Options

London to Brighton ultra run

Comments

• Options
    Also my first ultra! Live to far away to do any recce's so hoping to run with a few people who know the way. The weather forecast is 8 to 12 degrees and a chance it could be windy. Although that is a forecast seven days in advance so not that accurate.
  • Options
    me too.. Apprehensive and very nervous! I'm also excited - we can get through it together! X
  • Options

Excited and growing increasing nervous!

Just finished sorting my stuff for the support crew, I appear to have packed all manor of crap just in case.

I'm watching the weather as well as it can change massively on one side of the downs to the other. Quite often in Surrey where I work it’s raining and really windy but down towards Brighton where I live it’s brilliant sunshine. That’s why I’ve got so many changes of clothes. I just hope it’s rain free on race day.

Hope everyone has a good weeks sleep and feels refreshed from Saturday nights meal and early night.

Sunrise in Blackheath for today was 6:50 so the first hour is going to be dark so I'm packing my small head torch just to give me enough light for the first hour.

My race number 263

What's everyone doing after the race? I'm getting a pint of cider and a plate of  fish and chips!

• Options

Well last physio session done - just hoping now that my knee holds out! As with the past few posts this is my first ultra and the nerves are starting to kick in!

Darren - great shout on post race activities! Cannot wait to get there are get the (well deserved) beers in.

• Options
    Great to see a few comments and sensing a lot of positives. image
  • Options

Not great reading on the BBC website! "By Saturday some bright weather is likely although with showers affecting the northwest. Southern and eastern areas getting the best of the dry weather where it should also feel reasonably warm in any sunshine.However low pressure looks set to reassert itself, bringing rain and strengthening winds piling in to the northwest and spreading across the country during Sunday." Thinking positively though the BBC aren't always right, i'll just have to run a bit faster and finish before the rain arrives from the northwest which is along way away.image

• Options

Hope everyone’s training’s gone well. My long runs haven't been as long as I would have liked, but my overall mileage has been solid. The other day I was comparing my regime now with what I ran in the build up to the London marathon this year – there is NO comparison!

Bib number 214 btw.

Happy tapering. image

• Options

Good luck to everyone doing this on Sunday!!  Remember to eat and drink, especially when you don't feel like it as you get tired.

I did it last year and it was both fabulous and totally exhausting. Thinking about doing it again next year, so if anyone has a scan of the new route so I can recce it without waiting for the map pack, please could you email it to darrenapi AT live DOT co DOT uk?

I'll think of you all on Sunday, but not at 6am !!

• Options
    Ah the weather. we will be fine image
  • Options

Looking froward to a 57 mile swim on Sunday - good luck everyone, see you on the start line image

Anyone else doing a run/walk strategy or am I the only one?

• Options

Hello,

I am certainly joining the discussion a tad late. I will be running this Sunday (was supposed to do so with a friend, but he cannot make it unfortunately).
    I also have in mind a run/walk strategy to avoid burning out after 30 miles.

I have never really done any self-navigating run (apart from living in London and having to find my way there). Being quite optmistic about it, and counting on the sheeps' herd strateggy (following everyone).

See you all on SUnday,

• Options

Morning all.

Shame about the weather, but so be it ... as if we didn't need it any more challenging! I'm doing the run with a work colleague (our first Ultra) and will be staying at the Greenwich Travelodge on Saturday night.  Invested in a decent waterproof and windproof jacket this week, just in case!

We've got a couple of support crews in tow, and have arranged two further meeting points away from the checkpoints, which will probably be busy. Anyway they're both at country pubs ... well any kind of rehydration is good rehydration, isn't it?

Just doing some final logistics planning and a few last bits and bobs to buy. I think the head torch is going to need to be pressed into use for the first hour but can be ditched later with the crew. I'm just going to stuff a large bag with all types of kit for the boot and take whatever food I think will work (although I fully expect not to want to eat anything!).

Any veterans with some last minute advice???

Rich

• Options
    Hi rich

Did this last year and running it again on sat. Eat from early on even if you don't feel like it. I do gels every hour and eat everytime I meet my crew (9 miles or so) you'll struggle later o if your unit fueling up from the off.

Mcjack the field spreads out especially after cp1 last year I went miles without seeing anyone the would see people looking at Maps Trying to figure what path of the three to take image
  • Options

Weather's meant to be ok on Sunday.....isn't it?  The forecast I'm looking at says it'll be fine earlier, wet & windy by later, but by then we'll all be having a paddle in the English Channel and tucking into fish & chips.

Darka - I'm not sure if you'd describe my efforts as run/walk, but there'll certainly be plenty of walking amongst sporadic outbreaks of running!

McJack - that's 2 of us without much confidence in navigational ability then - I shall follow advice given much earlier in this forum which was to make sure you're pointing south at all times, then (apparently) you can't go wrong.   Lingster, if I see 3 paths, I'm taking the middle one every time.

Hopefully see some of you at Clarendon on Sat evening / crack of dawn Sun morning.  

Bib no.156

• Options

That makes two of us Klute image

Hope to meet some of you at the Clarendon on Saturday.

Bib No. 7

• Options

Darka, number 7 - they clearly expect you to be quick!

Does anyone know what the field number is? I saw the cap set as 200 on one website and then on the riderhq entry page shows a race limit of 500?

Here are the race numbers of those that posted

214 - Bronn
    263 - Darren
    156 - Klute
    7 -    Darka
    233 - Lingster

• Options
    Any more for the restaurant Saturday?
  • Options
    What time is it booked for prep ?
  • Options
    Between 6 and 7, fairly casual. What time you want picking up?
  • Options
    6:45 ish if thats ok . If those going for the meal meet in the bar at the claredon hotel for between 6:00 and 6:30 the more the merrier see you all tomorrow.....
  • Options

Have a restful night everyone, see some of you tomorrow at the Clarendon and the rest of you nice and early on Sunday!

@darren, If only I was quick then I wouldn't let them down image, I'll do my best anyway.

Good luck everyone

• Options

Cool, I'll be there at 6 chewing my nails worringly.

• Options
    So, I've just looked at last year's times and only 5 women completed, only 3 of whom finished within the cut-off!!!! Are there any other girls out there other than Carali and me?!

Bib 137
  • Options

Wow...after a lot of attempts to get on the flippin' forum i'm finally on...48 hrs before the event! 

Good luck for Sunday everyone whose running...i've done a few ultras but this is the biggest for me so far...i'm excited & terrified all rolled into one at present!

Steve (Bib 179)

• Options

I'm feeling surprisingly calm, I think the fear will set in later image

Final bit of shopping and then off to catch my train later this afternoon.

See you all in the morning for a little run...

• Options
    Ruth, be inspired, girls are good at this, and you are prepared image
  • Options

not feeling all too calm at the moment. Bit more shopping, then getting on the train as well. And what to pack for the weather?? Looking at my bag it looks like I'll be gone for a week!

I am bibno 83. Planning on doing a run/walk as well.

Ruth, you're not the only woman. My colleague is running it as well (no 84 I think). 

• Options
    At hotel seems real all of a sudden doesn't seem like a year ago I was here last. No going back now good luck to everyone running tomorrow look forward to meeting some of you on the run.
  • Options
    Can't wait to see you all and finally put names to faces! I've not been sure about what to wear, but think it's going to be quite cold, so am opting for long tights!