Options

Bala 2011

Comments

• Options
    bhflyerbhflyer ✭✭✭

I had a funny (scary) moment a couple of weeks ago when I got confused at my local lake and thought the loops were 400m instead of 750m! I was looking at the swim times from last year and thinking I was going to be at least half an hour behind the slowest!

Luckily I discovered my error before the following saturday otherwise I'd have knocked out (or tried) a full iron man swim for no reason!

Turns out I'll just be among the slowest instead but at least I should be out of the water before the bike cut-offimage

• Options

Lee you may of been last but that was a bl00dy gutsy performance to stick it out for the finish

I am getting up there friday so I can have a couple of beers with my bruv (mk snail) and then chill on the saturday was going to stay sunday for more beer but we have to get back now for a funeral on the mondayimage

• Options

Sorry to hear that, rbm.

We're going up on the Friday and staying til Wednesday to make a holiday of it, we're staying in a cottage cos we are wusses. I will try to say hi to you guys, but as I don't have any pirate kit it will just be a stranger saying 'hi.'

• Options
    At least it is just one loop this time bhflyer, so you can't go wrong image

That's sad news RBM, sorry to hear that. Shame you can't stay up longer image

Tiago, we'll still talk to you image Will be good to see you again!

Head cold feels worse tonight, annoying, so going to tank lots of Vit C, have a bath, and have an early night. Swim tomorrow, bike Thursday then mini run Friday, and fingers crossed afte that!
  • Options

Cheers Lee, you too. Just take it easy this week, if in doubt miss the session.

I managed to pull summat in my back yesterday, so I'm going to do sweet FA (not whinging about corruption) and hope to be fresh for Sunday.

• Options
    slimshadyslimshady ✭✭✭

Max - sorry about your news and that you both wont be there on the sunday.    image

Keep an eye out for my bruv on friday in his blue VW camper van as he's going up a day earlier than us.    We should be arriving around lunchtime on the saturday.

Hope the cold stays away Lee and look forward to meeting you all again  image

• Options
    is it just me or have they made a cock up with start times and cutoffs?? the vets group is probably going to be a bit slower right?? should they not have gone off first??
    do you think they will know if i go in the 9.30 wave to give myself a bit more time????...i couldnt pass for the ladies race but i can get away with under 40!!
  • Options
    I think the swim caps give it away, Andy.
  • Options
    oh crap...i was hoping you wouldnt say that!!!
    i am such a useless runner...i think i will have to walk the whole of the first 10k till i can come back down....i'm so gonna be last!!!!
  • Options

Don't worry about it, Andy, this ain't a fun-run, it doesn't matter where you finish, just finishing is more than most can dream of. Think of times you've toughed it out in training, take in the atmosphere and the awesome scenery, enjoy it when you can, and you'll be fine.

• Options
    SlugsSlugs ✭✭✭
    So its us old gits at the back of the field again, and the first will be out of the water before we start. Still we'll have plenty of the real oldies to swim overimage. !0:00 start, perhaps I'll have a lie in on Sunday then.
  • Options

Are you doing the swim on Saturday as a warm up?

• Options

I think they send the old blokes off last to avoid them clogging the lake and the roads up. Gives the young fast men a clear course!!

• Options
    Still only really gives us 6.5 hours to finish what they say is one of the 10 toughest triathlons though . Maybe that's why it's in the top 10
  • Options
    Oh come on guys, it's all relative isn't it. Any ironman distance race is going to be harder - and the weather conditions will play a huge part. On a warm still day with good support this course is perfectly doable. You've done the training and there's no reason that with "no bad luck" you won't be fine on the day. Now stop wibbling and prepare.

Plan your race strategy including pacing and nutrition. Practice your transition. Anticipate problems and mitigate them where possible - practice changing inner tubes, have a plan for your goggles being knocked off in the swim or your chain coming off on the bike. What will you do if you get cramp or feel sick? Sure there could be things that are out of your control - but its your race and there's loads you can do to prepare. I've done Bala three times and absolutely love this race. I'm not particularly quick but have found it very manageable and incredibly enjoyable.

have fun image
  • Options

Max- Just the couple of beers?

This is an endurance weekend.

• Options
    SlugsSlugs ✭✭✭
    Gyraffe wrote (see)
    le. You've done the training and there's no reason that with "no bad luck" you won't be fine on the day. Now stop wibbling and prepare. Plan your race strategy including pacing and nutrition. Practice your transition. Anticipate problems and mitigate them where possible - practice changing inner tubes, have a plan for your goggles being knocked off in the swim or your chain coming off on the bike. What will you do if you get cramp or feel sick?

Done this every year so far, number 9 coming up

So far I've had go wrong, in different years - it will go right one year!

Weather very hot - yes 

Pacing and nutrition  - yes

Blow out - yes

Chain off - yes

Cramp - yes

Sick - yes

Goggles off - Oooo not yet ! - Wont be this year I already know whats going to go wrong this yearimage

• Options
    Ooh Slugs - you might be cursed mate. image
  • Options
    SlugsSlugs ✭✭✭
    Gyraffe wrote (see)
    Ooh Slugs - you might be cursed mate. image

Strange YOU called them all though.....................

You haven't been sticking pins in the left side of the tail of a model of a slug have you?image

• Options

Slugs - now you mention it I've had boiling hot weather, chain falling off, bad pacing, bad nutrition, timing chip working loose in the swim, bad mood, sunburn, cramp and digestive trouble at Bala too - but over the course of three 6 hour races you'd expect a few hiccups woudn't you. image

Out of interest - if you started 9 times how many did you finish?

• Options
    SlugsSlugs ✭✭✭

Number 9 is this weekend.......... so fingers crossed, that on Monday I can say I finished 9 or is that tempting fate? I really hope my knee holds out for this one.

If you see some crawling back along the lake side dragging his left leg, that'll be me! Its only 20k.

And Woody very apt for me, given my real name.image

No, I'm Brian

• Options

Ha - well then - it's perfectly achievable even with all those hiccups.

See you all at the weekend. image

• Options
    This will be my third tri and first half IM, hope I'm not cursed with all your misfortunes, coping with a tough course with not much training will be bad enough.
  • Options
    lol....what woody is not telling you is that his second tri was IMUK last year and he pissed it in 12.5 hours or something daft like that!!!
    ;-)
  • Options

Morning folks.

I've become a rattling cage of vitamins, so hopefully will keep worst of lurgy at bay image  This will be my fourth triathlon, and whether I finish while the timekeepers are still about will remain to be seen, but I'll finish it regardless.  Well, barring something horrific happening of course!!!! *touches wood*  OOh that could be miscontrued....imageimage

Anyway, I was calculating the nutrition I think i'll need on Sunday.  I've got an extra bottle holder so could potentially have 4 bottles of fluid.  Haven't decided whether to take three and pick one up, or what.  I shall bring enough stuff and decide on the day i think!  I'm pretty sure my bike nutrition has never been as good as it needs to be, so determined to drink and eat enough per hour to keep energy levels up this time.  Last year I left my bento box in the car so had no nutrition at all until Griffen very kindly gave me two gels when I saw him at half way!  So plan is not to make the same mistake this year!

Tonight i'll be sorting all my stuff out, making sure i've got everything washed and I can find all my bits and bobs.  Last year I had FAAAAR too much stuff in transistion, 'just in case i needed it', which I didn't, so need to pare it down a lot this year, haha.

• Options
    SlugsSlugs ✭✭✭

You race for long enough and eventually every misfortune will come your way. 14th season for me, but theres still quite a few I've yet to experience.

'Best' ( as in most unusual) was the sheared bolt in the seat clamp. No saddle for 10 miles of a hilly sprint race, Cycling stood up for half an hour , that made the quads scream, but I wasn't going to DNF! Dont fancy having to do three quarters of the Bala course with no saddle.

• Options
    Slugs wrote (see)

You race for long enough and eventually every misfortune will come your way. 14th season for me, but theres still quite a few I've yet to experience.

'Best' ( as in most unusual) was the sheared bolt in the seat clamp. No saddle for 10 miles of a hilly sprint race, Cycling stood up for half an hour , that made the quads scream, but I wasn't going to DNF! Dont fancy having to do three quarters of the Bala course with no saddle.

Feck me. That falls into my 'something horrific' camp, and would mean a call to a taxi firm and a lift back to the finish! image
  • Options
    I think I should have done some more cycling before this. At least I start in the first wave so have a bit of extra time to the cut off point.