Options

Two stone off!

Comments

• Options
    Weigh in this morning, have lost 1 of the 2lbs I put on when I lost my motivation for 2 weeks. So that's not too bad, next few weeks are critical to keeping up the good work.

Sorry to hear about the Shin splints, bad news, I know nothings worse than being out of action. I think I'm at 4 weeks this Sunday and back at the physio on Thursday. I am allowed to go for a short run this week if I have no pain, but I have to be honest with myself, it's very sore.

So footie instead this afternoon and must concentrate on my diet, so that I can come out of this healthier and lighter. Must be London marathon reject / accept letters this week for those who applied?
  • Options

Well done Andy. I'm sure you'll keep it up over the coming few weeks. Who do you support? Dundee have had a shocker of a start to the new season.

1 pound off yesterday which I am very pleased with. Not been as active over the last week as I have been over the last few months so just glad not to put anything on. Must try and get out more but other commitments (and the darker mornings!) are conspiring against me.

• Options

2lbs lost this week amazingly!  Well done on yours Andy & Grant.

Thank you guys, I dusted off my bike yesterday to keep fitness up, although opted for long dog walk tonight.  How have you kept going Andy?

Think London is first week of October

• Options

Well done R4Me!

I got out for 2 miles on Tuesday morning and then played squash at night after cycling to the gym. Meant to go for a swim this morning but I fancied a lie in, but will definitely get out for 2.5 miles tomorrow. I am definitely going to do a half marathon in May so really need to get my mileage up in the not too distant future.

• Options
    Yesterday was OK - then went downhill - then improved with a 10 miler last night.

Driving home last night, I rounded a bend, only to find a car on my side of the road heading towards me at some rate. Split second stuff, but managed to just avoid a head on crash, but the other car took off my wing-mirror, and hit the rear of my car. I pulled up where I could and walked back to exchange details, and the charmer had simply buggered off. Got home and reported it all to the insurance people, and they basically said that without their details, it will be a claim against my insurance - excess and loss of no-claims will result. I'm relieved I wasn't hurt at all, but it is incredibly galling. I'm clearly not advocating this, but it seems the lesson is that if you cause an accident, and can get away with not exchanging details, you will get away with it.

Anyway, an hour spent on the phone when I got in, so decided to relieve the stress and went out for an evening run. Cooled down somewhat from a hot day, and I put in a good 10 miles. Feel pretty ready for the half in a couple of weeks: first race in a long time I can say that.
  • Options

Grant how did the 2.5 go?

Dan, blimey you were so lucky! Its rubbish about the insurance tho, but you did come out of it in one piece image  Well done on the 10!

Got my London letter this morning, it's a reject, oh well fancy Loch Ness more anyway!

Still to face the bike image

• Options
    I'm fine - I have a mate who owns a bodyshop. Might see if he can do me a deal.

Got my VLM rejection today as well. Ho hum - I would have been deferring anyway - only a week after Brighton. Thinking about Manchester though.

• Options
    Decided it was weigh-in time. Lost 7lbs in about 3 weeks! Gotta love the end of training plans!
  • Options

Dan - Sadly this seems to be the way with today's society, people not prepared to take responsibility for their actions, really quite depressing really. Sounds like you are very lucky to walk away without a scratch from that one! Good to hear you at least got a good run out of it! Which half are you doing? And well done on the half stone weight loss!

Well the 2.5 miles went by without incident so I have concluded that my old shoes were either contributing to, or not providing support to help, my sore knee. Wore my new shoes yesterday and the knee felt fine. Had a couple of pints at a funeral in the afternoon and can feel it this morning, that's always the case these days since I've pretty much given up alcohol since April. Pathetic I know!

• Options
    grant mgrant m ✭✭✭
    Weigh in for me this morning and another pound off taking me to 14 stone 7 pounds . Also managed 3 miles this morning too. Happy with that!

How did everyone else get on?
  • Options
    11 miles for me this morning. Got out early, but it was still a tough one. I'm trying to avoid refuelling on long training runs, partly to maximize the effect of gels on race days, and partly to encourage fat burning. But was running on empty for the last 3 miles. Still 35 miles this week - a PB.
  • Options

AOL Broadband....... aaaaagh!!!!!

Sorry to hear about the accident Dan, you must have been so angry, but the important thing is that youre ok. Looks like youre putting in some great runs though.

So saw the physio this week and looks like I'm going to be out for a while with achilles tendonitus.  Extremely frustrated. With it being my 2nd spell in just over 12 months, and possibly out for the rest of the year, I've also taken the really difficult decision to ask my charity to pass on my 2012 London Marathon Gold Bond place to someone else - i know theyre revising lists what with the ballot letters going out this week (mine was a rejection), so i think it was the responsible thing to do.

I'm therefore revising my plans for 2012. Still want to do another marathon, still need to lose the extra 1 stone on top of what i've lost, but also desperately sort the underlying problem thats causing the tendonitus. In the meantime may even join a gym to keep fitness up and strengthen myself, with the aim of a Half Marathon in Spring and an Autumn Marathon - possibly Snowdonia.

So apologies for tales of misery, but still need to lose this weight! Well done to everyone else who seems to be shifting some good lbs.  

• Options
    grant mgrant m ✭✭✭

Dan - Well done on your weekly PB, sounds like you're in great shape for your race.

Andy - Gutted for you on the achilles. How is it with other activities such as gymwork or cycling? I am planning a Half Marathon in the spring and an Autumn Marathon too, just fingers crossed you stay fit.

I slept in this morning (phone switched itself off, I need a back up alarm in future) so didn't get out. Off to Portugal on Sunday and wanted to get 3 in before the weekend which I don't think I'll manage now sadly unless I can sneak out tonight.

• Options
    grant mgrant m ✭✭✭
    Btw Dan, the Aberdeen 10k is confirmed for the 4th December.
  • Options
    Hopefully other activities will be ok, will soon find out!

Which Autumn marathon are you aiming for? Am interested in any ideas!
  • Options
    grant mgrant m ✭✭✭
    I am targeting the Berlin Marathon! image Fingers crossed your ankle holds up to whatever you decide to throw at it.
  • Options
    Fantastic idea.... My wife (albeit after a few glasses of wine at a party...) was telling me on Saturday night that I should try and do something similar. Whilst I love the idea of a marathon abroad, not quite so keen on a cramped flight back the day... I did look up the dates of the Prague and Budapest half marathons, and was thinking of a HM abroad and a home marathon.

All this planning keeps me motivated whilst I stretch, ice, rest, stretch etc etc.... Great diet week though. And I even have broadband back, for the sake of my own sanity though, I hope I never have to call AOL ever again.

How's everyone else this week? Only just seen your 7lbs in 3 weeks Dan, that's great work, well done. I know you've told us before, but which half marathon is it next?

• Options
    Aviemore on the 16th. Some minor shin splints are nagging, but I a reckon they will be OK in a couple of days (rest, ice, compression and ibuleve gel).

Tend to agree about overseas marathons - probably a short flight. Amsterdam looks good (you can do a HM there as well).
  • Options
    Had a look at Amsterdam yesterday, definitely an option, particularly as my wife has a friend who's moved there and we're always being invited. How are the niggles?

Weigh in yesterday and have lost 1lb. My aim is to lose 1lb per week for the next 7 weeks which will take me to the 2 stone. In the past when I've been injured have piled on lbs, not going to let that happen, determined to be able to restart in better shape.

Off for a day tomorrow so will join a gym on a short term membership. Phoned around on Friday, I know it's stating the obvious, but theyre not cheap are they. Quoted £180 for 3 months by my most local. Thankfully there are better options.

Everyone enjoying the weekend?
  • Options
    Hello all, quiet week. How's everyone? Hopefully you'll be heading up North towards Aviemore Dan. Good luck and let us know how you get on!
  • Options
    grant mgrant m ✭✭✭

Morning all,

I am just back from a week away in Portugal - relaxation and pigging out on ice cream (every day!) and great food the order of the day. I took my running stuff but felt a bit run down the first few days and the enthusiasm never really gripped me which is odd as I was really looking forward to getting out before I left. How I lost a further 2 pounds I'll never know though! image Back to running this week, although trying to fit it around my squash and other commitments is proving rather tricky these days.

Andy - Sounds like you are focussed on the weight loss, good for you! Have you managed to get a gym sorted? And as for Amsterdam, sounds like a great idea! I plan on taking on the Berlin Marathon as part of a long weekend or even longer break, really looking forward to it!

Dan - Hope you got on well on Sunday!

• Options
    Well, I had a fab time this weekend. Obviously missed the family, but a weekend away isn't too shabby. Aviemore Half-Marathon is a fantastic race. Its really well organised; lovely people: a good balance of people who knew what running was about (so very little dodgy in and out of people who have blown up at 2 miles), and serious club runners; and the most glorious route. Fluctuating for the first 5 miles (or so) around Loch Morlich, and then steadily downhill to the finish in the centre of town. Time: 2 hrs 4 mins and 55 seconds: 14 minutes inside my PB!!! Well chuffed, and I really boosted my motivation for Brighton. I can't recommend the race too highly - we should all do it next year! The only downside is the weather is a bit of a gamble: it was fantastic on Sunday, but I left the town in rain with snow on the hills this morning!
  • Options

Hi guys and girls,

It's been really interesting and inspirational reading your thread and i'll be following it regularly now!  I am in a similar to a few people.... I trained to run a half marathon last year which helped me reach my goal weight for my wedding day which was in May this year.  Unfortunately the wedding plans got in the way and I didn't get the time to run the half marathon but after a very indulgeny honeymoon, lots of celebratory dinner with friends and another holiday I find myself a stone and a half heavier and a little less fit.  I'm back down to running about 6km comfortably so I have a long way to go and like others am finding it a lot harder with this extra stone!!!!   I'm finding it harder to shift the weight this time and much harder to get the distance up in my running but hopefully little by little i'll get there....?! 

I've booked on to the Silverstone half marathon in March so no excuses now......!

Becky

• Options
    Hey Becky, well done for signing up to Silverstone, a race which was in my spring marathon build up plans when I had marathon plans. You will get there, and I think youve got past a big hurdle in getting back to the 6km stage. Those 1st few ks are really tough when you haven't been out for a while. And belated congratulations on the wedding...!

So Dan, that's a great time, you must be so happy with that. Reading your post the other week about your training levels did make me think you were in good shape, and I'm sure the weight loss has helped. Aviemore sounds good too, and reading the events thread with all the great reviews of Aviemore and other events around the country, has helped me realise that there's plenty of other things for me to do next year other than London. The list is getting too long already though...!

Signed up for a tiny gym at a local hotel very convenient for me. Achilles still sore, but enjoying the different exercise especially given the evenings are getting cold and dark, and have been 5x in the week I've been a member. All the staff are aware I've banned myself from using the running machines, just in case temptation gets the better of me. Hope you enjoyed Portugal Grant.
  • Options
    Lost 3lbs in the last 2 weeks at my official weigh in this morning.... Very pleased. Have a good weekend everyone.
  • Options
    Nice one Andy: I appear to be relaxing a bit too much after Aviemore, and have put a couple of pounds back on. 10 miles tomorrow should begin to shift that!
  • Options
    grant mgrant m ✭✭✭
    Dan - Glad to hear you had such a great experience at Aviemore and cracking effort on the PB! Hope you had a good 10 miles today.

Andy - How is your injury coming along, managed to stay off the treadmills?! Well done on the weigh in!

Becky - Welcome! And good effort signing up for a race in March, in my opinion that's the best way to keep motivated, that and keeping a log of your running.

Not been running for 3 weeks or so now, first felt a bit crappy on holiday and now developed an infection in my big toe. Have had to play squash on it which is hampering recovery I think, might give it another couple of days to go away before I think about a trip to the docs. Weigh in on Saturday was good news though, another 2 pounds off. Wife then dropped the bombshell that she doesn't want me any thinner, and my target weight is still over a stone away!
  • Options
    Well grant I guess that's a good problem to have.... So how much have you lost in total now then? You've managed to lose it so consistently as well. Hope the toe gets better, get it checked out, it should speed up recovery.

Don't worry about a small weight gain Dan, everyone deserves a break from the intensive training and dieting. If I remember rightly you'd applied for London as well as having a Brighton place hadn't you? Or am I getting confused with someone else... If I'm right did you get a London place or are you definitely Brighton? You may have posted something a few weeks ago about London when I was sulking about being injured....apologies if I missed it.

Achilles doesn't feel too bad and I can't feel the swelling as much, so hope that's a good sign. Went to the gym 5x again last week and really enjoying it. It's a tiny place, very quiet, but that suits me - worked out the times already when it's empty.

• Options
    grant mgrant m ✭✭✭

Andy - start weight of 17st10, now at 14st3, bang on 3.5 stone lost. Just dipped under the 200 pound barrier too which is nice. My target weight is based on the "normal" / "overweight" boundary on my BMI chart. Although I believe relying on BMI is a bit pointless, it would be nice to not being officially "overweight" for once in my life. I believe body fat is a far better indicator of health mind you. I feel better which is all that matters I guess!

Well done on the gym Andy, I still have a little bit of a belly which is all I am concerned with now, might try to get back into doing some weight training to try and tone up my abs. (As an aside - I am happy with the rest of me though - my face, arms, legs, moobs (or part of me formerly known as moobs! image), etc. One downside is my wedding ring keeps on falling off, need to get it resized.) What have you been doing at the gym - cross training or more resistance type stuff?

• Options
    Resistance type stuff, and loads of time on the bike given I can't use the treadmills. Haven't used the pool much yet, but already have my eye on Sunday when wife and daughter head up north for a party, so will go for a longer session then.

Am cautiously optimistic about Achilles, and assuming that everything goes ok in the next 2 weeks will be entering the Manchester Marathon which is on April 29th, a good alternative to London I think. I can then do the normal half marathon warm ups.

3.5 stone is a massive effort... Well done again.