Options

Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Options

Nah JP you were fine it was me going hmmm it's later than usual when I got out and I have stupidly no lights on the bike I need to go now.  Usually I have enough light to get home in plenty of time! Best incentive to go faster have to say took like 3 or 4 minutes off my time even tho' I had swum longer!  Am nicking husbands lights on Thursday!!

• Options

Thanks all, I managed 1 OW swim in wetsuit about 2 months ago and haven't swum since image .

I had all the best intentions of getting up early and going for a swim - bike this morning.  But one tidy garden and tip run later I don't think it's going to happen.  This evening is an open air concert and picnic a couple of hours away - so won't happen this afternoon either. 

I think Mrs WS and little WSs will have to fend for themselves over the next two weeks, I can feel evening swims coming on - even if detour from work to get htem in.  OR does anyone know of waterproof headtorches so I can swim at night image

• Options

Forgot to say I bought the wrong wetsuit for the right reasons - it zips from top to bottom - apparently easier to get off.  There is a problem though, I can't zip it up, for some reason I can't turn my head through 270 degrees and bend my arms far enough round.  DOH!

• Options

JP I had the best intentions of swimming twice a week, only 15 minutes from a decent swimming beach, but just hasn't happened all year.

EP I'm trying (those that know me, very trying - ask KK)

All the best to you in the Wild Boar, will post my failure to train again tomorrow

• Options

I have butt cream image the one mentioned by EP! 

Come on Smurf boy! If you can get 2 weeks regular training sessions in you're more likely to continue (or so they say). Break it down and ensure you reward yourself somehow to build the positive vibes! JFDI!!!!!!!!! 

Ok peeps, keep me updated of your Boar prep. I like the sound of these mini programmes!

Buttercup as per usual putting in the quality work. You put me to shame short one image

Hope you're not too sore Chili... Big doings to be done! Love that your girlies train with you.

OH came out on the bike with us this morning. Put me to shame - I hate men. Has reinforced the need for many more miles on the bike. Left me feeling a bit pants if honest. Have to turn that round and man up a bit! 

Watched a bit of the Cotswold Classic and heckled some pirates! Wicked!

• Options

Mrs D I was struggling up a hill yesterday with the wetsuit in the backpack and these guys just blew past me like I was standing still made me feel awesome image

• Options

My favourite is always being passed by OAP's up hills. Who give you a cheery 'morning' and you can't reply because you can't breathe! image

• Options

That's them... Should be banned from the roads! image Peter Ian Stakers!

• Options

Afternoon all, have skim read all the posts, so much good work, shopping, moisturising and philosophising (?) going on.

Welcome to smurf, hushed tone, I enjoy the swimming training, give it a go, the quiet, the rhythm the concentration on technique, honestly once you get into it you might just enjoy it.

Have had really fun weekend was involved in a tetrathlon challenge at work,  (we added dressage as alot of our staff ride and wouldnt run if their life depended on it)the equine vets took on the small animal vets for clic sargent the kids cancer charity. posted a second place in the pool (400m in 9mins a bit disappointed) but won the cycling (yippee at beating all the blokes on expensive bikes) and really enjoyed buddying a new runner over the final 5k. 

£1500 raised lots of staff bonding and a few people intending to carry on training for other events.image

Marks the countdown to wye on tri at the end of Sept, anyone else doing that event?

• Options

I will not pass comment on swimming as I haven't been for about a year. . . image

Today was an 11 mile trail run over the eastern black mountains just 3 hours 30 and about 1,200m of climbing. Happy days.

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Welcome Smurf, you can do it, or at least do what training is possible and give it a go on race day. I am the same as EP and failed at Outlaw Half.

Mrs Digger, I went out this afternoon on the bike with Mr Steady who insists on riding behind me. At least I know I leave him for dead on downhills, it is those pesky up ones that I end up going really slow on. 13 miles at 12.4 mph, so not bad for having had a week off, and I did coast down the hills on the way home, as I was feeling tired.

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Well done on getting the last long run done Chilli.

Emsi, that sounds like a great event.

Oh and for anyone still wanting advice on which chamois cream to use, I use Chamois Butt'r or Udder cream. For any chafing after my choice is Bepanthen.

• Options

Nice run Eco. Very jealous.

Family parkrun yesterday. Mrs didn't PB as she paced my daughter to a 2.5km PB. I did lap them both image Bimble on the bike yesterday afternoon to the inlaws for cake and dinner.

80km on the bike today. Nice.

• Options

morning all

I am home now and got out for a run this morningimage did run/walk as I thought that would be easier and better for my knee. Managed 5 miles in an hour, the running bits were hard but felt good

smurf - get a few swims in before your tri and you will enjoy the event that much more!

never used any butt cream but maybe I shouldimage never really had any chafing issues but then I haven't been doing any mega rides either

MrsD - yeah I hate it when that happens too. Either get him to be nice and go at a pace you can manage or train separately would be my advice. He can be competitive and fast with other men!

• Options

Nice one IronCat, Great going Matchstick sounds like the knee is holding up nicely, Steady I've been on savlon since the london-Surrey, I think the ride back from Bozzy with a wet bum was my downfall, Udder cream on order.

Wild Boar mini plan started today at 6am with a 40 min swim with drills, 20mile bike planned from work today, then Bike-Run tomorrow, Wed, Bike-swim, hopefully the plan will continue image,

I have plans on a kettle bell class and joining local tri club, I think I'm taking it far too serious image

• Options
    Wrinkly Smurf wrote (see)

Forgot to say I bought the wrong wetsuit for the right reasons - it zips from top to bottom - apparently easier to get off.  There is a problem though, I can't zip it up, for some reason I can't turn my head through 270 degrees and bend my arms far enough round.  DOH!

A lot of people have problems zipping up there wetties sounds like you have the same one my better half has can you not just get someone else to zip you up before you get in the water? Sure some passerby walking there dog won't mind?

image I did a lot of cross training in a mosh pit this weekend at a heavy metal festival. Would anyone mind if I don't swim tonight I feel a little delicate.

• Options

image Not with the amount of laugerbombs I drank yesterday. image I throught Skeggie was next weekend?

• Options

Welcome Smurf - great to have you join us. We are very good at kicks out the door so feel free to come on here for a bit of mojo boost anytime image

5 mile run this morning with 3 girls in tow on their bikes (hubby and Smidge are away for the week). And I'm delighted to say not a peep from my ITB so am fully expecting the 2 week taper to solve any problems.

JP - that sounds very serious! image

Emsi and Seal - sounds like you both had a fantastic weekend.

Cake - I take it you did too? image Hope you feel better soon.

MrsD - I belong to the local U3A group (am their youngest member by at least 20yrs) and they have a cycling club. I can't keep up with their 'moderate' ride. All gents in their 60's and 70's riding mountain bikes on the road and leave me waaayyyy behind on my hybrid. image

• Options
    The Evil Pixie wrote (see)

steady on now JP! Is it 1485 you are joining?

No EP, its Coventry Triathletes, 1485 are a bit too far for me, the cycle to Bozzy is bad enough once (occasionally twice) a week image

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

I have entered the ballot for the Ride London next year, it gives me a target that is long enough away and sensible enough to achieve. Also it gives me a target beyond Outlaw Half and possible relay for Outlaw.

I plan to go swimming in the morning, unless I go down with the horrid middle ear virus Mr Steady picked up and has left him with his head spinning and feeling sick.

• Options

I ran properly today. We ran as a group but split the distances on ability and injury. I was given the second longest route and should really have been chased down by the youngster who got the longest route. But I'm vain and twenty years older than the other guy and i was damned if i was going to make it easy for him. In the end he didnt catch me and i got a proper workout in sticky conditions.

I'm borrowing a road bike on sunday to see what its like. How exciting? If i use it in the next triathlon instead of my mountain bike, i might not come last...

• Options

Ran for 1hr30mins tonight 'undulating' hills slowed me up a bit as did the warm but I didn't stop.  Got snobbed by the blonde ommpaloompas tonight image all three of the ladies in matching gym gear were deep in gossip as they were power walking and couldn't drag themselves away from each other to either grunt or say hi back either of the times I passed them.  

Go Pete!!  Well done you.  And Steady good job goals are important!  EP are you coming to Bossie on Thursday?

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Uh, another weekends moving done, about 1000 stairs up and down...does that count as cross training?

MrsDigger/Buttercup -  Thanks but I'm only annoyed about my speed as couple of years ago my runs would be 10m/m and my 5k pb is 26:22. Weight gain has been the biggest reason for slowing down. Dealing with that now though and will HTFU!

Another run today,quite like running on my own atm, pushed the pace on the last mile and got average of 10:28 but it was bloody hard work.

Pete - such a man thing to do but glad you beat the youngsters!

ButterCup - nice run! I'll definitely try to work towards longer runs but gonna do it steadily.

Steady - I really need to think about some goals for next year as well. Not really given too much thought yet but I think swimming 5k will be one of them.