Options

RW Forum Six - Sub 5.30

Comments

• Options

I have printed off the 3 day a week schedule off here as my basic distance plan.  I can always top it up with extra stuff if I have time and will chuck in at least one weights session in the gym and my Tai Chi on a Thursday.

This week I'll try for Sunday/Tuesday/Thursday as I'm away from then until Sunday and will be too busy eating, drinking and generally celebrating the the arrival of 2011 with friends.  Given the amount of snow where I am going, I don't think an outside run is a vague possibility.

Happy Christmas Soupy and all the other plodders on this thread image

• Options

Happy Christmas to everyone on this thread and lurkingimage

Soupy, remember the responsibility you now hold - when you pick up that extra mince pie, glass of fizz etcimage

• Options

Does the mulled wine last night count Jeepers? image

Still looking at different schedules and will post one up on Boxing Day.  We are in this together everyone! 

• Options
    Soup Dragon washing her socks by night wrote (see)

Does the mulled wine last night count Jeepers? image

No, that counts as fruit, so you can put that towards your "5 a day"image
  • Options
    It's a well known fact that if you have floating fruit in your mulled wine that counts as double. image  I shall be getting my 5 a day from the grape juice known as Sauvignon Blanc this evening.
  • Options

Well there were orange segments in my mulled wine so it was positively healthy TP.  Enjoy your grape juice.  image

Still slippy underfoot here so did another treadmill session today.  The gym closed at 4pm so I only had time to do a slow 5k which took 38mins. I kept myself entertained with a silent screening of Come Dine with Me on the telly accompanied by tuneless gym music.   Average HR - 142.  But I do plan to do 5k tomorrow morning and have my Santa hat at the ready.  See, I'm taking my responsibilites seriously. image

Have a very happy Christmas everyone.  image

Soupy

x

• Options

Impressive Soupy

Merry Christmas for tomorrow image your halo will surely be shining image

• Options

Happy Christmas one and all.  5k Parkrun done and well worth turning out for cos it was brilliant. image Snowy and slippy in places so I meant to take it slow but I got carried away and did it in 34mins.  Not a pb but not bad considering underfoot conditions and a rather warm santa hat. 

Just polishing my halo now before putting the turkey in the oven.

• Options

Happy Christmas image

No plod for me as far too much snow (mid thigh level on the uncleared bits) unless you ran on the main road and that's a wee bit dangerous.  I had a snowy trudge round the village and took some photos instead. 

I am getting my 5 a day today from the sprouts, carrots, turnip I had with lunch .... topped up with some from this fizzy drink which I am fond of.

Do the strawberry and orange creams count?  Does anybody know?

• Options

What?  Yawn image Who said that?  Oh hello TP.  I fell asleep. image  Strawberry and orange creams count as 2 cos there is 2 in them.  Now where was I?  A good run followed by half a bottle of champagne before a big dinner with red wine is a heady mix. I dropped off for an hour.  And I haven't had pudding yet!!!  Whos for figgy pudding?  With brandy sauce.  Mmmmmmm

See you later.   I love Christmas.

PS - TP, you are given a special "don't have to run pass" due to too much snow.  Everyone else has to apply on the usual form. image image

• Options

Sounds like a perfect kind of day Soupy image

Figgy pudding image Mummy Pink's trifle image

• Options

Evening plodders. image   Hope everyone had a good day yesterday and that you all got your favourite "must have" presents.  I did a 7 mile run this afternoon (90mins/av HR 142 70%) and its time to get serious now and let the work begin.  After doing lots of compare and contrast I've decided to follow the RW sub 5 schedule. Now before you all remind me that we are not aiming for sub 5 (in my dreams) the trick is to look at the column on the right and substitute the paces for whatever time you are aiming for which it will calculate for you,  or if you are running to HR like I am then check out the HR pace box.  Or you can try the MacMilan calculator here.  Its a garmin ready schedule but I haven't got a garmin so I'll have to do some cutnpaste.

Why sub-5 schedule you may ask?  Well I've done 5 marathons and always followed the slow beginners schedules but they tend not to give any speedwork  sessions and very basic so I'm not progressing at all.  If this gets too difficult I can always cut back but I want to test myself and push out of my comfort zone.  I looked at the sub-4.30 too and they are almost the same except for just one extra session a week so this should challenge me (and us if you are with me on this) okay.  I plan to bike one day a week too.  Some of the midweek mileage looks a bit scarey as the schedule progresses but so long as I take it slow I think I can do it.  I've got used to 20miles a week so long as I go slow, but don't know what effect the intervals are going to have. 

This is all subject of course to what Ironmin says who I presume is off-line at the moment what with Christmas and all that.  Either that or I've scared her off already.  image

• Options
    Oh I am liking that schedule a lot better than the one I printed off the site - it was the beginners 3 sessions a week one - as it seems to build up the mileage a lot steadier.  I'll print it off at work tomorrow and give it a better look.  Anyway I am planning to start a programme tomorrow.  My gym kit is sitting by the door so I can't walk past it.
  • Options
    TP - I've always done the beginner schedules - there doesn't seem to be anything in between for slow but not beginners.  This time I'm going to try something different.  I don't think 3 days a week is enough for me and I've never done more than 5 miles mid-week so hope to benefit from some increased mileage.  I've been following Moraghan's advice by doing base training for a good few weeks at a slow pace so I'm trusting that will pay dividends now.  Enjoy the gym tomorrow - I'll be checking up on you. image
  • Options

I dont' think 3 days a week is enough for me either but I suspect it might be all I can squeeze in some weeks.  I will also have to shuffle the runs around for weeks when I am away with work as I either spend hours on a train or fly and have no room to take running kit with me.  Few weeks like that in Jan/Feb and then one in March I think. image

I did a couple of 10 milers midweek last time.  I managed to finish early on a Wednesday to get them done before bedtime ...

• Options

Monday 27 December - week 2 (I'm a week in advance of VLM remember)

Rest day image

That means cleaning and tidying from the last few days and tackling the mountain of ironing. image  Might manage a  gentle little swimble and a jacuzzi at the gym later though as a treat.

• Options

Morning all - another one where "rest day" takes on a different meaning!

I agree with what you say, Soupy, there doesn't seem to be a programme for experienced but not necessarily fast runners, a lot of tweaking involved, but you've obviously given it a lot of thought and found the bits that suit you best.  Agree with you that in many ways, you need to be able to push yourself out of your comfort zone, which with a mentor (and the forum breathing down your neck, you will!).

• Options

Hmmm, week 1 for me so it's 2 miles for me.  Will have to be in the gym as pavements are still an icy no-go area.  I shall do some weights afterwards.

I have laminated my schedule ... will do fine to rest my wine glass on of an evening image

Have adapted the one you linked to above Soupy as I think that's got the best build up for me.  More sessions but the long runs seem to be a better schedule and it will adapt to my work disturbances better.  Will need to do some swaps to fit in Inverness Half too as it would need to be the week before to fit into this .... would fit fine with you Soupy .... fancy a jaunt to Inverness?

• Options

Day one done - 2 miles on the tready at 12.5 mm.  I didn't mind the dreaded tready as much as I thought I would. 

One day done ... 15 weeks and 6 days to go image

• Options

Good start TP.  So where's everyone else?

• Options

I'm here even though I'm not marafunning image

I have to say that some of the "best" times I ever set (very relatively speaking!!) were when I regularly managed to get a long'ish run in midweek.  I built up to around 8 - 10 miles midweek but was lucky that I could arrange it in such a way that I ran home from work with some extra bits so once I'd set off I had no choice but to carry on to get home image.  I'd definitely say it made a difference so hopefully it will do for you too

If you're planning any races as part of training then do let us know on here.  Berry (fellow WAISTer) and I are possibly looking at some halfs in the spring which fits in with both our plans and we are probably looking in the general SE area....

• Options

Thanks for that Podds.  Yes, Im looking for a HM and SE is fine so would love to join you.  I missed the entry for Reading which is my usual spring jaunt so lets see what else there is.  And I run home from work once a week now which is just under 5 miles so could easily map a few long way round routes.  You know what, I think this could be fun!

plan says 4 slow miles today so I'd better get out there.  See you later.

• Options

Happy Running Soupy!

Berry is in London and I can travel within reason although it does take me a good hour in the car just to reach the M25 but so long as I can find a dog sitter I'm willing to travel further afield if it means company image

• Options

I've swapped things about a bit due to having been booked into a free trial gym session today with Mr Soup.  So did Thursday speed session on a tready of 1 mile jog then 1.5 miles x 2 fast with 800m jog recovery then 1m jog.  I did the fast sessions at 10.30 min/miles and it was hard.  In fact my 800m jog recovery turned into a 400m walk recovery. So I've got some work to do.  At least on a tready I have to keep the pace going without the temptation to slow down or stop for a rest, even though it is boring.  I put the incline on 0.5% which I think is advised but willing to stand corrected on that. 

Had a hunt for a half marathon but the most likely of them (Tunbridge or Eastbourne) clash with Mr S's races so I've entered Wokingham HM on 13 Feb.  Hope its not too far for Podds to get to.  I suppose I should have checked what my schedule says I should be doing first - oops, better do that now.

• Options

Today is a rest day for me.  I am coping quite nicely with it now I'm home from work.

Well done Soupy image

• Options
    Tinselled Pink wrote (see)

Today is a rest day for me.  I am coping quite nicely with it now I'm home from work.

Yep, well done Soupy on sticking to your schedule.  And for tackling the treadie - I never go on them, so tried one last year when the roads were really icy - nearly fell offimage

• Options

I'm not a natural treadie runner either Jeepers, they make me feel queasy but I have realised that I have to persevere with it this time and JFDI image

I have 6 to do on Sunday and I am really hoping that I will get that done outdoors as that's a long time to be on there.  It does help me keep an even pace though ... no slowing down to gaze in people's windows image

• Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭

Mrs Far Far, XB and I hope to do Ashby 20 in Marchimage but that might be too close to your marafun? I'm looking at Windy in May. Not that I've entered either yet, but don't tell 'em image

I ran a couple of miles today, first time in a couple of weeks, felt like starting all over again image But at least I found my mojo image