Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Coming along nicely Fraser! image

• Options

Just paid my VLM entry fee online. I'm liking the new champs entry system, even if it did take months to go live. No faffing with posting stuff out and worrying about it going missing!

• Options

Bah - now of course I'm regretting not entering VLM.

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Told you Ant!

Speedy good to see you're getting your next marathon sorted.

• Options

Easy to solve Ant, just pop out and run a sub 2.45 in the next couple of months and enter via a UK address. Sorted. image Or get one of those package holiday deals. I picked up a brochure in Munich for those and our very own purple Martin was pictured on the page for VLM. 

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Ant.. re. the wet gear.. I'm ashamed of you for not entering a virtual wet t-shirt competition.  Simply don wet gear, run a few miles & folks will think you have just run through a downpour of the 'heavens opened' variety.  What's a pair of sore nipples between friends?

• Options

Minni, Speedy - I might just manage a 2:45 half...No, actually that was just a pang of regret - I may do a Spring and Autumn marathon in 2013 and come back triumphantly to VLM in 2014.

Wardi - Yes,why on Earth didn't I think of that? The only flaw is that where I go there are no "folks" to see me...anyway, did a cheek 5 miles home from work last night, so no (major) harm done.

• Options

Ant - At least it was only water.
    Birch - I presume you're now awaiting a date for your op?
    Speedy - at least you found some consolation in the post-race meal image I think I've heard someone say nesh before I couldn't have told you what it means. You learn something new every day...
    Minni - I often whinge about not having any proper hills to train on and worry about encountering them in races but I've never thought of it the other way round before. They're lovevly for walking and enjoying the view, but I'm not convinced about running up and down them! Good resistance training though.
    SD - I'm sure the pain will be worth it.
    Another wet and windy day here and a 3 mile recovery run done and dusted. I gratefully accepted these words of encouragement from a passing cyclist: "You must have a ****ing screw loose!"

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I assumed it was a typo for nosh....

• Options
    According to that infallible source, Wikipedia, Nesh is an English dialect adjective meaning unusually susceptible to cold weather and there is no synonym for this use
  • Options

OOlg - sorry, I was bit slow there - that was a joke, wasn't it? It's a bit early in the morning for meimage

• Options

Me again. Does anyone else keep getting the annoying survey pop-up today? It keeps coming back even though I've done the survey just to try and get rid of it! I suppose I could just change my settings to block pop-ups...

• Options

Congratulations to Moof, KR and RJ, some very impressive times. Sub 70 mins is just a different sport really to what I'm dealing with.

Sorry that AR and Speedys marathons didnt go to plan, but still both ran very impressive times given unfavorable days and lots of positives to build on.

I have been a bit under the weather of late, and its getting me down. I felt a little snotty (for want of a better word) at times at the tail end of last week, but runs were fine- in fact quite pleased with a pretty easy 1.42 half inc 3M @ MP on Sunday, then Monday rest, Tuesdays 7 mile recovery the HR was elevated, but it was very windy too, so I don't know what can be attributed to that.

Then today I wake up feeling OK, check my RHR and it 10-15bpm up, I think a lot of that is probably white coat syndrom as I stress myself out while checking, but its very disappointing. I decided to miss todays 7M w/ 2@MP. But I dont know what to do.....

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Yes, tks, Gul - I await the letter  . . .
    "Nesh" - common adjective around here - eg "you nesh t**t" to anyone wearing leggings if temp above 0C ! 
    Hills - no avoiding them here . . . . .

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I was a bit nesh last night- hat and gloves as well as tights.

• Options

JD3 - probably worth taking a couple of days break or just do enough to keep ticking over. Are you tapering at the moment? Could be taper madness kicking in.
    OOlg - hat, gloves and tights!!! That's proper nesh. I will confess to having dug out my gloves from the back of my running drawer this week, but the fluorescent leggings are not seeing the light of day (or the artificial light in my house) yet. Then again, it's probably a few degrees warmer down here.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Yes it was cold up here Gul, plus the chill factor off the sea.

• Options

First run in 12 days. I decided to be sensible and only ran 5 miles but at a too quick 7:44mm pace. All nice and comfortable. No pain whatsoever in the calf, but a slight niggle in my right groin. I have never had a niggle there before, but take it as a positive as I am stretching my right calf and trying to turn my leg out slightly as my foot rolls in, so also stretching the groin (if that makes sense).

• Options

I learnt the word Nesh when I moved to the Midlands. It's a handy word. Under normal circumstances it describes me to a T. 

• Options
    And to clear up the 'nosh' (not 'nash')

Growing up in the East Midlands, 'nosh' was called 'snap'. I'm back on my snap this week.
  • Options

Hey, hang on - isn't your "snap" the packed lunch you take to eat on the job? That's how D.H. Lawrence used it, I'm sure.

• Options

Be careful who you ask for a nosh uphere in N Wales also-ran - You might get something completely different than you bargained for.image Nesh is the same as starved or perished ie unusually cold or really hungry. I am usually one or the other too speedy.

Did half an hour last night - am turning into one of those showy b@rst*rdsimage

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Nosh has that meaning here too, Menna
    Snap - Ant's definition is correct here - eg today my snap (at meal break) was a chicken & lettuce sarnie, with 2 tomatoes, orange and apple.
    Nesh - also used as a verb occasionally - "to nesh" - often in football context; eg
    "he neshed it", to describe pulling out of a tackle for fear of being hurt.

• Options

Menna/Birch - Down in leafy Surrey we prefer(red) to use the phrasal verb "to nosh off".

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Snap is a word associated with miners, men used snap tins to stop the rats eating their sarnies. It's called "bait" in the north east. This feels like one of those odd taper conversations.

Anyway I will nail colours to the mast - hard to predict a time for Abo on Sunday, will see what it feels like on the day but it will be stg like 2.59 - 3.14, anyone else got a target?
  • Options

For you? Yes, 2:58:59. And yes, that's the context in which I first heard the word 'snap': in Orwell's 'Road to Wigan Pier'.

• Options

Mennania - nice steady progress.
    And it's just plain ol' grub round these parts. No such thing as nesh or snap, I'm afraid.
    Set out in light rain for a steady run this morning. I've finally found a 3.5 mile route to my in-laws that keeps to the street lights. It's a bit uncomfortable carrying my younger daughter's music books, but I was really enjoying myself on the way back, at a slightly faster pace as I was no longer encumbered. Then just after 5:45 it absolutely chucked it down and I ran the last 10 mins or so in a deluge. In the words of my French teacher, je me suis trempe jusqu'aux os.

• Options
    Gul Darr wrote (see)

In the words of my French teacher, je me suis trempe jusqu'aux os.

I seem to remeber our French teacher was a man of few words and a good left hook.

• Options

I was referring to "Eric" - he was never short of an anecdote to share with the class and I don't remember him ever raising a hand in anger. Which one did you have in mind?!

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

We used 'scran' for food in the cold north of England and that term is adopted by the Navy as well.  'Nesh' I know well, but as our school's culture was to not wear coats or jumpers even on the coldest days of the year, I grew up being decidedly un-nesh.

Target for Sunday - probably I'll start at around 7:20 pace after a slow first mile and see how I go. Target is to break 3:15 for the first time - it's within my capability so just needs good execution and reasonable weather.  Speedwise, endurancewise and aerobically it is achievable, just my sore hip and thighs are still present.  The fallback target should things go bad is to get the 'B' seeding standard for Comrades, which is sub 3:20