Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

They all count Martin.

Lots of good LSRs and XC performances being posted (do you get the County vest for free Speedy?).

Despite clams of Friday being the new Sunday, I feel LSRs should still be run on a Sunday.  And, I would have to agree with Ant/RJ & Blisters that it's far too early to be nailing 20 miles at this stage of the campaign - I'm planning to peak on 21 April so plenty of time for the 20+ mile runs.

So a steady 16 miles for me today at an average 8:00 m/m pace. Had a slight altercation with a cocker spaniel at 13 miles at which point my lack of hurdling technique and general fatigue let me down.   After a nice breaking roll in to the mud bank, managed to get back on to my feet without stopping the Garmin and carried gamely on.  A bit of bruising down the right side but hopefully nothing seriousimage

That gives me 60 miles for the week - so time for a beer I thinkimage

• Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭

What are flamed earlobes OO? Sounds very much like the sort of snack popular with the Popular Judasim Front, or was it the Peoples Popular Front of Judiah? image

Don’t worry SJ – I am not going to be a disciple to the plan. I will play it by how I feel. (Although the idea of a warm-up marathon the day before the main event was mentioned earlier) BTW – Did you lose out be being 1.88 sec too fast? There must have been some very accurate pacing by your competition!

Very nice consistent XCing Speedy.

Still waiting for the ‘after’ picture KR.

I predict an 18 for you next Sunday TR image

In your position Lorenzo, I would go for the up to 70mpw plan, but be very aware how you feel and drop any session to be replaced by a recovery run if you feel you need it.

Ant – do they play football in Spain? Surely you could always compromise just this once? image

DXB – I don’t know what the other weeks of your schedule look like, but if you are just 3 weeks out, I would try to stick to the schedule as much as possible. A 10k hard run won’t be too dissimilar to a race so I’d go for that one. Good luck in the Dubai heat!

Nice work Jools. Sounds like form is coming through nicely. Have you got any different plans r approaches for the sub 3 run this time around?

Nice 20 Scooby and a good 50+ mile. Always good to get the first 20 done.

Good week from you as well RFJ. Are you on a Park Run mission?

Sounds like you are keeping the form bubbling on the back burner Martin.

Nice cocker jumping SBD. But the whole story bothers me. I am sure that there must be some dogging / cock(er) / bush type joke in there somewhere. 

Back to school tomorrow after 2 weeks off. But I am excited about the drive in. I wisely saved Poacher's MT interview for this specific moment and have been looking forward to it for the past few weeks!

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Keir - I just love the parkrun venture... so easy, can run hard / easy / progresive, what ever takes or makes the plan, plus good social side with coffee and breakfast afterwards. Sometimes make it into a long run with a visit to another parkrun.. like on 19th this month a loa of us are going up to Richmond and will be doing the parkrun as part of our LSR as racing a 10k on the Sunday..... plus I want to get my 250 t-shirt ASAP.... and that will take another nearly 18 months as 70 short of that at present...

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Keir - if I get the "me" time then I'll aim for 18, depends upon kick off times and locations.  I started out running in the dark today although admittedly it was only just before 7:30am early but if the fixtures say I need to be in the jam jar for 9am (for an away footy game) then I wont be running at 6am on a Sunday. So it might be 8M instead of 18. Supposed to have a 10K the following Sunday but the fixture list already shows 2 footy games and 2 indoor cricket games. Might have to start alternating Saturday long runs and long bikes, if I start to fall behind on long run totals. Will see how it goes, I'm pretty relaxed about it all, I dont want to be seeing any peaks until the end of April.

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Ouch SBD - not what you want!

All set for Jantasitc folks?   We've managed a large team again this year. image

Good luck and remember its not a competition..... image

• Options
    Hi folks

Can I join the newcomers on here? I've been a lurker on here for a while, and have already learnt loads, but figure I should de-lurk and join in.

I'm training for MK in May, and am planning to loosely follow the P&D 55-70 plan, after a 6 week pre-base building period from mid November where I did 50mpw, all easy running.

Current PBs are 19:24 for 5k, 40:40 for 10k, 68:24 for 10m, and 1hr 34 for a half (I reckon this is soft now as it was Feb 12)

My aim for MK is really just to run a decent controlled marathon, but if I'm honest in the back of my mind I'd like to be as close to 3:15 as poss, subject to how my training goes.

That's probably enough as an intro....
  • Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Hi all and welcome to the new peeps and older lot.

PC has finally packed up after grumbling for the last few weeks, plus work has banned any mobile browsing which is just not on. Skiving at work is a right the unions fought hard for.

So anyway, I've had a thorough read back. (I've read Guls posts).

Belated happy birthday to OO, hope you've booked yourself a couple of races to grab some MV50 trophies, whilst you have fresh legs at 50.

Some decent long runs being posted, 20's already! Very keen.

Keir- I'm enjoying your thread, tough looking schedule though. I would join in if I had anything remotely interesting and/or intelligent to ask. I'll leave it to the people who seem to know what they are talking about. Great mentor btw and some good ideas on increasing the intensity of the last few miles of a long run with some HMP/ 10k plus paces. May give that one a go.

16 miles for me today, all off road, xc and mountain bike trails at an average 8MM pace. Tough on the legs as I don't do that too often but great fun.

59 miles for the week and going ok.

Keep up the great training folks. (But don't get too carried away.)
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Hello YP!

Who is the keeper of the list these days?  Does anyone know where it is?  I seem to remember Poacher saying he'd look after it.....?

• Options

Hello Young Pup from an Old Turk and welcome aboard.

SBD ... wrote (see)

Despite clams of Friday being the new Sunday, I feel LSRs should still be run on a Sunday.  And, I would have to agree with Ant/RJ & Blisters that it's far too early to be nailing 20 miles at this stage of the campaign - I'm planning to peak on 21 April so plenty of time for the 20+ mile runs.

SBD, not me mate. I always kicked off my London campaign with a 20 miler on Boxing Day. It always felt like shit, but got the worst (first) one out of the way.

Minni, you know that you really, really, really want to scroll back a thousand pages and find some list. Unless you just want to kick off a shiny new one for 2013.

Tell you what, in admittance that I should now start a taper (from what, I ask?) here's the start of a new list:

Jan 20: Blisters: Gloucester: Target 3:28.

• Options

Minni - I don't know about you, but I'm feeling a bit Jantasticked-out already. They've plugged it so much I can't help thinking Adidas have hijacked that programme and have Tom and Mike by the balls.

Blisters - If I knew I was going to do 20 miles on Boxing Day it'd ruin my Christmas. Fair play to you.

Keir - All right, all right - I'll pick Spain, then. Now, do I have Sr. Del Bosque on speed dial?

Welcome, YP and Dxb.

• Options

Minni - That said, me and TCCSTFT are going to kick your scrawny a**e, in a non-competitive way, of course.

And I meant Tom and Martin, btw.

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Recovery Runs - it not a run that you need to do to recover from a previous run - if it was you'd be quite right to ditch it and have a rest instead.

A recovery run is one you do  when you are already tired.  In this way you get recruitment of new muscle fibres as the ones you normally use are on holiday and too tired to do anything.  This is essential to improve the running economy.

I really believe that it is the run you do when you are already tired that have the most benifit.  For example, a 7/8m with 5m tempo followed by a MLR the next day is one of the best to improve economy.  If you are so tired that you can only do a short run then go ahead and it will improve your economy.

Drinking is finishing tonight - simultaneous drinking cider and Captain Morgan and Coke as a last goodbye.  Next alcohol at Pietermaritzburg cricket stadium on 2nd June.

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    That's the first time my arse had ever been called scrawny!

I wouldn't bank in it Ant - I've just given the team lecture demanding 110% commitment from everyone.

Of course it's all just a bit if fun at the end if the day...image
  • Options

New shoes have definately been worn in, although I did side step a few rather muddy patches. No photos I'm afraid as we had people round for dinner tonight and I had to clena them (and a few other things) up before guests arrived. 14 miles of XC done in an aveage of about 8.10 pace and enjoyed it all. 36 miles for the week and feeling ready for marathon training starting tomorrow.

Ant - the good thing about the Salomons is that feel more sturdy. It feels like there is more cushioning in there too.

Great link Minni on recovery runs. Luckily my mara training starts tomorrow with a recvoery run!

Well done on the XC Jools.

Cheeky exyended LSR run Scooby - bet you had a grin at the end.

That's a big weekly mileage so soon into the year SBD. I think that will probably be my peak? Although reading that link Minni posted the recovery run is a good way of upping the tally.

• Options
    Evening Peeps,

Good running Jools, and some good long runs by others too - I can't believe some of you are up to 20 already! And well done on the county vest Speedy

Just a 13.5m for me today, pace wasn't quick at 8:40 but I think that reflects the hilly nature of the route and the relatively early morning (for me anyway) so not too fussed at this stage - if I'm still performing like this in a few weeks then I'll need to re-evaluate but at this stage it's all just miles in the bank.

The 13.5 brings up 45 for the week so not too shabby.

Lorenzo - from memory I remember I found that a lot of single longer runs in the P&D that gave my legs a battering and the worst thing I could think of was heading ut for a "measly" 5m recovery but I forced myself and always felt better for it after than when I skipped them. But hey, P&D55 took over 30mins off my PB so can't really fault their plans...
  • Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

I think this is the most recent list.  If anyone knows different, do update

Jan 12 - Poacher - Country to Capital 45 - TBA
    Jan 20 - efc-Col- Four villages half - sub 82
    Jan 20 - Minni - Brass Monkey - sub 90   OO- sub 80??
    Jan 20 - Blisters - Gloucester mara - 3:28 (Don't mock)
    Feb 10 - Moof - Wokingham HM - sub 83; Jools tbc , Also-ran sub 84, PMJ same or better than this year 79:34
    Feb 17 - Also-ran - Bramley 20 - PMP+10s
    Mar 3 - Dylan man - Bath half - sub 1.22; Jools sub 85 (mebbe)
    Mar 10 - Minni - Northumberland HM - sub. 1:31
    Mar 17 - Moof - Reading HM - sub Wokingham
    Mar 17 - Also-ran - Reading HM - sub 1:22
    Mar 17 - Lunchtime - Reading HM - sub 1:30; Jools PMP
    Mar 24 - Ant - Maratón de Asturias (MaraNalón) - sub 3:10
    Mar 25 - CC2 - Loughborough HM - sub 86
    April 7 - Dylan man - Taunton marathon (prov) - sub 3.10
    April 21 - Poacher + Keir - VLM - TBC
    April 21 - efc-Col - VLM - sub 2:57
    April 21 - Moof + Jools+ OO??+ Also-ran - VLM - sub 3
    April 21 - CC2 - VLM - sub 3.05
    April 21 - Lorenzo - VLM - sub 3:10
    April 21 - SBD + Minni + LB70 - VLM - sub 3:15
    April 21 - Freemers - VLM - sub 3.20
    April 28 - Slokey Joe - Manchester - sub 3:00
    April 28 - Knight Rider - Manchester - sub 3:10
    April 28 - Bike It - Manchester - TBC
    May 6 - Lunchtime - Milton Keynes - sub 3:15
    May 12 - DS2 - Halstead - sub 3:15 25 -
    May 25 - Poacher - GUCR - sub 35
    June 2 - Bike It - Comrades - sub 8:30

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Nice miles RFJ, SBD, Moof, Fingers and others. Nice XC Speedy and Joolska.

First and undoubtedly last pot of the year here - the North East Mara Club Grand Prix. Very small and pretty informal event based on aggregate of best 4 mara times of 2012. But they all count, and there does seem to be a lot of empty space in the trophy cabinet.image

Worried about Keir's journey to work, it will end in tears.

6 days on the wagon image

• Options

Here is the weekend summary...image
    OO - very nice parkrun and MLR.
    Martin - good long run.
    Ant - good luck with the stretching.
    Minni - great family parkrun!
    Speedy - congrats! You must be dead chuffed.
    RFJ - excellent double there.
    RJ - wise words.
    TR - that's some base building you did in the autumn.
    SJ - nice blind racing!
    Minni - good long run.
    Jools - congrats on the XC.
    SD - excellent running.
    SBD - more great mileage clocking up.
    Welcome to Dxb and Young Pup.
    Moof - good read back and nice off-road work.
    KR - more good XC running.
    FINgers - building up nicely.
    7 miles for me this morning with 4x600m efforts off 400m recoveries. Average rep pace was 5:54 m/m, so getting slightly more relaxed. Don';t forget to start logging your runs all you Jantastic people.

• Options
    Bike It wrote (see)

Recovery Runs - it not a run that you need to do to recover from a previous run - if it was you'd be quite right to ditch it and have a rest instead.

A recovery run is one you do  when you are already tired.  In this way you get recruitment of new muscle fibres as the ones you normally use are on holiday and too tired to do anything.  This is essential to improve the running economy.

I really believe that it is the run you do when you are already tired that have the most benifit.  For example, a 7/8m with 5m tempo followed by a MLR the next day is one of the best to improve economy.  If you are so tired that you can only do a short run then go ahead and it will improve your economy.

I loosely followd P&D 55-70 last time. During Mesocycle 2 they had Double recovery runs following a Rest/Cross Training day. It may be the terminology they choose to use, but that was one session I did differently. I followed the plan where a recovery run followed on from a key run.

I also preferred to do a recovery run after a long run last time, whereas P&D have the 'feet up' or cross train recovery method

• Options
    BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

I've added myself targetting a sub 3 in VLM

Jan 20 - Minni - Brass Monkey - sub 90   OO- sub 80?? 
    Feb 10 - Moof - Wokingham HM - sub 83; Jools tbc , Also-ran sub 84, PMJ same or better than this year 79:34 
    April 21 - Moof + Jools+ OO??+ Also-ran + Badbark - VLM - sub 3 
    April 21 - SBD + Minni + LB70 - VLM - sub 3:15 

• Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Time for me to update my VLM target ...

Jan 20 - Minni - Brass Monkey - sub 90 OO- sub 80??
    April 21 - SBD - VLM - 2:58
    April 21 - Minni + LB70 - VLM - sub 3:15

• Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Wow. That sub 3 train looks fun ...

April 21 - Poacher VLM - TBC
    April 21 - Keir - VLM - sub 2.50

• Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Badbark - how is your training plan going? Are you finding the lack of non running days an issue or a benefit?

• Options
    BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Keir – Training is going great so far thanks.

I’m up to 65 miles a week and taking a rest day about every 10 to 14 days. I managed a 19 mile LSR with the final 3 at MP on Saturday. 7.5 miles easy yesterday including 8 x 8 second hill sprints, and 6 miles including 4 x 5 mins at 10k pace this morning. I’m niggle free so very happy at this stage. 

I’m really enjoying lurking on your thread by the way!

• Options

Looks like a good bit of training Badbark - going well! What oace did you do the first 16 of your LSR before the last 3 MP miles?

Love the list and everyone's targets. Intersting to see the progression of people and thei targets image.

• Options

I'll add myself quickly and read back later.

April 21 - Poacher VLM - TBC
    April 21 - Martin H+Moof + Jools+ OO??+ Also-ran + Badbark - VLM - sub 3

• Options

Added self to list

Feb 17 - Mennania - Wrexham Half - Sub1.25
    April 21 - Poacher + Mennania VLM - TBC
    April 21 - Martin H+Moof + Jools+ OO??+ Also-ran + Badbark - VLM - sub 3

• Options
    BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    knight rider wrote (see)

Looks like a good bit of training Badbark - going well! What oace did you do the first 16 of your LSR before the last 3 MP miles?

KR – The first 16 were just run easy without much attention to pace. It ended up about 7:45 average which is about MP + 1 min

Over the last 6 months I have been changing from a heel striker to more of a mid/fore foot striker. I’ve adjusted my cadence from about 165 to 180 bpm by listening to a 180 bpm metronome sound on my ipod. Subsequently, due to a running economy improvement my easy pace is now about 7:45 while it used to be about 8:00 for the same HR. 

• Options

Sorry - I seem to have messed spacing up and dont know how to fix!

Had a read back and congrats to Speedy on her County Selection.

A recovery run followed by a 9 miler with a couple at PMP over the weekend. 8 aerobic tonight in the returning rain! Badbark - what did the process of footstrike change involve? I was tinkering with hip alignment trying to get my glutes firing and noticed that this changed my footstrike.

edit for attroshus spelink

• Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Impressive improvement BB. I seems like you have been putting some good thought and research into your running. Those hill strides you put the link to the other day must have helped. Are you also focusing on your posture / arm carriage? That fast finish LSR is a good one to do early in the campaign. How did the MP bit feel?

Menna the space cadet! image