Options

Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Options

Not true Cake! It was snowing in LB before we left!  Got to Bucks and there was none! Just freezing! Lol I just entered the Rail to Trail run in Wendover image should be muddy and hilly image

Good call Steady!

The last two weeks have been quite busy and tiring for me - I am going for a run tomorrow in the hills - bit excited about that but other than that this week it's been my bike commute - hopefully not spending 5 hrs a day commuting will mean I can get back into my training routine again image

Ewww and I got new shoes!! Will give them a go tomorrow image

• Options

morning all

(((steady)))

buttercup - did you move this weekend? I haven't really been keeping up with things! Hope the move went well and you are making your new home cosy!

minni - do you mean swimming technique? The gains are very marginal, unless you couldn't actually swim before, I am finding! 

pete - knocking 5 minutes off your bike time will be easier to achieve than off your swim time!

I have done the Tour of Sufferlandria this week, and my bum is sore from being on the bike so much, my legs ache, and so do my shoulders. But it is done!!

Going to do some easy running today and masters swim tonight

• Options

Ali - Jillian Michaels - hope you enjoyed the show, but take what she says with a pinch of salt, anyone that tells you not to eat apples is a nutter!! 

• Options

So due to the weather forecast the club rides were cancelled, so I turboed. 2 x 1 hour DVD, first one a race then an hour of climbing, my legs felt thoroughly worked out by the end. Hope this makes up for not doing anything for 3 days.

Thanks for all the (()) I needed them.

• Options

Razor - Thanks for the info on My Triathlon, some good deals on there but as its my first wetsuit and I have no idea on sizing/type I think I need on fitted/tested. Good swimming from you.

Cake - are you going to tell us your race line up?

Did my first Brick session on Thursday 20k on the indoor bike followed by 5k run. First mile of run was interesting but generally OK and 910xt worked a treat.

2 hard kick sessions at swim club last 2 days and I think they may have took their toll on run this morning.  Was cold/windy and meant to unfuelled, 21 miles done but started to struggle from 17 so took the "emergency"  gel.

• Options

Barry,   Make sure if you're running longer than an hour to keep hydrated, gels are good for a boost but you also need fluid, try the High 5 zero tabs they are good.

Good mileage mate.

Maths, I need to try the DVD's for turboing.

I ran this morning, it looked really nice outside, sun was out and no wind. Different story once outside, it was freezing , good job I was wrapped up but my arms were still cold. Ran 7 miles in Z2, I had to keep slowing myself down as I was creeping up into Z3. 1hr13mins at and avg pace 10:04min/m. getting faster every week, anyone else noticed an increase in pace?

• Options

Well been keeping busy with training last few weeks. I cant run at the moment as my insoles need reconditioning so added a few more swim sets in

Thought my foot was hurting due to other issues but happy its just the insoles as its an easy fix (but expensive at £200 a set)

Cant wait to pick the new ones up friday as i have actually missed running, never thought id say that.

well done everyone on there training efforts.

Razor - do you take a bottle belt running or just a little bottle as my runs are now over 1h 15 minutes so thinking about whats the best way to take on fluid

• Options

Bristol,      Yeah mate I take a bottle belt, the bottle is about 500ml, I bought mine from Sports Direct they are cheap and not too heavy, Just drop 1 High 5 tab in water , keeps you hydrated. Have you tried a Camelback?

Good luck with the insoles.

• Options

Thanks Razor. Ill look on their website today. Couldnt wear a camelback as i get too hot as it is

• Options

Sorry Barry now sorted for in no paticular order

Coverntry, Liverpool, Cardiff, Eyem, Sheffield Half's Manchester and Giantshead Marathon and Cotswold IM, Along with hopefully the DIY half asumming I can get the whole weekend off. Annoyingly I can't find a local swimathon on a Friday. Still need to sort a few more races and need to work out whats doable from new home in term's of fell races. 

Bristol if any good I use a small Camelbak for long ones and works well mostly. Buttercup hope the move went well and your all sorted.

• Options

I have had good post from the postie today, I am in the Ride London 100.

Cake I am up in Brum on Wednesday night next week.

Hope you have unpacked now Buttercup and the commute is better.

• Options

yay steady!!

• Options

Well done steady, My work has 3 places which i can have one in return for £750 sponsorship but im worried its too close after outlaw.

Managed to steady swims (1800m each) and a quick turbo. Can wait till friday when i get my insoles back and i can run

• Options

MC - That's Odd I 've never heard her say not to eat apples or read her saying it in a book or article? She's usually pretty pro eat most things just go easy on the bad stuff.

• Options

I ran 9.3 miles today and felt great image most of it was through a country park and I found paths that I had'nt run down before so it was a bit of a mystery tour. avg pace was 10:20 min,m which I was really chuffed with as it did,nt think it was that pace.

Steady.....Well done on your entry into the Ride London 100.

• Options

Yes i have my insoles. Cant wait to go for a run today after 2 weeks off. I wonder how much run fitness i have lost

• Options

Ali - I think I saw it on her website - I looked once when some people I know said they were thinking of going to see her. I'll see if I can find it.

Razor - no, I am not speeding up image 

had a bit of a busy week which meant I missed my Thursday night swim image it was my son's parents' evening so important really. 

Bristol - in 2 weeks you won't really have lost any

• Options

Ali - here it was http://www.jillianmichaelslive.com/myl-tools/  there is a dirty dozen which contains things I love - apples, strawberries etc. To be fair, I haven't read any of her stuff, so I have no idea what she means by dirty dozen, I just assumed it was something to avoid

anyway - how was the show? I wouldn't mind having a physique like hers!!! Mind you, when I was in my 20s I think I wasn't far off!

• Options
    Hi everyone, trying to catch up on the forums, hope training is all going to plan, mine starts properly next week, only 6 weeks behind schedule.

Cake, are you doing Cov tri? I might do it too, so far got Cotswolds 113 and Outlaw booked.

Planning on a couple of sprints and Wild Boar too.

1st big bike sesh planned for tomorrow.
  • Options

hi JP hope you are well

I am behind schedule as wellimage

• Options

I am loosely following Fink intermediate plan but I am not too concerned if I miss a session, my running is doing ok, I swim when I can but deffo need to get out on the bike soon, I've turboed but it's not the same as being out there.

Has anyone tried The Turbo Tuesday online session?

• Options

Got out for 30 miles on the mountain bike yesterday for a mix of off-road lite and road. Mainly on Sustrans disused railway lines, with a bit of road to add some extra miles on. Had the joy of a puncture at 40mph on the road which was interesting. Put in a couple of decent efforts too which left me feeling it last night, though feeling fresh again this morning. Thinking of a ride out to South Shields and back for fish and chips by the sea, so that'll be a steady 50 mile ride

• Options

Durhambiker, puncture sounds horrid, long ride to the seaside for fish and chips is good.

I went out and did 36 miles, cold but sunny. Feeling very tired now. I must start going swimming twice a week not just the once. Oh and of course I need to doing some running at some point.

• Options
    MC they're fine to eat but they tend to be sprayed with a lot of chemicals so she recommends buying organic of those if you can find it.

Ride out with the steady group for the local club this morning, I am definitely not match fit.
  • Options

Ali - ah, that makes sense. 

• Options

Ride to the seaside was ditched in favour of a local ride with a mate. Much shorter but some good climbing and some tricky descending.

• Options

ooh...man-flu...I've been out for a week...mostly sleeping on the sofa after work like an old duffer...

I think most of you are mistaking my swim times for someone who can swim...20 minutes for 750m...I should be able to knock a couple of minutes off that...but I'll work on the bike as well. 

I ran to the pool today.  And then ran back again.  The plan is to be fast enough/fit enough to run to the pool, do 30 minutes swim and run back...next month maybe, but not today.

• Options

Pete... get well soon mate.

DB....nice ride but did you get your fish and chips image

Steady....Running ok, my swimming is not bad but not been out on the road bike since September, only had 1 outing on the mountain bike so I need to sort myself out. 

• Options
    1st bike ride since October ish, lovely sunny 30 miles, just need to get to the pool now.

Hi MC (waves)

Get well Pete
  • Options

Hey JP!  What are you and lumpty doing this year?

Did my first Pilates/Yoga class last night - apparently Im a bit tight down the back of my legs image had a lovely run in the woods on Sunday 12k lots of ice and mud image and going to run with a club for the first time ever on Thursday image see how that goes.