Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

SBD - that's a habit I got into in previous years. Becomes quite hard to break when the weather turns like this. Good idea about train treadmills - ask him to put 3D TV's up as well and you'll feel like your in a race!

Started reading P&D last night. Was surprised at the level of detail in the early chapters. Nothing like anything else I've picked up. Looks like I'm going to be another convert...

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Kier - I cant access that link from my work computer but I'm guessing its something like, 'Let's go round again...'?

DS2 wrote (see)

Started reading P&D last night. Was surprised at the level of detail in the early chapters. Nothing like anything else I've picked up. Looks like I'm going to be another convert...

Sure you didn't pick up your OH's 50 Shades of Grey....

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

I'll have to take your word for the content of 50 Shades Minni......

I once did 36k on a treadmill at the gym when it was snowing outside. I thought it was good mental preparation. Took me 3 hours. The first couple were bearable but it got progressively more difficult. Never ever again. Have similar thoughts about a track marathon. We have a marathon down our way on the local cyclopark beginning of June and I was thinking of running that but 17 laps!!!! Apparently they give you a band to take off as you pass go - seems a good way of keeping track.

• Options

My OH bought me 50 shades a while back. Biggest pile of c**p I've ever read.

Minni - Close about the track...it's Dead or Alive (You spin me round) image

• Options
    All this talk of track marathons and treadmills is making me feel very sleepy.........

There's no such thing as bad weather just bad clothing/equipment! I was looking back through my training journal last winter and one particular run labeled as "bamby on ice" Nuff said! When it's Icey or snowing I head to the fields!

I took delivery of my Silva Trail runner plus head torch yesterday so looking forward to a run through the woods and fields tonight. I tried it out to bring the washing in from the garden last night as the bulbs gone in the external floodlight. Wow it's seriously bright. On full beam I reckon it will dazzle pedestrians.

Looking forward to starting PD 55 to 70 on Monday 26th November and is great as Mondays are rest days. I'm going to stick to the same plan as the last campaign but work paces back from a faster MP and reassess after first two MP runs. Not sure if I'm ready for the all out assault on sub 3 but will aim to get close to 3 with luck.
  • Options
    LB70LB70 ✭✭✭
    Hi Karen, fantastic time at Comrades - any chance I could borrow some of that endurance in April?

Dylan, which marathon are you doing with the plan starting in Nov?
  • Options
    LB70- slight re-schedule 1st week of December. Taunton 7th April . Only 45,mins drive so get to sleep in own bed which helps with prep. Currently on a recovery from marathon 21st October.
  • Options
    LB70LB70 ✭✭✭
    What's Taunton like? Not tempted as it's got to be VLM for me, just interested

I'm just getting back into quicker stuff after resting following a marathon on the 7th Oct, and have a XC race on Saturday
  • Options
    Small field 300ish. Part of half marathon which is about 1500, so decent size and well supported. Course is flattish to undulating. One biggish hill but not too bad. Probably not what you would describe as a PB course. Standard is pretty decent. Would take a good sub 2.40 to be win it!

How long did you rest for? I'm itching to get cracking again. New park run near me and desperate to get a good 5k PB which is missing from portfolio!
  • Options

Right, I just got back and I've skim read but really, you lot talk too much! I can remember a few things - a win for Poacher, nice one! A PB for Sal, fabulous! And a prize for OO - marvellous! 

I have run all of 3 miles in the past week and I've eaten and drunk all sorts of things I shouldn't in far too large quantities. Back on it tomorrow I suppose. I have a list somewhere of the races I need to enter for the VLM run up, must dig that out and start parting with cash soon. 

Oh, and weekly mileage up to 82, most weeks more like 70 - 75 though. It may take a while to build back up to that from here though image

• Options
    LB70LB70 ✭✭✭
    I had two weeks of no running, then one week of short easy runs, I then increased these a bit in the following week, with a couple of minor sessions. This week will have a couple of harder sessions (yesterday 6 mins at tempo, then two mins jog rec, then 5x4 mins at 5k pace with 90 sec jog recs) and 45 mins tomorrow with the last 20 at tempo, ahead of Saturday's XC
  • Options

Sorry to say I don't think I'm going to get a chance to read back properly; just did a massive skim read.  Apologies to anyone I've missed out, but briefly:
    Great report Bike It. Well done again.
    Likewise Minni.
    Hi to Freemers(fellow East Anglian), DS2, LB70 and Karen.
    Good to see all the planning going on.
    AR - good to see you back running.
    Ant - really hope you see some improvement soon.
    Poacher - congrats on the parkrun win.
    OOlg - great racing for a podium finish.
    Salf - nice PB!
    Sad news from me. On Sunday morning, we thought my father had had a stroke, but turns out his cancer has spread to the brain. Busy supporting mum. Work is going mental (new website live this morning). Still managing to plod the base training. Posting may be sporadic for a while. Oh, it was a really nice holiday on the Llangollen canal. Even did a couple of runs along the towpath. Take care folks.

• Options

Take care of you and yours, Gul.

Welcome back, Speedy.

Welcome, Karen - glad my directions to the thread helped (and v. impressed by the Comrades result!).  There should be a decent sub 3.00 ladies' train from the thread!

Bit of a long workday for me yesterday.  Off to run the 10M into work soon.  It's been a while since I did that route - must be marathon training time. image

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    (((Gul)))

Lots of races being planned. I must dig out the list. Will do it tonight from my home computer.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Very sorry to hear that Gul, hope you can stay strong through the tough times ahead.

Were you on holiday Speedy- didf you forget to take your kit?

• Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Thinking of you Gul. Take care.

• Options
    Best Wishes Gul, sorry to hear your bad news.
  • Options
  • Options

Gul - so sorry to hear your news. Take care x

• Options
    Gul, really sorry to hear your news. Take care buddy and best wishes to you and your family....
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Gul - sorry to hear the bad news.  Take care.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Really sorry to hear that, Gul - thoughts with you  . . . .

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Gul - very sorry to hear your sad news. Take care of yourself as well as those around you.

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Base building continued this morning. Did 9.25 miles at 7:56 average. Felt pretty comfortable throughout and stronger at end than last week. I'm treating this as a MLR at the moment. Can I have words of wisdom please?

Previously I think I have run most of my training runs at too fast a pace. If I'm aiming to get around in 3:15 or less at what pace should I be running these midweek MLR's. I don't feel they take much out of me and, despite my age, I seem to recover well but I get the feeling I should be running a bit slower. I'd sooner not because I don't enjoy plodding much.

Have just started reading P&D, but not enough to know if I'm doing anything right or wrong. All advice gratefully received!!!

• Options

Gul - Sorry to hear your news. Thoughts are with you and yours.

• Options

DS2 -See attached from PnD regarding long runs

/members/images/594412/Gallery/Capture_1.PNG

It suggest warm up and first part at slower pace building up to quicker pace at the end.

I assume it holds true for MLRs also.

Managed to grab an hour (7.5 miles) around Chester last night including 1 lap around the Roodee racecourse which measured 1 mile.Building a new facility there so will probably get to see a lot of the course over the next 4 months or so..

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Mennania - thanks. I did read this last night which made me think I might be running too hard. I think the pace I tend to run my long runs at equates more to 7:00mm target marathon pace. What would you consider a MLR to be in terms of distance?

• Options

Gul  Thats tragic news all the very best to you and your family at this sad time.

Oh good more new folk...welcome to the thread.

DS2  does sound like your MLR and Slow LR are a bit on the quick side and Mennania is spot on with his advice.MLR can be between 9m-16m i think.

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

efc-col - Yes, I suspected as much. I hate running slower than 8:15mm, but guess for my own good I'm going to have to be more disciplined. The answer is obviously to improve so much that I can run around in under 3 hours!!!image

My real problem is that I'm living in the past and believing I'm better than I am. Time to get real me thinks!

Ok - so my 9.25 mile loop just about qualifies as a shorter MLR.

• Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear your sad news Gul, best wishes to you and your family.