Options

Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Options
    Ouch Steady hope you and the bike are OK. I've finally got my run HR zones worked out properly and managed a 40 min run in the right zone for the first time ever. Finally feel like I can do some proper training now. 2hr turbo tomorrow which I'm not looking forwards to. It's a trainer road session so no boredom issues, just lots of hard work!
  • Options

well done steady - sounds like a hard ride! Hope your bruising isn't too bad

Ali - well done!

• Options

4.5 mile run yesterday, mainly off road with some tough climbs. 2k swim this morning in 48:58, and 30 miles on the bike late this afternoon with 1,600ft of climbing at an average of 14.4mph, without killing myself.

• Options

had such a lazy weekend on the traininf front but a crazy busy personal one.  Pleased to be at work for a rest!  Today is run and swim sessions and hoping the snow keeps away.  It sounds like you all have had a good weekend.

• Options

Woo Steady, you're so hardcore! 3k climb and extra miles! Go you. 

I got out on my bike twice this weekend. Once on my own and once with the brat who whined up each hill. 

In the pool today, new pb for my 24 lengths which was nice. I then tried to swim without my nose peg...and breathed in underwater!  Fail!

• Options

Thanks Steady, i was going to go for a run last night but can still feel a little bit on my chest etc. Over a week now not training and i have a stag do for 4 days this week. 

Oh well looks like i need to get stuck in when i get back 

• Options

Nothing done over the weekend or yesterday still coughing and now I'm getting the snots.

Bristol... If its still on your chest best not chance it mate.

Well done everyone else. 

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Pete, you have many more hills in your area.
    I would rather walk up a hill then have the energy to finish the ride, than push too much and end up half way up with massive cramps in both legs.

Swim this morning was OK, a little sore but nothing that stopped me. We did a silly length of the pool, front crawl on just one breath, managed it much to my surprise.

• Options

Can anyone help.  I have ran for at least 3 years now and run on a lunch time with two other ladies.  We run for about 3 miles 3 or 4 times a week.  I love it and love the company.  Where we run is hilly so we always have a run with at least two hills in.  I hate hills. They never get any easier and recently I am finding that they are bouncing along and I slapping my feet along.  I am really struggling to keep up.  They have always been a little faster than me but this is something else.  It just isn’t getting any better.  Advice most welcome as I want to bounce round like the others and not drag my aching, lead weight legs round.  Thank you and sorry for whining.

• Options

To start you could maybe try something as simple as taking shorter, quicker steps.

• Options

I take small steps already so feel like i am running two steps to there one.  i tried to do longer steps espcially up hill but i run out of poof!    If i keep to small slow steps i get up but much slower!

• Options

The only way to get better at hills is to do more hills - do them by yourself where you don't have to feel like you have to keep up with anyone else - have you tried hill repeats?  I have been finding trail running by myself lots of fun - really enjoying it!  

• Options
    alex_halex_h ✭✭✭

DD - Small, quick steps on the balls of my feet works for me. I focus on breathing in three steps, out three steps, (same all through the run) keeping cadence the same as it was on the flat. Do you have a HR monitor or anything like that? That way you can ensure you are working at a consistent effort and not burning yourself out on the hills. There is nothing wrong with going up them slowly. Good form is your friend!

Steady - sounds like you had an interesting Sportive! Well done! Glad swim was OK for you.

Hope that the sick among us get better soon!

I took the bike out on Sunday, the hill at the midpoint of my ride nearly does me in. Turns out max HR is 191, not 188!! (which was the result of my max HR test just over a week ago!). Averaged Z2 for the ride, still blimming slow though! The hill isn't even that big, I just can't climb...yet. Out for a 7 mile run earlier, all in Z2, very pleased.

• Options

arghhh, just lost a post

hope all the sickies get better soon

great run this evening and a turbo this morning, feeling good image

got a half marathon on Sunday and looks like the weather is getting milder at last

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Good luck with your half marathon on Sunday MC.
    I was entered in one for this coming weekend, but as my running has been almost nothing I am not going to do it, as it would do more harm than good at this point.

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

I have done my first brick session of the year.

• Options
    alex_halex_h ✭✭✭

Well done Steady! I took the dogs for a walk immediately after my turbo and then took the little one swimming...does any of that count as a brick?image

MC - good luck for the weekend!

7 mile run yesterday and 15.8 mile turbo today. March is going well so far.

• Options
    March has started with a chest infection and feeling really shit, got the antibiotics so hopefully I should be feeling a bit better soon.

MC...enjoy your half.

Steady...good idea to pull out if your not up to it.

Alex..good session mate.
  • Options

Thanks everyone for the advice. i do have a heart rate monitor but never used it.  i will have to fish it out and give it a try.  not really sure what i am meant to do with it!  will get googling.

Been for a swim today and some annoying person joined the lane and did breast stroke slowly and i was just in a great routine,  i was not happy.  they also would let me over take even though i was catching them up!  i was not a happy bunny.  it is really funny as i am a really calm person normally but swimming brings something out in me!!  off for a run at lunch time.

How are all your weeks going?

• Options

Dilly Dally... If you are going to use your HR monitor make sure to work out your training zones properly to get the best use out of it.Do you know what your max HR is?

• Options

no idea.  i know i have a very low resting hr but that is it.  Hope you don't mind me asking but how do i work that out? 

• Options

evening

razor - hope you get better soon

dilly dally - I am the same in a public session

swimming session (non- public) tonight image

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

MC, sounds like a good swim will be had tonight.
    AlexH, I would count a dog walk after a turbo as a brick, but that is mainly because my running is so bad.
    Razor hope you are feeling better soon.

I came home tonight and was so tired I went to sleep for 45 minutes so I decided to skip the turbo session and just cooked and ate dinner. Off to bed in a minute or two.

zzz

• Options

steady - sometimes sleep is the best thing to do! Rest is an important part of training, sometimes I forget that!

the swim was good image

• Options

Dilly Dally.....

You can work your max HR by taking your age from 220  ie 220-30 =190. this is not the most accurate but it gives you a ball park figure.

The best way is to do a Max HR test, you can do this by running a 5k  at a steady pace and really pushing yourself all out for the last 1K, or doing hill reps and pushing yourself really hard up the last rep, this will give you your maxHR from there you can work out your training zones." Be Iron Fit" by Don Fink is a good book with all the info you need about triathlon and training zones, good luck with it.

• Options

thank you for that i will work it out.  think i will try the 5k method as me and hills do not get on!  Looking at different sites i really need to do some core work as my core is really weak.

I will also look for that book. i got the triathlon bible and that is just overwhelming!

What are everyones training plans for the weekend?  I am hoping to go spinning tonight and long bike on sunday.  i would like to fit a swim in as really enjoying it at the moment but not sure i will.

Has anyone done a good swimming challenge in the North?

• Options

ran to the pool today, swam and ran back....that sounds better than it was...it's only 1.7miles to the pool and then 24 lengths and then back again.  Oddly the run back was 5 minutes faster than the run there...

Dilly, How north do you want to go?  I'm in NE Scotland...is too North?

• Options

yes too North!  Sound have said the North of England. 

• Options

I'm in the NW in Salford, open water swimming will start begining of May at the Quays or at Pennington Flash if thats any use.

The British Gas north swim takes place at the Quays.

• Options

Whoop! Managed a 5.44 min/km ave for my 5k run! Haven't been running this fast since before I injured myself last year image I am a happy bunny. 

Luck MC for tomorrow!

DD stick with the HRM it works - what is measured is managed (and improved image )