Options

Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Options

Positive thoughts MC, positive thoughts image

Rich - DO NOT look at Wiggle. It is a slippery slope from there image

Pippa - we are fans of the slow and steady image

Disaster has struck... My friend is getting married the same day as Equinox 24. Apparently it is rude to do a race instead of attending. I explained that it is rude to organise an event on the day of a race! I lost this argument image

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

MrsD - yeah, not sure you gonna get out of that one! image

MC - hope it is just a pre-race throat. Good luck for tomorrow.

Well done everyone else on training,

After half a day of dithering, we finally got our arses in gear with bf and went for a bike ride, half of it was on the canal path. At about 10 miles my upper quad muscle, just bout in the area of the hip injury, started tightening up so slowed down. When we got back home I iced it couple of times just in case but actually feels fine now. think it just needs exercising. All together, a 12 mile ride in 1hr6min. And I'm quite happy with that considering,

• Options

well done mikasa - onwards and upwards!

MrsD - oh what a pain! 

• Options

I hear Belvoir Castle is a great place for a wedding Mrs D image

• Options

not sure what else I need?

Bike, tri-suit, wetsuit, trainers, helmet? oh and the biggee!! Garmin fenix 2- on my wish list!!! 

• Options

I did it image

race report when I have recovered a little

• Options

Woohoooooo!!! Well done Chook!! image super proud of you MC!

• Options

thanks buttercup, I feel totally exhausted, everything hurts and aches but I am so happy image Went through a bad patch at about 18/19 miles and the thought of Dave and the kids at mile 21.5 with a banana kept me going. No medal, but a trophy which is even better for a first marathon

• Options

A trophy?? Did you get in on your AG??? Get in!!

• Options

haha, no, I think everyone would have got a trophy!! The race info said 'memento' so wasn't sure what there would be, but a trophy is brill I was the last finisher....but I don't care, I did it, and I finished

• Options

You did finish it - you're awesome! image

• Options

well done EP on telling hubby. I am not sure a spring marathon willl be on the cards for me next year - I want to do outlaw but the marathon training takes too much time and leaves you with little time for cycling - I feel like I am struggling now to get long rides in for outlaw half

• Options

Yay, mc. Well done you. 

Not pressure but race report...?

• Options

right, attempt at race report:

got up early, porridge, coffee and internet. Then run stuff on, sun cream and walked the half mile to the race start, chatted to a few random strangers while waiting and off we went. There was a half mara running at the same time, but probably only around 400 people altogether. I set off and quickly settled into my run/walk following the garmin beeps. It was warm and the first loop was fairly sheltered from wind. I think I ran the first mile a little fast (12:38) but managed to settle into a 13 min/mile pace. to make the 6 hour cut off I needed to average 13:44 pace, so was happy with 13 min miles and it felt ok. Had a gel at about mile 4, and OH and the kids were waiting for me outside the apartment at 8.5 miles with a banana. walked a little while I ate the banana and off up the other loop (it was a figure of eight course - had to do everything twice). The wind picked up which made things a bit tricky. Passed OH again at 12.5 miles, was handed another banana by OH and passed by the start/finish area where the half marathoners were finishing image mentally hard, but also good to know I was more than half way. I knew I was the last person at this point because everyone else that had been behind me were doing the half (we had chatted as we passed).  Carried on, reached the end turning point at about 17 miles and knew that there wasn't a great deal left, but then it mentally became hard, because I knew that I had come a long way but there was still a long way to go. I knew OH and the kids would be there at mile 21.5 and this is what kept me going. Went past the finish area again at 21 miles, tough to go past it, and the guy following me on a bike (can't think of what they call them - back marker?) asked if I though I would finish in the cutoff as after 6 hours that is it. There were 5 miles left and I was 4:45 hours in, so I said I thought so. I had managed to keep up the running segments all the way even though I was slowing now and pace had slipped to around 14 min miles, but average pace for the whole run was around 13:30. Youngest lad was holding my banana out and OH took a photo image Off up the last loop - a pretty desolate area of the course and in the wind again. Finally reached the last turn point and knew that there were 2.5 miles left, I was going to finish and hopefully within the cut off

• Options

....just kept going, everything was starting to hurt, eventually got to where the kids were waiting to accompany me to the line, OH was waiting at the finish line. Lovely teenager pointed out that he was walking at the same pace that I was running, I pointed out that I had done 26 miles and I was entitled to be slow. Ran all the way to the finish! 6:00:55 (garmin time, not sure what chip time is yet) was handed a good bag with juice, crisps, chocy bar, a bottle of water and a little trophy as a finisher's memento. I was last but i made it! Emotion overcame me and I shed a little tear image

a very very slow walk the half mile back to the apartment, everything hurt. Funny how the adrenaline had kept me going through the race but as soon as I reached the finish line it became almost impossible to move. OH had done well and brought to the finish line a litre bottle of choc milk, which I sipped as we walked back slowly. Up the 6 flights of steps to the apartment - that was painful!! Got OH to help me get shoes, bra etc off and got in the shower. Funny how even my arms and shoulders hurt and getting undressed seemed impossible.

OH and the kids went to get ice cream image

• Options

ha, pete - hadn't seen your post but was probably typing while you posted image

I am so pleased to have done it, but I think the next couple of days are going to be painful. 

glad I did this one rather than something like London so I could just easily get back to the apartment afterwards - I wouldn't want to have to catch a train or tube etc

• Options

I have gone for sitting with my legs up, didn't bring any compression gear. Have been up and down stairs a few times to go to the loo - I must have managed to rehydrate properly! 

• Options

Doll I'm so proud of you for finishing the job when it was really hard to do so!  Yayayay win for mental toughness! Hope you wolfed down the ice-cream you deserved it!

• Options

A friend from school recently contacted me on facebook. In the chats we have been having she reminded me that I was always chosen last for hockey (as if Needed reminding!!) bet none of them have done a marathon image

anyway, enough

EP - looks like you have really got your mojo back. Great. Cycling on an INSET day is good - I have done that in the past, less pressure in terms of time etc

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Well done MC, absolutely fantastic achievement! Sounds like it was hard at times but you kept going and you did it! imageimageimage

We got our act together again in the afternoon and went for mtb ride at Swinley Forest. Did the blue trail which is about 10k, had my garmin on but sometimes when we stopped I forgot to put it back on so only have 4.91mi on the clock. It was a nice route with not that much up hill and mostly quite flat. Felt really slow (and was) but it was nice to be in a forest again on the bikes. Much work needs to be done though.

• Options

well done mathschick. it's a long slog but worth it in the end.image

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Well done MC, a walk/run for 26 miles is tough and having to do it in 6 hours, my mainly walked marathon took 7 hours. Hope you recover well.

Mikasa, glad to hear you managed a little mtb ride, I looked at Swinley Forest and might at some point hire a bike to have a ride over there.

I went out with the slow group at cycle club this morning but we ended up going at the next group up pace of just over 12 mph, so another 27 miles done. My legs felt tired by the end and a hot chocolate and slice of cake in the café at the finish was most welcome. Hip flexor needs icing but think I have survived quite well.

This afternoon Mr Steady and I went for a walk and did about 3 miles, so not quite a brick session but hopefully it did me good.

• Options

well done MC - that's totally brilliant.

Mikasa, its great to hear you're doing stuff...don't worry about speed, just enjoy being out and about.

Steady, 27 miles is a lot, well done.

I did nothing at the weekend, although an evening ceilidh dancing is quite tiring.  I'm going to claim that I'm in taper for sundays triathlon, but mostly it's laziness.