Options

Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Options
    MrsDigger (aka sicknote) wrote (see)

oh dear JP - man flu? 

I'ts not that serious yet image

Good luck for Sunday Steady, Chilibean, I am often overtaken by 11 year olds at parkrun looking as fresh as daisy's while I'm sobbing, sweating and dribbling my way round, come to think of it its not just kids its most age groups image
  • Options

image Man flu

*runs off to the hills*

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Another short lunch time run. Garmin wan't working properly though and didn't record distance or time. Could that be due to thick cloud cover?  I fully charged it before the run as well. Arms aching from TRX yesterday but so far done something every day this week. Tomorrow's circuits I think...

• Options

Glad you all enjoyed the report it is my first and only one to date.

Steady, the docklands really werent too bad. Granted a few times I could taste either oil or petrol which wasnt too nice. My fault for swimming without closing my gob image.

Best of luck to all competing on Sunday, I can't wait to read your reports..image

Man Flu is savage so please treat with caution JP.

Mikasa, I have found that they can struggle to pick up coverage with cloud coverage so have stopped using them years ago. TRX sessions are great fun not done one in ages.

I manged to get to the gym this morning to throw some steel around first time in a number of weeks due to all the tri training. I had to stick to the pink weights image. 5 mile run this evening nothing fast as my legs are still feeling a little heavy- frustrating as I have had two days of 100% no training.

Good luck with the circuits!

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

Argh it is so hot here it is impossible to do much although we have done a lot of walking. It is normally around 25 degrees in this area but has been up to 37 today. 

MrsD you will be great I will be cheering you on from over here and you too steady. 

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Enjoy not being able to do much MC.

I came home full of good intentions. Put the saddle up on the hybrid to make it much more comfortable and go for an hour long ride.

No, the saddle stem is stuck solid, can't budge it, so go to plan B, take road bike out instead.

No, looked at that, totally flat back tyre. Had my first go at unaided tyre change, bit messy but accomplished. No sign of damage to inner tube but found 2 tiny sharp bits in tyre (curses to the surface dressing on the road in the area). Pumped up inner tube no obvious hole, so put it back and managed to get the tyre on. It has been pumped up and at the moment is holding pressure. Luckily I spotted it today and not Saturday evening when putting bike in car ready for racing.

Plan C, wash hybrid and clean chain and lube it. Plan C done and dusted. I will wait for Mr Steady to come in from work and get him to look/adjust the saddle.

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

Steady I would give the road bike a quick ride to make sure the tyre and inner tube are both going to hold out for Sunday you don't want a DNF because of a mechanical

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Yep, good idea MC, awaiting Mr Steady's return any minute, plus I still need to put the wheel back on the bike, I just quickly stuffed the turbo wheel on.

• Options

Mrs D, tapering drives you up the wall, if you can't run then go for a swim or go for a ride at a leisurely pace, just doing something is better than going stir crazy. image

I seem to have super human powers at the moment, last 2 park runs I PB'd, 40 seconds and 37 seconds respectively, Monday ran 5.5 miles with Horse at an avg pace of 9'04" and tonight I ran 4.5 miles at an avg pace of 8'44" , I feel great and really strong, I think doing the Outlaw has told me that I can push myself to limits I didn't think I could reach, I can't wait for the Salford Tri on August 18 th now, going for the Olympic distance so I really want to "smash it" as Cat would say. image

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Razor - fab results, looks like your training is really working!

Kritter - it took me a week to recover from my first tri, and it was only a sprint! Same happened after my first half mara (obviously I don't recover quickly...) Just give it some time.

• Options

Wow Razor you is fast image I feel like a snail image 40 min swim working on the arms and 47 min run (was meant to be 45 but took me a little longer to get going tonight).

MC will you be back for the England tri OW session at HH? 10th August?

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

I needed to do another inner tube change, oh well good practice and have convinced Mr Steady that I need to be able to do these things as outside help in a race is not allowed, he had not realised that important point.

Test ride tomorrow as it was getting too late to go out tonight.

oops, its nearly tomorrow already better get to bed.

• Options

lol...I'm laughing at all your southerners complaining about the heat...I sit here in Aberdeen looking out at the gray sky with gray drizzle coating the gray buildings and wonder what it would be like to be too hot to train...

Everyone seems to be really doing well and getting some great times and results.

Steady - your inner tube change training just reminds me of the cliched scenes in films where the hero strips down a gun and rebuilds in super fast time...while blindfolded...and loud rock music plays in the back ground...while the sargent (Mr Steady?) looks on approvingly...lol

• Options

Buttercup no we don't come back till the 11th. Just a warning that Nottingham station is closed for the summer so if you are going you might want to cycle or take the car. I have got everything set up for the Thursday swim smooth squad sessions though image

• Options

Pixie whenever I've been with the mother-in-law I've found pushing her wheel chair quite good cross training if any help. You will be fine for the boar kid. Just don't t*ss if off when you get back from your well deserved holiday. image

I've got my first ultra in about 17 years tomorrow because sarah fanced doing one. This could ever be fun or painful? Will let you know Monday. image

• Options

Anyone swimming at MB tonight? I will be there since armaggedon hasn't arrived image

• Options

Cake - good luck for you and Sarah tomorrow which one are you doing?

Went in the sea again but didn't swim.....

• Options

Biked to Bossie swam in the lake biked home.  Met Piratey person in lake - assumed it was JB sorry if it wasn't my goggles were a bit foggy image.  Did not swallow the lake too much tonight. 1.7 km in 52 mins image would explain why I felt like I could do another small lap.  

Came home icecream and melon for tea (medicinal).  Bike to Bossie was hard - head wind and stinking hot! Garmin says it was 30 but it felt hotter!!  

Wow Cake what a supportive hubby you are!! Let us know how it goes - if you move your hands across the keyboard image

• Options

Sarah, Cake good luck on your Ultra.

• Options

Wow Razor - Great results!

Cake - enjoy your Ultra

Well done to those training

Pete it was low 30's in London today. Took my youth group in for a day trip tot he museums. We spent the morning in the Science museum and then spent the afternoon in a quiet park sitting under a tree playing card games. Was simply too hot to do anything else. Was a lovely day though.

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Good luck Sarah and Cake on the ultra.

Chili, sounds like a good idea with your group, it was so hot this afternoon. The open window at work just blew in hot air.

Road bike tested and ready for Sunday, hybrid saddle sorted. It needed Mr Steady's strength to get the bolt undone and now feels OK.

My voice has returned which is very handy as trying to do one to one training with a husky voice is not much fun.

• Options

All the best for tomorrow Steady. Hope you have a great day.

Just back from 10 mile run. I'm having a cut back week so that's the longest run this week and it felt so easy.

Happy Friday every one!

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Happy Friday indeed! Can't wait to finish work at 2.

Was too tired to go to training yesterday lunch time and was out of a lift anyway.Weekend will probably be busy again with packing and stuff so won't get any extra exercise in.

Cake - was your ultra today or at the weekend? Good luck and hope it goes well for both of you!

Steady - have a good race tomorrow!

• Options

No luck wished for you Mrs D, Steady and Cake - you wont need it!! JFDI image 

Am dragging husband to Bossie tomorrow morning for a swim and so he can enjoy the wilds and charms of the shire's early morning.  I am the bestest wife. Ever.

• Options

Of course you are Buttercup image

ok, so I'm nervous as hell. Non wettie swim and a very quick race. Hey it's my birthday... What could go wrong?

have managed to kind of taper Mr Razor. Find it difficult though. Hark at you by the way, speedy! 

Hope the hols good Maths. 

enjoy the race Cake and Bookie, the things we do for love eh!

• Options

Happy Bday Mrs D!! Just breathe and you'll be all good! Eyes on the prize mrs! I may have been rumbled tho' on the husband front he's just realised that it will be a five oclock alarm - now not as keen image

• Options

I have been in the hell that is man flu for the last few days image

But happily am feeling much better today image

Off to the big smoke tomorrow for the London 100 bike fight, looking forward to a mini holiday.

Happy birthday Mrs D image

Have a great swim Buttercup, just tell the hubby there's free bacon sarnies after the swim, I tell myself that to get me up on a Sat morn

Hope everyone has an ace weekend racing, training, tapering or resting image

• Options

JP go hard! Those hills are your friends image