Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options

Just listened to the latest marathon talk and we don't really need reports from Race Jase nor Poacher as they both get significant airtime and name checks.

Marrows, do say, however you presented it publicly, there was a little bit of you that was secretly pleased when you bowled the kid over.

TR, indeed most the long runs were midweek so a lot of Tuesday long and Thursday medium combos with a parkrun Saturday and XC Sunday. It it just the Sunday races, and Wokingham being cancelled didn't help as I drove to Deal in Kent and back and that took all day.

Gul, Sat March 14th is 21 weeks tomorrow. Friday March 13th is my 20 year anniversary at work. Only fly in the ointment may be end of term at Cambridge is also the Friday so may be on pick up duty but could delay that to Sunday.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Good luck and the usual exhortations to the marathoners . . . . 

PMJ/Gul - please do the Raceway mara - surely would provide great entertainment for the rest of us - 8 laps, half mara/10K/5K going on - great scope for mayhem  . . . .

Jools - any taper eccentricities going on?

3 runs here this week 6,4,5 - odd period surrounding a marathon - following months of higher miles, there's a month of easing down & recovering, with a big effort in the middle. 7:15am start tomorrow - maybe do 2 hours.   

• Options

PMJ - that really doesn't like a good weekend for you to be sloping off to Warwickshire!
    Birch - good luck with the run tomorrow. I am hoping to do a parkrun within the next couple of weeks, but tomorrow doesn't look suitable.

• Options

Last run in today. Think everything is in tip top shape (just though). Stuffing my face and not happy to do it. For some reason I hate the pressure of packing in 600 or so grams of carbs per day for 2 days.image I know I need to but it just doesn't follow the general "do less" theme of taper.image Will hopefully report back with good news. You just never know what the day will bring...which is why my nerves always go into hyperdrive in final days...

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Good luck VT runner, looking forward to your report back.

Heavy week of indulgence in Paris and Barcelona here. Did manage one run with a lady colleague from Italy who has posted a 3:02 marathon in her 40's. Today's parkrun could be shabby....   

• Options

VTr - you've have a good campaign; all the best for the race.
    OO - parkrun should be a cinch after keeping up with the 3:02 mara Italian.
    Overslept today till 4:55, so decided to cut back a few miles and up the tempo a bit. 12 miles inc. 8 @ 7:09 m/m. Sweating buckets now and struggling to control the mouse pad! Better go and get a shower.
    All the best to PMJ too at Cabbage Patch and of course the Abo crew again. Anyone else racing?

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Good luck racers this w/e, don't be .....*

* (fill in the obvious word, or any word which motivates)
  • Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Bad news about that job Abbers.  I would say that every cloud has a silver lining, but my experience is that things are tough out there at the moment.  I had about 5 months off before getting serious about applying for jobs this September and it is not going positively, so get motivated!

Not good on the foot front SJ.  Speedy recovery wishes

All 'training' is finished.  1x 20 miler and 2 miles at pace, 8kg down (LCHF) and lots of hill running.  It could be 'interesting'.  Target pace will be below 8:20 to get a C-seed for Comrades, but as fast as possible within that.  I'll be number 440 on the day and hope to see fellow Forumiites, although Moof would probably be home by the time I finish.

• Options

Lorenzo - thanks for torch advice will have a look image

Poacher - no wonder your tired after 3 mara's ! looking forward to more charleston girl antics.

Gul- nice if a little late late tempo 

Good-luck all the weekend racers image

3 warmup, parkrace (20:40 which is 20 secs faster than last week image) 2 cooldown gives me 55mile  for the week  .Had a little stumble just before the line at max attack ...could have been nasty luckily I didn't surf the tarmac image

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

You are slipping Gul, that's a shocking lay in...

!8:34 at the parkrun, shabby as predicted. Junior was less than 2 minutes behind and 2nd lady. We are training for Lausanne 10k next weekend- so I told her to go flat out first mile and try to hold on as long as possible. I think her 42 min. pb could go next week.

Steady there Leslie...and great mileage. 

• Options

Another good early run (despite oversleeping) from Gul. Have you decided what your Spring plans are yet?

Nice going Leslie - glad you didn't join the ranks of folks on here with injuries due to stumbling / slipping / bumping into things.

Poacher - looking forward to Series 2 (or is it 3?) of "Charleston Girl and her running colleagues".

OO - more good running from Ms OO. I think her PB will go next week!

After a easy 5 miles yesterday morning along the banks of the River Lune, I was back on the hills today with a 16 mile circuit of Box Hill. Obviously involved a few ups and downs so pleased to run it at an average pace of 7:48.

2 weeks to go until the Thames Meander Marathon which I'm running as my qualifying race for Comrades (i.e. with an aim of sub 3:20 rather than shooting for 3:0x) and am thinking ahead to next weekend for which there are 3 options:

- 10-12 miles easy (i.e. the recommended distance if I was shooting for a fast time at the marathon.
    - Parkrun as a bit of fun speedwork
    - Battersea Park 10 mile race

I'm tempted by the 10 mile race but is this wise only a week out?

• Options

Lorenzo, I think those Battersea Park 10 milers are a bit thin so may not be the best race to do unless you like it solo.

• Options
    Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

00 -51 - I remain envious of your speed, even when you think you've been shabby

Lorenzo - were you at the 'lovely' Holiday Inn by any chance? My long runs often take me onto the luneside path. I join it further north and run to the end and back, when I need to get in a beautiful 20 miler.

Jools - Is Frankfurt your marathon? One week to go.

Just over 17 hours to go to Abingdon - good luck.

Been a bit rough this week, with no running Monday to Friday - possibly due to getting very cold last Saturday, marshalling for my club at the Langdale Horseshoe. Esk Hause was an exciting place to be with 2 Mountain Rescue call outs required. Anyway, felt a bit better this morning and 4 easy miles confirmed running's healing powers.

• Options

Fishy - no, I was at the Sun Inn. Basically a pub with rather small rooms but the food was pretty good. Headed out early doors on the south side of the river towards the coast until it got too difficult to see the path then turned round and went over the river and along the other side. Never seen a city with quite so many roadworks though! image

PMJ - there were about 130 finishers in the 10 mile race earlier this year with times ranging from sub-55 to 1:51 so as it's a multi-lap course with, no doubt, a few recreational runners and dog walkers it shouldn't be too bad. I'm sure it'll be busier than the Surrey Hills at 6am!

Good luck to the Abo crew for tomorrow.

• Options
    Good luck and skill to racers this weekend. Mine's the Humboldt Redwoods mara, and it feels like it'll be a bit odd, as I don't have a goal. Injury recovery cancelled my original idea of a 3:04 target. Plan B was to jog around with my brother-in-law at 10:20, but advice and intuition tells me that was a bad idea. So, I'll aim for something like a 3:45 finish and try to enjoy the scenery.

On the positive side, I'm about to experiment with the carb loading plan that includes short intense activity the morning before and 10-12g carbs per kilo of body weight. Will report back on how that feels.
  • Options

Rennur - interested to hear how your carb loading plan goes. I'm just under 70kg - does that mean I'd have to have 700-800gr (i.e. 1.5lb) of pasta beforehand. I'm not sure I could cope with that level of loading!

• Options
    Lorenzo wrote (see)

PMJ - there were about 130 finishers in the 10 mile race earlier this year with times ranging from sub-55 to 1:51 so as it's a multi-lap course with, no doubt, a few recreational runners and dog walkers it shouldn't be too bad. I'm sure it'll be busier than the Surrey Hills at 6am!

I reckon you should do 64.xx for 10 miles and there were three runners from 62:30 to 65:08 which is slim. By comparison, Cabbage Patch 10 which has to be on your doorstep, had 19 64.xx runners.

• Options
    Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - Ahh, much better to be at the Sun Inn in the City. You ran part of the course for the Lancaster Half Marathon, which is in a couple of weeks. Not that I'm doing it this year. I live about 5 miles north of Lancaster and haven't ventured into town by car since all those horrendous road works started. 

Rennur - Good luck with both the cargo loading and the Humboldt Redwoods.

• Options
    Lorenzo, your maths are good. I too am frightened by that volume of carbs (I'm about your weight) so will be very interested in how it goes. (Traditionally, I've gone for around 450g on the day before, so this is a real leap.)

Just in from 1 slow mile -- 1/2 mile @5:25 -- 1 slow mile... Invigorating!
  • Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Mmmmmmm.....carb loading! Is birthday cake allowed?

Best of luck to all racers tomorrow.

Bike it -my number is 389 but I will be wearing a bin liner, I'll look out for you.
  • Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Fingers crossed for all the racers.

Very disappointing gym visit today - just normal training going on, no fails, and no sign of Charleston G, so no weird dancing. Hoping it's back to normal tomorrow.
  • Options

PMJ - 64.xx might be a bit optimistic. Macmillan would suggest 65:10 based on my 10K PB but I'm not in the sort of shape I was when I did that. Based on the recent half I did, I'm looking at around 66 and I'd certainly settle for that, especially as it would be more than 2 minute PB.

Rennur - good luck with the carbs. Can you can spread the intake over a couple of meals the evening before?

Poacher - v. disappointing. You'll just have to head back to your room and write up your York report. image

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

VTR - Good luck and hope the conditions are favourable!

Rennur- Enjoy the scenery and I hope you have a good run!

Moof - All the best for Abo!

Bike it - Likewise and look forward to seeing how you go.

OO - Interesting pacing strategy re Junior. Were you being serious? Sounds more like a 5k pacing strategy to me.

Gul - Nice run there!

Fishy - Nice to hear you're back to it and sounds like you have shaken the bug.

Very hectic week this side for me, work and life stuff intervened/interfered with my running so I was a tad disappointed with 58k/36m. The bulk of that was made up with a 15k double and a 23k run today. Headed out thinking I would do 21.1k and run up some nice hills but I got a bit carried away after 5k or so and picked up the pace and all was well until 15k and then took the eye off the ball  and took a wrong turn and ended up running up more hills and a extra 2k and felt pretty rough for the last 6k or so. Didn't help that I had an impromptu visit from a friend last night and we stayed up until 3am! Coupled with football, swimming and kids party duties today. Glad I did it though as it was a gloriously sunny day, 21c! Took in some lovely coastal spots too so not all bad. Full day of parental duties so no running tomorrow but can't wait to hear the reports!

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Best of luck to today's racers!

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭

A bit belated but I am hoping today's racers are going well!  *wills on the marathoners*

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    The marathon has a way to punish the ill prepared and the over optimistic. I was both.

Blew up in mile 21 to shuffle/walk home in 3:48. A new PW in road marathons
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Most of us have been there, BikeIt- I am the proud owner of a DNF, after all.  Recover well and take care of yourself.

• Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Tough day today, wind really picked up at mile 15, haemorrhaged a bit of time on the last few miles.

Managed to pick off a fair few runners and wasn't overtaken at all from half way.

Not my A goal but still a PB by a minute really chuffed as I put a lot into that.

I'll write something a little later.

Nice to meet you Bike it, sorry it didn't go your way.
  • Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Oops forgot the time. 2.57.47. image
  • Options
    Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Well played on a windy day Moof. The weekly mileage you've posted on here shows the work you put in for a well deserved PB.

Take it easy Bike It. We all know what a risky business this marathon running is. It took until mile 21 before the marathon shuffle arrived - maybe there's a little comfort in that. Recover well.

And I say recover well to all recent marathoners, which is not what I'm doing! Poorly last week and managed to injure my right knee and calf this morning. Had to limp home the last mile of what was meant to be an easy 6 this morning. I'll be returning to the bike for the next couple of weeks.