Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Great post there Poacher. Always good to get back to basics - why do we run?

Everyone is suddenly full of Christmas cheer - it's one of my favourite times of the year to be a runner, no matter how fast or slow or fit or fat I am.

Hope the calf is healing well Badbark. I had a similar removal from my back in April, which turned out to be nothing sinister, but left a nice target scar.

Continuing to slowly build with 25 last week and a planned 28 for this (can I cope with the extreme mileage Smokey?). 
    I've run for about 35 years. To keep going for another 35 would be marvellous.

• Options

KR - yes, 17 miles with some MP+10% on tired legs is tough!
    Poacher - good to hear from you and nice to know you're enjoying the running again - nice Waterside mara. 2 to go and then...
    Speedy - sorry to hear things haven't been good. New Year will soon be here!
    Minni - hi! Did you hear how the Newark Castle mara went?
    GM - have a great Christmas!
    Leslie - Done much walking this week?
    Jools - Only 2.5 days to go for me... still feels like I'm at the start line though!
    Lorenzo - no offence taken! Have a good Christmas.
    Fishy - that's a great target!
    8 steady miles this morning - a bit faster than yesterday but nothing silly (I had more ground to cover to finish the Christmas card deliveries!) even so it was quite hard going!

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Good to see a few familiar faces popping back in, and the recently benched continuing their recoveries (Gul, Fishy).

Some good weekend escapades being reported too; is everyone off work over Christmas, or any unfortunate souls who have shift/on-call/public service work that means you have to keep at it? Last day for me tomorrow.

10 easy on Sunday morning, then couldn't face a soaking yesterday lunch so stuck with the gym and did 5x1k on the treadie instead.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

welcome back to the returnees 

good longevity, Fishy - I'll pass 30 years of (recorded) running in January

Abbers - I'm working until 4pm Christmas Eve & New Year's Eve  . . . .

• Options

Fishy- keep ramping the sky's the limit image

Gul- any excuse for a run ! I've walked 2 mile every day for 6 days now and the urge to ramp up or run is getting silly now ,I see the consultant on 30th so will see what he says though i'm sure I know already ..he will warn of tendon rupture and doom !!!!!image

Abbers- nice dreadmill racing image

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

I must make keeping up with this thread a priority in 2016.  Its blocked on my work computer, which is naff!

My plans for 2016 - going to give London a miss because I don't feel ready to start marathon training for a serious marathon.  Going to target our local 20m fell race (which includes two hills of well over 2000ft) in July then Amsterdam in October.  The first half of the year will be about shorter distances and long off road runs. image  Looking forward to getting focused again. 

• Options

Well thanks for the welcome-backs - hadn't realised others were taking a sabbatical so welcome back to Speedy, Minni and any others. Looks like everyone has been working hard except Minni who for some reason was too lightweight to go from the Scottish Borders to Portsmouth for the weekend - no commitment image. London won't be the same without you.

6m recovery today along the canal, felt OK.  

Enjoy the time off work; I'm flat out over Xmas/NY then back overseas in Jan image. Is everyone running on Christmas day?

• Options

Likewise, I didn't realise there were a few of us all returning to the fold at once! 

Christmas day is a must - parkrun of course.

• Options

Definitely running Christmas Day, but probably just 5M recovery.

• Options

Leslie - be good now!
    No run this morning - went for a haircut and couldn't believe there were 4 people already in the barber's shop at 5:50am. I had to wait nearly an hour. Not planning for a run on Christmas Day, but maybe I should put a red suit and hat on and go out really early!

• Options

That's a long wait at that time in the morning Gul. You could have done a quick run!

No running since a 5 miler on Monday night. I've picked up a cold & full of snot. Hopefully will get out on Boxing Day.

Merry Christmas everyone - Enjoy!

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

No running Christmas Day, but a 10 miler planned for early tomorrow morning, assuming my evening in the pub tonight with some of the cricket guys isn't too outrageous, and then I'll be out on Boxing Day with some of our house guests, namely my mountain marathon running brother-in-law, his girlfriend and their border collie.

6.5 steady miles at lunch, and as this is my last day at work until the New Year, now counting down to about 5:30! So, as I probably won't be on here for a few days, Happy Christmas one and all, and see you on the other side! image

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I have never run on Christmas day- I'd get lynched by the family if I suggested it. I was on the track with junior this morning  @8:30am with junior. She wiped the floor with me  imageimage

• Options
    I'll be out for a run on Christmas Day - have done for the past few years whilst wearing a Santa hat. It will be shorter than usual though as still inching my way back to fitness.

Great to see folks coming back. Made me feel all nostalgic and festive image

Happy Christmas everybody.....
  • Options
    Which event is going to be #49 Poacher?
  • Options
    Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Always run on Christmas Day, 4-5 miles, but no Santa hat SJ - I'm far to bah humbug.

Sounds like a tasty track session OO, even if you ended up the mop. It's months since I've done any track training - I'm quite envious.

• Options

Thumbs up for Christmas day running. Work up an appetite.  We have a bumper crop of sprouts on the allotment so that's dinner sorted image

Thumbs up also for track sessions - nowhere to hide and floodlit/all weather is a bonus in winter.

Gul - is the barber who opens at daft o'clock a relative of yours?

SJ - might do #49 on NYE if work allows. What do you have lined up?  Now I'm officially (also) a cyclist I'd be interested in ideas for not-too-terrifying routes in Cumbria - could be MTB or road. 

• Options

I'll probably be out there for a short run through the woods on Christmas morn. Just enough time to get the oven to the right temperature so that I can stick the turkey in on my return. Am drooling just thinking about it. image

• Options

10 mile plod for me today. I'm sure the speed will return at some point!

• Options
    Hi Poacher, check out Epic Events. There is the rescheduled Cumbria cracker which is a great route from Grasmere down to Cartmel (my neck of the woods) and back (14th Feb) and the Eden Valley Epic (6th March) around Penrith and Appleby. Neither have any crazy climbs and are nice events. They also do the Lakeland Loop although that's a bit more testing.
  • Options
    I'll probably be at the Cracker and the Eden Valley ride and also the Fred (if I get in)image
  • Options

Sooo tired. Priority #1 now that I'm on vaca is to get some sleep!

If I can swing it, will be out Xmas dayimage

Was 60 F here today...unbelievable as we've basically skipped winter so far. Headed to Minnesota tomorrow for a week; will be true winter thereimage Oh well, just bundle up a bit and toughen up for when jack frost returns to VT.

Just saw Bob Mould is coming to the UK in case anyone is a fan.

Happy holidays everyone! Hope you were all good and Santa rewards you;)

• Options

After missing 6 days running due to my op, it's been great to start again fully recharged. I ran 14.5 miles yesterday including 2@ MP and 8 easy this morning followed by some drills. I'll certainly be running on Xmas day including a Parkrun within a 10 miler. Then I plan on a heavy weight session, so I can really enjoy  over eating and drinking guilt free.image

I was very pleasantly surprised this morning when I weighed myself. Despite missing training, and eating too many chocolates and sweets in December I'm only 148 lbs. I'm 6 foot tall and have been 155 lbs earlier in the year.  My lightest ever recorded is 146 lbs, when trying to slim down (pre carbo loading) for a marathon.

My goal of 3000+ miles for the year is very much on, despite now missing almost a months training due to two operations.

Have a great Xmas everyone!

• Options

Go Badbark!!! 3000+ in 11 months is very impressive.
    Managed to slot in a 5 mile run this morning in between all the other last minute jobs.
    Have a great Christmas everyone!

• Options

Welcome back old friends and Happy Christmas everyone.

No running on Christmas day.   I did a treadmill hill session last night and MLR this morning so tomorrow is a rest day.

Abbers- forgot to mention my son (6 yo) met the England 'select' Cricket Team when they played here last week.  He went for cricket practice at the Senwes Stadium and there they all were at the nets prior to the match with SA select.  He got all the autographs.

VTR - I saw Pixies/ Bob Mould in 1989 or thereabouts at Glastonbury and still have a pristine vinyl copy of Doolittle.  Classic stuff

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Merry Christmas, everyone image

I'm out in the morning - meeting running pal 7:45.   

Not in Badbark territory, but 5 just now takes me to 2213 for the year, a mile more than last year, with 7 days to go  . . . .

• Options
    Merry Christmas everybody! image
  • Options

Merry Christmas one and all - hope you and your loved ones have a fantastic day.

Just over 7 miles first thing this morning - back in time to start getting things ready for the fun and mayhem that will ensue later on today as my siblings and their families descend on us!!! image

• Options

Merry Christmas all .image