Options

ASICS Super Six: Bridget (Sub-4:15)

Comments

• Options
    Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭
    Well what an absolute p*sser! That really is beeping awful luck. I am so sorry... it must be a bit hard to keep the British stiff upper lip right now.

It may have been a blessing in disguise though, as it was such a warm day that it would have been difficult to get a race time that properly reflected the great progress you've made in training. With the fitness and confidence you've got now, the surprising thing will be if you *don't* have a sub 4:15 by the end of this yeat. Genuinely it seems just a matter of getting the ducks all lined up.

.they say Riga (may 22) is flat...
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

((((Bridget))))

It's good to hear that you're okay and were well looked after.

Stratford sounds a good idea.  i didn't find the hill in Stratford bad at all.  If anything it was the downhill part which got me more. The Greenway is nothing to be feared about, not even the last time as when you hit it you're only 10k away from the finish.

• Options

I'm really sad to read this but you made the right decision, USB.  You're already talking about finding another race to lay this to rest , so there's nothing wrong with your resolve!! Take it easy this evening and hope you're back to normal tomorrow.

Everyone is very proud of you xx

• Options
    All the best USB you did the very best youcould. I thought of you as I left the house at 7.20 for a little six mile bumble and it was warm up here so I was thinking wow that is going to be hot in Paris and Brighton. Cant back to England and see how you feel before rushning into another race and then I am sure you will feel ready to go again in a day or so...............
  • Options
    ClamshellClamshell ✭✭✭

Oh Bridget, i don't know what to say....

sooo, sorry to hear that.  Hope you feel better soon, and that you get another chance to put all your training into practice.

Take Care

Michelle x

• Options

Bridget

i'm really so sorry for you

but, it's better you get to DNF and return home safe than anything else

Marathons are all on the day, anything can go wrong,

your still a star Bridget and loved by all of us

another day ahh xxx

• Options
    Bridget - sorry I havent followed your thread (I follow the ones sub 3h30, sub 3h15 and sub 3) but have looked at all of them this afternoon to find out how you've all got on.

"Sue C - I had to comment specifically on the idea of another marathon soon as I had already had the thought put into my head by someone from the RW team! He told me about a SSXer from last year who didn't hit the target on the day but went on to do so a few weeks later."

Yeah this is me. I had a shithouse time of it last year and it REALLY sounds like what happened to me - I think it's part physical and part mental although i stupidly dragged my sorry carcass around London and did the whole thing and really went to town on being a dumbarse hero. I am taking a (huge) guess here but I would guess the SSX goldfish bowl experience has claimed another victim by the sound of your emotional moment. Did you feel full of beans yesterday? Dead happy? Really up for it? Were you the centre of the six of you when you were together at meal times and in general being super positive and full of energy? PM me if you want and we'll chat about it

Right - you've got the training done and best of all you ENTIRELY possible to find another marathon, don't make it public and train through and get the marathon time you're capable of. When you've bagged it (I did Chester 5 weeks after London) come back on here and tell everyone how fcking great it feels image Follow Steve's advice after today and do yourself justice

Rich
  • Options
    Bridget - just read back a page and what Steve is saying about you could easily have been written about me - form of my life, really great thread host, posting PB's prior to the marathon,etc. Also, I broke down and cried twice en route at London, once when I saw my clubmates just before Tower Bridge (I was too ashamed to look at them) and then further on at around 20 miles when I saw RJ spectating. I then broke down at the SSX reception when I was interviewed for the magazine as the enormity of what had happened hit me like a train.
  • Options

Hi Bridget, I know words won`t mean a lot at the moment, but it was not your fault today, illness can occurr at any time, and it is just unfortunate that it happened to you toady, a bummer I know, but your day will come and you WILL be stronger for it as well, so keep your chin up, keep everything in perspective, as it is only running , not life or death, and you have been fantastic on this and all the threads.

Others suffered as well today, so don`t feel lonely, If you want to hear of my disaster then have a peep on Minni`s site, it might make you think it was not just you today, and I have got a spare seat if you feel that is what you needimage you could join me?

• Options
    So sorry to hear this USB. Hope you manage to find a marathon to put all that training to good use. You difnitely made the right decision, was very hot in Brighton today and I saw a lot of people collapse or really struggle. Forcing yourself to go on when not feeling well could well have made you much worse. It's certainly been a very good thread so best wishes with your 4:15.
  • Options
    Aww Bridget, a good decision on a bad day

There are other battles to fight and there is a definite pb in there for you x
  • Options
    AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭
    tough luck USB...but great attitude. Follow Matchstick Man's example and book another mara soon.
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    sorry to hear you had to drop out USB. will you be able to find another marathon soon-ish to try again?

remember, the training and the experience have all been useful - it obviously just wasn't your day today
  • Options

I would also recommend the Halstead one haven't done it myself but it gets great reports in Essex not too far to go.

Maybe all the travel and change of food played a part.

• Options
    Hey Bridget - I'm so sorry to hear what happened today and its a complete bummer to put it mildly!! I was so devastated when I had to pull out a couple of days ago but was hanging on in there willing you and Vik round Paris and Brighton between visits to the hospital.

Its damn hard when you are told 'there are plenty of other marathons' but its true and in a few days time when you are not so upset you will be looking to enter one - just let me know which one and I'll probably join you!!! image
  • Options
    I would advise you to edit or remove that last comment, D2D. Not appropriate here.
  • Options

I have no idea what you mean by that remark D2D, I hope it's not what it seems.   But if it is, then that exceeds even your normal level of rude, arrogant and unpleasant remarks.

And you wonder why people take against you.

• Options
    What a complete bitch .... I suggest you take some of your own advice D2D and if you have nothing good to say then dont day it at all
    This is not the place for your childishness.
  • Options

Karma?

What sort of stupid comment is that?image

Bridget, I've met you a few times and I know you're a strong runner who will come back from this. Take a rest for a few days and think things over - I know you can do this thing.

• Options
    Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭
    Personally I would've hated to run in todays heat - certainly in Paris. I'm really sorry that things didn't go well for you today. As JB says, you'll bounce back from this.
  • Options
    ((((Bridget)))) Sounds like it was the right decision and a brave one too. As others have said, you will recover from this. It was so hot out there today.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear this Bridget, but even the great Chrissie Wellington can get an illness on race day.... bounce back strong! image
  • Options

D2D, despite all the people on here who claim you're only young, you're rather naive etc.......you've just shown everyone your true colours with one single word!   I hear it's nice over on Fetch this time of year, why don't you try it again!!

Bridget, really sorry to hear about what happened, but sounds like you made the right decision. You'll crack it with the next one hun image

• Options

Morning

So terribly sorry to hear of this bridget

You damn well put in the work, and you didnt deserve that

But it takes true guts to make a sensible decision if you re not well.True guts

I look forward to seing your comeback Wherever the next marathon is

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• Options

I've just been looking at the description of the route for Halstead which sounds rather nice but definitely undulating in nature.  That is in 4 weeks time.

The other appealing one is Dorset but that would depend on getting a place from someone.  It is described as flat/undulating but I can't make sense of the course profile.  Does anyone know what is it like?

• Options

((((Bridget)))
  • Options

So sorry to hear you felt unwell Bridget but you made a wise decision in pulling out when you did.

Your next marathon will be fantastic, I just know it!

Might see you at NF then? image

• Options

Hi Bridget  - not posted before but have been following you very closely.  So sorry about yesterday.  Dorset is a brilliant marathon -my friends and I decided to do it last year after a disastrous London the year before.  It's  very low key, lots of lovely country lanes - quite flat a few little undulations and we felt we were going out on a Sunday morning training run - this took all the pressure off and we all achieved pb's.  It looks from the website that there's only one person on the waiting list and the organisers are really helpful.  It would be great to see you down there!

• Options

USB: hard decisions are usually the bravest, from what you have said it was the right decision. Now onto the next marathon!  I have run Halstead, its very friendly, low key and even has a meeting point for forumites, in fact they still send me a email every year on my birthday. But flat it is not I seem to remember  a biggish hill early on then twice up a further one during the loop section of the course, its all very rural.  I ran 3-50 ish there against my norm of 3-40 at the time so probably not a PB course

I have also run Dartmoor Discovery that is one tough mother of a course, with serious hills and a killer if its hot, have no knowledge of New Forest marathon but  ZaTTu over on the daily training thread won it a couple of years ago in a pretty quick time so its probablt better from a PB point of view.

Don't dwell on the past move onto new dreams!

• Options

Sorry it didn't work out. It is always unfair when it is something like illness that gets in your way, you certainly put in the training.

Would you be interested in Edinburgh, or is that too far? If transers are still open I think I know someone who still has a number.

Great flat course, but the only downside is it has been very hot the last 2 years, which were not fun! I bet since I'm not doing it this year it'll be cool and drizzly though.