Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options

Ant - also went to Uni at Hull. Good Times.

• Options

Had a good (ish) run in Peterborough and got round in 1.25.40 which was my 2nd fastest half and just 14 seconds off my PB. Can't help feel a bit disappointed though to get so close to a 3 year old PB. I've had a cold for the past 4/5 days and have been dosing up on Sudafed. It did help out but still didn't feel 100%.

I was however please with my pacing and managed to knock out pretty consistent 6.30 miles with the fastet being 6.25 and the slowest 6.38. I think this was helped with the flatness of the course. The race is really great and with 4000+ runners, totally closed roads, a very flat profile it has all the right ingredients. The other good thing was that there were lots of other runners of the same ability, so no big patches of running solo, which I think also helped with the pacing side of things.

I've had a blinding year running this year with 4 x sub 90 minutes halves (1.26.11, 1.26.10, 1.27.43 & 1.25.40) and want to put all the good training to good use - you never know what next year has instore! I'm tempted to have another go at another half this Autumn having got the training behind me - just got to find another flatish course to have a bash at - any ideas?

• Options

Great marathon time there AR, don't be disappointed with that given the past couple of weeks.

Speedy - 3.09.xx is still a brilliant time. It's always tough to hit a PB when all the training has gone to plan and the marathon can be an unpredictable monkey. Llike Poacher says, you've got to look at the positives.

• Options
    Moof- solid half on a hilly course and flu hanging around! Great effort.

RJ- what can I add to above! Awesome half and this must have put you on the podium if not first? The stuff that's dreams are made of for us mortals

AR- hats off and total respect for achieving that time under the circumstances. Most would have pulled out or thrown the towel in. You are made of stern stuff! I would bite your hand off twice for a time like that next week. A substantial sub 3 is a matter of when not if.

KR- another impressive solid half and some nice consistency in that series of halfs. Too late for Cardiff?

My preparations have continued fairly smoothly and last week of taper. I perhaps pushed a little too hard in yesterday's 13 but was keen to maintain a bit of intensity. I did however scare myself a wee bit last night by locating a garmin connect profile of my marathon course next week. (Dartmoor vale). I was fully aware that there is a biggish hill at mile 6 ( and 18, 2 lap course), but was horrified to see it on the elevation graph. Ran it through the garmin player and its 0.7 miles long and rises 250 feet or so. I've incorporated a similar hill into most of my long and medium runs but it's worrying me now and I'm wondering whether I should have been building this one twice into the 20 mile plus runs. Too late now. I revamped my plan last night and have a strategy for a sub 3.10 target now with a contingency of sub 3.15. A few weeks ago I thought I would getter closer to 3. All my training has been done on sub 3 pace. The hills are giving me self doubt and the tough days people have endured above on the back of more experience and training than myself.
  • Options

KR - good going at Peterborough. I can sense your frustration at coming so near and yet so far. PB next time!

• Options

DM - not be too over anxious about that hill; after all, as you say, you have been including a hill in your MLRs and LSRs. Just keep an even effort, stick to your target pace and see what comes out on the day. You might be surprised!

• Options
    GD- thanks I needed soothing and reassuring! image
  • Options
    C'mon DM, it's only a little hill! Just get your arse up it without burning too much fuel and enjoy the downhill - it will probably be a relief to get to use your legs a bit differently by then. Just don't sprint up it and don't try to make up any lost time too quickly, plenty of time to claw a bit back here and there.
  • Options
    Well done KR! You are becoming Mr HM consistency. You should have plenty of speed in your legs come April...,
  • Options
    If hills are so much fun why do so many plump for Abo? image)

Checked out garmin connect profile and it must be flattest around?

If anyone has time check out Eden project in Cornwall. Rises to 1000 feet and total 2300 feet gain on whole run.
  • Options

DM: I had a total elevation of approx 2800ft up, 2800ft down on my first Marathon in June - run in 3:02 - I am still so proud of that. That added to yesterdays disappointment on a flat course.        I like hills!

• Options

Reverse Order review;

Dylan Man - Dont fret on it, you have your contingency already set out so give it a bash.

KR - Another nice half there.

AR - Its only a matter of time till all aspects come together at the same time and sub 3 will be there,

Moof - Impressive given not at 100% fitness

RJ - add my congrats to those you already have and deserve

Speedy well done and we look forward to your report!

Another 25min run under my belt and am now starting to think about increasing these little jogs to something a little more structured. image

• Options
    Just a quickie -awesome half RJ. Great to see your ongoing commitment to improve

Cracking half from KR great stuff from Moof

AR. As has been said any little element below 100per cent will find you out. Don't bet yourself up at all. Some would say youbshouldn't have run at all post bug!

All calm up here pre Abo. Staying away from snotty people and other stresses
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I like hills too, just not great for PB's.

• Options

Blimey, you lot are impatient! I was in a foreign country with no internet access other than on my phone. It cost me £1.52 to go online for 2 minutes to post my time on Facebook!

I'll write a report at some point in time, but the short version is I was struggling with the breathing as early as 10k, working way too hard at half way, hanging in there for a tiny PB but couldn't find my drink at the 32km drinks station, had to stop to find it, legs then wouldn't cooperate and Lucozade was so warm I couldn't drink it. Then had to wait another few km before the next water station. Water was in cups so hadn't drunk more than a sip at a couple of stations in the mid-section. Desperately thirsty I had to stop at every drinks station from then on to walk and drink. I could barely see straight and mile 25 was nearly 8 minutes. It was more about getting to the finish without passing out than anything else. 3.09.36 officially, and 27th lady out of 1163. After downing three cups of water I had to lie down for a good ten minutes afterwards and wait for the world to stop spinning. I did, however, manage this on my own. First lady (2.30.xx) was carted off on a stretcher. 

• Options

Speedy - Sorry you're disappointed. Sadly, you know by now that the marathon doesn't respect the effort and sacrifices put in over the previous weeks and months, and when things aren't happening, they're just not happening. I'm sure on reflection you'll be able to draw plenty of positives from this, and use the great shape your training has undoubtedly got you into to move on, stronger and wiser.

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Speedy - sorry it didn't go your way. image  I'm tempted to say that's still an awesome time (and in fact I just did) but I know its not what you wanted or what you're capable of.  

Same to AR but I have to say that is a very impressive time after what you went through in the lead up to it!

Caught up with Rase Jase at the start of GER yesterday - well done again RJ.  You still up there as my number one running hero!  Sorry I missed KR but a great time from you too. 

I managed to match my pb again. 1:32 odd.  I found the course a bit too flat if I'm honest but its still a great run and will probably be back next year.

Poacher - shame you're not going to be at the TM in a couple of weeks.

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Speedy as Ant says sometimes it just doesn't happen, but getting a(nother?) sub 3.10 ticked off is a good brick in the wall. You could count it as a quality LFR. Whatever the case, it's stg to build on. Maybe the travelling abroad thing combined with feeling ropey was a bit much.

KR - Mr Consistency, very nice. After hitting that level so reliably you are due a quicker one, probably v soon.

Minni, I'm sorry too but there are good reasons. If you see Jim Manford do say congrats, it's due to be his 200th mara. MrsP & I were working in Belford last week, must be just down the road from you - cold and viciously windswept, wouldn't fancy training round there.

So, six days to Abo....wonder what the weekend will bring.
  • Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭
    KR- well done on your half, I did think with all the fast times you've been running lately you would be posting a new PB (sub 85?).

I think the Gosport half (Hampshire) on the 18th Nov. is pretty flat, although maybe a little far for you.

I would have given it a go myself but its my sons 7th birthday.
  • Options

Mennania - good to hear things are progressing well. Steady as she goes...
    FW - yes, stay away from that nasty lurgy please.
    Speedy - 3:09 is pretty amazing then after what sounds like a rough day; well done. There's much more still to come, I'm sure. Sorry it wasn't to be on Sunday.
    Minni - Well done on eqaulling your PB. You said that you found the course a bit too flat? Interesting comment. Do you mean you just didn't like it or your legs aren't used it to it?!!
    8 mile general aerobic for me this morning with half a dozen strides. Very enjoyable, even if it was a bit wet and windy.

• Options

KR - As Moof says, sub 85 can't be very far away for you.

I had a total nightmatre this morning. I took my running stuff to work in a big bag, intending to don it and dash off for a 7-8-miler straight out of the factory gates. Unfortunately, as I discovered when I came out of class, I'd thrown the water bottle in there, too, with the top not screwed on properly...Result? Everything totally soaked, and an evening session to have to be done tonight instead. 

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Speedy - it's tough when you don't quite get what you wanted. No doubt you're reflecting now on the whys & wherefores, but it seems that even at 10K you had indicators. So, the fact you then played the hand you were dealt and still came in with 3:09 shows nowt is lacking in the mental strength area (but we know that anyway). Regroup, and then will it be VLM? 

Good outings noted by Minni & KR (btw, KR, my daughter made her debut at Braunstone parkrun on Sat)

• Options

There were a few reasons/excuses I think. I suspect I wasn't totally clear of my cold from 4 weeks ago, or maybe some other lurking minor lurgy. I fell asleep on Saturday afternoon despite having slept for ages on both Thursday and Friday nights. That's not normal. Also I'd scoped out the start line and noted that there were only 14 portaloos. For 5000 marathon runners. Bearing that in mind, plus the fact that I've needed to stop for a wee in two previous marathons, I probably didn't drink enough on Saturday or Sunday morning, then of course I didn't drink enough on the course.... Also a few weeks ago I had a very clunky run and thereafter suffered issues with my right hip, adductor, abductor and hamstring insertion, and that was giving me gip too. I was seriously limping afterwards.

I'd like to do another international marathon, or maybe a half, but not going for a time. I'd like to make more of a holiday of it and just enjoy the day out. I LOVED my post race meal in the hotel restaurant. It was a plate of Germanness: Roast pork with a big potato dumpling and local style cabbage with dark beer sauce. Bloody lovely. 

I tell you something, German runners are proper nesh. I ran in shorts and vest, which, as we've previously established, is the correct racing attire for autumn. Most of the Germans wore T-shirts, lots wore long sleeve tops and one bloke who passed me at 10k (I passed him at 25k) was wearing long tights, a long sleeve top, a gilet AND a hat. A winter hat as well, not a cap. Freak. 

• Options

Speedy - Stirling effort given the obstacles that you overcome. Its not for the fainthearted this marathon stuff.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Speedy, also tempted to say that feeling dizzy and thirsty are things you can easily fix, rather than your legs packing in which is more common and difficult to address. Well done anyway.

• Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Speedy, well done on what is still a good time although not what you were after. I suppose PB attempts should be left to more local events, I guess air travel, foreign food and drink can all have a detrimental effect.

And the muppet who designed plastic cups for drinking out of needs a good talking to, I didn't bother with any drinks during Sundays half as they always leave me gasping for air and slow me down.
  • Options

Poacher - crazy 3 in the morning posting time. You've either not gone to bed/ can't get to sleep/just abou to go for a Gulesque early run? I thought I was due a PB too but seem to be stuck at the same kind of plateau. I'd hoped with my improved shorter speeds that it would translate to a half time. But like Speedy, there can be off days and lurgies can sometimes linger. Might have got away with a 10k but a bit longer was too much to ask.

Got an easy week this week, then off to Holland for a week, so will see where I'm at when I get back?

Speedy, it's always easier for a bloke to find a wall etc to pee at the start without having to queue for a portaloo, so know it must be a fine balance on fluid intake prior to the start for women. I did see in Paris an ingenious idea which involved a big cardboard box with the top & bottom open. The lady in question was in the middle of the said box crocuhing between 2 cars and having a wee in her own disposable portaloo!

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    KR - what's the point of the box? I'm not shy and if I needed a wee I'd have one between the cars without the box!

Poacher - will definitely see Jim. Quite an achievement 200 marathons. Belford is literally over the moor from me. You must give me a shout for a run sometime when you're up here. Or coffee. Or beer! image

Gul - I'm not used to running on such flat roads and I do like the odd hill! Not many though and not too steep!
  • Options

RJ Excessively fast as always

Minni Nice one equaling in the PB, despite not liking the course

Very pacey HMs from KR and MOOF

Speedy As others have said and you know yourself, that is the frustrating (but equally great when it all comes together) aspect of the marathon. The positives are all still there and we all learn and progress.

AR Absolutely amazing performance. Whilst I understand your frustration, when you look back to will realise how stunning what you did on Sunday actually was.

I have stated previously I quite like an occasional, short, sharp shock of a hill during a marathon, as it helps focus the mind away from the pain. When I got my mara PB, my quickest mile was mile 20, the last 600m of which were uphill.

Went to a proper sports physio yesterday, as despite not running the right calf niggle won't go away. Some minor scar tissue, which he attempted to break up/remove(?). Pain was not fun at all. Also gave me a couple of aggressive calf stretches. I was planning on running today, but will have another day off to get over the assault of yesterday. Hopefully out tomorrow niggle free.

• Options
    Speedy. Sounds like some pretty convincing factors explaining things there. I always feel funny after (even short) plane flights. Time to chillax sista. Oh- she wee anyone???

Nice half slipped in from you too Minni. How's work on the RJ shrine coming alongimage