Options

C.C.C/UTMB

Comments

• Options
    oh dear - looks like conditions are buggering things up - heavy thunderstorms in the area.

they've altered the course of the CCC to cut out the higher passes and stay more at valley level

"En dernière minute, les organisateurs de l'UTMB ont décidé de modifier le parcours de la CCC. C'est une perturbation orageuse menaçante qui a conduit la direction de course à effectuer ce changement. Départ à 10h d'Italie, monté directement au refuge Bertone. Le parcours évitera aussi Bovine, Catogne et la Tête aux Vents. Les coureurs passeront plus directement dans les vallées."

and UTMB will now start at 11:30 tonight and not the usual 6pm. forecast is for it to be colder, lots of rain, possibly some snow.

• Options
    You wouldn't have known it. Very very very tough day. Finished in 18.17 absolutely destroyed, prep and fitness weren't ideal going into this and it really isn't something you can just bimble around.
    Brilliant race, incredible course and awesome support, I'll be back again for the full course next year. Cheers again for your advice fb
  • Options
    Lirish - Well done. Did you finish the course, sorry your previous post is unclear.
  • Options
    Sorry Stephen, yeah I finished, was an awesome day but tinged a little by how little thought I put into things, really should have paid the course more respect and prepped more. Tearing a calf muscle on the way up Tete de la Tronche didn't help but that's not an excuse
  • Options
    Well done again and I hope the calf gets better soon. Have you thought of entering the L100 next year, a fantastic event.
  • Options
    I did look at that last year and was very tempted, the deciding factor for me was that my map reading simply isn't up to scratch and I really don't have the impetus to improve it. Poor excuse I know
  • Options
    Hi all,

I don't have all the points needed for UTMB 2012 so I was planning to go for either the CCC or TDS instead. Does anyone have any recommendations as to one over the other? And if so, why?

Cheers
  • Options
    Charles I haven't done the TDS so I can't give you a comparison but I can say with absolute certainty the CCC is an incredible race through some awesome scenery. Whichever you choose I'm sure you'll love. After you finish.
  • Options
    Thanks Lirish - that's strong enough recommendation for me. Will go for that one I think.
  • Options
    Lirish - well done on finishing on a tough day, and despite the course being "downgraded" would still be tough. it just goes to show that you can't blag these Alpine races unless you have some decent knowledge of how serious the terrain is compared to the gentle UK.
  • Options

I couldn't agree more fb, I knew this was going to be tougher than any of the UK races I had done of comparable length but I had no idea how much tougher it would be. The climbs were brutal and just interminable, hours of just putting one foot in front of another with fale summit after false summit, followed by almost unrunnable downhills.

If anyone is considering this or any of the other courses I STRONGLY recommend a recce weekend before the race.

• Options
    yep - the terrain bears no relation to anything you will find in the UK - Snowdonia and the Cairngorms come close in many ways for the type of terrain, but not the "intensity" of it, or the volume.

and Killian Jornet coming close to breaking 20hrs in the UTMB is pretty phenomenal.
  • Options
    I saw him come in at the finish and he looked pretty fresh, fantastic achievement
  • Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Well done on your efforts - There are some good vids on youtube of Kilian finishing and there was a programme on Eurosport that lasted 30 - 40 mins following mainly the front guys and also Lizzie Hawker. Worth a watch if you can find a repeat of it or find it online. It was just called Adventure. Kilian was pulling ahead and then sitting at the aid stations waiting for the other guys to catch up and setting off with them again.

• Options
    I'm trying to decide between TDS and CCC after picking up 4 points from the WHW race this year . Are they easy to navigate ? Not sure wherever to do the ballot for 2012 or 2013 , as I want to make sure I have plenty of Mountain running experience .

Cheers
  • Options
    They're completely way marked so navigation isn't an issue, even in the dead of night there's a luminous marker every couple of hundred of metres.
    And very good idea about the mountain running
  • Options

If you haven't got much mountain running experience I'd recommend starting with CCC rather than TDS. I didn't find the terrain on CCC any more technical than e.g. the Lakeland 50 or Fellsman. The big difference is that the climbs and descents last much, much longer. And bad weather can have a much bigger effect.

[disclaimer: I haven't done TDS] 

• Options
    Thanks for the info, much appreciated
  • Options
    I would suggest anyone considering UTMB or the other variants on at the time read Dan A's report on his race at this year's UTMB - all the highs and lows of a tough event. it's well worth taking the time to read it...

it's in the Sub3 thread in the Spring Marathon section if anyone's interested
  • Options
    Strange place to put it but I'll have a look at it, cheers fb
  • Options
    that's where DanA lives most of the time on the forum - he's a speedy marathon runner as well as a talented ultrarunner
  • Options
    And from the deserved responses he's gotten on the thread an all around nice bloke too
  • Options

I've done the CCC in 2009 and the modified CCC in 2010. It's a great race with amazing scenery. From what I've heard (friends who have done the TDS) the CCC course is less technical so definitely a good idea to do it as a first Mont Blanc race.

I did this years UTMB which was incredibly tough - weather conditions to start with were horrific with rain, cold winds and snow (on Col de la Seigne it was more like being in Siberia). Also the chnges in the race course after the race had started were really confusing. It was difficult to get any information on where we were going (from Champex on), how long it was etc. and it wasn't because of any language problem (I speak Italian and French), it was because none of the course volunteers had a real idea. The diversion down to Martigny and back up to Col de Forclaz was long, difficult and for those like me who did it during the day, hot (those who did it in the night said it was difficult and the descent was very steep).

It seems (various GPS readings) that in the end we ended up doing something like 170 - 175km instead of the original 166km while the total altitude meters remained about the same.

Any UK residences wishing to do the UTMB should really concentrate on getting their climbing and descending strength and abilities at a high level (not talking about elites who are obviously used to that).

Definitely worth doing but be warned it's tough.

• Options
    DazDaz ✭✭✭
    Got my 5pts for 2012 application.  Anyone know what the chances are of getting through the ballot?  Is it a safe bet?
    Endurance Coach @ DazCarterFitness.com
    Elite Ironman, Ultra Trail Runner
  • Options
    I seem to remember they posted the percentage of successful applicants for each of the 4 races on the website last year. They may still be on there somewhere.
    I'll send in mine for the UTMB this year, I enjoyed the CCC so much this year and as FB said that was only half way....
  • Options

I would put the chances at 50/50. I think there's going to be a lot of applicants this year as it is the 10th anniversary. Also the popularity of ultra trail races is growing all over Europe.

If you get turned down for the UTMB they give you the immediate chance to sign up for one of the other races (CCC or TDS) as long as there are free slots in those, so you still have the possibility of doing a great race.

I'm going to sign up directly for the TDS so that I can complete the triple (already done CCC and UTMB) and then follow a number of friends who will hopefully be doing the UTMB.

• Options
    Fingers crossed for GB entries! Really want to do the CCC image
  • Options
    Ballot opens tomorrow folks, best of luck for those applying!
  • Options

Will be getting my entry in for CCC tomorrow then the long wait till January to find out - can I wait that long!! Will be my first >50miler - think I'll be training with a few long weekends in the lakes...... here's hoping!!!