Sub 3h15

Comments

• Evening all - do I hear the sounds of early taper madness?

Nicko - agree with you about Ashton Ct parkrun. Definitely a guaranteed negative split on that one.

Impressive weekend runs being recorded here - sharpening is the order of the day now.

Glad to see that both G-Dawg and Stevie ended up on 206 miles in March as my race on Sunday took me to 207! Only chance I've got of beating these speedy chaps though.  ;)

SBD - probably a bit late for me now, but what exactly are Newton hills?!

Cranleigh 15/ 21 for me yesterday - a 9 mile loop followed by either one or two of the 6 mile loops. With only 2 weeks to Boston I resisted the temptation to do the 21 miler and decided to go for the 15 mile option with the aim of steady for the first half and picking up the pace in the second. Had a very enjoyable chat with a speedy female clubmate of G-Dawg for a number of miles and go to the 8 mile mark at an average pace of 7:06 before picking it up a bit. Pleased that the average for miles 9-15 were 6:45 with a 6:03 burst for the last 400m. Mission accomplished.

8.7 miles worth of commuting today to kick April off, together with the thought that a week from now I'll have done a Sylvester Stallone impression running up the steps in Philadelphia (on my running bucket list!) and 2 weeks from now, Heartbreak Hill will be a thing of the past. 

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    I wonder who it was you spoke to, Lorenzo, did you get a name?  Nice pace pick-up there, well done.

Bagged 11 miles when I got home last night, so nice to do the majority of a Monday night run in the light. Wasn't sure what pace to do so went with whatever the first mile came out as. First mile was 6.57 so decided to make them all 6.5x. Got them all done and averaged 6.53 with a couple of sharper miles at the end.

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019

Good work at Cranleigh Lorenzo - a sensible decision on the distance and good pace on the final loop.  Newton Hills ( https://www.baa.org/sites/default/files/2019-01/2019_elevation_chart.jpg ) - that's those pesky undulations from Mile 16 to 21 ending at Heartbreak Hill.  For someone that trains on Box Hill they should be no problem!

Hope you enjoyed the experience if not the race Speedy.  London is a different day - all to play for.

10K recovery for me last night - all nice and easy.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo - wise choice at Cranleigh and a speedy run at that.
    GD - cracking 11 miler. I got the VLM date mixed up!
    SBD - remind me not to do Boston, MA. That is unless I move somewhere a bit hillier. 
    Recovery run for me too this morning. 6 miles.
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Lorenzoyep it's a total killer that hill at AC. Good article here on time adjustments for various parkruns based on ascent/descent, surface etc: https://the5krunner.com/2017/11/04/parkrun-difficulty-ratings-adjusted-course-times/. Nice work on pipping Stevie and G-Dawg on the monthly miles; and congrats on a good result at Cranleigh.

G-Dawg - very decent 11 miler. Strong pace.

Went for an easy 5 last night after a horrific sports massage. Intention of staying right at the back of the club progression run. Got caught up a bit as usual and ended up with a couple of sharp miles to average 7:02. Hopefully nothing too negative will come of that. Found the issue with the vaporflys, just a bit of rubbing on the arch. Something I had before in some Nikes and nothing that a compeed in the right place won't fix on race day.

Newton Hills sound like a challenge and a half; a nasty place in the marathon for those undulations. Checking out manchester elevation and there's a big scary spike around halfway on the chart; when I looked into it though it's about 50ft over a mile so hardly even a blip in real life.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    I love the Newton Hills talk.
    I saw a guy from Japan literally stop and run out of batteries on Heartbreak Hill closely followed by another chap who suddenly grabbed his hamstring and gave out a big yelp. Loads of people were walking up it, I was determined to keep going, mainly because if I'd stopped, I doubt I would have started again.
    The crowd were unreal as the encouraged the weary runners.

The course profile shows it's downhill all the way into Boston. Yeah, right! By then you're proper beaten up and the few remaining inclines feel big. Then, in the last mile, there's an underpass to negotiate with a ramp that you just don't need after 25 miles, Great fun!
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    You're not selling it to me G-D!  Manchester sounds much more attractive ...
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Y s I agree SBD but I still plan to be in Boston next year as one I’d like to complete. 
    9 easy miles here. I’m in Keswick for a couple of days so tomorrow’s run could involve hills too.
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    There's must be a special kind of sickness that makes us work hard to just get a chance to apply for an event which we know is going to be horrifically tough!

Very easy intervals session last night 1 x steady 1k on the track and 10 x 200 on the grass. Feeling a bit lethargic but maybe due to the couple of days of no carb. Down to race weight of 74kg though; nice to get a weigh-in before piling on the carbs from tomorrow. Weather still looking good for Sunday.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Nicko, what height are you?

My weight is stuck at the upper end of racing weight and I can't seem to pull it down. Ideally I would shift 3lb and I have 4 weeks to do so, but I have already been saying that for 4 weeks.

Ticking over this week with the emphasis on my week changing a little with the nationals on Saturday. 6 easy Monday then 10 x 2 minutes at 10k-5k pace yesterday. Easy 4 followed by spin later then 14 planned tomorrow. Should still hit 50 milers for week but lacking a proper long run or solid tempo session.

Is there a tracking app for Manchester? If so can people post numbers as I will be stood at mini rugby all morning so can follow easily.

I've read that London final instruction mags will be out by the end of this week. I am not quite sure why the delay as I am seeing on fb lots of first timers getting quite stressed and asking about various build up plans, much of which is set out in that mag.

• nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Pretty much dead on 6ft (182cm) - it's a big change from my 100kg about 6 years ago.

I think there's a tracking app through racetecresults (can't post a link, my reply keeps getting put into moderation)  ; at least that's what they had previously.

I'm #617; they've got a full start list on the website with race numbers which is handy.

Good luck at the Nationals on Saturday, got big hopes for the Bristol and West teams.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Crikey, using a bmi calculator, for me to get a bmi of 22 (which is what yours equates to) I would need to be 66kg. I'm currently 72 and targeting 70 and when I am at that weight there is very little to me. No way I could be 66kg, that's the size of a skinny 18 year old!! I would have to be a stone lighter than I am now. I would need a pretty nasty virus to get there or a really upsetting and personally traumatic life event!

Conditions look bang on for sunday morning, text book perfect based on my race weather criteria. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    nicko - hope you've recovered from the sports massage! Good racing weight. I feel like I'm starting to put on  a few pounds now I'm well into the taper; must try and cut back a bit on the food before the carb-load!
    OO - enjoy the hills in the Lakes :)
    DT - good luck at the nationals and getting your weight down a touch.
    Final MLR for me this morning. 12 miles which turned into a progressive run from 8:48 first mile to a final 6:35 mile. 12 miles suddenly seemed like a long way after cutting back to single digit runs in the taper. Cotton wool time now :)
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    DT - I don't think a slightly lighter week will do you any harm. Good luck in the nationals. I think this is the link for the tracking site. I'm number 1714

https://live.sporthive.com/event/5806

Gul - Excellent 12 miles, when are you planning the final double digit run?

Nicko - Good work on the weight! I'm 70.9kg this morning which is pretty much as light as I get. Looking forward to eating everything in sight tomorrow.

Was going to do 6 x 1min last night as a tune up but abandoned it as it was sleeting and I couldn't feel my hands after 1/2 mile. So did just over 2 mile with some strides. Didn't think it was worth staying out any longer getting wet and cold.
  • 6x800m again today: did 5x800 2 weeks ago (didn't manage the 6th) and then a week ago did the full 6 with slightly dodgy (i.e. overly long) recoveries and today did them with the planned 1 lap jog recovery. Now need to start to get them a bit faster. My short term aim is back to sub-20 for 5k so that is 6:26 pace so 3:13 for 800m and I am at about 3:16 at the moment so in the right ballpark but the wrong side of the line.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019

Sounds sensible given the conditions Stevie.   That's pretty light - how does that compare to Abingdon?

Good final MLR Gul - I have 13 planned for Sunday.

Good work on the weight nicko and good luck in shifting those last 2 Kg DT.  I'm back down to racing weight, 72kg this morning (height 6ft 1), so 1Kg below Brighton 2018 weight and probably as low as I've ever been.  So no excuses on the Newton Hills!

Conditions looking ideal for Manchester. 

10K recovery on the treadmill lunch-time after 13K general aerobic with strides yesterday.  Feeling quick and relaxed yesterday but sluggish today!

Just took delivery of the microwave rice cooker to take with me to Boston.  Looks perfect but will try it out tonight!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Look out for Charlotte Penfold (formerly Moore) at Manchester. She could run well if her Achilles behaves.
    I’ve delayed today’s run due to morning snow in Keswick.
    Goid luck with the weight loss DT. That willl be tough during the taper ;)
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

SBD - I'm only 5ft 8 so that's probably about right. I was 70.3kg this morning which is about 1lb less than Abingdon and the lightest I can ever remember being. I will put some on now carb loading has commenced. The rice cooker sounds like intensive preparation!

PMJ - That's a decent session and It wont be long until you are knocking those out sub 3.13

OO - Hope the snow clears! I'll add Charlotte to my tracker

• nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to a couple of days of delicious carbs now! Especially after feeling so lethargic on yesterday's 4 miler, really was noticeable. Going to take 2 full days off running, just stretch and swim a little; then a couple of miles Saturday morning to get to/from volunteering at PR.

Stevie - have you decided on your target for Sunday?

SBD - that's an impressively low weight for your height - proper runner's physique!

Nice progressive 12 Gul

Going to do something I've never done before and have a couple of pints today as a mate is back from Australia; I've always stayed off alcohol through most of training but this year after Jan/Feb I've been a bit easier on myself. I doubt a couple today will make much difference and I can justify it as hydration + carbs in one delicious package.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Stevie - no sleet or snow here, just a bit of rain. And that MLR was my final double digit run before Boston.
    PMJ - steady progress with the track work.
    SBD - yes, I see P&D has a 13 mile MLR this week, but I felt 12 was enough. I was 11st 5lbs this morning, so as I thought I have put on an extra 2 or 3lbs, but not unduly worried as I'm 6'3" . I'm liking the sound of the microwave rice cooker!
    OO - a better morning for photos rather than running maybe?
    5 mile recovery run this morning.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    x-postenjoy the carb-loading nicko
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Nicko - A couple of beers won't do any harm! I only cut out the alcohol in race week, looking forward to a beer on Sunday! I will speak to my coach tonight but I'm thinking MP is 6.35 so sub 2.53 will probably be the target. Also happens to be New York GFA
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a decent time to target Stevie, gives you that reason to go for it rather than it just being an arbitrary time (also an incredible pace - you're a machine)

I'm going to hang out at the back of Pen A to give me a good chance of being near enough to the sub 3 pace group from pen B and stick with them until 20 where I'll see if I can squeeze out a little extra (would be good to get a gun time of sub 3 for the finish line photo!). So I'm sure you'll pass me quite early on.

Waiting to hear back from my mate about best pub near finish; but I'm thinking the Toll Gate would be a good choice as it's close to the finish & tram stop.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    SBD, that is racing snake weight! wont that cooker be heavy? 

Nicko, i dont bother cutting out booze until the Tuesday before mara day. 

Stevie, i feel better knowing your weight and height! That'll be a good return in the slightly fragmented training your injury caused. 

Gul, nice mlr and recovery. 

Ive booked the morning off work as my daughter has an Easter show then i can get a reduced (14) long run in. Looks like im going to have to dig out all my winter kit again. Wet and cold here. 
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019

Yes, feeling a bit underweight at the moment DT!  I decided the weight wasn't coming down much in mid-February so have been on a no alcohol (apart from Sunday) and no junk food regime since then.  I'm definitely looking forward to a pizza and some beers after Boston!

The Hotel in Boston doesn't have a restaurant but has a microwave - hence the rice cooker!  It's plastic and not very big (17cm by 22cm) but works perfectly!  Should take the risk out of the carbo loading in Boston!

Hope you got the MLR in DT - it was snowing here at 6:30am!

How's the carbo loading going nicko and Stevie? I'm sure a few beers should be fine!

Good recovery miles Gul - go easy on the weight gain!

Intervals for me at lunch-time - 3 sets of 1600m with a 3.5K w/u and 3.5 w/d to give 14K for the day.   The intervals came out at 5:57, 5:55 and 5:52.  I don't think I've managed anything below 6:00 before so quite happy with those!

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    All the best to Stevie and Nicko! Forecast is looking good. Hope you both have a great race.
    DT - still wearing 3 layers here most days, but the weather seems to be warming up finally. We escaped the worst of it here though and have been in shorts all winter.
    SBD - those are some cracking 1 mile reps!  Sounds like everything is coming together nicely. What day do you fly out next week?
    8 steady miles with 12 x 100m strides thrown in for good measure. Brings up 40 miles for the week and that will probably be all as parkrun seems very unlikely tomorrow.
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Gul, yes looking pretty much spot on weather-wise; unlike the past couple of days.

Great reps SBD, any miles that start with a 5 is super rapid in my book.

I forgot how difficult it actually is to try and eat 600g of carbs while not over-doing it on fat/sugar and overall calories - it's a maths challenge.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Nicko - know what you mean about over-eating - I need to cut back on my calorie intake this next week as I seem to be piling the pounds on! Looking ahead to the carb-load, as you do ;), and wondering how I can increase the percentage of carbs and trying to find something to cut out. Skimmed milk in place of semi-skimmed milk to reduce fat; cheese and a bit of fish or a few eggs for the protein - after that I am struggling! 
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Good session and weekly miles GD - it's good to keep the strides going during the taper.

Nicko - I found weighing scales and a spreadsheet help!  This is my carb-loading diary from Friday last spring!

Friday Time What Quantity CHO (g) 900    OJ 300ml 27           Rice 160g 125           Chicken 70g           Tomatato Sauce 150g 5 1040   LS 500ml 32 1100   Raisins 100g 70            Banana 125g 28 1311   Pasta 170g 124           Tomato Sauce 50ml 5           Anchovies 30g           Chicken 30g           LS 500ml 32 1315 Raisins 100g 70          Banana 124g 28          LS 500ml 32 1755 Pasta 125g 91          Tomato Sauce 50ml 5          Anchovies 30g          Chicken 30g         LS 500ml 32 Total 706g

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Oh are you supposed to watch calories as well? I've just been hoovering up every carb in sight!!