Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    AR, you are a brave man! Good on you for giving it a go, I'll have my fingers and other things crossed for you tomorrow. Make sure you celebrate afterwards with a massive pie, I think you will have earned it image
  • Options
    PS I've entered Manchester so I'll see some of you then if all goes to plan - KR, ??

30 miles on the bike today, felt good
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    AR - so funny! Good luck!
  • Options

Hopefully will see you & Minni at some point tomorrow RJ - good luck. You sound like you are a man with a mission. If anyone can go out at 5am and run what you did deserves to reap the results.

Good to see you at least have a lie in on a Saturday Gul!

Sorry to hear of your decision to pull out of Abo SJ - that must be a hard choice to make, but probably a sensible one. Hopefully see you in Manchester!

Good to hear you are out running again Menn even with the sore shoulder & ibuprofen.

AR - enjoy Leicester, the last mile up New Walk is a toughie hill to have at the end of a marathon (same hill as first mile to give you an idea). I normally run the half, so a shame I'm not about to meet up. Take it easy to start with and I hope it all goes to plan for you.

• Options
    Poacher wrote (see)
    Lorenzo what is it that you love so much about P'boro?

Wasn't it Roy Kinnear who was so convincing to try and get everyone to move there?

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Got my 1st job in Peterborough- boring place, I've never been back since

Managed a PW at the parkrun y/day 19:41. I was out on heavy night the previous evening till 1 am and had a bet with a running pal. He bet I wouldn't turn up at the parkrun. I bet I would and would finish in the top 5- the drink talking. Needless to say I lost the bet image.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

14M for me this morning with (a) a bit of a post-concert hangover (very good gig therefore too much Wild Hare) and (b) 5M at MP.  It was supposed to be HMP but I just couldn't quite face it, and frankly MP hungover feels like HMP.

Sorry to hear that, OO, but let's just say that after this morning's efforts I feel your pain.  Literally.

Cyber stalked Speedy's result.  Looks like a slightly tough day at the office but still a very good time.

• Options
    OO lets go. wrote (see)

Managed a PW at the parkrun y/day 19:41. I was out on heavy night the previous evening till 1 am and had a bet with a running pal. He bet I wouldn't turn up at the parkrun. I bet I would and would finish in the top 5- the drink talking. Needless to say I lost the bet image.

Reckon that is a tough bet to loose: after all you turned up and raced and weren't that far off: parkrun is like that, one week somebody wins in 20 and the next week the same runner is back in 20th place. (Statistically you do seem to have finished every week top 5 so maybe the beer was a factor).)

• Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭
    83.34 for me today at the Henley half. Pretty pleased with that for a hilly course and only 18 secs down on my PB.

And I'm still full of a cold, legs struggled on the big hill.
  • Options

I pulled my target off. Just. 69:47 unofficially  and I think a one second negative split. image I'm over the moon as it's been off fairly inconsistent training. Nice to see Minni and KR too.

Poacher/PMJ- I was actually talking about Rob Downs who I mistakenly thought was in the same age category as Poach but is actually a spring chicken and in the V45 category not V50.image

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Nice halves from Moof and RJ.  Take a few easy days to recover, Moof - don't underestimate the effects of a near-pb half marathon when you've got a bad cold.

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Nice one Moof, and even nicer one Jase, once again you have done to perfection what the tin says. Whats the next target? As for Rob D, I had a chat with him afterwards, a quality athlete indeed - WAVA almost 88, not bad for a fella with grey hair.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Well done moof (not bad all considered) and RJ (blimey that's incredible). At least you had a reason to celebrate Joolska, no excuses here.

Managed 14 this morning so 44 for the week. Come on Speedy tell us how you did....

• Options

sorry missed your post earlier Moof. I reckon that's pretty 'shit hot' with a cold. Make sure you recover well though.

Poacher, next target is more than likely London next year. Sub 2:25 has a nice ring to it but I know I am going to have to work even harder than I have before if I'm to get close. Cant wait to get training for it.

Sorry I havent been around here too much recently folks, it's not that I dont love you all just life is rather busy. image

• Options

According to 'Run Pix' I did the first half in 34:57 and the second half in 34:49. Get in there although I will say my previous experience of negative splits have been somewhat more enjoyable. I guess that tail wind the last few miles helped. image

Garmin connect log here. Check out the HR in the last few miles!

• Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭
    RJ- that's an incredible bench mark to break, well done. Did you get first place?

I imagine your life is busy with the little one, its a military operation just trying to get out of the front door.
  • Options

Leicester Marathon - It was never meant to be image. Dejected / disappointed etc, but I'll live to run another day.

Set off on my Sub3 attempt. First 9 miles my dodgy tendons grumbled, but nothing too bad, and I was pleased to be running bang on my pace of 6:45 - 6:50vmin/m Aerobically felt brilliant. Shortly after my legs 'lost all power' and I struggled to keep under 7 min/miles.

For me I have been massively positive over the past 2 and a bit weeks after getting injured and ill. Unfortunately by mile 15 I knew my day was over and passed on my positive thinking to other runners. I had to accept it was about getting around. I know I didn't leave enough time after illness, and the miles started racking up slower than my long runs. Managed a little running, but it felt like I shuffled my way through 20 to 25.

Finished in 3:04:33 . I gave it a shot, but sub 3 is going to be something to aim for in 2013. Its the end of a horrible week, and I keep thinking about the effort I put into training for this.

Also managed to drop my motorbike when I got back to add insult to injury.Bugger positive thinking.image

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Great result, Jase - sub 70 also has a nice ring to it ! 
    Ditto Moof - fine effort on a testing course.
    SJ - feel for you missing Abo . . . .

lovely autumn sunny day today - flagged  the course out for my club's XC, marshalled, then pub buffet

where's Speedy?

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

x-post  -  AR, don't be hard on yourself - an illness such as your recent one is bound to take its toll. You had the nads to keep on keeping on, and you can draw on that fortitude in future attempts

• Options

Moof- that's why my alarm goes off at 5:00am. If it didnt I woudln't be able to train. image

AR sorry to hear about you not being pleased with your run.Dont let it get you down 3:04 is a solid time considering (is it a PB?) the issues recently. And plus, it is only running. In the grand scheme of things, it really doesnt matter that much. If you cant take som epride out of it, forget it, move on and get the next target booked. Anything planned?

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

AR I think 3:04 is impressive given how you felt. It's not actually far off. I went from 3:05 to sub-3 so a 4 minute improvement is not at all unreasonable to improve if you are fully fit.

• Options

Thanks for the comments. I know I'm being tough on myself. My 1st was 3:02 on a bugger of a course, and this was as flat as you like - I'd built my confidence up over the past few weeks and really felt I was in good condition till lurgy/injury  came.  I will take some pride from it after a sleep. Still missing a few kg's of body weight, so will over endulge tonight and start thinking about my first VLM.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

AR: it's pretty hard to avoid the totally gutted feeling when you miss your target, even if the reasons for the result are both obvious and rational.  As you say, sleep on it and take the positives.

Speedy has posted on FB and is ok for result to be shared.  She's pretty gutted after just dipping inside 3.09.  Split on course for 3.05 but looks like the second half was a bit of a grind.  It's pretty darn close to a pb but obviously not what she wanted.

• Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭
    AR- shame you didn't get the time you were after but let's face it after the few weeks you've had, strength in your legs running at full tilt was always going to be a tough grind for 26 miles. Still a great effort though, shows good mental stubborn grit.
  • Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    AR's and Speedy's days show yet again what a cruel thing the mara is...you can give it the lot then it turns round and kicks you in the kidneys. Totally different kettle of fish from shorter races, let's face it anything up to 20m is lightweight middle distance. Got to take the positives and come back for more.
  • Options

SJ - sorry to hear that you've had to pull out of Abo; hope things are back on track very soon.
    AR - very brave attempt. Amazing that you did it at all after the last couple of weeks and a great finishihng time everything considered. Sub3 for sure next time. Take care of yourself now.
    OOlg - never mind, at least you gave it a shot; did the bet specify which parkrun?
    Moof - that's some going, especially full of cold. Well done on a cracking time.
    RJ - just awesome!!! Congratulations on another huge achievement.
    Gutted for Speedy.
    Anyone heard from KR yet?
    6 mile plod for me this morning.

• Options
    NIce one Moof. That's a super half when not 100%

RJ, yeah not bad....

AR, ouch! Was always going to be tough for you bearing on mind what you've been through over the past couple of weeks but you had the guys to give it a go and you weren't too far off. As has been said above, there really is no hiding place at the Mara distance, a bit of a niggle, a bit of under or overtraining, a bit of illness can all be magnified by a factor of 26.2 to turn a race into a real trainwreck so I think you actually did brilliantly to hold it together for a 3:04. Which is probably a good indicator of actually how fit and quick you are. Sure you'll smash 3 when you are healthy. No holidays before your next race!!

Speedy, great result but sounds like a tough day out - hope you are recovering well.

Foot is still sore this morning
  • Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

AR - sorry I don't give you any good wishes as on Friday I assumed you wouldn't be running and haven't read the thread this weekend.  You surprised me by running it.  Very good performance considering.  As other have said, I sure sub3 will be no problem for you on another occasion.

Moof - good result there.  I very much like that course and its got a good feel that race.  The hill at 8miles is a classic.

RJ - astonishing.  I can't even run 1 mile at that pace.  Well done fella.

SJ - go easy there and sorry to hear you're probably out of Abo.  I will also be at Manchester.

My wife had her first day back at work on Saturday so I looked after both kids.  It went well so I celebrated by getting a hangover.  11miles yesterday and hips and thighs still sore but getting better. 

• Options

I was once offered a re-location package when the insurance firm I was working for moved to Peterborough. I decided to go to Uni at Hull instead.

Moof - A great result when not feeling your best, and on a tricky course, too. Good stuff.

Jase - We love you, too. A stratospheric effort from you - even when a bit porky!

AR - I'd say that's a result to be proud of given the circumstances. Just getting round took enormous cojones.

Meanwhile, I did some great off-road running over the w/e, 9 miles on Sat and 10 on Sun. I was particularly pleased with Saturday's progressive effort, over testing terrain and having been chased by sheepdogs and then a bull! I finished with 3M at a decent clip, HMP, probably. I think I'm starting to get myself into the sort of shape where I can actually contemplate starting marathon training in mid-December.