Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• did my 2.4km swim yesterday morning and a 10km run this afternoon.. in rotten weather! glad they are done now.. still no outdoor cycling image its a bit of a pain having to keep the bike in the flat because if the weather is anyway bad the flat will get wrecked after!!! thats my excuse and i'm sticking to it anyway!!!!

7 days to brighton half.. can't wait! sunshine is forecast at the moment so wait and see.. not sure how much or how little to do this week... not going to do anything massive though! 

• Did my swim training I'm up to 10 LENGTHS imageimage get in image I know it's not much but three weeks ago could only manage one so making progress image did a couple of six lengths too all together 44 lengths image

Bootsie I would get out for two maybe three depending on weather short runs to keep legs ticking over 5k 10k 5k fast slow slow image good luck with race you sound in good shape for it. Don't forget race report image
  • JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    ST - your swimming is really coming along! Well done on that. Not sure how you are doing it, but when I had lessons they recommended I always do a few lengths with the kickboard and I think that has really helped my ability to keep going (mental note - I need to go back to the kickboard...).

UI - Thanks - again! I figure if I can do 2.5k comfortably, I'll be ok in the HIM, and I'm regularly doing more than 1.5k in training so assume I'll be ok in the Oly. I think I may take a rain check though and see how OW swimming goes. Am hoping tri club will have some sessions in April...

No training today for me so my totals for the week are:
    Swim: 3750m
    Bike: 44 miles
    Run: 5.5 miles (oops).

Should have done a run today but feeling a bit tentative on pushing up a notch, whilst also thinking I did well on the bike this week... But I fear I am coasting. I need a third swim in my schedule, more running and consistent longer rides. I didn't even do circuits this week.

Going out for a run in the morning though. It is supposed to be dry and I missed out on a lovely fresh morning on Friday, so want to make the most of one tomorrow.
  • hmmmm.........you're missing your strength work, don't neglect it. I did a long run today and went straight into a weights routine when I got back. Your swim and bike totals for the week were good though.
  • Mmm, strength work - deffinitely my weakest area (no pun intended!). Can't afford the ridculous price of the gyms around here. So have a few light weights. I guess if I actually used them it would be a start.image

ST - image wow, great swimming! You're not going to have any problems with that kind of progress.

Had hoped to do a bike ride today, but we had unexpected guests and it is just too dark, wet and windy to go now. Oh well, another day of rest before handling the bike is probably good for my mangled ar. The bruising has now reached a very impressive 20cm and the colours are quite eye-catching.

Do any of you live near Cheshunt, Herts? Would love to train with someone even if it was only occasional/one off.

• JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    UI - I was/am hoping that my week will be able to include a circuits and a bodypump class each week, which would make me feel like I had done enough on the weights. But do you think it is better to do it straight after a run or a ride? And should I do more than a couple of hours a week?

I could probably try and work something out. I did manage to get to my circuits class on the bike the other week, so I cycled, circuited and cycled a bit more. It was good, but logistically challenging. Still, I suppose I didn't come into this because it was easy...

Chili - 20cm of bruising?!?! Yowsers! I'd be inclined to take another day or two...? Doesn't it hurt? A bruise that big is surely going to be sensitive? I'm wincing just at the thought of it!
  • I'm no where near Chilli I'm in mids else I would cause could do training partner myself image that's why I've joined Tri club £15 for the year image hoping to get some support and training with them. This year for me is about training to do the distance then booking some races enjoy and complete not compete image then hopefully build from there.
  • Had a dismal weekend - I ended up doing nothing. Excuses include waking up with a sore throat, couldnot be bothered to get out of bed, fitting in other commitments,the rain, went to TCR Show on Sunday at Esher- neighbour did the driving.
    But I did sit on a ladies road bike to try it out, OK until asked if I could reach the brake levers, which I discovered was still pretty painful but now dreaming of how wonderful it would be. Mr Steady relieved I came home without it, but has agreed that if I get a new bike he will make room for it in the garage.

Feeling better today will report later.

• steady TCR was really good wasn't it!

I need to add in some core work too.. will do some work on pilates i think and taht will help!

gotta get on the bike, whether it be outdoor or turbo training.. just wished i lived in an area that was better lit for cycling in the nevenings!! 

• Bootsie the nevenings are dark here to lol imageimage sorry couldn't help myself image

Steady go get that bike will cheer you up image
  • easily amused ST!!!

very annoying though living out in the sticks.. can't do a whole lot.. I have good lights on the bike but just not keen on the idea of cycling the lanes in the dark still ! 

• I live in sticks to Bootsie which is great for hilly lanes and for off road running. I agree though not so good for training in the dark image although did my fastest 10k one night in the dark kept hearing noises coming from hedges which made me up my pace image didn't fancy being chased by a fox image
  • Glad to report 1 hour on bike done, as the sun was shining I had the door open to the garage and did not feel a chill.

Now off to ice the wrist and pop some more pills.

• Nice one Steady, I got out this morning on my bike. It was lovely one and a half hours done image run planned for tomorrow after work. Defiantly putting an extra swim in this week somewhere.
  • what time does it get dark now in the evenings? I reckon there's an outside chance I could be home before 5... any chance of getting out on the bike then
  • JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

It's just before 6pm right now and it's completely dark. I reckon you'd be best getting back home by 5.30pm. I aimed for that when I cycled to work last week and it was as dark as I was comfortable with at that time.

Well done on the bike rides this morning people! I managed a 6 mile run which was a bit of a chore for the first half but nice for the second half. Kept having random bursts of rain! Lovely and sunny morning though. The rainbows, as well as the snowdrops and crocusses, were out!

Am toying with the idea of doing nothing else but run this week, just for a bit of a confidence boost. But I know I'll then worry about everything else! Plus I have turned into a bit of a fairweather runner too, and if it looks like rain, I'll just go for a swim.

Anyway, I'll worry about that later. Right now I'm off home for some romantic pizza and maybe a little gift from my loved one. I heard him with the sellotape past night!

Happy Valentines Day everyone! x x x

• JEvaNs it's Valentines day everyday in my house imageimage

I prefer running in the rain it's the wind that's killiing me at the moment it always seems to be a head wind image

• Valentine's dinner for 1 for me! My wife is on a school trip!

Have been for a quick 25min run though - don't usually have time on a Monday.

I agree with you on the wind ST - no matter how much i try, i never seem to get used to it and it's always windy here on the Fylde coast! Always in my face, never pushing me along. How does it know?image

• Evening everyone

Am very envious of those who went to the show over the weekend. Really wanted to go but had other stuff in the diary - and I don't have any money and I would have seen all sorts of stuff I wanted.

Hope your wrist is okay this evening Steady.

I've been out on the bike too. Did the school and nursery run this morning on the Town Bike. Then did 10 miles of hills on the Hybrid at lunchtime. It is my Smidgey girl's birthday today. She is four. So have also fitted in making a pink fairytale castle birthday cake, housework, a party, more housework and have just done a run of nearly 5 miles. Didn't take my watch and just enjoyed the run.

The bike was a bit uncomfortable on my arm - mainly going over the bumps which vibrated through the handle bars. Am still in two minds about swimming tomorrow. I don't have full movement in the elbow which means i won't be able to do front crawl. Could manage breast stroke but wondering if it would be too much strain. Guess I shoudl probably give it a miss. And yes, the bruise does hurt if anyone pokes it, but otherwise it looks worse than it feels.

Mmm, need to find some more food I think. And a bath.

Night, night everyone.

• I'm lucky enough to be able to cycle in the day - so yesterday I cycled from my Mum's house in Farnham to mine in Sarfeast London, across the Downs and the outskirts of London, which came to about 55 miles. Got in at about 5, just before dark.

I felt surprisingly okay, and I don't ache today, but although it was a beautiful day it was pretty cold - which wasn't so bad when I was moving, but meant I got cold very quickly when I stopped for a break. I also get the most horrendous post-exercise chills. I just had to bundle myself up with a hot water bottle and a mug of coffee under a duvet for a couple of hours.

Sounds like you should give swimming a miss, Chilli, unless you have a kickboard and could do some light leg practice?

• JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

Yersinia - you have some bike skills there, don't you!?!? I'm jelous! I wouldn't even know where to begin to even think about a route that was 55 miles long, let alone actually do one. And if I cycled that far to my mum's house I think she'd tell me off for making her worry so much... image

Nothing for me today. Legs seems a bit sore from yesterdays run still (I'm so out of shape on my running!) and I won't really have time. I have a lot of preparation to do for an interview on Friday so will have to do some juggling to make sure I get evertyhing in this week. Probably do another run tomorrow morning, and maybe make sure I get to circuits too, though that means I have no evening for prep.

Looking forward to parkrun this weekend, but have knocked the idea of 10 mile race on the head. I will however make sure I do get out for a decent length run. Which means my swimming is probably Thursday morning this week, and more than likely, just the one session. Oh dear. Bad week and it's only Tuesday!

• My mum is used to my cycling, though she does nag me about not wearing a helmet.

It's just as well I can cycle, cos my running is not much faster than a brisk walk, and my swimming is mediocreimage. I couldn't claim that I cycled particularly fast yesterday, just keeping up a nice easy pace so I could cover the distance. 

I intended a swim today, but my rear hub and gears were feeling ropey yesterday, and I was worried I had cracked bearings from  taking the bike offroad too much. So I've had to dismantle the bike and give everything a thorough clean. Fortunately, the bearings are fine, and it just seems to be an excess of mud in the gear train. But it takes a long time to clean, and now I've noticed I need new brake blocks too.Gah!

So there might be a change of plan, walking out to a Halfords at the beginning of one of my run routes, and having a bit of a trot instead of a swim.

• Yersinia - mighty impressed with the cycling, you must have found a few hills on the way as well.
    Also impressed by your ability to dismantle bike, I need to find a bike maintenance course, as hopeless, I rely on Mr Steady but before ever knowing him I had a motorbike and could do routine things with that so can't be that bad really, just not confident in doing things right/safely.

I can understand your mum worrying about lack of helmet, but everyone has their own opinion. I wear one,  but it could be said I need to protect myself as much as possible due to my clumsiness.

Today I went for a private rehab session for the wrist, as 20 mins a week with NHS physio is only making slow progress. In one hour a more detailed assessment and loads of little exercises/ manipulations and massage, my fingers and wrist feel better but still some pain, with more movement possible and she explained why certain bits are misbehaving and what to expect as it gets better. Well worth the money, but not sure I can afford to go as much as she would like.

• Yersinia sounds like you have a nice route to your mums how did you get back?

JEvaNs that's half the battle finding a nice route of distance that can loop where you live so not to far from home at any one time. Might take my car out for a nice run/route plan.

No run for me today cause have athletes foot between my little toe looks and feels like it's gonna fall off image got some cream today so hoping to re plan my run for tomorrow image I know Chilli I'm a wuss can't run cause of my little toe but your running and biking with your arm in pieces imageimage lol
  • Blimey Yersinia - don't underestimate a 55 miler! I seem to remember its quite hilly round there too, near the Hogs Back? Visited an old friend from Uni who lived near Farnham a few years ago (was it Burpham she used to live? anyway) - toured round a bit, went to Devils Punchbowl is it called? I'm a long way from there now, up here in sunny Blackpool!
  • Heh. I'd gone to Mum's by train, and stayed over the weekend, then cycled home on Monday.

It is moderately hilly - the stickiest being a 16% east of Dorking, which is where my hub started misbehaving, though the 12% near Riddlesdown also gave me problems, as I was beginning to get tired.

Devil's Punchbowl is nice - there are lots of lovely lanes for cycling in that area, and my sister used to work near Burpham.

CJ - I'm sure if you could do maintenance on a motorbike, a push bike should be easy peasy. I've been doing it pretty much all my life.

I got my brake pads and some lube from Halfords, and went for my trot. But it started to rain, so instead of walking home afterwards, I ran to get into the dry, and ended up doing 7km.

Ridiculously, 7km of running is probably more of an achievement for me than 55 miles of cycling.

• Sorry Yersinia didn't realise you had got the train to your Mums. image

Just had email from my local Tri club, they have arranged to use the local race track Mallory Park on a Thursday night 7-9 for bike training which should be fun. No pot holes on there imageimage
  • And you can make motor racing noises as you speed round!image

I don't suppose I'd said how I got to mum's. I go down by train every few weeks, but next time I'm thinking of reversing this weekend's effort - I'll cycle there and be able to use my unused return half of Friday's ticket to get home.

See, this cycling silly distances even saves me money!

• Wow Yersinia -I too am in awe of your 55 miles and bike maintence skills (I don't think I could even tell you where the bearings are!)

ST - Lol. Hope your toe doesn't fall off completely image

Jevans - sorry to hear your week has gone pear shaped already.

No swimming today. My arm is actually hurting more today than it has done all weekend image So I've been good and not trained. Hope it's better tomorrow. 

Steady - very wise getting another opinion and I really hope it helps. But they are expensive aren't they?! Last year i had a non-running problem with my knee and went straight to a physio. I knew the doctor would give me pain killers and tell me to rest, which I had no intention of doing. The physio diagnosed the problems and gave me treatment to heal it which it did. So I'm a great fan of private physios even though you have to pay!

Bye for now. Off to sort out my little girlies - i wonder if they've put their clothes away?