Options

Snowdonia Marathon 2011

Comments

• Options

Frodo- 12 week plan is good, but not as effective as the 18 week. Obviously though, you need a base mileage before embarking on the programme- the amount of miles ran before starting are discussed at the beginning of each of the programmes. It might be better choosing an 18 week plan with a lower weekly mileage-??

NQ2- Wouldn't advise trying to keep mileage high all year- you need a break and need to periodise your training into mesocycles.

6m nice and slow recovery plod for me tonight- last half a mile in a snowstormimage- not sticking at the moment though cos roads are too wetimage

• Options

its bloody stuck here JD .......dont suppose my kiddies will be in school tomorrowimage

Interesting .....what you are saying about the mileage ......was just thinking of keeping it up slightly from the usual summer 6 mile plods !!!!  making the ease back into marathon training a bit less daunting ...just testing the waters i suppose with becoming someone who seems to prefer longer distance running to the shorter onesimage  

• Options
    NQ2- stuck here tooimage Not saying don't run more miles- just don't try and run the same volume all year- my post Snod November mileage was a quarter of my peak month (Aug)
  • Options

Great news on the other halfs job Frodo image And I'm running Helsby half too...long way from home but just near where my parents live (they're running it too!) I did it last year and loved it but I have a score to settle with the length of time it took me last year!!!!

Snow is falling all around me, children playing (well lying on the settee watching tv), having fun (well who wouldn't on an unscheduled day off???) 

I need to go for a run, I might even venture to say i WANT to go for a run, will have to see how long the other half stays in work today!!!

• Options

Hi All

5 inches of snow here at 8am and it's still snowing - unfortuately i can walk to work so i am one of the only five that made it image

Running is so not happening for me at the moment - let's hope the weather clears and my motivation comes back with it in the new year.

Oh and Mr C's Xmas pressies are all AWOL thanks to CityLink arrrhhh image

• Options
    panadpanad ✭✭✭

i'm with you on that one Chrissi...for one reason or another running just hasn't happened for me these last few weeks and my motivation has just plummeted image (and we haven't even got any real snow to talk about either image

Assuming none of the white stuff magically appears over the weekend it'll be the last day of term on mon, hoping that once that's done i'll be able to have a good christmas and new year, recharge properly and get the mojo back for the new year...AM arrived today, so hopefully, even if i don't manage to get out running much in the next couple of weeks, i can have a good read, sort out a proper plan and get my backside back into gear properly in the new year  image

• Options

managed to get out today for few miles -  ice, tiny bit frozen snow. mainly off-road, but tricky in parts due to ice - thick sheet on one road with water running under it - fortunately was snowy verge. good to get out after most of week spent in with eldest with sky- high temperature- bettter now.

Those looking for motivation - have u looked at RW mileage competition v USA for January ?

• Options

panad- Andrea B and I are in school until WEDNESDAY, weather permittingimageimage

The missing pressie problem is shared by me too....

Had a right laugh today. Bought a bargain basement manual treadmill from Argos for the princely sum of £50- managed to do 6.18km in 44.16 at a whopping 11.32 pace- but it was really hard work as the belt didn't seem to want to turn. I've never run an 11 min mile beforeimageimage. Also got a bad back from holding on and running at unnatural angle. It's going back soon (apart from being carp it's also dented), but on a plus it got me some running and also got Mrs JD and the kids interested- so think that I'll invest in a decent model- if it's going to encourage them to get some exercise. See Argos have a Reebok one for half price at the moment....

• Options
    JD ...thats not really you is it talking about treadmills???  Those things you just stand on and jump up and down as the belt goes around imageimage 
  • Options
    NQ2-imageimage- needs must.....image
  • Options

Panad - glad it's not just me.  Enjoy AM it scared the **** out of me!! image oh well a girl can dream

Speaking of dreaming JD i don't often run 11 min miles either - just very occasionally on a good downhill image

Another couple of inches of snow overnight here depending were i measured this morning in my garden it was between 7 and 9 inches it looks amazing but as the council can't get the roads clear it's actually abit of a nightmare. 

Still a week today is CHRISMAS image

• Options

I've never seen as much snow before in North Wales - went out for a run 1st thing this morning (more appealing than watch England struggle in the Ashes!?) - very slow, very enjoyable - quite an experience!

We won't be venturing out from our village - I don't fancy the chances of getting out of our drive! Some pressies to deliver later to my daughters friends (she was unable to hand them out yesterday with school being closed) - I'll be donning my Innov-8's again and hitting the hills!!

• Options

We've had more overnight here too, but all yesterday's disappeared in the afternoon sun, so we're still only at about 2 inches here......about to go and don my running stuff and see how slippy the roads are......I am just going to see how it goes, but hopefully a minimum of about 4 miles and a maximum of about 4.1 image

Had a huge xmas tree drama this morning (involving drunken teenagers last night and an apologetic text this morning saying that they had tried their best to re-erect the tree..........involving clever use of a coffee table to prop it up!!)  Need to destress with the wind in my hair (or in my hat if it's too cold!!!)

• Options

Off roader trainers on for me first thing this morning image  Ten miles off roading it in 6 inches of snow......just pure brilliance .....especially when the sun came out.image  Trainers are on the aga drying as we speak coz im not missing a chance to get back out there tomorrow.  Yayyyyyyyyyyyy i love my trail shoesimage

JD I invested in a bremshey machine last year and think it is brilliant for days when you just cant get out and the quality of the machine is A1 ....bought it second hand from ebay at well under the retail price.

• Options

Andrea- lol- hope the tree is rescuable!image No melt with us and now it's started to freeze again. Clouds look pretty ominous tooimage

JB- thanks for the memory jog. Last year I ran through the snow in my fell shoes.  Inov8 Mudclaws turned out to be just the answer for snow and ice on road too! It wasn't fast or pretty, but I managed to get 10m in through up to 4" of snow!image

NQ- thanks for the tip 

• Options

Hi folks..no snow in Derbyshire yet, but very, very cold. Managed a 12 miler today but ice patches a bit nasty.

However, mince pies made, packing done for hols in North Yorkshire-leaving on Wednesday assuming weather ok. Right, roll on Marchimage

• Options

Brer- nice- enjoy the hols!image In the festive spirit, Mrs JD and I just did the BIG Xmas food-shop under cover of darkness. Have just put the Boxing Day spiced beef into marinade for the next week imageimage

17m planned for me tomorrow in my mudclawsimage (with their renowned cushioning properties)image

• Options
    Well I managed 7 slippy miles yesterday and another 8 today...this mornings 8 were the coldest i've ever done...my bum was so cold I had to sit on the radiator when i got in....I swear i'm going to invent runner's bum warming patches one day!!!
    Felt great to be out running when the rest of the county / country are whinging about not being able to leave their houses...was quite precarious in places but overall enjoyable. Would have made this mornings more of a long run but alas had to be back in time for Sunday lunch at a local hotel with the in-laws by way of their xmas dinner to us.....so i'm now stuffed with good food, a few glasses of wine and lots of laughs!! Good times!!!!

Jason....do you reckon school will be open tomorrow?????
  • Options

Andrea- good question!

Ended up running 17m along the Llanelli Millenium Coastal Path today alomg a mixture of frozen compressed snow and ankle deep fresh stuff- no bare tarmac for the whole distance!image. Started out with the car registering -4 c, but by the time I finished it had warmed up to -2image. Run was painfully slow(17.04m in 2:31.43 av 8.54 paceimage) and towards the end I could feel the heat leaving my body as my legs tied up as the blood left them.  Didn't really feel cold during the run, but it took me ages to warm up afterwards! Got a headache from the constant glare from the snow too- have to get some goggles for long runs if this continuesimage. Still- at least I got out!imageimage

• Options

Jason, did you get the email from the Head about tomorrow's concert?  Don't know if you or Mrs JD were involved in it at all??  Also he said a decision to be made by 7.30 ish in the morning.....would be better for me by 6.30 so i could stay in bed!!  I have to leave home at 8 so will have to assume all is well in the morning grrrrrrrrrrr!!

Well done on the run and I long to run 17 miles at your painfully slow pace image!!!

• Options
    5 miles round Tittesworth Reservoir, dressed as an elf, for me this morning at the Staffordshire Moorlands Christmas Cracker race!!   Beautiful, sunny, snowy day, though the proper race route over the Roaches had to be changed to Plan B for safety reasons (just like last year!).   Excellent race, brilliant dayimage
  • Options
    Andreaimageimage it's all relative- what i meant was that it was 1.30 per mile slower than the same route last week. Will check my email nowimage
  • Options

SD- Well done! Good to hear that you're keeping nice and elfyimage

Sorry....

Andrea- as far as school is concerned, the grounds are totally white with around 3-4" of snow and temperature according to my car of minus 4c- and that was before the sun set.....image

• Options
    I managed 12 miles in 6 ins of snow and compressed ice today. I can't say that I enjoyed it to be honest, my feet were slipping and sliding around causing this dammed hernia I have developed in my groin to give me some grief.

I have started this week the AM 70 - 85 mpw schedule, I have managed a disappointing 52 miles a little way short of the 66. GIven the weather and the fact that I only got book last Tuesday, therefore starting the week a day or so late, I keep telling myself that I should reasonably happy with that.

Good to see that despite the bad weather everyone is making the effort to get out and do bit, well done everyone.

Countryfile is on at six they have an in depth forecast for the week ahead. See what this week brings.
  • Options

SK4- well done- i'm on the same plan this time around; take care on the ice- as I've said I recently found that my Inov8 Mudclaws are pretty good on the snow, but I would be wary about running in road shoes....

Couple of miles short of weekly target too, due to weather and treadmill issues.... image 63.51m in 9:09.47, but fairly happyimage 

• Options
    Cheers JD, well done this week, thats a good effort, good luck with the plan. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Determined to make the 72 this week, even if it means jumping on the treadmill for the threshold session, I couldn't run at HMP in these conditions. You're spot on re the shoes I will get my INOVAT 295's out, the tread is better than the road shoe but not as aggressive as the Mudclaw. I may try to source some snow/ice spikes for my shoes this week. When I did the Brecon Ultra recently a couple of runners had them, they couldn't praise them enough.

Weather forecast is looking no better for the week ahead I'm afraid.
  • Options
    Stephen these( the pro version) were recommended to me yesterday on another thread. Anyone got any experience of these?
  • Options
    JD - Thanks, I will ring around a few shops tomorrow to see if they have any in stock. Given the recent issues around post and delivery I may travel to pick some up. I'll let you know how I get on.
  • Options

Hi all

Some good running going onimage

Well I managed a total mileage of 14 last week!! And as I hadn't ran for 18days before that due to my injured leg well happy to be out on the roadsimage

Went for sports massage on Friday leg a little tight round calf but ok got some stretches to do but apart from that all well!! image so going to increase mileage a little this week and going to get 4 runs in instead of 3. Starting in the morning with 8miler (Got 2days of work!) to do final Christmas shopping with Mrs TR38 so as we not leaving till 11ish going to hit the roads in day light!!!image We had a fair bit of snow in Rhyl to never seen it so white here. Its freezing here now so pavements treacherous but roads pretty clear now.

Stay safe everyone and good runningimage

• Options

TR38- glad you're on the mendimage

minus 5c at the moment and school's closed. More snow forecast for this morning tooimage