch u on FB later then squeakz!

• Options
    nope cant find it can someone add me Lisa N Matt Ford and invite me x
  • Options

Woooo hooo! We got you ;)

I can't believe you signed up for Tough Guy!! That's fab news image I thought it was harder than the marathon so brace yourself. If you don't 'discover' something about yourself after TG, you are dead inside image I discovered I don't like feeling traumatised after a race......but still signed up again lol imageimage

I like the sound of Race the Train but think I'll have to save it for next year as I am fully booked up now for 2011.

Thanks for the test offer image I'll give it a miss though as I fear it would be wasted on me image I have a tendancy to walk out the door and forget all the important stuff and just crack on running as I always did image I'm never going to be an athlete but I do like to just run image

• Options
    Muppley wrote (see)
    nope cant find it can someone add me Lisa N Matt Ford and invite me x
    Just added you as a friend LIsa, then I can ping you into the group image
  • Options
    just seen that request and confirmed - thank you xx
  • Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Squeakz - Race the train looks like a good event! Although I think my chances of beating the train would be slim, I am taking on my first 100 miler in July so I am expecting to not be running with any real pace for most of August! Any ideas how long the train takes to make the trip? Had a quick glance on the link you put up but didn't see it.

Best of luck for Tough Guy mate (and Miss Knees). The best bit of advice i can think of is just go flat out! image the faster you force yourself to move the warmer you will stay. oh, and wear as minimal clothing as possible... Wet clothes=Severely Cold person!

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Shielsy wrote (see)

For people with Macbooks:

Open up the thumbnail of the picture, then press Shift, the apple key and 4 at the same time.  You should then see that your curser turns into a crosshairs sort of thingie.

Click and drag around the image you want to copy.

Once you leave go, you should hear a camera shutter sound going, letting you know that the selected image has been copied.

It should have saved the image automatically to your desktop, so you can just do what you want with it from there.

Voila:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/123821/Gallery/Finished%21_0.jpg

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/123821/Gallery/TowerBridge_0.jpg

I'm still going to buy the downloadable images though - they're very expensive, this is true, but there's quite a few of me I like and the race itself is really cheap, comparatively speaking, and I know there's quite a few family members who want copies.

Shielsy - How you look so fresh after a marathon is amazing! I looked a state... at mile 15 onwards! haha. Also, is the pose of someone who is a pretty elite shopper as well?!

Muppley - How is the foot? I bet the day after was sore for you.

It is good to see some pics of people to put the faces to names... Here is one of me. It appears St Johns didn't have much faith in me. I wonder if they followed me the whole route!?

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/511696/Gallery/vlm_0.JPG

• Options
    Thank you, WiB ... I think I was just buzzing after the marathon and grinning like a mad thing. Great photo, btw ... it's always good to get snapped when you've got both feet off the ground.

First time running for me tonight: jogged the 1.5 miles to club, and it felt so weird to be pounding the pavements again, almost like my legs didn't belong to me. The session was half mile intervals round the park with 90 second recoveries ... x6. Managed 7.20m/m pace, which I was pleased with but it nearly killed me.
  • Options

glad to see youre hanging on with this. FB getting too complicated for me and may just cancel the whole thing!

Did first 5 yesterday and felt rubbish for first 2 then not too bad! But am going to do a proper heart rate monitoring effort for a couple of months, oh and a 5mile  girly race on May 8 prob in marathon gear! Attached to having my name called out now. Onward and upward!

• Options

no Chris......stay on facebook.!!!!

• Options

hi all,

I just want to say good luck to you all for the future, I have posted a link to the Gairloch 10k on a couple of forums and some of the responses were not too pleasant, so will be giving all this forum stuff a miss, totally disillusioned with it now.

All I wanted to do was get a few more runners interested in it. image

Best wishes 

A

• Options

Alison dont get down. Theres always the idiots everywhere. re you on the Face book thing? LOts of the original VLm ers are over there. Just look back and theres a link somewhere if you arenot there already.

Mattys mum thanks, its just a bit complicated. I'll explain if/when we meet! Prob hang on anyway.

• Options

sorry to ask again but someone mentioned finish line video and I'm wondering where folks got  hold of this?

• Options
    NIchola Cochrane - I think a forumite has a thread about this ... look in the Spring Marathon section of the forum and look for it ... I think his name is Welsh Alex.
  • Options

Where has everyone gone? I've returned from my holiday in Lanzarote, where I enjoyed eleven days of doing absolutely nothing!!!

The photos of you all look amazing. I've seen my marathonfoto pics and I can't believe how much my head is down. It's at virtually 90degrees and I'm looking at the floor on every pic. I certainly won't be paying for those pictures though I quite like the one at the end with my medal.

I hope everyone managed to get round the course ok, especially in that heat. I need to read back and catch up on all of the posts to see how everyone did. For me, I need to set myself a new running target as the holiday over indulgence has not done anything for my waistline!!!

• Options

I'd just like to say thank you to all of you......I hadn't ventured onto this forum before today but I too ran VLM for the first time this year and am currently feeling quite deflated...

I went away on holiday the day after the marathon so also missed the hype and congratulations from friends from completing.

I'm quite embarrassed to say (or was until I read some of your posts) that I actually didn't enjoy a single second of the marathon - other than finishing! I don't even know why really, i think I'd just built it up far too much before hand and was sooo excited.

It didn;t help that I couldn;t run for 3 weeks before the race due to a calf strain so come race day I had mixed feelings of worry about whether or not my calf was recovered enough to run but also really looking forward to running again......but then although I was in pen 6, I think I joined the pen too late and ended up with quite a lot of slower runners so I couldn't actually get up to the pace I wanted which just really frustrated me.

Then my injury flared up at mile 5 so had to keep stopping to stretch it out.....and then the heat! I didn;t realise how much that would affect me but it really did.

Yes the crowds were great and I had lots of name calls but only managed to see my husband once and I was really so much in my own little bubble that the crowds just sort of seemed to fade into the background.

I finally finished in 4:33 after hoping for a sub 4 (previously did a 20 mile race in 3 hrs) BUT I was till really happy with that time as i know i gave it my absolute all. I am proud of my time and do feel a real sense of achivement but i can honestly say that is didn't enjoy the race - is something wrong with me?

I've entered the ballot for next year as would like to give it another shot but won;t be too disappointed if i don't get a place - I think a smaller marathon closer to home might be more suited. I live the east midlands so Nottingham could be good next year (not around this year), also quite fancy Edinburgh but not sure about the heat in May?

Certainly not ready to hang up my marathon trainers just yet! Wished I'd visted this thread before the event!

• Options

think most have gone to the dark side that is Facebook but some still lurkimage , Good to hear you had a good holiday

Most of my photos look like im out for a sunday strole image

• Options

Foofighter - I've been over to the facebook page but I'm rather confused as most people have a completely different name and I don't know who is who!!! How did you manage to look like you were out for a stroll? I look absolutely knackered on mine!! I see you're planning on doing the Nottingham marathon - I'll have to have a search for that one.

Julie B - well done!! Your preparation and performnce on the day sound reminiscent of mine. I found it sooo difficult on the day! I've entered the ballot for this year though after swearing I'd never do it again!!

• Options
    I hate fb its a horrible and disorganized app

Nsgnr there is a document on facebook called aliases which shoe who is who
  • Options

Thanks Squeakz - I'll look for that. May help with my confusion!!

I've had a look at the nottingham marathon but it's a week before the Great North Run. I really want to sign up for another marathon though. I want to enjoy it this time!!

• Options
    The nottingham one also does a half.....half is meant to be really good with loads of support but from what i hear (I'm from Nottingham but never actually been to see it!), the crowds dwindle when the marathon runners take their own route (about mile 12 i think) so you need to be mentally prepared - the second half is meant to be flat though!