Options

Bala 2011

1121314151618»

Comments

• Options

I was doing a bit of extreme training and took 7 hours to complete the sightseeing trip around Bala, which was 70 minutes longer than last year. I was glad I brought lots of winter training kit with me.

I was gutted I could see another pirate (Dave) in the distance on the run in next to the lake and then he started to run a bit faster and I could not quite catch him up by the finish line.

• Options

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/45303/Gallery/P6120612_(640x480).jpg

As close as he got !   Teehee
  • Options
    lol!! brilliant. Great you guys posted swim times as I have been bashing the swimming since i got back as was gutted with swim time! 47 mins i think??? These are the days that make you stronger physically and mentally. Gutted did not have my pirate gear on, but big blue jacket to keep me warm!!! lots of slightly blue coloured people out there!! If tripe talk said 45 odd went to hospital i would divide that by at least 10!!

Marshals were awesome - standing in that rain for 8 odd hours and smiling at everyone that went past....awesome!!

many going to cotswolds next week?
  • Options
    Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/45303/Gallery/P6120612_(640x480).jpg

As close as he got !   Teehee
    Next year you best put on come Lynx then image  Hehehehe
  • Options

I think I should have done some more cycle training for this.

Just looking at the info on the web site there were 578 entries and 383 finishers thats 195 not finishing which is just over a third (33.74%) of those who entered.

• Options
    or set your turbo up in the shower!!
  • Options
    ^ i'd love to take a picture of the missus' face if she came home and i'd set up the turbo in the shower image
  • Options

OK, have finally got round to writing a report on this one now that have got my meetings out of the way for this week.

Swim went pretty well.  Got into the water with bhflyer right at the back and gradually worked my way through the field, hanging onto people's feet.  Reached the turn in about 18 mins and then got on a guy's feet who was slightly quicker than me (the dream!) and rode it all the way back to shore.  Waves were ridiculous on the way back in as others have said but managed to breathe just to my left to counter the worst of it.  back to T1 in a bit over 42 mins and as I was aiming for 45 was pretty happy in those conditions with a wettie I had never swum in yet (true pirate style, trying somethign new for race day!)

T1 was interesting, making sure I was fully layered up and had everything I would need.  Endured the banter from Kanga shouting "It's not a bloody beauty parade mate" as he waited for Rio, and got out of T1 in about 5 mins in total (although it did seem like about 10...)

• Options

First part of the bike went well and took it easy up the hills in the first few miles.  Got absolutely soaked within 5 mins but had accepted I was going to be cold and wet so just got on with it. Saw the first person turn back at about 7 miles and knew at that point he wasn't going to be the first.

Turned round the top of the lake and then got hit big-style by cross-winds.  Have never really experienced this before and to be honest it scared the crap out of me.  Coming down the big hill at 40mph while being blown sideways wasn't my idea of fun.  Got passed by a constant stream of people throughout this part but then I guess it's inevitable when you're in the first wave and a better swimmer than a cyclist...

Made the turn onto the other A road and felt much better as the cross-winds died down.  Got passed by bhflyer just before the turn and then by Kanga at the top of the hill just after it as well.  Actually really enjoyed the long drag after the turn (sadist?) as was looking at it as good practice for IMR and just got in a low gear and kept grinding.  Turned back onto the cross-wind hell and it seemed like they had got stronger (plus the rain had got heavier by then too).  Chain came off twice which involved a couple of pit-stops (no idea why but was when I was moving from big ring to small ring both times...) and then hit the hill from hell.  I really wanted to get off and walk it, especially when the wind seemed to shift to a head wind but made it up ok eventually.  Saw three guys being attended to by paramedics on motorbikes, wrapped in space blankets, and then a few more scattered around the following miles as well - was carnage). 

Eventually hit the last few miles but was struggling to change gears with the loss of feeling in my fingers and then scremed with frustration as I couldn't refill my front drinks bottle as I couldn't squeeze the bottle due to loss of feeling.  This was my real low I think but luckily Waff came by at that point and shouted she had been having a nightmare too the last few miles.  Chased her back to T2 for a total bike split of 3:40. 

Was disappointed as wanted a sub 3:15 at worst but then conditions were crap, chain came off twice and got freaked out by the winds so took it easy on the descents so I guess I was happy just to get back safely.  Plus on the positive side, nutrition plan worked a treat of one bottle of energy drink, one gel and two half-bars each hour.  Stuck to it religiously and never felt tired so think that is the way I will end up going at IMR.

• Options

T2 was very slow.  Had to get a marshall to help take off my helmet and shoes although I managed to do up my laces ok.  Changed socks too and never have clean dry socks ever felt so good. Made a pit stop too and then out on the run after about 8 mins.  Of the three guys that came in at the same time as me off the bike, none of them went out on the run as decided it was too cold and wet. Wasn't sure at the time if this was a good or bad omen... 

Had planned to do run/walk on the run in prep for IMR and stuck to it religiously, walking for a minute at each mile marker.  Kept a steady 10 min mile average pace throughout and saw loads of pirates coming the other way which was good to see most had made it through the hell of the bike and carried on.

Tried out new nutritional plan on the run using Shotbloks, trying to have one each mile (instead of a gel every 3 miles which is about the same).  Worked much better - not sure if it was the fact I was looking forward to every mile marker so I could eat another one or because of constantly topping up reserves at each mile rather than the more lumpy 3 mile top ups but another plus for the IMR plan.

Can honestly say this was one of my favourite runs.  I didn't really notice the hills too much except the one at the turn and actually quite enjoyed plodding up the big one.  Thanked each marshall I saw on the run as thought they were awesome being out in the crap conditions and made it back in 2:06.  Even put in a sprint finish down the mud path to beat some guy on the line.

Overall time was 6:43.  A bit disappointed as did the Vit in 6:05 last year and thought even if I worked at IM pace, I was aiming for 6:15 but then I guess the extra half hour can be attributed to the conditions?  Plus having seen the number of DNFs, I am happy just to have gotten through it safely and worked on nutrition in race conditions before August.

Unfortunately, had to miss the post race party as had client meetings Monday morning to get back for so happed straight in the car and headed back to London.  Stopped at first services and got a BK meal and then stopped at the next for a KFC!!!  Eventually made it home a little before 11pm - a reasonably long day and fairly tired.

• Options

Fab report Mandel, and well done on surviving the carnage!  Interesting to hear your nutrition strategy worked well too image  Shame you couldn't stay on, but sadly the weather put paid to one massive get-together, and we were all in various tents, trying to keep dry!  Fingers crossed for a return to a sunny Bala for 2012.

See you in Regensburg! imageimage

• Options
    Some cracking race reports - well done to all who braved, actually conquered, the horrendous conditions!
  • Options

What a day image;  I wouldn't have put my dog out in that.

It was a horrendous day weather wise and the toughest race I have done by far.

Big Head & Cross winds on the bike, the downhills (with wheel wobble) was the most scared I have ever been on a bike and one lasted long enough for me to recite the whole of the Lord's prayer. Saw Ridgeback Max in the swim and as he is my brother decided to swin over and duck him, but got totally wiped out by another guy we know who came straight over me (he said his goggles were misted up). serves me right I suppose. image   Waves in a lake? and both legs totally cramped up with the cold as I got out so I had to sit in the water for about 5 minutes. Doh!!

Met with my bruv in run transition and we set off together as he was totally suffering with cramp. Then the g*t sped off and took 12 minutes out of me on the run. He was in the wave before and in the end beat me by 2 minutes. Brothers - who'd have them.image

Got through though and made it to the pub for a pint afterwards and after reflection, it was the toughest but to get through it was probably one of the best  feelings ever, and I never once stopped except to get rid of those cramps and to pop 2 painkillers on the bike and stretch the old back, just kept on going and all that training and stupidity just kicked in image

Now for 2 weeks in Florida from Saturday... Hooray.

• Options

p.s. Big thanks to all the supporters and marshalls to.

At least we were moving.......

• Options
    theres a great review from the organisers

http://www.wrecsamtri.org.uk/

• Options
    Wow, that sums it up really!!! 
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    That's one of the best race reports I've ever seen.
  • Options
    Wow, really brings it home what you lot went through !!

Massive well done to all
  • Options
    Just got back to the land of technology today. Some great race reports that really bring the experience back to me, so thanks for that! I have also just watched an episode of Deadliest Catch, and that brought back some memories too.
    I went into this 'race' hoping to take 30 minutes off last years effort and to find it a bit easier, in the end I was the best part of an hour slower and I have never found anything as difficult in my life.
    It was a massive effort for me and quite an emotional experience too, it is a day that will stay with me for a long time, and anyone who shared any part of it - be it the swim, the bike, the stagger, the brilliant marshals and spectators - I extend my respect and heartfelt thanks.
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, in which case anyone involved in Bala 2011 is now one hell of a lot stronger.
  • Options
    Tiago well said! although i deffo do not feel stronger at the mo trying to push the bike with cold cramped muscles has resulted in a very sore stiff back this morning image
  • Options

Aaaaarrrrrrrrrr.

Probably pushed to hard on the run image

• Options
    Crikey flip , glad I am retired !
  • Options
    Mandel wrote (see)
    Endured the banter from Kanga shouting "It's not a bloody beauty parade mate" as he waited for Rio
    What did you expect, hugs and warm fuzzies ? image
  • Options
    Well done ITB, great report. As you said, you didn't quit, despite the conditions image Fingers crossed for sun next year!
  • Options

It was horrible weather and everyones times were slower than previously.  I wouldn't be feeling down at acheiving slow times.  An awful lot didn't make it at all.  Everyone who finished deserved a massive well done

And those that didn't can't be blamed for not battling through and risking injury with other races planned.

I was disappointed with my swim time til I learnt that the average swim was 7-8mins down on previous years so in reality I should have been up by 3 mins on last year. 

Keep smiling image