Options

Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Options

well done everyone on the training

mikasa - fear not, it your pool says it is 33m then it is actually 33 1/3 so you only do 12 lengths for 400m. I think it was on another thread there was a big discussion about pool lengths and someone seemed to be the world's authority on them image

turboed this morning, but have got home too late to do everything I need to (cooking etc) and make it to running club, but going to head out for a run by myself anyway. Can't run tomorrow morning because OH has to be at work at 3am!!image can't leave the kids alone in bed in the house on their own. 

well, better go and do some of the stuff I need to!

• Options

My tummy is well full - husband made fish burgers for tea NOM!  Commute plus swim and I will be doing my SI bum muscle strengthening exercises later image

• Options

Trying to get the motivation to go swimming tonight. Its so cold and wet outside. Im half changed ready to go. 

• Options

EP - well done on getting the run in - would have been easy to skip it. Eat a bit of fruit too, a protein shake isn't really enough! Good luck with your observation. I haven't planned anything for tomorrow yet so it will be one of those days when I plan 6 lessons in the hour I have before school starts in the morningimage

I did get out for my run too, 4 miles in 50 mins, not quick but good for me 

bristol - hope you got to the swim

• Options

Good job EP and MC!  A win for mental toughness!  Have a banana EP!

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

MC - Cool, thanks for that, wasn't really thinking. It does say our pool is 33.3. Welll done on getting out on your run too.

EP - well done on doing your run as well.

Bristol - hope you got to swimming.

Run for me after work, 3.1miles, legs were soooo heavy at the start. The weighted lunges last night had something to do that. But I've also noticed that I've gotten to a bad habit of doing my long runs at the same average pace as my easy runs. I think it's because I do walk run but I need slow them down, I think that's accumulating as well and making my legs tired. Planning to do parkrun on Saturday and long run on Sunday so that should help as well.

• Options

Thanks guys for the support. Managed to drag my sorry ass to the pool snd swam 800m. Few sets of 100 followed by some drills with the pull bouy and paddles. 

Glad i made it. Swimming is getting better. 

• Options

Good swim Brizzle... When the time comes where u aiming to do your OW swims?

Seems the running coming on for all. Friend taking me for a 7miler on Thurs. hope the current hail and gales dont continue! image

How ya doin DS?

• Options
    MrsDigger (aka sicknote) wrote (see)
    How ya doin DS?

*waves* Okay thanks Mrs D.  I've still lots to work on, but that's cool and I'm enjoying seeing everyone doing so well. 

• Options

Mrs D - i will be going up to the bradley stoke lake. Went there last year and its good. Only 5ft-6ft deep so if your in trouble or need a breather its ideal. We started around end of March last year and its was 10 degrees. Very chilly first few swims but then you get used to it. Think i only managed around 100m on my first visit as i couldnt get used to breathing out in such cold water.

• Options

Well Brizzle, might see you there. We went start of last season. Was allegedly 14 degrees.... My arse! It is warmer as it's shallower. Plus, I do lurrrvvve the big fish in there!

*waves* back at DS. Keep plugging on Kid! 

Not fancying leaving the house today. I believe it may be the apocalypse out there image

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

I have a lake 2 miles from me now! The Quays in Camberley. Just have to buy a wetsuit and learn fc.

Started reading the Fink book last night, not gotten to the swimsmooth one yet as no swimming till Friday at the earliest. 

Bristol - glad you got to the pool yesterday!

Weather not too bad here but very windy. Day off exercise today as going/coming to Bristol to see Suzanne Vega in Colston Hall. Short day today as leaving work 3.30pm.

• Options

Yeah ill be up the lake from april hopefully if weather is nicer.

Going to sign up to trainer road tonight and have a pop on that as my shins are still hurting a little from last weeks runs.

The pool was so busy last night, thats the trouble of being a member of a gym which is inside a leisure centre, they have all theses classes etc in the pool so lane swimming is only for a few hours a night.  

• Options

5km run and commute done today - got the run in before it started raining ftw!  It was very windy out tho' and had to stretch my left calf a bit but other than that legs are good to go image phew!  And I'm eyeballing the weather report as I'm meant to be out biking with Supercaz on Saturday and if it's bucketing down I will be home on the turbo *sad face* 

• Options

mikasa - loving Susanne Vega, lucky you.

Today was a teeny z2 turbo session, with similar session tomorrow.  I'm looking forward to Friday when I get to run again.  Possibly headed towards Jodrell Bank Sportive in March to get some additional bike experience.

• Options

Jealous DS I wanted to do it but husband had already booked us to go to Germany that weekend image have fun!!!

• Options

Dawn sarah keeps talking about Jodrell bank so might be joining you which distance are you thinking?

• Options

Buttercup - that's a shame, would have been great to meet you, fingers crossed you and SC get a decent ride this weekend at least.

Hiya Cake - it was Sarah's fb post that had me thinking about it.  I think I'll keep it fun at just the 26miles (got to sweet talk the boss first though image)

• Options

image Go on mate do the 50. Listen to the voices. mmmuuuuaaaarrr!!!!! image

Whats your longest ride so far? If it's any good I have monday off work so depending on what time I get back from birmingham this weekend should be hitting the peaks if your interested? Can come meet you down there is any good. image

• Options

You are evil!  imageimageimage

I'd love to come for a ride mate, but I'm stuffed until my arm sorts out. image 

I've only had a 26mile ride before Christmas, and mostly just been doing the basic Fink program this year so not much mileage there yet either.  As much as norty me would love to do the 50, I'll keep an eye on my big picture and stick to the 26mi this time around... must not weaken... must not weaken...

• Options

Fair does mate. Not going to be doing in but I would look at the manchester sportive if you fancy it. Sure someone will stick a link up when it open's you get to play on closed roads. image

• Options

Cool, the Fink thing will pick up soon and I'll be able to get a few more hours under my belt, then you'll be able to fill my Bento box with bacon butties and torture me with some lumpy roads.

• Options

image Roll on the summer.

• Options

BACON! image nom +1 for summer!

• Options

Roll on a week without rain and wind, will do for starters.

I am having an extra rest day, ankles and calves still sore.

Did anyone enter the Ride London 100 ballot? I am waiting for the answer of in or out.

• Options

Lack of lane swimming is one reason for not using local leisure centres, and instead paying the extra to use Bannatyne's. The other reason being the wife really doesn't want to be bumping into kids that she teaches. At least at Bannatyne's we know there will always be 2 swimming lanes available regardless of whatever else is going on.

Plan for me tonight is 30 minutes or so on the treadmill, followed by a 1500m or so swim. Having said that I feel like I've spent most of the day swimming whilst out at work...

• Options

lack of lane swimming at my local leisure centre is what pushed me to join the masters sessions at a swimming club image glad I did because it is much better than lane swimming on my own

had a rubbish day at school and done no training image

oh well, weather is horrible right now but should be better in the morning when I have a run planned

• Options

Well we didn't make it to the gym, so the wife went for a run then got on the cross trainer, and I got on the turbo to have a go at my first "proper" session on TrainerRoad. Went for one of the Sufferfest sessions, Revolver, although I don't have the video yet (think I'll invest in some, also want to get Chrysallis, their new tri-specific vid) and I think I made a poor effort of my FTP test as although I had a sweat on during the sprints, I wasn't suffering. Had to scrap it after half the sprint intervals as my knee developed a bit of a twinge, and I didn't want to risk anything so took the sensible option of stopping.

FTP re-test for me over the weekend with a proper effort, and then next week I'm going to start one of the base training plans.

• Options

I did the 8 minute test tonight DB After signing up. Think i could of gone harder aswell but legs were hurting from the last few days