Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭

BotF- May be worth running an autumn marathon, you are where you are with training at the moment but there's still plenty of time for everything to click before London. Having one eye on a mara later on this year may take the pressure off and stop you doing to much to soon. No pressure, then you'll start enjoying it again and get that mojo back.

OO- you must be getting me mixed up with someone else re the high mileage. I've only run 55 this week which I reckon isn't too bad considering I'm only HM training. Nice parkrun/ WAVA btw.

Leslie H- A Saturday night shift! I used to find the Friday and Sunday ones bad enough. The things we have to do to earn a crust. Well done for getting out today.

Some nice long running today by a fair few in less than ideal conditions. I managed 16 very wet and muddy miles down the Kennet and Avon Canal. I had a bad case of shoaming.

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Blisters - Welcome back!

Abbers - Nice one, you got a pb in adverse conditions and that show's you are getting fitter. I'd be stoked with that time.

BOTF - It's still early days yet, just keep on keeping on. If you can stay injury free I'd say you will be in much better place in a month and take a view from there?

Apologies in advance for my rant below, but I felt the need to share.

Out for a casual 5 miler tonight thinking it would be an uneventful affair but no, almost tripped over by a dog, who's owner was blatantly obvlivious to me running along the pavement and then the hound tried to bite me. Luckily it was still daylight and I could see the scenario unfold before it did, did a jump over the long leash, not one of those type leashes that are contractable that a considerate dog walker's would invest in and luckily for me there was no uncoming traffic as I would have been creamed (not to qoute Ant), I felt the need to stop and have a word with irresponsible dog owner and from there on in it descended into a bizarre, farcical situation. I stopped and said to the dog owner, " hey that was bl00dy close", her response was not aplogetic, went someting like this " it's your fault you should have warned us", I then said are you kidding me, I was running in broad daylight and do you expect me to give way and run in the road when you should have kept your dog at the heel! No it was my fault according to her, Oh shit I lost the rag a bit and said if the dog tried to bite me again I would effing plant my size 9's in my defence at the dog. That triggered something and she tried to grab hold of my arm and said "don't you effing swear at me, where do you live....." with that she ran at me with hound in pursuit I thought, this madness and with that, I applied the common sense rule, get out while the going is semi-good. I mean wtf, managed to escape from her arm lock whillst the pooch was snapping at my heels and then her parting shot was "go back from where you come from" her detecting I was not local, to that I gave her the bird and said adios you loon! I was totally taken aback and was glad it was a female ,because if it had been a bloke it could have easliy turned messy. Jeeze, you don't expect that when you're out for a run. That aside it was a really nice run and enjoyed the dry window after today's earlier horrible weather.

• Options
    TR wrote (see)

PMJ - handy long run tiniming before Wokingham then, although its the hard running rather than the long that would affect the result I'd guess.

AR - 67 ! wow, I was thinking your plan would be low mileage, I though you had non running days in it and shorter runs.

Birch - excellent work, another 2X bagged.

Blisters - Bala 1/2IM when is that June ? so was that postbox visit a 21M run, with no spring mara ?

Hi TR, the Hanson method has fixed quality mileage mid week, and fixed long runs. Above that you can build the easy to moderate mileage with the guidance they give. There is one rest day which has the option of an easy/recovery run. Their standard plan for my target would have me running closer to 80 by now.  Glad I didn't go for that as  I feel I have reached the right volume, and it is maintaining my interest to get the consistency. Expecting to top out at mid/high 70s at a peak

• Options

I'm exhausted just reading through - cracking long, matching runs from Speedy and Ant, BOTF battling through the wind and rain, and GM taking on all and sundry. 

Impressive weekly mileage being logged already by many others on here - just remember to build slowly and stay injury free.

Brixton 10K for me - 3 undulating laps of Brockwell Park. Not a part of London I know at all, and although the course didn't score too many points on the scenic scale it was well marshalled and was all on paths apart from a rather slippery part on grass at the start and finish.

Given the ups and downs of the course I was hoping for something close to 40 and being very optimistic was wondering whether sub 40 might be on (my PB of 39:55 dates back to mid 2010) but in all honesty that was wishful thinking.

In the end it turned out to be something of a confidence booster after some poor recent speed sessions and either the power of the safety pin or simply the benefit of running in daylight helped. 

Finished up with 40:25, but all 3 laps were pretty consistent times and whilst 24th overall isn't close to some of the podium finishes on here, looking at the results I reckon that I was first M45 so I'm counting that as a pseudo-medal image

45 miles for the week in total and another full complement of Jantastic runs logged.

• Options

Busy weekend on here! That'll teach me for not posting yesterday.
    TR - well done finishing the 20M.
    OO - cracking parkrun and an excellent week's running.
    KR - very impressive HM @ MP in training - and off just 1M w/u too!
    Martin - excellent 20 miler - good miles for the week.
    SJ - bad luck.
    Leslie - great mileage for the week.
    GM - pace didn't feel too taxing. Nice 10k there. Hideous encounter with dog and owner.
    Speedy - not a good weekend for XC. 20 miler must have been a bit of a boost.
    Jools - zip will return.
    Rich - well done on getting 14 done - pretty awful weather around at the moment.
    PMJ - nice MLR and good week completed.
    Abbers - congrats on the PB, especially on a wet and windy day.
    Ant - great effort to finish the 21 miler and another cracking week's mileage.
    Birch - excellent 21 miles, not to mention 28 years!
    AR - going great guns.
    SB - 20 miler in a 37 mile week! I wouldn't dream of doing that now, but well done.
    Blisters - you can still enjoy the scenery while you freeze to death though.
    BOTF - autumn mara might be a good move.
    Moof - well done keeping out of the canal.
    Lorenzo - good  result and a boost to the confidence.
    Cut-back week began with 7 miles inc. 7 x 100m strides @ 8:12 m/m.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Sorry moof- I meant AR of course. 55 is about the same level as me.

GM- been ib similar situations with my quick temper. Conclusion better never to stop!

Enjoy the cut back Gul.

• Options

How many miles is your cutback week Gul? Does this also mean you'll treat yourself to a couple of lie ins?

6.5 eaile miles this morning - all fine but then managed to twist my sodding ankle again simply walking down to the station. Sitting on the train at the moment trying to be positive and not think about the pain but not easy. 

• Options

GM, some dog owners are frankly, idiots. I was out running with my dog yesterday and a little rat dog shitzu thing had a go at him in the woods and then in an open field we were repeatedly buzzed by a growling, barking greyhound doing about 30mph. I shouted at the dog and then at the owner and they cleared off. Muppets.

Anyway, 10.5 miles yesterday in 1hr59. Yes, that's right. And the last 2 miles on the flat were at ave 7:20mm. Very hilly, very muddy and refreshingly windy on the tops.

Easy 30min this morning with hill sprints. 

• Options

Hope it's nothing too serious Lorenzo.

• Options
    TR wrote (see)

PMJ - handy long run tiniming before Wokingham then, although its the hard running rather than the long that would affect the result I'd guess.

I'm not so sure that it is that simple. Both hard and long have the ability to leave you feeling tired afterwards. In the past month I have done long and felt whacked a few days later and also felt fine a few days later. Same for fast sessions, some leave me drained, others rejuvenated.

I reckon there are many factors that come in such as biorhythms, rest days, days of the work, work, family, illness etc

• Options

SJ - hope not, but it's swollen up quite impressively. Had to wait until I got into the office before putting some ice on it, and suspect that this rules out running for the next couple of days at least. Might be playing my Jantastic Joker this week.

• Options

You can tell its marathon season - lots of good running, racing and dedication being shown by all, nice lsrs TR, Martin,Speedy, Ant, Birch and SB.

Hope it settles Lorenzo.

Weather was particularly crap so canned my 20 early doors and ran it mid afternnon - weather behaved for me and managed 21.5 in 2.42. Mile 15 was brutal down from a 7.15 to a 9.25 due to 300ft of ascent. It turned into a Death March for two miles so I took Ants advice and put the gas on again and felt surprisingly better to finish quite strong. I am knackered today though.

GM - there are muppets everywhere.

• Options

Moof - my shifts rotate forward one day a week(8 days cycle) and nights one week , days the next week , all 12 hrs so my running schedule has to do the same,most hard runs have to be on my days off even if not ideal...would make p&d a bit difficult to follow .

Gerard -what a saga lucky you got out of there as you might have got bitten by the owner never mind the dog.

Lorenzo-dangerous even getting out of bed some days,Good racing and 1st v45 nice. image

• Options

GM, agree with regard to dogs and other path users. I have two rules:

1) I ask if the behaviour is reasonable if I was an old lady walking down the path. If the path is narrow and people walk side by side towards you and force you onto the road, then that is unreasonable: they should walk single file.

2) Pass and then shout: given you are fit and have a running start, nobody is likely to give chase.

Jantastic people, three things:

1) Well done, we are at 25% which is as good as we can do and are equal first.
    2) Feb targets can be set so remember to do these.
    3) The team is judged on the top 75% of members. 3 weeks into 12 weeks (25% of the way) and we are at 25% even though a few are yet to record their last runs. Don't crock yourself if you don't have to.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Gerard, excellent story  - I love the way you casually state " That aside it was a really nice run"  after encountering the deranged dog-walker !!

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Wow - great work everyone. Long runs all over the place (TR, Martin, Speedy, Rich, Ant, PMJ, Birch, SB, Blisters on his way back from the post box, BotF avoiding the circling birds of prey, OO51, Menn, Moof and any others I may have missed).

A decent 10k from Lorenzo on a lumpy course before ankle issues; hope it's not too bad and you recover quickly.

Well done to Speedy & Jools for competing the in XC in such hideous conditions. Think it takes a certain sort of runner/person to enjoy that!

Another impressive parkrun podium for OO51.

KR recording 13.1 at sub-3 pace, looking good.

SJ - bad time for a blow out, if there's any such thing as a good time!

Leslie & Gul racking up impressive mileage too.

AR - sounds like a more "normal" run from you, i.e. quick for less effort!

GM - sorry to hear about your run in with the dog owner. Never a fun situation.

Think that's everyone, but apologies to anyone I've missed.

Provisional results from Romsey have been posted, and I've had another second shaved off against my watch, so 31:58 for 40/405. The organisers have posted a video of the race on YouTube too. The winner went round in 24:28, but all the front runners look like they're jogging in the film. Very deceptive! TR - the later finishers would have had it worse, as the puddles were visibly increasing as the race went on. The hot chocolate at the end was very welcome!

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Lorenzo: I hope nothing has gone too bad there, RICE tonight.
    I grew up in Peckham and being at an inner city school with no fields or sports facilities we were bussed to Brockwell Park to do what they called 'cross country running', even though we just ran on the tarmac paths, so I know it quite well. I hated it, always near the back of the field. Never had a clue I'd end up running marathons.

On the path etiquette theme, if there are any lurkers reading this thread from the running group that run towards me along the Old Woking Road every Saturday morning at the same time I do my LSRs, please say hello back when I say hello to you, you miserable b*stards!!

SB

• Options

SB - where do you run to and from that takes you on the Old Woking Road? Assuming the ankle is back in one piece, I'm hoping to be in that neck of the woods on a run from Bookham to Guildford.

Maybe it's because I do all my running solo, but I say hello to everyone I pass whether they're running, walking or simply an animal in a field. 

• Options

10 miler for me this morn again with 4 @ LT pace ..........90min half equals 6:42 to 6:52  threshold pace so I started out at 6:52 this time .

All 4 were ran in one go this time image 6:52, 6:54, 7:02, 6:47 , I turned around for home at the start of mile 3 which cost a couple of secs confusing the gps so all good.I tried not to look at the watch for mile 4 and just gave it 100% effort and just tried to hang on seeemed to take forever too .Glad thats out the way can relax the rest of the week now image

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

SB & Lorenzo, with you on the saying hello to other runners thing. Not sure about everyone & everything though, although I do sometimes have to make a bit of noise to get the New Forest ponies out the way!

Well done Leslie; better pacing, and as a single effort rather than broken up too.

• Options

Feb 2 - 10K Jersey - GM - sub 40 
    Feb 9 - Chichester 10k - TR - a nice chunk quicker than Stubbington
    Feb 16 - Wrexham Half - Mennania - 79.xx 
    Feb 16 - Brighton Half - FINgers - TBC - Fitness Test 
    Mar 2 - Reading Half - FINge - TBC - Mid Long Run.- moof - sub 80 - literatin - sub 1:27 
    Mar 9 - Surrey Half - Lorenzo - 1:25.xx, Sporty Badger sub-1.30 
    Mar 9 - Milton Keynes Half - Abbers sub-1.30 
    Mar 9 - Retford Half - Knight Rider sub 1.25
    Mar 16 - Stafford Half - CC2 sub 1.25
    Mar 16 Barcelona - Barry B sub 3:15
    Mar 29 - Eco Trail de Paris 80Km - SJ - uninjured completion 
    Apr 6 - Lochaber Mara - Rich26 - Sub 3:15
    Apr 6 - Brighton Mara - FINgers  TBC - Sporty Badger sub-3.20 
    Apr 6 - Paris mara - Mennania - Sub 3 
    Apr 6 - Manchester mara - knight rider - Sub 3 
    Apr 13 - VLM - PMJ - 2.4x, Ant - sub 3, Bike It - 3:14:59, Lorenzo sub 3:10, Minni - 3:12, Abbers, Poacher - TBA, AR - get past 16 miles, CC2 2.59.59, - literatin - sub 3:05
    May 11 - Fred Whitton Challenge - SJ - no crashes 
    May 31 - Kent Roadrunner - Gul Darr sub 3:15 
    May 31 - Stockholm - SJ - sub 3:15 with match retention 
    Jun 1 - Comrades - Poacher - Bike It sub 8:20 
    Jun 1 - Walled city marathon - Leslie H 
    Jun ? - Swim length of Ullswater - SJ - no drowning 
    July - Thunder Run - Minni 
    July 27 - Outlaw - SJ - 10:xx 
    October - Yorkshire marathon - Minni TBC

• Options

Lorenzo - walking is dangerous, you should have run!

You know you haven't run for some time when you go to get a bottle of drink and a gel and their best before dates are May 2012. They haven't killed me yet.

• Options

Well done to all those braving the weather this weekend - doesn't make any easier.

Another good 20 miler Martin and with a quicker 2nd half!
    Monster weekly mileage Leslie.
    Great 5 mile PB Abbers. Not the best of conditions for running let alone racing to a PB.
    Looks like the MIds XC was horrible conditions Speedy & Jools. I prefer tarmac.

TR - yes the 13.1 @ MP was tough, although when it is my actual MP after the race I will be happy. Till then just got to start believing.

Well done of your 21 miler Ant. Good to get those ones under the belt. I know what you mean about the mental side of things. It always seems daunting when you think about the distance AND time you will be running.

Nice 21 miler too Birch! 28 years running is an amazing feat (with amazing feet!)

Lots of big mileage this week makes me jealous having only done 15 Saturday.

Blisters, that Bala half sounds like it good either way with the weather. How can you prepare for that?

Gerrard  -always expect the unexpected with dogs (and owners) Most of them are okay, but are quite a few in my local park who don't give a dam. The same ones who don't pick up their poo either - enough said!

Nice 10k results Lorenzoimage

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

KR - Yes you are correct and I did that's why I'm still in one piece to tell the story. A less fit and less nimble individual could have ended up badly hurt and the no sorry bit really pi$$ed me off. She was a rather rotund woman and I was tempted to say running might help her in that department but I think she may have let the dog off the leash if I had done.

Just time to say a quick well done to Lorenzo in the 10k, not a pb but a very decent time. Hope the ankle is ok. Will read back properly later.

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

BotF - good advertisement for product longevity!

4 easy ticked off. Week 6/16 has begun, and the schedule seems to be flying by. Thanks to all for congrats after Romsey. The PB was obviously welcome, it came within the schedule's benchmark time of 32:00, and probably most pleasingly, was 27 seconds faster than the same race last year, so progression from where I was fitness/speed-wise 12 months ago (previous PB was in 2012).

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

+1 for Blisters, excellent efforts, the unseen majority of the iceberg earning the right for the tip to shine on race day.

Lorenzo, BOTF and anyone who is crocked or needs to keep faith - just keep the faith

No long runs here, in African training camp for a few weeks - just a mind numbingly dull treadie in a stifling room, but can follow the Consistently etc team's progress on MT

/members/images/76130/Gallery/GetAttachment.aspx-2.jpeg

• Options

Jantastic, 22 members, 22 at 100% go: THE CONSISTENTLY CONSISTENT SUB-3:15 TEAM!

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

AR - I see, so its not low mileage, its just shorter long runs. 67M is more than enough to run a strong marathon off.

KR - 13M has to be the limit of MP possible in training and you are there this far out.

PMJ - interesting, I guess that I run my long runs slowly so dont get the fatigue that you get. Spot on with the life getting in the way though, I had that last week and it gets in the way of training.

Abbers - MK 1/2 next ? what time do you think you can run there ? 

• Options

Some great running from all the last few days! and good on the Jantastic team! I have put up my weekly target for feb!

4 easy tonight....

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

I dont usually look at what others commit to on Jantastic, just long my own runs. It appears that I'm the only one on 4 runs/week, some of you are doing 8 or 9, impressive stuff.