Options

Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Options

Incidentally I am 5'6.5 and have a trek lexa size 52cm frame. two different shops put me in different sizes- I have more clearance in the smaller frame and just put the saddle up. A slightly more aggressive riding position which I prefer. Hope that helps image

• Options

Emma - well done, bet that has been an exhausting week

mikasa - no idea what your real name is but if you pm me your name and a link to your fb then I will befriend you image

• Options

So I decided to bike the whole way to work today - only got a bit lost image and ended up on some horrible pieces of road and roundabouts - not for the faint of heart methinks image my postdoc was quite amused by it all - It was a nice day out for a pootle tho'.  I waited until it was light (good move) and I took the weather girl on faith when she said the sun was going to come out - it did!

• Options

well done buttercup - maybe you need to have a go at the weekend when you have time to scout out a decent route! How far is it?

• Options

It was only like 30ish k I just missed the turn off apparently the main street I was following split into main main st and little bit main st but I didn't realise image I did a big loop.  Today's weather would've been good tomorrow!

• Options

Mikasa feel free to friend me on FB.

MTB Diva, your description is good, I leave out the bit about my bulge in the hope that when I meet people they do not notice it straight away.

I have had another rest day, which is becoming a habit but for good reasons today. Since the weekend I could feel a niggly pain in my lower back and ignored it, thinking it was just from the race and would go. It did not by yesterday and managed to get to see my osteopath this morning. She confirmed my fears, my pelvis had twisted again, but because it was not too bad she manipulated me straight again. I got instructions not to exercise until Sunday and then to only do a little bit and gently. Also told that as it was my day off no housework to be done either as any stretching or twisting could undo the good.

I am now being good concentrating on keeping a good posture.

• Options

steady that is a pain, but make sure it recovers before you do anything

5.6 mile run/walk this morning, very warm and no rain while I was out image

hoping to turbo a bit tonight while OH cooks

• Options

I have a date with my new foam roller tonight. bring on the pain

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
    Oh, I don't do front crawl yet, I only swim breast stroke atm.
  • Options

Had a nice early 3 miles cani-cross with Dawn Dog to start the day.   My arms not right yet, but my head's in a good place and I'm looking forward to starting week 6 of my Fink program.

Steady - I hope Sunday's exercise works out for you.

EP - don't worry about slowing down if you need to, it does get better.

Steady & Buttercup have my name for anybody here wanting to FB friend me.

Have a good weekend all image

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Hi all, well I've had a fun evening. Just back home! Only 3.5 hrs after than usually cos someone decided to get themselves under a train. I mean it is sad  and I don't know what happened but it certainly affected many people getting home.

I should be going to a party (only next door) but am so tired now really can't be asked and have planned parkrun for the morning as it's their anniversary.

• Options

Went for a swim last night with the aim of paying no attention to times until the end. Got halfway there and realised my Garmin was sat on the coffee table at home, doh. So instead I did 400m taking it easy and thinking about my technique the whole time, then a few sets of drills.

Having a brew now whilst deciding whether to go out on the mountain bike or the road bike, Doesn't seem too windy at the moment so might manage a road ride

• Options
    SteadyCJ wrote (see)

Mikasa feel free to friend me on FB.

MTB Diva, your description is good, I leave out the bit about my bulge inthe hope that when I meet people they do not notice it straight away.

I'll try and remember that image

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

image I'm just letting people make their own minds when they see me!

I woke up late this morning and was still very tired. But I got up and put my running gear on. Time was rushing by and decided I had to go by bike to get there on time but then couldn't find the key to my bike lock. Almost gave up at this point but finally found the key and mad 2 mile'ish dash to the park, only to be stopped by a marshal at the entrance, parkrun cancelled due to rain and mud. Never even thought about that but no problem, back home for a breakfast instead.

On and off heavy showers here so will try to go for a short run later on. Bike might not happen though I really must make more effort as bike fitness is pretty bad atm.

• Options

1 hr run in the mud and wind - great fun image will get on turbo when the rugger comes on - need to digest brunch first!  The rain hasn't arrived yet - still think not going out today was probably the good call - we would've been fighting to stay on the bikes the whole way :/ never mind there is always next weekend!

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

I guess I should really do my run before the rugby, otherwise it might not happen. Wish I'd managed to buy the turbo last week as would be perfect doing that when rugby is on. 

• Options

hi all

had a bit of a lie in this morning so missed spinning but still went to swimming and will have a turbo this afternoon, it is so windy out there and the clouds are moving back in now!

• Options

Well with the weather being the way it is we've scrapped the idea of getting out on the bikes today. Tomorrow looks much better so we're going out in the morning instead, followed by a trip to the pool in the afternoon (and I will remember my Garmin). The wife has just been out for a run, and I'll get out for one later after popping into town.

Before then I'm also actually going to sit down and work out a proper session to do in the pool, rather than making it up as I go along which is what I have been doing. Hopefully will achieve more and push myself a bit more that way rather than floating down at the end of the pool thinking what to do next.

Started writing a blog update which has now turned into a bit of a rant about how PE was a bit of a waste of time back when I was at school. Not blaming it in anyway for the years of me being unfit and overweight (well I still am, but at least now I'm doing something about it), but I have come to realise how if they had actually included the education in Physical Education, I could have got a lot more from it. It was always a case of simply being expected to get on and do things, rather than being taught how to do them and learning how to train.

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

5 mile run and home before rugby. 2 minutes quicker than last time! I'm finding it quite hard to start off slowly atm as legs seem to be getting stronger and the start of my easy and lsr pace seems like I'm not moving at all.

Unfortunately, my garmin has had a fit and is not working and I don't know what to do. I connected it to the computer and first it was 'saving activity' then suddenly it's gone blank and is not charging either...image I love my garmin, any ideas?

EDIT: Garmin sorted thank goodness, I like my data too much. image

And oh my gosh, my average for this run was 11:37 which is 20sec per mile quicker than last time on this route and that was the first time under the hour. Training works. imageimage

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
  • Options

ooo sorry 3 posts there!

• Options

mikasa - well done on your progress and resurrecting your Garmin.

Just an early 3 mile cross country run this morning, then a recovery day tomorrow in preparation for week 6 of my Fink program - that's cool, as things start to get a bit more interesting as brick sessions are introduced and weekend sessions start to lengthen.

• Options

morning

well done mikasa image

erm, looks like the morning long run isn't going to happen, so swapping days roound, long run tomorrow (possibly split into two so I don't have to get up at 3 to do it!) and a turbo today if I can fit it in after we pick the kids up/supermarket shopping etc

swimming tonight

still windy and off to survey flooding later....

• Options

I have been in the garden to survey the flooding in my wellies, squelchy and muddy, plants surrounded by water. But spring must be on the way as there were a few primroses out in flower.

The wind is still gusty so pleased that I am not on my bike but not sure if I will do a turbo session or not. 

• Options

Went out on the road bike for the first time in windy conditions. "Interesting" is probably a suitable word to describe how it was! Only did just over 6 miles (2 laps of 3.odd mile loop from the house), but included a short but sharp climb. Can tell all I've done bike-wise recently is a couple of turbo sessions, feeling the lack of bike fitness. Time to up the ante

• Options

Just had a 45 minutes blast on the turbo using trainer road. Have a quick cup of tea then hit the pool for an hour and do some drills.

DB - you will be fine once the weather is better. just keep pluggin away at trainer road and build up a base