Options

Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Options

DB even I am happy with a girlie turbo at present.

Yes,  good question Chili, Cat what race are you doing? Is it a duathlon?

• Options
    Well done DB, a little is better than nothing but take care, as for me ive done nowt for 10 days due to bad chest and the snots, im hoping to get out for a run on Saturday all being well.
  • Options

Get well soon Razor.

Saturday is a sprint Du 5k run/20k bike/5k run at Dorney lake. Using it as a tune up for the Althorp Du in 2 weeks..

• Options

Cat, wot info u got on Saturdays Du. If I get a chance, I might come along and hurl some abuse! You know, "get a move on you fat shite, why are you riding a shopper, call that running?" sort of stuff. If you would like me to, that is!

• Options
    Dustboy wrote (see)

Cat, wot info u got on Saturdays Du. If I get a chance, I might come along and hurl some abuse! You know, "get a move on you fat shite, why are you riding a shopper, call that running?" sort of stuff. If you would like me to, that is!

Please - come along! Kick off is 0930 at the cheap end of Dorney. If you don't get there until 1045 it might be over... There is a burger van image

• Options

10.45? 'Ave a larf. Doubt you'll be at T1 by then!image ROFLMAO!

Is that the usual end near the clubhouse that human race uses?

Gonna be cold, will you be pirated up?

I'll see what I can do.

• Options
    It'll be at the other end of Dorney. Full PSOF regalia.
  • Options

so now wondering whether midfoot or forefoot would be better to try to transition to after looking at a few things on the internet.

• Options

maths - dont try to decide on either - what feels best at the time, i run forefoot (right up there on my toes) for distances up to about 10 to 13 miles but after that my form 'drops' to mid foot, in an ultra i try to start with mid foot from the start so to save my calves. Its all bullocks anyway, heels striking is only bad if your heel strikes in front of your centre of gravity and these tribes that have been studied - its now been found that lots of them dont land on their forefoot at a cruising speed but are mid foot strikers. im not sure what you have read on the net so im probably telling you stuff you already know.

Also my strike alters with speed, once i get under about 6mph its more of a mid foot and going over 12mph for sprints is definately on the toes - i actually crossed the line of a recent half mara at 16mph on my toes overtaking a load of people on the finish straight, got a nice round of applause for that image

• Options

16mph????image I am lucky to get around 5mph. I certainly wasn't built for speed

well, I think next week I am going to start going outdoors again and try to do what feels natural and see what happens!

• Options

I agree with Doner, and I go on to forefoot when doing the dash for the finish line, its the onlytime I go fast.

I am having another rest day today, felt tired all day and coughing quite a bit. Annoyingly I can be OK for an hour then coughing every 5 mins then OK for a while. A work colleague said there is a bug going around nicknamed the 100 day cough for obvious reasons, hope its not that.

I am going to skip the masters swim session in the morning, but depending on how I feel may go for a little swim later on.
    My important task for Sunday is, tail runner/sweep for a race organised by my club, the route is very, very muddy and have been advised to wear wellies to do the walk in. Its on the route of a race from last year and that was disgustingly muddy so I know they are not joking about needing wellies. My wellies are dark green low cut ladies ones, so hope they come high enough up to keep my feet dry.

• Options

steady - hopefullly the walk on Sunday will clear your cough a bit, but wrap up warm.

I have a training day with the tri coach from the club - she is running a 'long distance training day' focusing on nutrition and injury prevention. Hopefully I will get the chance to have a chat about running form with her. She is pretty experienced and sensible and a similar age to me so should have some good advice

well, pretty tired so going to make some beef enchilladas and chill out as soon as we can pack the kids off to bedimage

• Options

Wow MC - you are going to be an expert with all these training days! I'll be coming to you for tips.

10mile run this eve. Was lovely. Haven't run that distance in quite a while and I feel very happy and chilled at doing so. I think 10-15 miles is probably the distance I enjoy running the most.

• Options

OMG, went out for dinner last night, I am such a lightweight for drinking now. 2 large glasses of wine and I was happily giddy and falling asleep.
    Housework this morning is proving to be harder than I remember, think someone nicked my energy last night.
    Swimming is going to be binned in favour of an afternoon nap. The only exercise of any sort today will be pushing the hoover around.

• Options

chili - it is one thing getting lots of knowledge, it is another totally to put it into practice and getting your body to do what you know it should!!

steady - I can't drink at all anymore, so just don't even try

I need to have a big clear out....but I hate throwing things awayimage

• Options

oh, and the running felt a bit better on the treadmill today, I think I possiblyt wasn't up on my toes as much as the other day. did 30 mins of walk 2/run2image

• Options

Fun hurling abuse at cat5 today, he did bloody well though. Tough, cold and windy conditions. Looked quite a nice morning out otherwise.

• Options

Oh Well Done Cat! We look forward to a race report. Haven't had one of those for a while image

I was soooo cold this morning despite the sunshine. Was race director at Parkrun but the planned family bike ride was changed in favour of the swimming pool. Am pretty pleased with my training this week... feel like I'm getting back on track.

• Options

What DB said! image

Eton Dorney Du - Race1 report

Strangley the past couple of days I've woken up early, bang - wide awake. Same again today. Porridge straight on to cook and kettle boiled for tea. Porridge eaten with cinnamon and raisins. I don't really like porridge after the IM training, but it does the job. Some water to wash the tea down then got dressed.

I knew it was going to be cold so had a short sleeve base layer under the pirate top, and mmy trusty 2XU LD tri shorts. I'd bought some running gloves during the week too.

Got to Dorney, registered (#3) and put stickers on everything. Instead of a proper ankle chip we had a 'dibber' to stick to our finger. Each stage would have a marshall to put the dipper into a socket. That would slow things down.

A quick spin around the course (5km) proved that the outbound bike would be fast with smooth tarmac and downwind, but the return bike on the farm road in to wind would be hard. At the beginning of the spin I tried to mount with the shoes already attached having spent a few hours before sorting this. Unfortunatey the socks I had on got stuck to the velcro on the shoes. Change of plan needed...

Racked the bike, then went for a lap of the run course (2.5km). Again, the wind would be fun. Managed to keep the lid in the effort for the in-to wind return run. Time was ticking on so took trackies and jacket off to start. Armwarmers and sunnies on.

I lined up on the second row at the start and GO! we're off. I had some idea of the pace I wanted and was aiming for ~21 minutes for the first run. Lost a load of places in the start melee, but soon settled down and started to recoup places. 2 laps of the run course were needed. It quickly became clear I would break 20 minutes for 5km - first time ever. And it didn't feel too hard. I'd chosen to run without socks and I could feel some rubbing. Ran in to T1 to find the course was slightly long - 5.15km in 20:15.

T1 was over in 42s - shoes off, helmet on, drink, run. Got to the mount line and threw myself on the bike, managed to get my feet in to the pre-attached shoes OK too. image 4 circuits needed. Each lap the downwind leg was ~45 kph and the in to wind dropped to ~30 kph. Tight turn at the top end on mud image. Managed to stay in the top ring, but on the return legs could feel the legs building to cramp so eased off a bit. Came towards T2 and took feet from shoes, but the lack of socks meant my feet were cold and I couldn't feel them. Bike 33:48 for 20km.

T2 done in 43s.

Last run - the cramps that I kep away on the bike started to creep in on the run. Little stabs every 5s or so. Took a good km to run it out, then I could ramp the pace. 2 laps of the 2.5km course in to very strong wind. It felt a lot harder this time - but Dustboy's support made me laugh, though I may not have shown it. Finally across the line after 21:27, making 1:16:55 in total.

Grabbed a cup of gatorade from the finish. It was mixed like treacle and burnt my throat, so I struggled to talk for a few minutes. No idea on placing yet as the machine went down during the race...

All in all a bloody good race. What made the day was the wide group of competitors - people doing the supersprint (2.5/10/2.5), or the sprint like me (5/20/5). People on mountain bikes, people on expensive tri bikes. People sprinting people walking. It was a great sight, Especially people running in bike helmets image

• Options

Thanks Chili! You're running strong. Haven't broken the 10 mile barrier since boxing day. Must get back out there.

Now sat here with my first pint for weeks. I'm a lightweight like Steady too. Feeling a bit wobbly.

Thanks also to the other Pirate that turned up on a bike to support. Could have been Rafi - wasn't paying too much attention to the scenery...

• Options

Well done IronCat, good report, feeling a bit miffed that my Du is out of the question, but know that I couldnot have done it. Enjoy the pint.

Kit is laid out for the morning, base layer, jacket, thermal tights, thick socks, wellies and hat and gloves. Well I will be hangning about at the start for a while and don't want to get cold, I can de-layer as necessary.

Does this lack of drinking mean we are all proper athletes.

• Options

image WhooHooo. Well done Cat!!! Sounds a great day and lots of fun despite the wind.

• Options

well done cat, sounds tough but funimage

steady - hope you manage to stay warm it is freezing out there

• Options
    Nice one Cat, well done on your PB
  • Options

Thanks all! Results are in:

IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

25th overall, 16th male senior. Last year the same time would have been 15th overall.  I have emailed for the breakdown for 35-39 AG.

I feel a bit dissapointed, though it was a tough field. Winner was Hugh Mackenzie, who is an Elite.

• Options

Well done indeed IronCat.

I have squelched and slid and slithered around a very muddy course as sweep/tail runner. The only running I did was a 50m jog on a less muddy section. It made last years race at the venue look dry. Everyone was plastered in mud and one junior lad came flying in to the finish carrying one of his shoes, running as if he always ran in thick mud with only one shoe on.  Even the XC captain reckoned it was worse than any of their league races. The mud at one point was so deep it went over the top of my wellies.image

Operation Outlaw Half restarts tomorrow with a rest day.

• Options

Goodness Steady! that sounds some race!

Rest day for me today. Have trained 6 days this week which is pretty good for me. Hopefully I'll be able to keep it up.

• Options

Have done a double! 12 miles bike this morning, 5 mile run this evening image And I went out on the road bike. I think I deserve a sticker!

• Options

image sticker for Chili.

I have rest day done, will stretch a bit later. Only news I have, is that from April 1, I can claim mileage allowance if I cycle to and from work, which I cannot presently. Just need the weather to improve in April and I might give it a go.