Options

RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

O4S-had you trained instead of eating cake and riding around on a tandem with BA ,Paula would have been looking over her shoulderimageHow would yourtimes look applying WAVA to them?

Cock up over appointments resulted a Doctor no show so rearranged for next week. I will just have to continue to train at easy pace

• Options

Hi AA, Hope you are feeling good? Draining blisters ? image

Hi Barry, Abingdon seems to be your most successful marathon consistently then? yes, my physio usually recommends 2 weeks off running. First week nothing at all and second cross training.

Hi O4s, Hindsight eh? I live my life in hindsight ;0)

Hi 2old, Yes, I suppose the Hansons has a similar Furman feel with the interval and tempo runs, but I don't think they are as brutal as the Furmans routine. I did a traditional style plan for the spring marathon and then the Hansons plan for Autumn. If you/anyone wants to have a look just drop me a message with your email address and I will send over a copy of the plans.

Went for an easy 3 this morning. Few tweaks but nothing untowards to complain about. Glutes are still a bit achy from my S&C earlier in the week so just easing back into it. Off for a bit of cross training with the lads tonight. Pool and Beers image

• Options

Hope everyone is recovering nicely. I did 3 easy yesterday and legs seem ok just te bloody toe nails. Plan tomorrow is 9 slow if I can manage it. Really don't want to get injured now. 16 days to Niceimage

• Options

Ditto on the toenails (and the raw bunionimage). Running in the British Masters XC relays tomorrow - bit of a schlep up to Derby, but we only just have a W55 team so no excuses allowed!

Will decide on the Stroud HM after the relays.......

• Options

Sounds like the Abbo  group recovering well - toenails & blisters image hope they are sorted before Nice AA

2Old that's rubbish the appointment cock up just what you dont need. Wasn't tempted to join in at Abbo but made me realise that I need to get my running back into gear.

Like the cross training Nell image

O4S Good luck for the cross country

Started Triathlon swim training session last night - not too bad.

Day off work today so went for a run in the Wiltshire countryside with the youngest daughter & the dog. Great trying to run up a big hill with a dog on a mission feeling like my arm was going to be pulled out of the socket. Just under 3 miles done, very happy to see my car & will leave the dog at home next time. Off to Blackpool this weekend so I have packed the running kit.

• Options

2old - I have a London place, I have unfinished business there as it is my PW course, will definately be mixing up the training and only running 3 times a week. Me and pink will hopefully be doing are our first tri on Good Friday. Will not be doing Furman though as I tried it once and found the speedwork target paces unachievable. Might even back off the long runs until the 12 week point concentrating on mlrs  with Wokingham HM a target in Feb, to try and avoid injury. Good to see you back running.

nell - I've run my best at Abo but I have run it 5 times and it is a flat course.

Speaking of marathons, is anyone in contact with Daren? I think he was meant to do York or a different marathon.

Lots of swimming this week and new exercise bike arrived yesterday to keep the bike training up during the winter

• Options

Pink - I can't run with my dogs on the lead i would be face down in seconds. Have a good weekend in Blackpool. 

barry - daren has stopped running. Had a health scare and can't run anymore I believe. 

O4S - you never cease to amaze me! Good luck in the XC. When's the half? Sunday?!!

• Options

Hi O4s, Hoping the relays went ok today?

Hi Pink, Sounds like hard work with the dog? I see a couple of folk running wit dogs and to me it does not look much fun. I'll stick with letting the kids just have guinea pigs! I know the outcome if we got a dog, I would be one of those unfortunate devils running with it image

Hi Barry, I suppose the swimming would be good this week, less impact...That is my plan, try and keep up a good base over the winter and then a 12 week plan for London then keep the tank going another 5 weeks for Edinburgh.

Hi AA, That is a damn shame about Daren, I was expecting a terrific time from his Autumn marathon. He had some fast miles in him. Hope he is ok?

Another easy run today just over 4.5 miles. It was going to be 5 but the wind was hacking me off.... All felt ok. And then shipped my daughter over to Grangemouth for the Scotland school 1 mile relay races. They have fitted the Commonwealth track from Hampden at Grangemouth and they were all promised they would run on the same track as Bolt. When we got there the track was out of bounds as they only got it fitted yesterday. A lot of unhappy kids!

Obviously whoever made that promise hasn't got kids, don't promise what you may not deliver....I learnt that a long time ago image

• Options

hi guys, sounds like you are recovering post marathon ok.

O4S - do you ever rest?!image how was the cross country.

just lurking, sticking to shorter runs as per physio's suggestion. quick question - bodypump yay or nay? our gym has opened a new branch 5 mins walk from home, i could do bodypump instead of l.b.t twice a week for strengthening, thinking would be ok for the knee if started with very light weights?

• Options

Kiwi: I only gave up body pump because there was a lot of emphasis on leg muscles in my class and with lots of cycling I was ending up with ginormous thighs image. I really enjoyed it though

Relays went OK, we were 4th W55 in the British Masters, despite team members being 69/63/58. The sixty + duo did faster legs than their younger team member image

However I discovered that running sub 8mm is still extremely painful with the broken rib, which obviously hasn't completely healed yet. I also managed to rub my bunion raw again image

BA has been suffering with a dreadful cold (not quite man flu, but close!), so before heading to the HM this morning he tried a short warm-up round the block. He came back gasping for breath and with his chest burning, having to abandon and walk back. As I was away for 9 hours yesterday and am heading off to Edinburgh for a long weekend next weekend, I decided not to leave him again - although I did nip out for a 10 mile run from the front door.

• Options

o4S - well done yesterday. And your 10 mile recovery run today!! Hope BA improves soon. 

Kiwi - I would say yes do it. My clients that mix running and body pump think it's a great combo. 

Nell - those poor kids. Such a shame. 

9 miles yesterday @8:39. Legs still tired. felt exhausted afterwards. Good knows how I will do London 6 days after Boston in April!! 

• Options

Hi guys, how strange...just thought I'd have a lurk and see if the thread was still going strong and I'm being talked about! Nice to know I haven't been forgotten image

Nell, Barry -  a couple of fantastic times! You should be very proud of those...

I'm absolutely fine, but as AA said, I'm not running anymore. Had a funny turn several months ago - palpitations followed by nearly fainting (I've never even come close to fainting before) at work, and coming only a few days after a fit and healthy guy my age died in the Southend HM I ran, it kind of freaked me out quite a bit.

Had an ECG, which was fine, but decided to ease off the running, as I guessed it was sign of my body telling me I was overdoing it, and with the focus of marathon training gone, I ended up easing off a lot! I occasionally run for a couple of miles in the woods, but I think the days of pounding the streets are gone. To be honest, with all the stitch problems I'd been having in races, I was thinking of easing off after the marathon anyway as it was becoming very frustrating. My only regret is that I never got to run the marathon time I was capable of - my training at the time suggests sub-3:10 should have been doable (although there's every chance I would have been tempted by sub-3, gone off too fast, got a stitch and ended up crashing and burning and bitterly disappointed, so maybe it was a lucky escape!)

Take care guys and enjoy the running!

• Options
    O4S - well done on the relay result. I hope BA isn't being too demanding as he is ill!

Daren - good to see you on here, such a shame about all that untapped potential being unfulfilled, but your health is the important thing.

AA - good to get those 9 miles in. No idea how you're going to do 2 in 6 days!

17.5 for me yesterday, 8.20 average pace. It felt a lot better than the week before - I suppose having a clear head may have had something to do with itimage
  • Options

Jeepers, Daren - how scary image. Glad everything is OK though. The heart does funny things sometimes ... You never know - the bug may come back as you get older image

AA: Boston AND London image????? Nuts. Shazmo on the P&D thread did them this year but I think they were 2 weeks apart and she said it nearly killed her. But hey, you did that Swiss Alps marathon so obviously made of some stern stuff image

Nice running, Freemers.

And great relay running, O4S. Hope Mr. BA is on the mend.

Not much to report here - picked up a cold last week and instead of getting better after 3 days which is the normal course, this one seems to be getting worse. Oh well image

• Options

Nell - After your great performance at York, no pressureimage, but  what's the target for VLM and Edinburgh.

Daren - Good to hear from you but rubbish news about your scare, shame you did n't get to do the marathon but health has got to be the first priority. Any thoughts of joining in with the tri wannabees?

Chick - Speedy recovery from your cold, I'm currently keeping away from our youngest who has got the lurgy.

Freemers -  You are getting better week by week, good running.

Kiwi - Sorry never done Bodypump, but I think anything to help strengthen the muscles around the knee  would be good.

AA - If your legs are still tired I'd back off running for a few more days.

O4S - Well done on the masters run.

Just swimming still for me,  15 x 100m this morning with 30 seconds rest but still got issues unless I have lane to myself. My technique suffers when swimming with others just don't relax,  probably overly concerned about crashing into them. Going to give running a miss for another week, as per physio instructions.  Will try and get out on my bike if weather permits this week or use the new exercise bike.

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Seems to be a trend to double marathons going on-

AA- Boston and London- a pair of my dreams but beyond my capability- bet it's one you'll take in your stride I'm sure . You thrive on pain

Nell- which is your A race?London ?with Edinburgh your lap of honour? 

Barry- no rush to get back running..sort out the Achilles now ready for next year. What sort of exercise bike have you got. I do most of my cycling- little that it is and nil at the moment, on mine

Chick- you're having a rough time at the mo.  Hope your back to 100% soon

O4S- more good stuff from you. Look after BA 

Free- keep building your LR like this and youll be doing ultras by March.

daren- thanks for popping in and reassuring us all is ok. Can't blame you for taking the sensible approach. Hope all works out. I actually fainted two weeks ago and hit my head Leaving a nice scar ,whiplash and swollen jaw. Seeing neurosurgeon on Weds and having another ECG then too. In Nov I'm being fitted with an ECG device to wear all day. I'm taking the view that's all belt and braces to confirm all is well. My problem is that I can't bring myself to quit....at least not until after London .  The tests may do that though. 

Eased myself back last week with 3 runs,3 swims and a bracing walk along the Local beach and over the sand dunes. 

• Options

Cheers for the well wishes guys. I think it was just one of those things and I haven't had anything weird happen since, so fingers crossed all is ok.

2Old, hope your scans don't show up anything and you're given a clean bill of health.

Barry, no, no plans for tri or anything like that - I'm enjoying my retirement image 

• Options

Hope everything is OK, 2old.

I guess I will have to bite the bullet too and get my palpitations seen into. My gyn thought it could be hormonal, but HRT hasn't really made them go away. They are less severe, but still there. My thyroid is all over the place as well apparently. Which may or may not be the reason why my running went down the drain in March and has never really come back together again.

Right now I need to shake this cold though. It's turned chesty image so no running for a while as I can barely breathe ...

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Thanks Chick-yes better get yourself checked out. Being healthy isnt straightforward.

Daren-cheers for the good wishes

Another TM session today( at least there are trained first aiders aroundimage)

• Options

2old - It's a Proform Tour de France bike, looks a good bit of kit, has 20 tour routes pre programmed and can "cycle" anywhere in the world through ifit and google maps. It tilts up to 20 degrees to simulate climbing and descending but unfortunately at the mo when I increase the gradient the pedalling gets harder but the bike tilts forward and vice a versa when descending, engineer had been booked to sort it. I've fitted some SPD pedals to it.

An hour in the pool this morning 10 x 50 and then lots of left breathing practice,and a sweaty hour on the bike this afternoon in "flat" manual mode trying to keep the RPM at 90.

• Options

Hi kiwi, One Bodypump session for 2 S&C sessions? Come on now ;0) as AA says it is good to mix things up and keep you motivated. Go for it!

Hi AA, Please tell me the Boston/London thing is a joke?? I thought I was being a bit drastic running London and Edinburgh with 5 weeks in between? Hopefully the legs will come back for the Riviera....just think of the wine at the end!

Hi Daren, Good to hear from you. A damn shame on having to quite the running. I am sure we were going to hear off a sub 3 from you this Autumn. But it sounds you have been very sensible, and rightly so...too much sensible thinking for this forum ;0)
    No honestly hope all goes well for you...

hi Freemers, yes I bet that was a more enjoyable 17 miles this time...good stuff!

Hi Chick, hope you feel better soon, you are having a bit of a time of it aren't you?

Hi barry, Sounds like the recovery after the maratho is going well.

Hi 2old, Easy does it eh? hopefully you will be back in fll swing again soon..

Missed my Sunday run and went out for 6 miles yesterday morning at average 7:11mm. Down the gym early doors this morning for some S&C.

Next year for me? Not really sure guys. I know someone who is running Tokyo in Feb, but is also going to run London....he'll probably end up running Edinburgh too knowing him!
    I may run with him in London, but he will be going for sub 3. I am not sure whether to start with him in London and see how things are going on the day and make a call whether to go for it at half way, in mind that the second half will be tougher. I know London will be harder than Edinburgh and logically Edinburgh should be the one to go for the best time . But then London will be when I may be at my optimum best.
    So to be honest, I haven't a blooming clue yet image
    I will most probably have to see how the training goes and how I feel on the day of London and what I think I have in me timewise after training. But I suppose it would be good to run with someone...and now I am dribbling as my old English teacher used to say, so I will stop!

• Options

thanks for the bodypump feedback, am booked for 2 sessions next week. have really been enjoying the l.b.t + yogaltes at the other gym but a 15 minute drive as opposed to a 5 min walk to the new gym means Bodypump deserves a chance! 

knee seems to be behaving, doing a local 10km Sunday, more to participate tham run fast but hopefully it will be ok.

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Barry-I ve seen that bike advertised and it looks brilliant.A winter on it-if you can push Pink offimage-and youll be near Ironman ready next year

Kiwi-good gyming there and good idea to do a 10k for the fun? of it

Nell-guess you have time to recover from London to nail Edinburgh too though if sub 3 is your aim -and it probably should be-only one of them can be your A race

On the other hand AA will not have the opportunity to recoverimageBoston is on a Monday

ECG today showed what I already knew-I have an enlarged left ventricle-as do many other distance runners -otherwise all ok but I now wait to see if the GP a) wants to see me to discuss it or b) refers me for an Echocardiogram or c) does nothing further. A cardiologist said 3 years ago it was nothing to worry about and just what 'one would expect from a fit gentleman of (my) age'. Seeing the neurosurgeon tonight. What a hassle when I could be going to my swim club.

• Options

Hi 2old, Maybe this time it needs taking a bit further then ? Best get it checked out and have the peace of mind as opposed to doubt... yes, I hear what you are saying on London/Edinburgh. I will have to have a good think about it.

Message me your email address 2old and I will fire over those plans for you if you are still interested?

Hi kiwi, Good luck with the 10k this weekend, good choice on the bodypump. best to enjoy the activity image

Out this morning for 6 miles. Decided to see how the legs were and ended up running average 6:56mm. Not totally flat so pushed a bit in places, but enjoyed it and no ITB issues which is good. Before I have had ITB issues coming back, so another thumbs up for Hansons image

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Nell- don't worry I'm getting a thorough going over. Nice pacey run today. You'll have a lot of pace to release in some shorter races after the marathon training. It's always good to see a niggle disappear too. I will pm you after a few more tests are out of the way 

saw the neurolgist and he was of the same view as my GP ...'situational syncope'but  he wants an MRI to dot the i's and cross the t's so thats the plan for Monday. 

• Options

Nice and mild this morning, albeit a bit windy. 7 miles this morning at 7:03mm average. Running alternate mornings with S&C in the alternate days to build back up again. image

• Options
    Nice pace nell image. You have recovered remarkably well from your recent marathon. I usually need 8 or more weeks before pace returns.

Hope you get the all clear, 2old. I have a referral to an endocrinologist/cardiologist now.

Right now I'm trying to shake that bloody cold though. Still coughing up green gunk image
  • Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Nell-that looks like it's your steady state pace now.

Chick- looks like we will be having some of the same tests. Hope it's nothing to worry about

3runs earlier this week and apart from some short swims an easy weekend for me
  • Options

Nell - you're back running great again already. 

2old/chick - really hope it's not too serious for you both. 

6x600s @ 15kph Wednesday and 12 miles for me yesterday @8:39 pace. Few aches and pains but all ok. Few miles this morning but have come down with a bit of a cold today. I really hope it doesn't last too long. 7 days until Nice-Cannes marathon. No idea what to expect doing 2 marathons 3 weeks apart. All I do know is that I clearly remember the nightmare of setting off to quick so that won't be happening! 

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    AA-thanks. It will be interesting to see how you cope. Get the pace right , stick to it and you'll do well