Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options

Good Parkrun & XC double OO-51

Impressive 10 miler Gerrard especially up hills and trails.

Good XC position Jools.

Race Jase's time is amazing - proper elite now!

That's a grim photo SJ, shame you've had a bad week fella.

Did an okayish Parkrun yesterday in 19.09 (and managed to stay upright this week -see photo below after my last effort) and a 15.5 miler this morning in the fog at 7.26 av pace.

/members/images/77921/Gallery/10703686_10203466332673925_1665152371887565358_n.jpg

• Options

Bike It - yesterday's 8 miler sounds promising.
    Leslie - well done finishing the 10 miler.
    SJ - ouch! I'm always stubbing my toe, but never drawn blood. Sorry to hear about the rest of your week too.
    Speedy - good determination. Hang on in there!
    Lorenzo - end of a good week's training.
    Jools - well done for a good XC result. You should be confident.
    Poacher - that's great - look forward to the report.
    moof - might be worth an mile or two or short reps at MP to boost your confidence?
    GM - sounds like a serious week lined up!
    Rennur - pleased to hear you're off the bench - take care next weekend!
    KR - nice parkrun - always to good to avoid scraping skin off!
    6 easy miles inc. 6x100m relaxed strides.
    Now off to look up RJ's result!

• Options

image That is just totally awesome!!! Way to go RJ!

• Options

Nasty foot pics and blood must be halloween again image 

Rennur - I wouldn't try running at 10:20 for pacing duties, it won't suit at tall given your normal pace.

Poacher-well done on yet another mara - how did you fair out ?

Moof- rest is probably best the last week if you have an niggle.

Kr- nice speedy 15 miler

5 miles at Gul o clock this am image

Race Jase ran 2:22:49 image

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Just quickly beaming in - great stuff from Poacher & Race Jase (amazing performance that), and those who keep injuring themselves, just stop it would you?!?

Bit of a "me" post without a proper read back, so apologies for that, but what I had expected at work came to pass today, so I now have plenty of training time on my hands, and theoretically don't have to work again for several months, although I don't think that attitude will go down very well with Mrs A! So, the job hunt begins. Also still x-training, so more time on the bike, although annoyingly can't get out for long daytime runs as I would otherwise quite like right now!

Will read back and see what everyone has been up to in more detail over the next day or two while I'm browsing jobs, agencies, etc and generally spending most of my life online!

• Options
    marrows wrote (see)

Gul - I got a cheer for winning the Cambridge boundary run once (but I didn't win it.  I had run the half, then jogged back on a shortcut across town to fetch my bag from the start).  It's a lovely low-key race but not good for a PB: got stuck walking on narrow footpaths in the first mile, and stuck in mud later on.

I did the same one year: got to 20 and was outside 6 minute pace so jogged back the short way up Grantchester Meadows and beat the winner home.

Lorenzo, parkrun report coming up, but I guess this is the horror that greeted you on facebook

https://c4.staticflickr.com/4/3938/15503441801_6d95aa822f_b.jpg

• Options

Odd few days of running.

Friday busy in the office so no running at all so a Friday off or F off as some will say.

Saturday I took my grapes to be crushed and made into wine (literally, no innuendo there at all) so I needed a parkrun close by and chose Nonsuch Park parkrun. Knew nothing about the course or field and even my spirited start left me in about 10th place at the 1km mark which was at the end of a good downhill section on a path. Course turned off onto grass and wound its way back to the start so I gradually picked optimistic starters so as the end of the first lap appeared I was up to third (potential podium) with two youngsters way ahead. I was then passed by someone who was behind me at 1 km and he pulled away. He seemed to be closing in on second who was coming back to us both so I held onto hope of a podium finish and concentrated on second. By the time we had down the downhill path the second time we both passed him so back on the podium. I pushed up the grass the second time and kept the other guy honest by passing him and holding second place for a while but he was half my age and a good hand taller so I knew if he stretched his legs on the run in I couldn't reply and that was what happened. Still, made him run a PB to beat me so he should be happy. Lap at the end cool down. Mile splits were 5:52, 6:10, 6:00 so happy with that last mile.

Sunday was 11 miles at 9:30 pace: a very social and slow run with a few locals to cheer on the Henley Half. Amazing how easy it felt, almost like a gentle walk. Tempted to see how much further I could go at that pace.

• Options

Sorry to hear that Abbers. Hope the job searching is fruitful. Shame you're not off over the summer though - that's just rude of them!

• Options

The toe is broken. I'm now sporting a comedy bandage to stem the still oozing blood.

Dont know where that leaves me for an autumn race, I was taking a liberty as it was but after 2 weeks off already followed by an indeterminate amount of time out again I'm resigning myself to hanging up my trainers for the season. Ho hum. 

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Leslie - Gul o'clock runs scare the life out of me!image

Abbers - Sorry to hear that! Hopefully you will be back running soon.

PMJ - Very nice parkrun there.

A rare running Monday for me today as I normally have Monday's as my rest day but I had to discharge my fatherly duties all day yesterday which meant no running! So today was a 15k double comprising of a very easy 24 min 5 lunch run along the seafront in, not so ideal windy conditions and then a nice hilly 10k run in 48 mins. The last 2 miles were downhill/flat and the legs felt great so pushed on a bit to record a 25:30 1st 5k and 22:50 2nd k. Enjoyed that run very much and felt strong coming back to attack the hills but not too hard. Work stuff gets in the way a bit tomorrow but I am planning a 7k lunch run with some 800 reps with a friend so that should be fun. Sub 1:50 pace group for the November half is coming together nicely, have 3 takers so far and they are all chasing/capable of a 1:49 so it should be an interesting day out.

• Options

Looking at maybe sneaking over to the continent:

http://www.lpm-marathon.be/en/index.html

8th Feb, small field (188 last year) but enough quality (24 sub 3:15) and for 75 € all in you get 1 night in a comfortable room (bathroom + toilet)    + breakfast +  registration fee + exclusive marathon medal 

I reckon if I can find a few friends and run a car through the tunnel then transport would be about £30 tops so only extra on top of that is a few beers.

GM, had a look at the Jersey one but it is too late for me: same day as London and that is risky with heat.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Abbers; sorry to hear the feared news came to pass - I hope things work out for you soon
    SJ - tough break !

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

PMJ - That sounds and looks like a great one to do. I'm spending Xmas in Belgium this year with my sister who is based outside Brussels. I'm still hoping I can get a London place through the local club but if not I will be looking at other options and maybe not the Jersey one.

• Options

Leslie - good early running!
    Abbers - sorry to hear your news. Hope the right job turns up.
    PMJ - nicely paced parkrun. Sounds like you've found a great little event too. Having second thoughts here as nothing seems to be working out - may revert to my original plan of an autumn marathon and London will have to wait until 2016!
    SJ - oh no!!!
    GM - nice double.
    10 miles d&d. 5 slow out (8:48m/m) and 5 slow back (8:07m/m).

• Options

Ah, of course, I meant 2017! That does seem a long time to wait...

• Options

Gerard - nice double and early runs are feeling really tough now but I have to try it image

Abbers-hopefully you get a job soon enough but get a little recovery break for a few weeks as well.image

Slokey-hope it doesn't cost too much time off.

Gul -nice 10 but 8 min/miles don't sound too slow to me ! 2017 is looking way too far ahead ...that's like a lifetime away !

5.4m at early o clock again working my way up to 6 slowly with each 0.1m, will just have to get up a little earlier, got a running buddy too for the early runs now image

• Options

I like the link PMJ to that marathon, not that far to drive from Calais. A well priced affair as well. I like the fact they say there will absolutely be no prize money as it is a memorial race. I'll be driving by Ghent on Sunday on my way to Holland and maybe stopping off for lunch.

• Options

Abbers, sorry to hear of the change in circumstances.

I'm still uncertain about plans. Passed the idea by my wife and she is still very anti marathons so it may have to be an undercover UK one: "I'm just out for a longish run this morning, back for a late lunch!" Having a second look at the The Spring Shakespeare 2015 which is 8 x 5k laps on an airfield plus a bit.

11 at lunchtime at 7:22 pace. Felt very easy all the way so leg are obviously ready for Sunday and Cabbage Patch 10. 3 easy days coming up.

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Leslie - So cool you have a buddy for your early morning runs.image

PMJ - What is the target for CP10? I recall you would normally go for the sub 60. Is that achievable do you think?

5k lunch run today instead of 800 reps with my freind who bailed. 6:51 pace and it felt horribly difficult. Put that down to naughty bottle of red last night.

• Options

GM, target is 80% WAVA which is now down to 62:30. Sub-60 would be 83.3% and beyond current levels and it may be I have gone sub-60 for the last time ever: next couple of years are most likely the last few chances. Sub 60 at 52 is 85.4%.

As an example, 80% WAVA is 18:11 for 5k and I did parkrun in 18:36 and 1:23:18 for a half and I did 1:24 so I am in the right region.

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

PMJ - Will be good to get 80% then. 62:30 sounds very doable for you.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Abbers - sorry to hear that. Hope you get sorted quickly.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

PMJ I'm sure sub 60 is within your reach....

• Options

Leslie - another good early run - nice to find someone to share those early mornings with too! Well done spotting my mistake. I meant to type 5 slow out and 5 easy back!
    PMJ - very promising run - don't write off sub 60 yet!
    GM - still all good training.
    Decided to have a bit of a blast this morning, so after a decent warm-up did 3k in 11:28 (1k splits of 3:48, 3:51, 3:48). I was hoping for something a little bit faster, but that wasn't too bad. 7 miles in all.

• Options

PMJ- you can do it !

Gerard - nice 5k

Gul-good pace for that time of the morn ! min/miles is good but time in K's is confusing to me especially this early !

Just under 7 last night with 6x400m thrown in at around 94 secs each which was a little too much for a school day yet (plan was 4 and no reps image) and 5 this morn but I really struggled to get going on tired legs for the first mile.

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Thanks to all for the best wishes. As the opening paragraph of my redundancy letter stated "The company is taking these actions to continue to invest in growth, innovation and talent", I consider myself better off out of it! 

Gul - you sure you ran a marathon a week or two ago? image Getting back to it very quickly.

SJ - hope the toe isn't too sore.

Leslie, GM - ticking along nicely.

PMJ - as others have said, don't write off that sub-60 just yet! 

A bit misty and damp down here, but should be able to get out for some bike time later.

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Good luck rearranging yourself Abbers. Will you write your marathon PB on your CV? I don't think I will (job-hunting too)

PMJ - see you at Cabbage Patch - but briefly, and only your heels (I will be 1:07 or slower). Is your wife anti- even jogged marathons? or is the problem that your 3:14:59 trundle could facilitate racing VLM 2016?

Nice kms Gul, and happy to hear you're enjoying your runs GM.

Legs still a little sore and sluggish after Oxford HM on Sunday.  I got my sub 90 but only just!

Meanwhile, seems like not long until spring marathon training now.  I'm looking forward to it.  Just gotta pick a schedule - P&D again? Hmm

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

nice one marrows - only just is good enough !  

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the sub 90 Marrows. Champs start at vlm next year image

Sorry to hear about the redundancy, Abbers. Hope you can turn it into something positive for you.

Taper madness gradually setting in here. Hurrah.
  • Options

marrows, do tell some stories about Oxford half. I have heard horror stories about traffic and people getting there flustered or late even with a 20 minute delay at the start. Good result however and champs entry is a just reward.

My wife is just anti-marathon. She says it is Sunday long runs but I looked and I only did 5 Sunday runs in this campaign but they are probably hidden among 4 cross country races as well so 9 Sundays in 3 months is a lot (so only 3 free Sundays). Under cover marathon is going to be the next big thing.