Options

ASICS Super Six: Alex (Sub-4:00)

Comments

• Options

BV - Strangely enough I was pondering that very solution, mini snickers are easier to option here than mars bars.

First post marathon run yesterday, just over 3 miles and felt really good to be back out there. Such a contrast from my first marathon attempt when my running mojo went AWOL.

Alex - How did you find the Garmin schedule? I've been looking at it as I think a bit more speed work could aid my progress. I'd tailor it a bit as the base training is already in place and alter the LSR schedule to get up to 20 miles sooner so I can squeeze another one in.

• Options

Hi Barry! Nice to see you again. Totally know what you mean about the post-marathon mental block too. Good to do some relatively unstructured training for a month or so afterwards I reckon - it's nice having the flexibility to go out for drinks when you want to, sleep in an extra morning etc (for a bit anyway - I'm a sucker for a schedule).

SRM - as for the schedule, it was good - although I had nothing with which to compare it. I probably would have preferred running four days a week instead of five, but understand that to run a marathon you need to run more than is actually convenient! One thing I wasn't sure about in retrospect, was the long taper. I know it's all scientific and the people who recommend tapering to this extent are super ultra awesome marathon experts, but I think I lost slightly too much fitness in that time. I also won't be having a pre-marathon quad rub-down as I think that was the cause of my sore quads from 10km onwards. I also won't be running in the evenings - now it's light I'm going to get up and run before work. I've been doing so for the last month or so and it's a lovely way to start the day (and then I can work late without having to meticulously plan at what point I need to step out of the office to run 10 miles up and down the Thames in the dark...)

Steve's going to email his pre-Dublin plan soon - will keep you all up to date!

• Options
    Alex - I'm an early morning runner, makes life so much easier and is a real pleasure at the moment. Tapering for me is only 2 weeks, and 1 rest day in the first week and 2 in the second (if I'm being good, otherwise it's one). That said, I'm no expert but it is all about tailoring to fit you.
  • Options

Oh good - and lucky I have another marathon lined up to test it!

Now - do you mean you rest only one day out of the seven? Or do you train five days per week and add an additional rest day so in the first week of taper you're only training four days, and in the second week of taper, three?

• Options
    Only one rest day in the week, so 6 sessions rather than 7. Sad I know.
  • Options

Having looked at the Garmin plan and compared the last 3 weeks to the Hal Higdon. The Garmin has a fair bit more mileage, particularly the LSR on week 14, which is 18 miles compared to HH's 12.

I didn't have any grumbles with the 3 week HH taper, I think it left me fresh, it was only the mental doubts brought about by previous experience. The more I run marathons the greater experience I get as to what taper to try. Looking at the Garmin, I'd say its a 2 week taper really, albeit that 3rd week out does see a mileage drop

• Options
    Kate! You are again a wonderwoman. Which schedule do you follow you crazy lady?
  • Options
    i found using the garmin marathon plan  (the one contained in the text not the one you download as they vary slightly) as a base was quite effective. In particular doing it on HR rather than pace is quite good for beginners like me because it stops you overtraining/ getting injured. However next time i would do the plan that aims at 15 min fast than my goal time, so sub 3:45 for a sub 4hr.
  • Options

Strangely enough I was thinking the same thing BV about doing the 3.45 schedule, training at a higher level should/would/could make the actual event seem easier (ish). Well it's logical in my world anyway.

Into week 2 of post marathon recovery, short, easy paced runs at the mo and just enjoying it.

• Options
    St Albans done yesterday - new personal best for that course, knocking 15 mins of my time last year with 1:57. 3 weekscompletley off running now and then will assess what i should do next - looking for some really flat 10km and half marathons
  • Options

Congrats Barry! Great course PB.

Some flat halfs I've entered for the rest of the year - Maidenhead half (4 September), Oxford half (25 Sept), Royal Parks (9 Oct) and a Purple Patch half on 13 November. The last one of the year, Bedford half in December, is also relatively flat.

Admitted to the BF that I've entered the Dublin marathon and been cleared to continue.... woohoo!

• Options
    Well done, particularly in the wet. South Downs marathon for me on Sat, took 30 mins off last year's time, so very pleased. Enjoyed it so much I've got a place for the Picnic marathon on Saturday which is pure insanity, apparently you need to add 40% to your normal marathon time as there is 6K of climbing, the UK's toughest marathon apparently. Well done on the Dublin green light Alex.
  • Options
    Kate you are ridiculous. Fair play though - all of that training's got to be of use on a 10% incline at mile 20. Hope it goes well!
  • Options

Great run BV, enjoy the rest.

KateF, insanity is certainly the right word from your description of the Picnic marathon. Doesn't sound like much of a picnic to me. Good luck with it and well done on your South Downs run.

OH approval is always a welcome bonus, I'm very jealous because I know all my training and racing is being logged for future payback justification. Personally I can't understand why the missus doesn't see a LSR as an extra 3 or 4 hours of peace and quiet a week

• Options
    Haha well my BF has just extended his Abu Dhabi secondment for a couple of months, so the marathon has really been agreed upon to keep me busy / entertained / out of trouble until he gets home....
  • Options

I agree SRM, but fortunately Mr F plays cricket which takes hours and seems to involve no fitness but lots of sitting around with beer. Nutritional update, I left my random bag of malt loaf, flapjack, raisins etc in my bag, added some Shot Blocks to it, seemed to work s treat. It was clearly just a marinade I needed!

• Options

Alex - whats the purple patch half - is for members of the running club only? I also surpirsed your boyfirend hasnt sneeked on here to get the low down on your next running plans before he gets "offcially" informed.

Kate - i think the conditions were perfect for me, i have a dodgy body heat valve when i'm running that means i get hotter than a dodgy cars radiator when i run. The rain helps me keep my temperature regulated. Thats why i would never attempt to train or run a marathon during the summer. ps. Kate you are truely bonkers - picnic marathon sounds like hell

Currently i am trying to plant the seed in my girlfriends head about doing a glamorous marathon, if there is such a thing. Thinking Stockholm in June, @ 9 pond a pint its not like i could afford to drink in Sweden so i might as well run.

• Options

HI Barry! Purple Patch organises halfs throughout the year - anyone can enter. The one I've entered is in Maidenhead on 4 September. The 13 November one is actually along the Grand Union canal. We ran one of our Super Six training days along the canal and it was really nice in places. And quite funny when poor Steve fell off his bike.

As for a glamorous marathon - I reckon the most glamorous would be San Fran - it's sponsored by Nike and Tiffany's and you finish along a red carpet, are handed water by men wearing tuxedos, and receive a Tiffany pendant instead of a medal. Only problems are that (a) it's very hilly and (b) it's ladeeeez only.

• Options
    I am booking flights to San Fran!
  • Options

Ahh i have seen  the grand union run before. Nearly entered last year but knew my grilfriend would be put off by the tales of mud along the canal banks. She cries whenever she gets either  (a)her feet wet or (b) mud on her.

Kate i have done you a favour and looked at the course for San Fran. Put your passport away, the course is not nearly sucidal enough for you. It is only for slightly bonkers ladeez not fully bonkers ones such as yourself. The first six miles are practically flat. Thats just not going to sustain your intrest when you can spend your weekends running up and down box hill instead.

Now i'm wondering if Nike do a male version of that race and what that would involve..hmm, best not disclose my ideas on that one.

• Options

Should I just stick with Beachy Head in October then? I don't think they'll be many Tiffany goodies though.

BV, would the male version not just entail chasing (then of course overtaking by a big margin) all the laydeez, finishing with a 6 pack and a good war film? Or is that just Mr F?

• Options
    Kate- i like your adult version of kiss chase
  • Options

It could give a whole new angle to race finishes!

• Options

Why has no one thought of this before?!

Starting to plan my next assault on the marathon, but 16 weeks doesn't start until two weeks' time so am going to try the first two weeks of Pete Pfitzinger's Advanced Marathoning book. Any views on this? This week starts with

Monday - off (although ran 8km this morning)

Tuesday - 11km (with 10 strides) (6.8 miles)

Wednesday - off (will do 2 x spin classes)

Thursday - 15km (9.3 miles)

Friday - off (will do circuits class)

Saturday - 7km recovery (4.3 miles)

Sunday - 20km long (12.4 miles)

What's everyone else up to?

• Options

i think the word advance says it all for the plan above. I think if i had 16/18 week of this plus getting slightly harder i be exhausted at the end of it to even contemplate 26 miles. Its like you have been talking to KateF too much (sorry Kate).

Drinking mostly shich has zapped any desire to go running which is good. Day 10 into my 21 day rest from running after all.

• Options

Hello all - KateF is not as mad as she seems. Shouldn't really have started the Picnic as had a dodgy hip so stopped at the half marathon point. The most evil race in history, but hilarious with it, 50 mins on my normal half marathon time. I'm proud to say that someone from my stupid o clock running group on here won it for the ladies, another Kate who makes me look like a weak marshmallow!

So, this weeks obsession is triathlon. No marathons until 13th August so I decided to do an open water swim this morning and needless to say I am now googling triathlons, and questioning whether I can do one in 10 days. Main issue is my best friend's 40th birthday on the Friday (all day sailing, all night drinking) and a hosting a barbecue on the Saturday, I'm not sure swimming and hangovers mix.

I will post up the training for this week when it's over!

• Options

Welcome to mortality Kate, oh well, no shame. Running has a great habit of making even the seemingly indestructible realise they are human. Enjoy your nights out and the weather.

• Options

Kate - marshmallows are awesome. I made a chocolate marshmallow cake for my secretary's birthday yesterday and it was absolutely delicious. So there's no shame in coming across as a marshmallow in my book.

I've always wanted to try a tri but am a bit of a scaredy cat in open water with men's elbows thrashing all over the place. Have signed up for the London duathlon in September as a gentle introduction... without the elbows. Where are you swim-training?

On a side note, I reckon the swimming will wake you up a bit...

Marathon training starts all over again on Monday of next week! Am going to download the 3:45 schedule now... not sure whether to commit to four or five days per week running. Think it may have to be five...

• Options

Allo allo!  Browsing around my faves and realised I hadn't been here for ages - so good to catch up and see what you're up to Al - as well as the bionic Kate, BV and others!   Can't believe you're ready to train for another marathon.  I'm still not planning to do another this year or next year.  

Al - looking forward to hearing how your duathlon training is going - i.e. get on yer bike!   I'm liking tri quite a lot at the moment - this is my second year, and did Windsor a few weeks ago which was OK - but largely due to marathon training, I only had 8 weeks to train for it ie. bike and swim - the run, of course, was OK!  That was Olympic distance, and just doing 1 more sprint this year down at Hever Castle which I did last year.  Anyway, enough of tri - I'll probably be evicted or something!   Maybe reading more about what people are up to running might help me love it a bit more again!

• Options

No running over the past 4 days due to a niggling calf and hamstring, but Frankfurt marathon training kicks off today with a nice easy 3 miler from the 3.45 Garmin schedule, although the end goal is more modest and to finish somewhere between 4 and 4.20. Will see how it goes and take it from there.