Options

Snowdonia Marathon 2011

Comments

• Options
    All the very best everyone.

Managed to stick to my AM training schedule this week. I have had to play with the plan to accommodate work, but 12 miles to do tomorrow will put me on 72 for the week. If the forecast is correct then the snow / ice should start to thaw tomorrow afternoon.

JD sorry to hear of your calf strain, hopefully it is not to serious and you will be back up and running this week.
  • Options

SK4- well done on the trainingimage. The calf strain's not bad- just want to keep it that way-both calves are sore now, despite not running- think it's a reaction to pounding along compacted ice for miles with virtually no cushioningimage. Or perhaps I'm allergic to not runningimage

LOVE THE WEATHER FORECASTimageimageimageimageimage

• Options

Take it easy jd. I hope that you have no issues with your treadmill - my wife & I bought a York one 2 months ago (joint birthday present) - 1st one didn't work, incline motor on the 2nd one broke within 3 weeks - my wife didn't want a 3rd one and has been put off getting one now! With hindsite should have got a Reebook one - have heard they are very good/sturdy machines - I guess you get what you pay for?

Hope everyone has had a good Christmas

An enjoyable early morning 9miler for me around Betws-y-Coed today - loving my running at the mo. Have decided to give another local a go in the new year - a bit closer to home, more convenient running nights and, I think, more suited to my running needs.

• Options

JB- good runningimage.  What's the local? Pub or running club ?imageTBH I hate the idea of using a treadmill on principle; I run to get away from everything and enjoy the elements and the scenery, but Mrs JD has shown some interest in using said contraption and little JD (aged 4) loved running on the manual one (crap!), so worth getting and will prevent me getting frustrated by snow.image Machine  was half price in Argos Reebok Edge

IT RAINED LAST NIGHT!!! Got out for 6m this evening for the first time in nearly a week- this is probably the longest I have gone without running in 2 years!!! Joking aside, i think my mystery pains in both calves were  down to not running as they felt better after the first 4m and are good now! Peeing down here nowimageimageimage Never thought i'd be so glad to see rain.

• Options

HI all

Hope you all had a great Christmas and have a brill new year!!

Like wise loads of rain here the snow has gone!!! yipeeeimage Back on a structured training program in the morning with a 5miler alarm clock set for 5am as I'm back in work tomorrowimage My leg feeling great now no tightness in muscleimage

• Options
    TR 38 - Good stuff, I'm pleased that your legs are better. Apart from the work aspect, the tone of your last message leads me to think that your in good spirits and looking forward to the running challenges 2011 will bring. Good luck with the program, I hope you stay injury free.

I've just entered the Chester Marathon, Oct 2011, entries appear to be filling up quite quickly. I will be doing Chester and Snod next Oct, that said they are a few weeks apart and Chester is a flat course in comparison.

This morning I did 8 miles with 10 x 100 mts strides as per my AM schedule.

• Options

SK4Thanks, It's good to be out running again and thankfully I don't seem to have lost to much fitness haven't run over 8miles in one go since Conwy Half. I was thinking about Chester seems a bit close to snod?

4miles for me this morning 8:27,8:20,8:09,7:42 really enjoyed it 5miler in the morningimage

• Options
    Today's Training Tale: I set out to do 4-5 miles off-road and steady at about 3.30pm, only once I was on the Trans Pennine Way, I discovered half the trails were still too icy to run on, so had to go where ever the paths were clear. End result? I got hopelessly lost image
    Wouldn't normally be a problem, but with the sun setting I'll confess to being a little panicked.
    8.5 miles later, I stumbled through the door - muddied, wet and a little frazzled, half expecting Mr F to be a touch concerned at my lateness. Ha! Hadn't even noticed I'd gone image
  • Options

SK and TR- good runningimage

Frodo- eventful running!image Sounds like a page straight out of Mr Rex's Training Logimage. Talking of whom, hope you're still on the mend TRimage

10m for me today and middle 5m was supposed to be tempo pace, but felt really sluggish and it was a real struggle. Didn't help that I got home to realise that I'd put an ancient retired pair of shoes on by mistake- might explain the back ache that came on with 3m to go. STOOOPID!image Oh well, 3 more runs for 2010 to goimage

• Options
    panadpanad ✭✭✭

today was NOT a day for a off-road run through the woods and over the fields......

about 2 miles in i met rather a lot of portly tweed-dressed men with dogs and shotguns image

needless to say i went the opposite way rather quickly!

T-Rex that figgy pudding was divine!

• Options

JD Hope the back gets better.

Frodo Glad you made it home safelyimage

Panad Think I'd rather get lost than run into men with shotguns!!!image   

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Frodo - that does sound remarkably like one of my runs!! image

panad - pleased about that.  Have you scoffed the lot already? Ours nearly finished, but still two more to start yet image.  One I left on for 16 hours by mistake so hope it's all right.

Been working a lot over Christmas (OOH GP service).  Hopelessly overwhelmed as usual, especially over these 4-day specials.  Got the car hopelessly stuck visiting a farm yesterday - I knew I shouldn't have gone down the tiny lane with a 1:5 hill and no tarmac showing through the ice.  There was no way our 2-wheel drive vehicle was going to get back up there, but a friendly guy towed us a mile back to the main road using his pick-up.  My calamities seem to continue into work as well.

Just going to settle into my other job for a couple of hours now with a nice glass of 18-year-old Armagnac.

• Options
    panadpanad ✭✭✭
    No, got one left here as well TRex - saving that one for New Year image
  • Options

Mr Rex- good to hear from you- hope you enjoyed the armagnacimage

TR38- thanks- a few little twinges today, but nothing too badimage

Water crisis in our area at the moment- image 24 hours now and around 3000 houses without water. We have got a few water tanks around the village.... but no-one's been out to fill them up yetimage went to OH's mum's with our 25l camping water container to fill up, so not too bad. 14m for me today- first 9 around 8.15, last 5 around 7.25 and no showerimage

• Options

Hi,

absolutely nothing to do with the recent thread.. but what shoes do people run in for this marathon given its a mix of off and on road?   I've done a few road marathons in the past, but only ever run in stability shoes like Asics Kayano.. would I come a cropper in these during this marathon?

I'm sorely tempted to sign up on New Year's day.   Should I get myself a pair of trail shoes and get used to them?

thanks

PS that water crisis is not on!  unbelievable!

• Options

Rob- road shoes are recommended. the offroad sections are short.

Still no waterimage

• Options
    Gosh quiet on here! 6.32m today at easy pace was easy (not always the case!). Watched panto today (oh yes, i did!). Still no water on tap- took bucket into the shower after tonight's runimageimage 
  • Options
    Boo to the no water, JD image

I keep find myself loitering on the Lakeland 50 website. Someone talk sense to me, please...
  • Options

Rob - I've worn racing flats for the last 4yrs - no need for trail shoes imo

JD - hope water is back on soon - no probs water wise in my village, although water in village 2miles away was off for almost 2 days!

Lakeland 50 - if I wanted a divorce petition served, me telling my wife that I'd entered for it would be one of the best ways!!

• Options

TR - interesting that you say your aches and pains down to no running.    I really suffer with my knees if I can't get out for a run every couple of days .... so looks like I'm doomed to a life of runningimage

JD - all that running and no water!!    Fancy a swim, anyone?

Last run of the year for me today - nice, speedy Club run - no ice and, for once, I was too warm and overdressed!   Very few people out tonight, so the pace was quick and I reckon I was running at race pace all the way!   Got to be good training for something!!

Enjoy the New Year's celebrations folksimage  

• Options
    thanks for the replies regarding shoes!
  • Options
    Frodo - You know you want to, do it today and save a few quid as the cost goes up midnight. I entered the Lakeland 50 earlier in the month, I've booked myself on a recce day 16th Jan, looking forward to it.

20 miles for me this morning without any ice or snow, good to get back to normal conditions.

JD hope the water is back on for you soon, it must be a right pain in the backside having no water.

All the best everyone.
  • Options

Hi all, hope you all have a good 2011's running image.

Is anyone planning on doing the Kielder marathon ? Apparently it's got the same amount of ascent as SNOD, but it's on the trail around Kielder forest, so less hammer on the legs image (and you get to beat Steve Cram - well JB would at least image).

• Options

An early Happy New Year to one and all!image

Still no water here.....image

My treadmill came todayimage. Just finished 12.1m on it- only problem was converting pace (mins per mile) into mph, but found a handy converterimage. 12.1m in 1:34.31 gives me a total of 3214.46m in 443:17.08imageimage

• Options

Blimey jd - 12mile on a treadmill that's some going/dedication

Just back from a nice lumpy 10k with thoughts of resolutions, goals etc - one of them has to be sub 3h at the Snowdonia Marathon - if I can get some decent miles in this year (unliked in the 2nd 1/2 of 2010)......

With best wishes to all on this thread - hope that you all have an injury/niggle free and a PB full year!

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

JB- lol- new toy syndrome - tbh the worst part of it was it was so blooming warm compared with running outside. But- no more getting stopped by snow and ice for me!imageWell done on the 10k and good luck with the targetsimage

6m for me this morning- made the most of the fact it's New Year's Day morning to run along the, usually busy, main roadimage

So, who's entered then?image 

• Options

Hey image

Where can I enter, looks like the website isn't updated yet?

Happy New Year image

• Options
    panadpanad ✭✭✭

No, it didn't look like it'd been updated yet to me either RSR -just got back from a lovely wet and breezy 12miler along the coast and was looking forward to entering the marathon on my return!

O well,plenty of time image

Blwyddyn Newydd Dda pawb!
    Happy New Year everyone!
  • Options

Getting impatient now!!!

Happy New Year everyone.....hope this year brings everything that eveyone wants from it!!!

• Options

Happy New Year to everyone

Just managed to enter for this years race. Accomodation already booked, can't wait to get my 4th slate coaster.