Options

ASICS Super Six: Alex (Sub-4:00)

Comments

• Options
    It was, lovely race if you want to plan early for next year. Very pretty and nice and close to my mum's house, so family support and a proper mother lunch afterwards.
  • Options
    KATE! Congratulations! I knew you could do it - that is amazing, especially given proximity to London and the fact that it was undulating! Now, any ideas/tips as to why you smashed 4 hours so convincingly? Aside from just being a machine?

Back from New Zealand, via Abu Dhabi, this morning. Exhausted! And just remembered I'm racing a 10km this Saturday....
  • Options

Afternoon - well done Kateimageimage

No running for me just helping with yet more DIY.  Got a 5km race on Thursday night, first time in ages for that distance.

• Options

Another long term lurker, joining late and hoping to break a time we're not allowed to talk about later this year.

Started marathon running last year, did Shakespeare, aiming for 3hr 45, blew up big style for 4hr 48. First hot day of the year and it took its toll. Robin Hood last September and skimped a bit on a Furman training programme by not doing some (most) of the cross training to improve by 6mins.

So more focussed on the running this year and have the Mittelrhein marathon at the end of the month with a target of sub 4hr 20, then Frankfurt in October hoping to break the 4hr barrier. Half marathon and 10k times all point to sub 3hrs 45 but I just seem to be better over the shorter distances as it's not transferred to the big one so far.

As for refuelling, I've tried Lucozade and SIS Go gels but have suffered with stomach aches and haven't felt any stronger for taking them. So I'm following the Jaffa cake plan. Used them on my last 3 LSR's and whilst I don't think I've been more sprightly, they certainly taste better. Something to look forward to every 4 miles image

• Options

Thanks Alex and Suze, and hi to SlowRunningMan.

I don't think I'm conventional but what I think helped was a) running a marathon 2 weeks before and not enjoying it as much as usual so this one felt lovely b) the hills help, as they make the flats feel easy and the last naughty one c) going off too fast knowing that I might blow up and drag myself round meaning that I had some spare time at the end.

So, next target is 3.50, but all my marathons are now off road with big old hills so not until 2011!

SRM, how do you transport your Jaffa Cakes, like the idea but I think they're going to get squishy in my back pocket.

• Options

Hi SRM! Your goals sound super sensible and you're likely to surprise yourself by smashing them by quite a bit over the next few runs I reckon!

Also interested in how you carry jaffa cakes. Whenever I think of my next marathon / half marathon, the first dreadful thought that enters my head is... oh NO not more JELLY BEANS GELS and SUGAR STUCK IN MY TEEEEEETH.

Perhaps I'll string apples and bananas around my neck next time?

Kate - sounds good. To be honest I can totally understand what you mean when you say that the hills actually helped. Whenever I came across a (slight) hill or change of terrain on my longest runs / half marathons / 20 miler / that longish Paris run, my legs felt kind of 'relieved' - I think it was just breaking the monotony of pounding over a flat surface over and over. Did my first hill session in a long time last week and really enjoyed that too. Perhaps I should enter the San Fran NIke marathon ballot after all...?

• Options

I do my long runs wearing an Innov8 Race Pro4 waist bag to carry a bladder with fluids in. It also has a couple of pockets which hold quite a bit. I wrap the jaffas in foil and away I go. Not had any problems with meltdowns so far and the foil stops choc getting everywhere, hold the jaffa in a bit of foil, then go from full moon to total eclipse (you'll only understand if you've seen the advert)

I was contemplating the jelly bean/baby option again, but I found it too fiddly last time and very sticky 

• Options

Agreed on the hills, their fine if your use to running on them. I do like the odd hill every now and then as its like a little goal/sense of achievement mid way through a run rather than just at the end.

Alex - ihave joined the foam roller club. Everytime you talked about foam rollers i was thinking of one that you paint with rather than a massive metre long foam club. Started getting knee pains this weekend on my run on saturday. normally i can deispel them by chnaging my running technique but this time it didn't go away so decided to walk the remaining miles home. Don't think its bad and some foam rolling should help.

• Options

Oh Barry, the foam roller will change your life. Make sure you're rolling on your TFL, not your ITB though - it's much more effective. Wikipedia handily offers an image so you can compare the locations: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tensor_fasciae_latae_muscle. Happy rolling!

Rollin' rollin' rollinnnnnn

• Options
    Snacking on a Jaffa cake - through the full stages of the moon cycle - whilst on the roller could make it bearable!
  • Options

morning all

I am also suffering some knee pain....sorry if this is a stupid question but how do you foam roll your knees?....where abouts do you roll? My pain is in the front of the knee rather than the back.

• Options

Hi Marmalade - sorry to hear about the knee pain.

My pain was on the outside of the knee - which apparently means my ITB (which runs down the outside of your thigh) was tight and pulling on the outside of my kneecap, where your ITB joins your knee.

So the idea is that if you have pain on the outside of your knee, you put the foam roller on the floor and roll yourself back and forth on the whole length of the outside of your thigh, which stretches your ITB and eases the pain around your knee. However, Asics physio Sarah told me that the ITB isn't particualrly malleable, so you get much better results trying to stretch the TFL, which is at the top of your ITB - it's much easier to stretch as well as it's a much smaller area. See my link above for where to find it.

This is all for pain on the outside of your knee though -I'm not sure about pain at the front of your knee at all.

Hope this helps!

• Options
    Sounds like you have patellofemoral pain rather than Iliotibial band syndrome where the pain is under the knee cap rather than on the side. i had patellofemoral about 9 weeks ago caused by a pulled muscle in my thigh, after a week or so of rest  the pain in my thigh went and so did my knee troubles. As far asi'm aware  patellofemoral can't be relieved by foam rolling just taking it easy, running on softer surfaces, avoiding banked surfaces, checking that your shoes are ok and some say physiotheraphy to strengthen the muscles around the knee to correct imbalances.
  • Options

On the shoe note, I'm going out in search of non-blue & grey running shoes this weekend! Woohooo!

• Options
    p.s. ran my first run outside since the marathon this morning - 6.5km at marathon pace (I couldn't help it).
  • Options

Did what was meant to be a very slow recovery run yesterday after a 21 mile LSR on Monday. My legs had other ideas though and did 6 miles averaging 8.34m/m. Must have been the weather, lovely sunny day, not too warm and a nice breeze.

• Options

Thanks for the advice. Interestingly i did feel that something was going on in my thigh area as I was walking abit strangely!! nothing major and anyone else wouldn't have noticed but I could tell.

Are you still running Peckham tomorrow Alex?

I will look out for you but I'm sure you will be speeding off at the front. I am running with my OH who only just decided to try this running lark in january and now is in his first race tomorrow. I am soooo proud of him. I am going to run with him to make sure he doesn't go out to quickly and finishes the 10k as this will be a major boost to him.

Hope its not too warm though!!!!

• Options

Welcome back Alex!

Kate - what offroad ones are you doing?

• Options
    Hi B!

Marmalade - yup, the plan is to run Peckham, despite a snotty cold and too much work to do this weekend. Should be a nice (energetic) break...
  • Options
    Good luck for Sunday Alex. USB, I'm doing Marlborough 33 next Saturday and Richmond Park marathon on Sunday, South Downs on 11 June and if I survive South Downs 3 day ultra at the end of June. Nothing then until Farnham Pilgrims until Sept, but there is the North Downs marathon in August that I have my eye on. What abou you?
  • Options

KateF - YOU ARE WONDER WOMAN!!!!! What does your weekely training schedule look like to maintain these sort of fitness levels?

Report from Peckham 10k yesterday ....Alex, I looked out for you and tried to pick out faces that looked like you on the various super six videos I have watched. But its amazing how people start to all look like each other so in the end I think I saw about 10 people that could possibly have been you!!! Anyway I am pleased to report that the OH finished his first 10k in 1 hour 3 mins which is now his PB to work on. He did the usual mistake of going off to quickly which I did try and tell him to pull back a bit but he was getting carried away I think!! Anyway mistake learnt. After that I ran home as I had 14 mile to run and got slightly lost along the way.But knee held up and feels ok today.

You may remember that I asked about Garmins and from advice given on here I bought a 305. I had been using a Polar and it seems that the distances seem to vary between the Polar and the Garmin. I think the Polar may have had me running a bit shorter than I should have been. I am presuming that the Garmin should be fairly accurate and so when it says I've run 10k or whatever is should be right....anyone else had this problem with different models of watches?

• Options
    Hi Marmalade - I'm only wonder woman if I complete them! I follow a normal marathon schedule but don't really have a rest afterwards, and try to do some back to back long runs. Between races I've been following the last two weeks of a normal schedule, but I only have 2 rest days in the last taper week. Well done to your OH on his first race. I've only ever used a Garmin but it's always been pretty accurate.
  • Options

I've had a Polar 625X and now own a Garmin 310XT, I got fed up mapping the routes by hand, which is the main reason I changed and I deserved a treat image

I think the accuracy ratings between the two on a normal run tend to be fairly similar, give or take a decimal of a percent. It was on the runs where the pace changes significantly such as tempo and intervals that I had problems with the Polar and even then it still wasn't wildly out.

Final LSR yesterday, 21 miles in lovely sunshine. Felt good and was a nice little confidence boost. 3 weeks of taper madness about to kick in

• Options
    Morning! Well done to you and the OH on Saturday Marmalade! I didn't run at all - the sniffle I woke up with on Friday morning had developed into a full blown cold by Saturday morning and my whole body was aching so much it felt as though I'd run a 20 miler the day before! Think this was also due to the circuit class I did on Friday morning and Happy Hour Yoga on Friday evening - but there was no way I was making it down to Peckham for a 10km run on Saturday morning - I didn't leave the house all day! Was feeling significantly better yesterday so went for a four hour (yes, we got lost several times) cycle yesterday afternoon with a friend and am just back from a 7km this morning (now have very sore triceps from leaning over my handlebars). Looking forward to next Saturday's Homerton Hospital 10km at Hackney Marsh - although I will NOT be doing the same circuit class this Friday!

I've only used a Garmin 405 and find it to be very accurate as regards distance. I've also run using both foot pod in shoe and satellite and (assuming it takes an average of the two), the same route comes out at the same distance. I actually find the satellite frighteningly accurate - to the point where you can see where you've crossed the road!

In other news, I have new running shoes! Finally! And they're not blue and grey - they're white and a very girly purple. I'm pretty happy.
  • Options
    That's big news, may those shoes bless u with fast times. Finally done a run I was satisfied with. Been really struggling with running since marathon so glad to have a happy run. By the way that foam rolling really hurts
  • Options
    Haha you get used to it Barry! I can foam roll with grace and panache on my left side (site of former ITB issue) but struggle to balance or not grimace in pain on my right....
  • Options
    i know, i have to keep telling myself to man up. Post runs are starting to hurt as much as the run itself with the squealing from cold baths and the grimacing from foam rolling. Gone are the good old days of flopping on the sofa eating bad foods because i told myself that i had earnt it.
  • Options
    Hello everyone! Bit quiet on here - hope you're all revving up for the weekend.

Now, when is everyone's next race please? I'm running the Homerton 10km tomorrow morning at 10am. Haven't raced since the marathon, and definitely haven't been running far enough lately, but I'm looking forward to a lovely run around Hackney Marsh. It was my first run there last year, most of which I spent marvelling at how lovely the woods / canal path were. It's now my local park run too.

New trainers seem to be doing the trick - I reckon purple's closer to being fast (like red) than the old blue & grey anyway...
  • Options

Mittelrhein marathon on the 28 May, running up and down the Rhein image. Starts at 5.30pm, so should finish sometime between 9.30 and 10pm. It's getting very warm and humid over here but training has gone pretty well.

Couple of quicker runs this week, when I joined the RAF in 86 the fitness test was a 1.5 mile run in under 12mins. Quickest time I ever managed back then was 9min 27 and I hated running back then, so did it again for the first time in 24yrs, done in 9min 57 and that included a 10 sec for sorting my laces out, so happy with that. Then a 4 miler yesterday, felt comfortable enough at about 8m/m

• Options
    SRM - an evening race sounds lovely. Plenty of beer available afterwards too...

This morning's Homerton Hospital 10km was lovely - it set off from the newly-unveiled Hackney Marsh changing sheds (doesn't sound lovely, but it's actually quite glamorous, and absolutely enormous) and wound through the woods and fields three times before ending up at a really nice family day. A guy latched on to me quite near the start and we ran side by side, at the same pace, the whole way. He even slowed down when I had to blow my nose (cold is persisting), so I did the same for him when he slowed to collect a cup of water. It was really nice running with someone of the same pace, not talking, right to the end.

Anyway, the course was apparently 'around 10km' and my Garmin seemed to think it was 10.4, so I wasn't too disappointed with my time of 52 minutes. I felt a bit out of shape to be honest, so am going to pick up the training properly now and start following a half marathon schedule.

In other news, I have just pulled a blood orange and almond cake out of the oven and slid in a tray of baklava... yummo.