Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options

PMJ- thanks for the stat's image , if there was one thing you are right about its the time on feet something I neglected this year and didn't even get close to 3hrs more than once on the long run something I need to do better this time.I can and do run 9:30's well usually 1 at the start of every run due to a bad knee but if I did the majority of my easy running at that I don't think id see any more pb's this decade image 

I was however able to nail the p&d style hard 12 and 14 at mara pace sessions and even exceed the paces in the last few miles .The 3:27 was from a year ago though I was targeted 3:15 this year  till my leg fell off  3 weeks before itimage so training paces should have been a little bit quicker. Nice annual mileage image

Nayan- as said sub 90 half and you are on the monies for a 3:15 if things go well.

Birch- 90 min warmup what you at ? , sack that and 80% wava is for the taking !

GUL-nice fast run

KR- if you have it why not, the cheek trying to pass you image

Slokey- all those 2 milers add up you will catch him in no time image

1912 miles this year so far for me , a fair bit down on last year image

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Good effort Birch, yes that is a hell of a warm up...

Busy here too- nice easy week to build up for my ten miler at the w/end.

• Options

2 miles done! No problem until my collie got spooked by a bike and dived in between my legs causing a rather graceless tumble along the pavement. 2 grazed knees but otherwise intact. Look out PMJ! I only need another 1500miles between now and Christmas to catch up.

• Options

PMJ - good mileage for the year so far.
    Birch - ditto. Nice parkrun and WAVA too.
    KR - good base building and speedy mile near the end!
    Leslie - that's still good mileage.
    SJ - 30+ miles a day should do it! Daren't take the in-laws spaniel out running with me.
    5 mile recovery run d&d.

• Options

Morning peeps,

After a bit f a false start last week I'm back training proper. Cheers for the welcome backs.

SJ - I make that only about 30 miles a day... easy.

Nayan - Depends on how long a build up you are thinking about - if you are targeting a spring mara 2015 I would look more at the HM times than the 10k times if you want an indication. If you can run sub 90 now then that would put you in a good position to target 3:15 but things will need to go well. Weekly mileage is way more variable - some people on here can get away with not so much but others a lot more. For me to get sub 3:15 I'd run 88mins for HM and averaged between 40 and 50 miles for about 16 weeks. But I'm not a natural runner so need to really apply myself. Good luck.

6miles General Aerobic running for me today with 10x100m strides thrown in - just starting to get a bit of structure back to my training. The plan is to follow the forst few weeks of P&D 24wk 70mile plan to get a bit of a foundation, and then follow the same PaulaR plan that I followed last time out which got me to a PB. Loose target at the moment is to run a GFA in Brighton next spring. That's a long way off though. 

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I reckon I should scrape 2000 by Christmas, averaging c40 miles per week.

My hip has been getting sore for a few weeks. I'm fearing the old war wound is coming back image

• Options

FINgers - your advice is spot I'd say regarding the half marathon time and 40 -50 miles per week to have a good stab at 3.15. I would however say that a sub 40 10k is a good benchmark and indicator for a sub 90 minutes half. Blimey a 24 week P&D plan - that's commitment!

I'm tempted by a Maravan in a couple of weeks (marathon around a caravan park) but haven't done any training, but could be a good base mileage occasion!

4 miles @ 8.10 pace last night

• Options

KR - Agree regarding the sub40 10k, although I'm still carrying a (very soft) 10k pb as I've only run them outside of my "optimum fitness window".

I'm not sure I could hack the full 24wks of the plan but just using the first few weeks as a framework to get a good base back.

That said, the PaulaR plan that I've got is pretty full on - I think that I managed to hit about 80% of sessions in any given week last time out so if I can do that or better I should be ok.

• Options

Hi Folks! Sorry to have been offline for so long. Life has been crazy since the marathon. I know I've missed many events, but wanted to say congrats to MsE and Lorenzo for the great marathon performances a few weeks back. Also cracking stuff OO (from you and your daughter). PMJ nice 10 miler too!. I'm sure I'm forgetting others but great stuff from the threadsters!

Just cracked the 2K mark over the weekend (2008 on the year). Maybe will see 2300 by year's end. I have done a bit too much fast running in my reverse taper but managed to stay in one piece despite a PF flare up a week ago (all better now!).

Interesting discussion going on about training (how much time on your feet, at what effort, allowing for proper recovery, etc). Someone mentioned how running miles too slow would hurt their times. Below I paste a link to the HADD thread's first post (HR based training forum). In it are some interesting links to follow. They are lengthy reads, but address some of these issues. For my own training, post marathon (or starting from a place far removed from race fitness) I begin with all easy mileage. I try to shoot for 40-60 miles per week (in 4-6 runs), but all the miles are done at or less than 70% MaxHr. For those that haven't trained like this those slower effort runs feel awful at first (you are engaging all the slow twitch fibers you normally never use!). But eventually you get them trained and your pace at the effort becomes faster. Anyway, my benchmark before adding any speed work is that I can run for 10-12 miles w/HR and pace not rising. When I hit this stage, I can then introduced 2 subLT runs per week at 80% of MaxHR (usually 90 minutes w/70 at 80 and a w/u and c/d around that...you can start the 70 minutes at 15 min x2 w/jog in between and work up to it). You also get a LR on the weekend. Eventually you push these subLTs efforts up so you can do those sessions comfortably at 85% maxHR. At this point, HADD would have said you are ready to do more specific training (speed stuff for shorter than marathon distance or whatever you would do for marathon specific training, which, in my case, is simply what I've described as I'm FT). The point of this particular approach is to become an aerobic monster before starting the race season so you can handle any and all to follow. I bring it up as I'm planning to do this over the winter and then transition into training for 5/10k and half marathon training for this summer/fall. But the base training plan itself is good for keeping injuries at bay as you are forced to really take it easy on non-quality days so you are fresh for the quality. Of course I am an N = 1 for all this but if my last marathon is any indication, it had me fit at the start line.

I'm going to need help from you guys finding or tailoring a training plan to get some PBs at 5/10K (I'm completely clueless and I haven't stumbled upon anything that jumps out yet on the internet...too much noise out there)!

• Options

Hi Folks! Sorry to have been offline for so long. Life has been crazy since the marathon. I know I've missed many events, but wanted to say congrats to MsE and Lorenzo for the great marathon performances a few weeks back. Also cracking stuff OO (from you and your daughter). PMJ nice 10 miler too!. I'm sure I'm forgetting others but great stuff from the threadsters!

Just cracked the 2K mark over the weekend (2008 on the year). Maybe will see 2300 by year's end. I have done a bit too much fast running in my reverse taper but managed to stay in one piece despite a PF flare up a week ago (all better now!).

Interesting discussion going on about training (how much time on your feet, at what effort, allowing for proper recovery, etc). Someone mentioned how running miles too slow would hurt their times. Below I paste a link to the HADD thread's first post (HR based training forum). In it are some interesting links to follow. They are lengthy reads, but address some of these issues. For my own training, post marathon (or starting from a place far removed from race fitness) I begin with all easy mileage. I try to shoot for 40-60 miles per week (in 4-6 runs), but all the miles are done at or less than 70% MaxHr. For those that haven't trained like this those slower effort runs feel awful at first (you are engaging all the slow twitch fibers you normally never use!). But eventually you get them trained and your pace at the effort becomes faster. Anyway, my benchmark before adding any speed work is that I can run for 10-12 miles w/HR and pace not rising. When I hit this stage, I can then introduced 2 subLT runs per week at 80% of MaxHR (usually 90 minutes w/70 at 80 and a w/u and c/d around that...you can start the 70 minutes at 15 min x2 w/jog in between and work up to it). You also get a LR on the weekend. Eventually you push these subLTs efforts up so you can do those sessions comfortably at 85% maxHR. At this point, HADD would have said you are ready to do more specific training (speed stuff for shorter than marathon distance or whatever you would do for marathon specific training, which, in my case, is simply what I've described as I'm FT). The point of this particular approach is to become an aerobic monster before starting the race season so you can handle any and all to follow. I bring it up as I'm planning to do this over the winter and then transition into training for 5/10k and half marathon training for this summer/fall. But the base training plan itself is good for keeping injuries at bay as you are forced to really take it easy on non-quality days so you are fresh for the quality. Of course I am an N = 1 for all this but if my last marathon is any indication, it had me fit at the start line.

I'm going to need help from you guys finding or tailoring a training plan to get some PBs at 5/10K (I'm completely clueless and I haven't stumbled upon anything that jumps out yet on the internet...too much noise out there)!

• Options

sorry, here are two good links for anyone interested:

http://www.angio.net/personal/run/hadd.pdf

http://can.milesplit.com/discussion/topics/90162

I think in my case this training has been a good fit as I was starting from scratch back in 2011. Others may have that aerobic engine built already and won't need a base training like this. FWIW, it's the subLT stuff that really get's the engine dialed in.

• Options

Wow, sorry for the double post.image Not sure how I managed that...

• Options

Slokey- Ouch !

00-51-not another creaky  hip 

KR- caravan park mara - hope the scenery is nice !

VTR-sounds like you got the training all mapped out , for 5k's increasing reps of 400's (maybe up to 12 or 14)  at goal pace or slightly above would help image

6 miles today with 4 at possible mara pace (7:25) 

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭

THanks all. Yes I've been doing about 45-50 mi/week and am looking to have a go at 41m 10 k soon, and then the 40m/1:30 benchmarks (ideally better) ahead of London. 

3:15 GFA is the goal but with luck I'll be training for a little better just to build in a buffer

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

VT, you certainly compensated for all those missed weeks. 5-10 k's are easy, you just do pleny of speedwoek and tempo session- push hard in training and you get the payback in the races.

Nayan, you are in the right place. So many regulars on this thread started where you are and met all their goals. So stick around and share as much as you can about your pedigree and training.

Leslie- looks that way but I'm hoping to get through Sunday's 10 miler then cut backa bit  until December before the next VLM campaign.  

• Options
    Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Leslie - 1912 with a couple of 2014 months looks good to me!

SJ - How was your 2 miler PMJ catch up?

Fingers - Nice long term planning there. What are the differences between P&D and PR's plan?

2.7 mile walk last night; 2.7 mile walk + some very short and very slow (Hadd style!) jogs. All ok & just managing to keep my injury chimp under control

• Options

OO, yes, used up my allotment of thread space one post.image So a typical week for 5/10K training might look something like this:

Monday: rest or easy

Tuesday: intervals

Wed: easy

Thurs: easy

Friday: Tempo

Sat: rest

Sunday: LR

Tweak away!

BTW, what does a typical tempo run look like? How about some standard interval sessions?

Fishy, saw your post on the other thread. I think it would be challenging to do HR training w/out the HR monitor. We'll see what the others think. Nice Hadding BTW.image

Leslie, seems you are back into your groove again.

SJ, glad to hear you are running again. Progress is progress! Pretty soon you'll get to try those Cliftons...

8 miles tonight w/8 striders. On the first one my legs/hips didn't want to respond, but by the 3rd the rust had come off. Felt nice to get the legs moving fast.

• Options

FINgers - good luck with the base building.
    KR - a maravan - love it!
    VTr - interesting to read about your Hadd style training. By sub LT, do you mean slightly slower or faster than LT? As for 5k/10k training plans, I usually just make my own up (after pinching a few ideas from McMillan or whoever!)
    Leslie - nice 6 miler.
    Nayan - you've reminded me I still need to nail that sub 40 one day.
    Fishy - great patience.
    12 miles @ 7:36 m/m. Entries for the Cambridge Boundary Run are now open and they have a new course. I emailed one of the Race Directors and he replied to say that he thought it was unlikely that VLM would accept the race for a GFA qualifier as it is not officially measured. Plus it is not the fastest of courses with off-road sections and roads to cross in place. So looks like Raceways Shakespeare is now the hot favourite.

• Options

Fishey - P&D vs Paula.... Both plans have a lot of structure to them, and a lot of miles, but P&D seem to focus a lot on the General Aerobic running with one or two more structured sessions in the week - Paula's plan is a bit more varied.

I happen to have a link here to her plan, it's only there for my benefit and personal reference but for educational reasons you might want to have a quick look... image

They're both pretty hard core though...

http://alexsullivan.com/QuickShare/PaulaFullPlan.pdf

• Options

KR - I'm the other way round, I've run several sub-90 HMs (including the last one) but my 10K PB remains stubbornly fixed at 40:10!

Bit too much quality in my training lately, so I'll be taking it steady at club this evening and will keep my long runs nice and slow for a while.

• Options

Everyone is different 40 minutes as you have proved. Sub 40 umst be there for the taking given a decent course & right conditions

Good paced 12 miler Gul - still looking good

Fastest run in 3 weeks last night at the Club with 7 miles @ 7.04 av pace sandwiched between an easy 1.6 mile “jog” there and home.

Maravan might be off as it works out at £100 for entry, petrol, B&B etc. So a bit hard to justify when I'm not actually training for it.

• Options

Maravan! image

Fishy, the dog tripped me up and my hip was sore yesterday as a result but other than that it was great to be running again and yes, VTR, the Cliftons are super.

Back in the pool last night for a splash about.

• Options

maravan is actually 2 marathons in 2 days: back to back days of laps round a caravan park

• Options

Maravan sounds chuffing brilliant. All the boredom and pain of the marathon TIMES TWO!  Bound to be wet and windy as well.  Back in blighty at last and might try to get over there. On the road this w/e so have accidentally entered a mara which is 8 laps of a deserted airfield in Warwickshire.image  Bring it on. As John Cleese put it, " "It's not the disappointment, it's the hope I can't cope with"

KR you need to sign up.  Two maras in two days is, err, an experience. Harder than doing two in one day, if that makes sense.

SJ welcome back to running.

• Options

(edit to delete double post - eh?)

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Caravan parks usually have pretty decent roads, I think, so could be a fast course?

Poacher - the Racecourse marathon is taking place in Jan - you up for that?

Mostly swimming here. Almost at the point of stepping it up a bit, me thinks.image
  • Options

40mins - same here - sub 90 quite a bit easier than sub 40.
    KR - shame about the maravan. Nice fast 3 mile sandwich.
    Poacher - that sounds like the Shakespeare Spring Raceways marathon - maybe see you there!
    Minni - good news.
    5 recovery miles d&d.

• Options
    Gul it's the autumn version, this weekend.

Minni - racecourse could be on the radar, how about you.?
  • Options
    PMJ - There is an option to run either Saturday or Sunday or both days. Places are limited to 40 each day which is odd. Only 3 places left for sunday at the moment.3.8mile loop x7 round the caravan park (biggest in Europe) With views out to the north sea. I think it's their first time so maybe more places next year? Still not completely ruled it out but head says too much financially at this time of year... unless I click enter by mistake!
  • Options
    Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Fingers - Thanks for the link. It is a full on plan, though I like all the strength training that is included.

VTR - I've been pondering whether I may, after all, be able to really slow down to up my mileage and still preserve my knee. But I'm not that fussed for techy running gear, so was just really wondering how slow Hadd paces are, say in comparison to P&D easy run paces.

SJ - what makes the Cliftons super?

2.7 miles walk jog again tonight. Slightly more jogging than on Tuesday. All ok.