Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Top work, Nicko. You seem to be making a habit of sneaking in very good performances! Would you recommend the race? im guessing not from your comments. 

It seems France has banned gatherings of 5000 people or more. Yet Ligue A games seemed to go ahead ok as did top lever french rugby. Be interesting to see what they do with six nations here. Im off to Cardiff for wales v Scotland and bern looking forward to it for months so hope it goes ahead. 

18.5m today. 6m easy as a warm up then 2 blocks of 5m at mp with 1m easy in between and 1.5m cd.  Average pace of the mp blocks was low 6.40s which I'll take at the end of a big 8 days. 

Just enjoying a few beers now for my 1 drinking night of the week, with last weeks pb champagne to follow with dinner. 

Another big week coming up culminating in the Knighton 20 on Sunday. 
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Thats amazing Nicko what a good surprise, sounds like you paced it perfectly. How were conditions?
    I did Trafford 10k, conditions quite windy although better than forecast. My run was a bit below par at 38:27, but a nice negative split and strong finish. I was 3rd v55 in a quality field and and considering 3 races and 55 miles this week it was not too shabby. Best of all I had a great day out with 2 of the OO daughters which was a treat ♥️
  • Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Nicko a brilliant end to a crap week , makes it all worthwhile doesn't it !

DT nice bit of fast mara pace in that run  and yes we need the recoveries but with nightshifts etc and tiredness some days I think its just not worth the effort .

0054 38:27 sounds fairly rapid never mind it being the 3rd race this week and nice to be with the family too........

Weather was grim last night so sacked it , 12x 400m tonight after work with just under 1 min recoveries most were around 1:33 

30 miles for the week and 169 mile for Feb which is a little less than planned but missed 3 days this week .

• Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    That's a decent result OO.

A good long run DT.  Enjoy the beers and the well earned champagne.

Excellent result at Newport nicko - a significant pb - bodes well for Boston. 

The possibility of London being cancelled is looking a lot more likely but i guess they'll not make a decision until closer to the race date.  A place at Manchester or Brighton would have been useful!

Only a 16 mile LSR today at the end of the cut-back week.  The constant stormy weather is really getting me down, so I was tempted to do the run on the treadmill. Sanity prevailed, so hit the cycle trail late afternoon although the wind was still pretty strong and the heavy rain at the 11 mile point didn't help.  Resisted the urge to pick up the pace at the end, so just a steady 7:52 pace for the run.

71 miles for the week and 326 for February.  A big five week block coming up.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Leslie, yes i get that. Im not sure how id do what i do if i had to work shifts. Nice reps and feb mileage. 

oo, pretty solid time in poor conditions and off some fast running this week. 

SBD, yes i was feeling the same today, just like I'm endlessly running into a wind strong enough to mess me about. Nice work on the February total. Like you, a big 6 weeks coming. I am suddenly starting to feel that im in that shape where i can absorb anything and not feel like I've done much. Standard March condition. 

I'm half tempted to enter Newport or Peterborough now just to cover me if London is cancelled. I also see that if you have a gfa you can enter Edinburgh up until very late in the day. 
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Goid points DT, Edinburgh is a good fallback- assuming it goes ahead.
  • Options
    nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    DT - yeah was surprising. Gives me a bit more of a kick to ramp up in the next 6 weeks.

Not sure if I'd recommend it, but only because the course is weird and definitely not fast, so many parts where you can't get a decent rhythm going, and if you're in even a small pack it would be tricky. Apparently the marathon is a better route. Organisation etc were excellent, just not a great course. 

Lots of clubmates with London places have signed up to fallback races that allow full refunds for a small charge, seems like a good idea; need to think about what I will do - maybe the other Boston!
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    DT - good miles for Feb and a cracking start to March.
    Nicko - great stuff! That's a great PB when it wasn't even on your radar. Boston UK is very flat
    and very exposed so just need a calm day!
    OO - certainly not shabby at all! 
    Leslie - nice reps and miles for Feb.
    SBD- that's an awful lot of miles in 29 days. Some big weeks coming up!
    Forgot to say 300 for Feb here. Decided to do the tempo run today. 12 with 7 @ LT. Started off strong (i.e. too fast) and faded of course. AVG of 6:34/m so a bit more work to do yet.
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Quiet on here yesterday!
    Tried out some new shoes this morning. Noticed the difference for sure. Also tried the flipbelt. It's going to take some practice getting stuff out of it on the run i.e. gels. Anyway, 9 easy miles in total plus 30 min swim.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Have you been spending money Gul 😉
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Yes, shocking, isn't it? I bought the shoes on sale for Christmas and then I had some money left on a gift card which I used on the flipbelt 😀
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Gul, that's a pretty decent 7m tempo.

It isn't that hard pulling gels out when it is stuffed with 6 or 7. You can fit 3 or 4 in that very front bit that sits across the middle, then 1 or 2 on the left and right side close to the opening. I've never experienced difficulty.

Easy 4m and very light spin yesterday. Bit of a session tonight then easy miles all week as I have the Knighton 20 on Sunday. Not quite agreed how I will run it yet, probably set off at 7mm, push on a bit at 5m then pick the 2nd half up to mara pace so I end up with around 6.50mm average for the whole thing. It's far enough out from London to perhaps go a bit harder than I would when I've done Ashby later in March.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I sometimes run holding a couple of gels at the start of a mara to reduce the weight and movement in the belt. 
    I'm feeling the effects of last weeks efforts, so will wait and try and evening run. Goid going Gul.
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    DT - good plan for Sunday. I think you're right about the belt full of gels. I only had keys in it today and couldn't find the access points!
    OO - hope you recover well.
    Stay of execution for London at the moment, but it's not looking good. Just plough on for now and we'll see what happens in good time.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Gul, yes, it is much easier to find them when full.

Just noted Stratford upon avon mara is same day as London and entries close on 22nd April. Seems like a reasonable alternative to me. Stratford is about 25m from home.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Hi Gang!

Still on the bench here. Went for a couple of runs at the weekend. was going great guns on Saturday until the knee blew up just before 3 miles, so I bailed out.
    maybe stopping early was a good thing as it seemed to feel better a lot sooner. 
    Went for a 5 miler at a steady 7.00 avg pace on Sunday. Just about got through it but the knee bursa area stiffened again. 
    More ice and exercises the Fizz gave me.
    Rested yesterday and will do a turbo session in the garage tonight. The irony is that my legs feel great right now, but there is no knowing if the knee bursa will flare-up in a run.

If the bike goes OK I'll try another steady 5 miler tomorrow. Fizz is booked for Monday so he can do an ultrasound on the injury to see if there's been progress.

Looks like I'll definitely miss the Surrey Half on Sunday. They sent an email today saying there will be no medals at the end. Recent storms have delayed the delivery.

London Marathon continue to monitor the virus situation. With a predicted up-surge in infections, I have a growing feeling they will postpone it. Paris and Manchester will give some indication of how things are going, especially Paris after they canned the HM at the weekend. 
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I see Crufts is going ahead. Quite an international event. I also heard in a Q&A by Govt. that they consider watching a football match in a pub to be more dangerous than attending an actual match. Following the same logic I suggest the Mara will go ahead but we may have to cancel Chandos after 🤭
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    So cans of Stella in the street rather than Chandos?

I thought I was pretty relaxed about London being cancelled but then I remembered I haven't run there since 2013 and both that run and my earlier effort in 2010 were pretty miserable experiences.  So I will be almost as devastated as Gul if it doesn't go ahead.

Decided to enter Newport as a pre-London back up and have familiarised myself with the Edinburgh GFA entry process.

That's not good on the knee G-D.

Good easy miles DT.  Hopefully good weather for Knighton 20.

That's a good pace on the LT run Gul and good to hear the shoes feel good. A pair of magic shoes for London?

Final Tempo Tuesday until after London.  The plan said 11K but I decided to stick to 10K and see if I could beat the previous times. Started at 3:56 pace and gradually decreased the pace to finish at 3:47, to give 38:40 for the 10K at an average HR of 166.  That's a good few seconds faster than last week and the equivalent session before Abingdon, so happy to end on that.  A couple of miles w/u and w/d to give 11 miles for the day.  Just intervals and races to look forward to now!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    SBD. I was only thinking i need some tempos too.

I have a Brighton place, as well as a vlm place. I cant see vlm taking place. So Brighton might get called off too. Therefore i have entered North Devon marathon too which is a 200ish runners race with about 12ish sub3, so similar to the yeovil mara i did last summer after the wind ruined Brighton. I dont mind smaller countryside races and i need a ROI for the training even though it wont be as fast a course.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    SBD, good tempo there. im surprised you didnt pitch for Stratford mara as based on where i recall you're based that would be easier and same weekend as London.

Gdawg, take it easy on that knee! 

TR, what sort of numbers run Brighton?

Im toying with newport, Stratford and a very small rural mara i found North of Cheltenham described as perfectly flat, albeit it, it is 11 laps and only the top 3 last yearcwent sub 3 ofvthe 50 strong field. It'll at least put me in a race with a possible podium at stake even if i lose pb pace. 

Mixed tempo tonight, 8m of 1 at hmp then 1 steady. Reps came out 6.18, 6.12, 6.09 and 6.12 and the steady miles came out between 7.10 and 7.20. 

Just easy miles now building to a big session sunday at Knighton. 
  • Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    GUL can't beat a new pair or shoes ! Noticed the heels on mine are just going though the upper layer now ,trying to lengthen my stride is doing this I think .
    Gdawg if there are no medals its not even worth turning up anyway they can stick it lol
    SBD cracking tempo but if there is Stella flowing after London there will be a riot soon after .( we call it wreck the house lol) 
    DT nice session that will try it sometime and how nice would a podium place be ...magic !

I can't see a reason to stop London , corana is coming no matter what and London is extremely crowded and busy everyday so it won't make any difference.(imo) Cancelling it would be a shame as I can't see them finding another date this year as this thing is going to ramp for the next few months .
    One good thing is all the small mara's are getting backup entries so it's helping keep them going as I'm sure many are struggling these days . Local half I ran last year got canned this week the latest casualty over here as they can't afford the monies needed for a roadrace under the new regs .

Club session tonight ,I thought it was 800's so did 12x400 on sunday which made it a lot tougher , need to pay attention more it was 200-800m session !

2x200m, 4x400m, 2x800m , 4x400m and 2x200m to finish all with 70 secs static rest.
    200's were about 39 secs , 400's 1:25 and the 800's 3 mins these were all way faster than I usually go .
     4 of us  at the front for the 200's then two fell off as soon as it got longer so just us 2/ different guy this time and was quicker than me on the shorter stuff so I was quite often working at 10 tenths and hanging on ...... 7.5mile in total. 

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - brighton is 12,000. Newport is 6000.......vlm has 45,000 but the thing which might ensure the cancellation is 1,000,000 watching on the streets....if brighton and vlm both get cancelled then at least i get to race at ND, but sub 2.55 would be more of a challenge. Its tricky to decide as we dont know the cancellation criteria.....as it stands im entered into 3 races !

Leslie - vlm might get cancelled as the govt will be under pressure to be seen to act.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Good session, Leslie. A bit of suffering will serve you well!!

TR, they cant cancel bespoke events, it'll need to be govt legislation like in France, which i assume is what you are also saying. I'd say on those Numbers Newport and Brighton would be a casulaty. i need to check Stratford as whilst the mara is small, there's a half at same time which I'm sure has circa 3k runners. 

I note also the estimate that itll peak in 2-3 months so broadly end of April! Manchester may well survive it. i may well end up in the tiny multi lap mara I've found. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - agreed, reports say something along the lines of "legislation will be put in place".
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    What gets me is don't folks usually wash their hands ? Being a runner means you drink so much fluid that you visit the bathroom a lot, i suppose.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Yes, im peeing and washing all day long!

What may save London is that if a virus reaches a certain infection level it is declared too widespread to contain and all measures are lifted. 

News was just saying this last happened with swine flu in 2009 and they declared the same.  As it turned out it was an extremely mild infection. 
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    DT - good tempo/interval session.
    GD - eek! Take care now and maybe take a rest?
    SBD - excellent tempo run. I'm burying my head in the sand and hoping this virus will just go away ;) Not magic shoes. My budget didn't stretch that far.
    Leslie - good work at the club session.
    No backup plan here yet. Schedule says long run of 24 miles this week. So out at silly o'clock this morning. 8@8:41, 6@8:05and 10@7:14. 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

That's some run there, Gul. There is no way I could persuade my body to leave the bed at a silly time with that as the reward!! Though I guess it's nice to be done for the day at a time when most others are still in bed.

11m MLR tonight, got an early finish from work so should be out by 5pm.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Amazing early miles, Gul
    It will be light when you run tonight, DT. makes such a difference.

Managed 45 mins on the turbo trainer in the garage last night. Just did a session to take my HR up to 160-ish for a bit and back down again in a rise and fall type fashion.

Good CV work but very boring and it's not running. Felt like the knee was getting warm on the inside a few times, so eased back and then went hard again. No pain at all getting off the bike or immediately after. Iced it anyway.

Strength exercises are all fine and my legs feel great. Really want to try a steady 5 miler tonight.

• Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Hope the 5 mile test goes OK G-D.

A cracking 24 miler Gul - a good turn of speed for the last 10.  I would be wiped out for the rest of the day after that run!

A good tempo session DT - those paces are looking quite sharp.  Not sure I like the course or depth of field at Shakespeare, although the logistics would be a little easier.  Bit worried Newport entries would close soon so got an entry in with a cancellation option.  Newport, if it went ahead, would be a fast course with a reasonable number of Sub 3 runners and I could do a 2-week taper.  Still time to enter Shakespeare of course!

A good speed workout Leslie - always good to have someone slightly faster to work against.

Some good backup plans there TR.  Sadly I don't have a place at Brighton so no guarantee of good weather!

15 mile MLR late afternoon - conditions pretty miserable with a lot of water on the ground as well as wind and rain.  I had to run on a section of road which had deep puddles on the side closest to the pavement.  On the first run past, I arrived just after a coach had ploughed through the puddles which would have drenched anyone on the pavement from head to foot.  Managed to safely negotiate the stretch on the second and third passes but wasn't so lucky on the final pass when a commercial van managed to give me an early shower.  Fortunately there was only 1K left to run.  No real pace today so just a steady 7:52 m/m average.