Options

Just a little bit further - 2011

Comments

• Options
    L2RAL2RA ✭✭✭

Evening all and welcome SL

AF congrats on your race it sounds like your course was similar to mine today.  Very impressive time image  Hope ur foot is better for your next race

Tatton Park 10K

I got up at 7am as I had travel for todays event (only an hour away but had to be there for 9.30).  Looked out the window to see heavy rain and strong winds.  Not a good start but I figured I would just make the best of it and forget about PB's.

I was very nervous for 2 reasons 1. my first race as a crac member and 2.  the first race my family decided to meet me there and support.

Sadly things did not improve as I arrived at the venue to find it was going to be XC which I had never done before.  Figured it could be my new PB for a XC event.

Then the crisis happened.  Just before the start my friend decided she needed the loo so we had to head back to the loos.  Whilst there my mum rings to say she and sis are lost so won't make it for the start.  This led to a mad rush to try and find my car as I now had no-one to hold my stuff.  Car found but when I got there (some distance from the toilets) I realised somewhere between the 2 I had dropped my new Ipod nano.  When I say new I have been saving for this since my MP3 player broke at Christmas and finally bought it last week.  I now felt very sick and was close to tears image

My friend headed to the start and I ran back to the loos and around a bit to try and find it with no success.  Then aware the race was about to start figured I should go ahead with the run (without music) as I figured no chance of getting it back so may as well raise some money for charity instead.

Somehow made it to the start and found my friend but was now very out of breath having sprinted about a mile.  Not quite the gentle warm up of stretches I had planned!

The route itself was beautiful.  Also a National Trust Park and part of it went through the woods.  Was very muddy and somehow I think they found all the hills in what I considered a flat venue so was a tough course to say the least.

Made it to the finish where my mum and sis now were cheering me on very enthusiastically and I managed a sprint finish which always makes me feel better.  There was no chip times given but luckily I had my nike plus so I was still able to time myself without the ipod.  I am absolutely delighted to report I made it round in 1 hour 3 mins which is 9.5 minutes off my PB.  I then went to enquiries to find some kind person had indeed found and handed in my ipod which I have now been reunited with.  All in all an extreemly happy ending image

LLB can I have some flap jack please I think I have earned it?

• Options

AF That is a great result.Off road is a whole different ball game and PB's aren't really applicable,and you can't really compare races.All you can do is note your time and try to improve if you run that course again.Just enjoy a competative run in the country.

LLB I have terrible trouble with typos too.I am dyslexic which doesn't help.I remember when i became religious and decided to worship Dog.Everyone laughed at me, so i decided i would become a devil worshiper instead, and i sold my soul to Santa. 

Hi Spagheti Legs.Welcome to the group.I'm sure you'll have loads of fun here.I'm doing an Autumn HM too.

All booked up for Blenheim HM on Oct 2nd.So i'll be concentrating on that for the next few months.

I managed to get 10 miles in today.A bit of a plod of 10:06 in 01:44:05.I could have pushed a lot faster,but i just wanted to concentrate on doing the miles and enjoying a slow run.Which i did.That's the first 10 miles since the marathon.In 2 weeks time i'll do 11 then 13.1 miles slowly,before revisiting 10 miles and adding a bit more pace to the mix.

For our Highclere weekend,my wife and i will probably pop up on Saturday for a bit of a social and then drive home that evening.Then back up for the race on Sunday,and have a bit of fun after.

• Options

Rachel,what a day,and what a result.That is a huge chunk off your PB.You'll be sub 60 before you know it.Sorry to hear that you had a stressful time before.That makes your result even better.Glad to hear you got your Ipod back too.The running community are a friendly and honest bunch,and it was always more likely to turn up than be pinched.You've definately earnt some quality cake today.

• Options

Well done AF and Rachel both good runs under the circumstances. Rachel  perhaps we should all try a fast mile before a race to get good times.

Well done on your run DJ that time is better than I did for 9 miles and I have been shattered all afternoon. No cake for me tonight too many fathers day treats.

• Options
    L2RAL2RA ✭✭✭
    Thanks DJ I have not been able to stop smiling.  TBH I think it made me run a bit quicker as I thought it might be in the car park and was anxious someone would drive over it if I didn't get round quick to look for it.  Was about 30 minutes after I finished before someone found it but the enquiries desk rang me to tell me they had it so I went back.  By this time I had found someone's glasses whilst searching for the ipod so handed them in 1 good deed deserves another.  The women on the desk seemed really pleased for me too.  Luckily the medieval fair was on in a different part of the park so I was heading there with my mum and sis for the day anyway as we used to enjoy it wen we were kids.  The battle re-enactment was ace image  All in all it turned out to be a great day and the weather picked up to.  It was still a bit windy but quite warm out and the rain stopped.
  • Options
    L2RAL2RA ✭✭✭
    Lol thanks Smut I would not recommend it I was shatterd before I started and I think people were torn between think I was insane or just a big show off doing a silly warm up.  Almost forgot Happy Father's Day to all the Dad's on here hope you have all been spoilt rotten image
  • Options
    RL-Great race report & great time & pleased to here that your I pod is safe.

DJ- Well done on your run. I will be doing some 10+ miles over the next few weeks. You are right about X Country I have done 3 races so far and this was in fact my 2nd best time.

Had a good fathers day & was given a book called "Born to Run". A sad irony after hearing about the death of Clarence Clemons Bruce Springsteens saxphonist. Feel really sad about that. RIP.
  • Options

Oh AF and Rachel, what great reports!

AF - that sounds like one really tough race and I think the time is brilliant! image

Rachel - What a day! So thrilled for you. your PB and ipod.

What about Ecky? Shall we wait for her or begin on the cake? Loula has flapjack so I've made a chocolate fudge cake. This is the real macoy, not some chocolate flavoured victoria sponge, but gooey and thick and rich with cream poured over the top. Also have some healthy blueberry muffins for those who would prefer and a lemon meringe (which I can never spell) pie. So tuck in! 

DJ - that sounds a good time to me too. And I've been talking to Coach Gobi over on the marathon thread and he reckons that most people run too fast most of the time. Only one run a week should be speedwork or fast time. The others steady, easy or down right slow.

Smut - glad you've been spoilt image

• Options
    L2RAL2RA ✭✭✭
    OOOOOOOOO can I have some chocolate cake please Chili?  Sounds yummy
  • Options
    loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭
    wow well done rachel an welcome to CRAC as a fully fledges member nowimage...good time too, it 'll get better and better im sure!!..AF, thats a time to be proud of too!!......*wheels in trolley laden with flapjack for all*image
  • Options
    Yes Rachel - i made it especially for you cos I remembered you liked Chocolate best! I've eaten too much of it though so I think I'll have a bit of Loula's flapjack with a coffee please. image
  • Options
    L2RAL2RA ✭✭✭
    Thanks Chili you are the best cake monitor ever!!!! imageimage
  • Options

*crawls in as is very pooped*  Hiya guys.I been Filey today to see the Bike Riders come back in.It was a very emotional moment watching them all ride in wearing Camerons Smile Shirts and knowing they had travelled 128 miles. I have done no running and have eaten lots of rubbish.

Mahooooooooosive well done to our racers today.You both did amazing.

Hi S.L you will like it here as everyone is lovely.

Anyone want munchies.I got Crispie cakes......Choc chip Muffins and Brownies.

• Options

Good Morning all!

Just going to catch up on what's been going on for a week.

Be back several hours later no doubt.

Jude

• Options

OK - so I skim read.  

Welcome Nikki and Spaghetti legs!   This is a great thread with lots of friendly peeps, the more the merrier!

Welcome back Saz.  I saw all your photos on facebook. What a beautiful wedding. Congratulations and wishing you a wonderful life together!

Rachel -  Well done on your race and your new PB.  That's a great chunck off your time.  Also read about you buying wine and needing to show ID.  May I ask how old you are?  That certainly would make me very happy but then I'm 41.image

Franny -  How on earth did you get into poledancing?  Can imagine it's lots of fun!!  Seems an unusual side line for a children's nurse.?

AF -  Well done on your race.  Like the others have said I don't think you should worry about your time for a x country.  Hope your foot feels better today.

LLB - well done on your super fast half.  You seem to get faster every run your do!

DJ - well done on your 10 mile run.  I agree with Chili about going slower for the LSR.  (see below)

Happy belated Father's day all you daddys out there.

Well I had a week away from here as I was getting a bit peeed off with myself having to admit to not running and wishing I could etc blah, blah, blah!  I had a crazy week at school.  The students have broken up now but us teachers have to work until the end of June.  Also my name was chosen out of hat to teach summer school for the last week in July.  (I was so angry about this as it is not in our contract)  Hopefully no children will sign up for it.  Anyway, work should ease off now and I should be able to run more.  I managed 4 miles on Saturday and 4.5 on Sunday.  The heat is getting to me a bit.  I wanted to do a long run on Sunday but I set off too fast and had to stopimage.  For this reason I'm going to try and run MUCH slower next time I do my LSR.

I have a 9K race on Sunday.  I was going to run with hubby but he may pull out as he has not been able to run much either over the last few weeks.  He has been trying to water all our new nectarine and pear trees and lugging huge water pipes and a huge pump in a wheelbarrow over all our land.  He loves it but it's hard work and he has to find time after his part time job and at weekends.

Anyway, I'm back now and I"ll try not to moan so much!

Hi to everybody I've missed!

Jude 

• Options

Morning all,

Gosh seem I missed all the cake last night image

Well done to AF on a good X country race and to Rachel on your PB especially after the nightmare of a start you had.It certainly was a challenge and a half. Hope you both have recovered.

Jude -Well done on your runs at the weekend. Shame about you having to work that week in July. Good luck for your forthcoming race on Sunday. I got a pole for my 40th Birthday and found I had a natural talent for it,so after a few lessons I was quite well advanced and did a course so as I could take hen parties/lessons. It was such a good laugh doing the hen parties. Don't do it anymore although do still have my pole and just do it for fun now.image

LLB - Sorry I missed your post yesterday re advice for marathon training. Oh my goodness an ultra I am very impressed. I found it quite hard training last winter but luckily I am a member of a gym so I did alot of my winter training on the treadmill. I had a base mileage of about 12 miles before the winter then gradually built up my distance every week so as I was up to 23/24 miles. Nutrition wise I use the isotonic Go Gels made by SIS. During the marathon I had my support team  to give me bananas/drinks/energy bars as needed. I was lucky to have my inlaws at mile 11 and then hubby and son at mile 16, 18 and 20.Also jelly babies are good. I was recommnded The Competitive Runners Handbook by Bob Glover and have found it very good for advice re training etc.

Hope everyone else is fighting fit this Monday Morning and raring to go.image

• Options
    I've just got to work (8am here) wouldn't say raring. But did go to body pump 5.30-6.30, so been up 3 hours already.
    Good times AF and RL, I would so not be disappointed with that AF. Really pleased for you that you got your iPod back Rachel.
    Morning everyone else.
  • Options

Hi all,

Well my race results have come through and I finished 52 out of 181. So a little happier as I managed to finish in the top 29% of finishers. I aim to be in the top 25% of finishers which I have done on on 4 out of 11 occssaions. Top 30% is my minimum standard for a race so I achieved that.

Jude Hi and good luck with yoru 9k race at the weekend. Seems very unfair that you have to work for a week in July and it's not in your contract. I hope you are remunerated adaquely for it?  

Hi Franny,Racehel,Angel,Smut,DJ,Saz,LLB,Ecky,Chilli etc........where is Spartak?

• Options
    loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭

thanks franny for the advice, i will look  into the gels, i havnt used them before but will experiment. for the ultra im gettting used to carrying a hydra pack as the event is going to be more self sustaining me thinks!! there are checkpoints but im not 100% if there is food etc...your mileage building sounded impressive..did you run alone or get people to train with you for part of mileage to relieve boredom?image

hi to everyone and well done AF!

YES, WHERE IS BOSS?

• Options

Hi all,

A bit late but today's tune is from one of the most amazing and unique bands around at the moment.If you haven't heard them,they are worth checking out.It's Arcade Fire with 'No Cars Go',taken fron their 2nd album 'The Neon Bible'.They do make a fantastic sound,and have produced 3 fantastic albums,the above mentioned,plus debut 'Funeral' and the latest 'The Suburbs'.

• Options
    Well today i've been cutting down bushes in the garden until rain stopped play.No run today.I'll have a short pacy one tomorrow.
  • Options

Evening

sunshine all day, I go out for a run and it begins to rain! So am wet again.

DJ - am listening to No Cars Go as I type. Nope have never heard of them before. Sounds pretty good though. image

Hi Jude - nice to have you back image Hope you and hubby manage the race on Sunday.

Angel - that is an early start

I miss Spartak too. image

Marathon training started today - 16 weeks to go. Actually this week is repeat of the previous few since I've been doing a base mileage of about 23 miles.

• Options
    loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭
    hi chili!! yikes are you up to 23 miles in one go already? thats amazing? how long did it take?image
  • Options
    No! Lol. Thats a weekly mileage of 23 miles. According to my plan my longest run will only be 22 miles. At present my long run is about 10.
  • Options

Evening.

I managed to get out for a 4 miler before the rain hit so I'm pleased with that. It was quite hard work because I've done so little training lately. I need to book a race so that I have something to aim for. Was looking at the BBCHM but it's on 2nd July and the most I've done is 10 miles so I don't think I'll be ready for that. I'll probably do the Wolverhampton HM in September instead.

Hope you are all ok. I'm off to make dinner - I'm starving! Pork stroganoff and rice, yum. Bye for a while.

• Options

Helloooooooooo. I really need to catch up again.

I miss Spartak too.

Well no running for me today as I have my 10k tomorrow starting 7.30. Im hoping it's not as hot as it was last year as it killed me. Im just worried as I have been eating junk all weekend.image

*bounces round the room* E numbers to make me all CARAYZEEEEEEEEEEE.

• Options

Morning all!

Good luck with your 10K Ecky!  What's the weather like there at the moment?  I spoke to my mum last night on the IOW and it is rainy and cool there.  Is it a x country 10K?

Good luck with your marathon training Chili.  How exciting!

AF - extra 90 quid for the whole week at work! (on top of holiday pay) not worth it.  Still praying no one signs up for it!

Angel - body pump at 5.30?  That's crazy!!!

Hi Franny, Saz, DJ, Rachel, Smut and everybody else.  We are missing Matt as well as Spartak, aren't we!

Have a good Tuesday!

• Options

Morning All,

My baby boy is 17 today. Where does the time go ??????????????

Out for  LSR in abit. Hope the rain stays off.

Good luck Ecky with the 10k. You will be great so don't worry.

Saz - Well done on your runs and hope you enjoyed your dinner.

Jude -  The weather today looking out my window is dull and looks like it will rain

Yeah where are Spartak and Matt?

Have  agood day everyone image

• Options

Just did 4 miles in the park next to kids' swimming pool.  Swimming training for eldest 2 kids changes to the morning during the summer.  I'm at school now but they are still there with their aunty.  (Thank god for her!)  Youngest child ( 4 years old) starts swimming lessons today too.  I wish I could be there to watch! He's keen to start but is a little bit wary of the water.

Happy Birthday Franny's son!

• Options

Hi Jude. It was very sunny yesterday then rainy at tea time. I'm hoping it's cool today as last year it was so hot when we did this race. It was such a struggle. It's not till 7.30. Its a road race and we finnish off at a Pub where we all get a free Burger and last year you got rice too so a good plate of food. Well done on your run too Jude.

Hi Franny.Happy Birthday to your Son. I bet it dont seem 2 mins since he was little. I hope he has a brilliant day or 3.

I need to up my training again  after these next too weeks.Im racing again tomorrow and then next Tues but I need to get back into HM  and Ultra training or I guna get left behind by Ikkle Loula.

Well done to everyones runs too.I have noticed some brill training of late.

Oh well I better get ready for work. TTFN.