Options

Two stone off!

Comments

• Options

Hello guys & Hello Becky image

Well done on your loses & acheivments image

Not lost, in fact put on, been yo-yoing. The first 2lb was short lived. Little one was back and forth to hospital, so seemed to stuff myself at every oppertunity as never knew when would eat next! So put on, then lost 5lbs, then went away for weekend to Aviemore to see family!

Dan we had your snow in Aviemore, walked up Cairn Gorm in snow, was fantastic! Unfortunatly that also gave me licence to eat whatever I wanted!!

Ran for the first time Tuesday 2.8 miles, was very happy! It poured down half a mile in, totally drenched through to the skin, but I loved every second of it! Today shins a bit tender if I press hard. So unsure of what to do tonight, as had planned to run again. 

Didn't get London in the ballott or running club ballott.  Looking for an Autumn one to sign up for image

Halloween Party saturday & family birthday sunday, then back on the straight & narrow!

x

• Options
    Nice one Grant: I'm about at the 3.5 stone lost as well, but it has taken me 22 months to do that.

RFM - I've been up Cairngorm in snow as well - many years ago with school, but the weather was so bad, our teacher suggested we use the chair lifts and then walk the last bit (this was very pre-monorail thing). I have a photo of our group at the weather station, and it was an absolute white-out - truly Arctic. Autumn Marathon: I hear good things about Chester, and the first Liverpool marathon got good reviews (anything Run Liverpool organise will be well delivered).

My running: I'm back on the case - well, to be honest, haven't dipped since the half-marathon. Ten miles on Sunday, and I will hit my first 100 mile month - Woo Hoo!!
  • Options

Thank Dan, will have a look at those two.  We did cheat and get the monorail back down!

100 mile month, WOW! Thats alot of miles, what an achievement! Good luck! image

• Options
    100 miles is great effort Dan, and what's this rumour I hear that curry and beer is the perfect pre half marathon meal for a PB????

If you're feeling really brave RFM, how about looking at Snowdonia for autumn? Obviously it's tough but it gets rave reviews. Sorry to hear about the stresses at home, hope little one is ok.

My official weigh in tomorrow, should be down the odd lb, and i think I'm almost injury free. Very little pain. Physio next week to ask permission for a gentle run, and am 99% convinced to enter Manchester marathon in April. Have a good weekend all.

• Options
    2lbs lost this week...
  • Options
    grant mgrant m ✭✭✭

RFM - Glad to hear you loved getting out and running! Sorry to hear about your little one, stuff like that is always unsettling so don't worry about a little bit of yo-yoing.

Dan - 100 miles is fantastic, well done! Better than my 0 miles in October. image

Andy - Great news on the weight loss but even better news is the fact you are almost injury free! image

After 4 days of anti-biotics my toe is nearly back to full health. Still playing squash twice a week but wanting to get out and running again so went for a couple of long walks (4+ miles each) with the pushchair today to check my legs / toe out and seemed to go ok-ish (see below). Will try and go out on Wednesday I think, going to start back at 2 miles though and take things easy, my knee did feel a bit funny for a bit today and I am wary of hurting it again. Oh, and lost another 2 pounds on my Saturday weigh-in! image

• Options

Well, as instructed by Dan E, here I am dropping by!image

164 days to Brighton Marathon so 1 lb a week weight loss plus an extra 4 lbs will get the 2 stone off!

All I've lost so far is the plot, several times!image

Missed GSR last week after getting a stomach bug two weeks before and so did sensible, but hard, thing and withdrew.

So who has already lost 2 stone?image

(last two messages disappeared into cyberspace so third time lucky?)

• Options
  • Options
    The Green Fairy returns home! Welcome back. All bow respectively please to our founder.

Dan and Grant have lost well over 2 stone, and generally done fantastic in both running and weight loss. I'm at 1stone 12, but have spent some time recently sulking and being generally miserable about being injured. Recieved the physio go ahead to start running again on Wednesday and will slowly build back up.

Sorry to hear you missed the GNR, and well done Dan for finding you.
  • Options

I have lurked from time to time!image

Ooohh go easy with that building up Andy, so tempting to do more than you should cos you 'feel ok'.  But well done on losing the weight, and Dan and Grant too! So if they have lost two stone that puts me about...er...let me think...two stone behind you both!image.image

Have a sore thigh so waiting to take the plunge.  I walking about all day for work so getting some exercise!

161 days to Brighton Marathonimage

• Options
    No weight loss this week but a 1.5mile run makes up for it. Will be taking things very easy thanks GF, my Achilles did feel tight yesterday after hurrying back to car after football. Indulged too much last night, with chinese and lots of wine with friends.

BTW, is anyone planning any Half marathon warm ups in februray / march? I've had my Manchester marathon place confirmed for April 29, may do Blackpool HM or possibly Silverstone. Unfortunately my local Stafford HM clashes with a long planned family event.

How's the toe Grant? Are you back out running yet?

• Options
    I still feel I could do with losing another two stone, so I'm resetting the challenge to today. Gorgeous 12 miles today: breathless, sunny, frosty and misty day here in Glossop: only problem was dodging the spent fireworks when I cam back off the trail. Podcasts on the phone: felt I could go on forever.

Off now to the pub for lunch (no beer though, and its a vegan pub, so the food is pretty healthy); then Tesco image then back for a little snooze on the sofa. Weekends - dontcha love 'em?

• Options

Morning all,

Weekend away (and ate and drank to ridiculous levels of excess, for me anyway) so just the 3 pounds gained! image Got squash on Tuesday and Friday, going to try and get out running on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday and kick start my running. Still not been out since early October. It just looks so cold and wet outside....

Dan - Good idea on resetting the challenge.

Andy - Good to hear you're nearly back to full fitness.

Green Fairy - Hello!

• Options
    Nothing better than doing an easy long run out into the country, when you've been training for longer and know you can just enjoy it. Good time of year as well, just before it gets really cold.

Don't forget when you get into the big marathon training runs in the New Year you'll probably lose some weight naturally but your body will crave and need lots more food, so that's a tough balance and don't assume you can lose too much weight during those weeks.

Another 2 miles of nervous Achilles paranoid steps, hope to get to the gym tonight. And get yourself out Grant..... !

• Options
    Saturday weigh in 1lb lost. How's everyone else?
  • Options

Well done Andy, achilles still ok?

I lost 2 pounds on my weigh-in on Saturday, another 1 pound to lose to be at my pre-weekend away level a couple of weeks back. Still not been out yet but made my first tentative steps, this morning I drafted my running programme taking me through to an Autumn Marathon next year, probably Berlin but somehow if I manage to find some spare cash - Chicago! image

• Options

Weigh in at the doctors on Friday - 2.5 pounds down, but that was over a month. This weekedn was a combination of different birthday celebrations for my other half. Tried to keep it in check, but probably a bit too much cake was had.

So, the 14 miles on Sunday was definitely needed: managed to leave drinks and energy gel in the house, and realised just as the front door shut. Didn't feel able to wake the house up to get them, so set off with the intention of doing 10 or so miles, but when I got to there, I felt OK, so pushed on for a few more miles, and felt pretty good throughout. My longest ever runimage!

• Options
    Hi all I have a dream!! A dream to lose 68lbs! A massive task I know but I am 30 years old next month and a bit of a physical wreck I will keep posting results as and when they happen!!
  • Options
    Welcome and it's a big target, but definitely achievable! Grant in particular on this thread has lost a big amount, so it shows what can be achieved. Try giving yourself a Christmas target, so that you're breaking down the 68lbs into smaller amounts. Good luck and keep us posted.

Well done on the 14miles Dan, you seem to be enjoying it and taking it all in your stride - are you going to start to follow a formal 16/18 week marathon programme in a few weeks time?

My long run on Sunday was back up to 4 miles and loved it. Achilles all good so far Grant, thanks for asking, not allowed to do to much though. Gym tomorrow, run Wednesday.
  • Options

ive caught this thread at the end  so sorry if i repeat anything that anyone has said!!

I'm looking to loose weight whilst i train too, how do i know if i have lost any and not just gained muscle rather then fat?

As you train doesnt the fat turn to muscle and therefore is heavier?

im sure i am smaller as my clothes fit loads better, but the scales are not reflecting this?

• Options
    Welcome and a good new question, which I really don't have the answer to, but will throw in my comments.

My view would be that muscle and fat weigh the same (1lb of fat would weigh the same as 1lb of muscle...). Muscle is however more dense than fat, and if you look at a picture on the Internet of the same weight of muscle and fat, you'll see that the fat spreads over almost twice the area. If you exercise I don't think that the fat turns into muscle as such, but you can obviously burn fat as well as build muscle. So it is likely that your clothes fit better, because previously the jelly like fat would have spread over a wider area.

I guess body fat indicators are the way of understanding how this has improved, but am no expert on this. When I was injured and started hitting the gym, I was seeing small weight losses but after a few weeks definitely notice my clothes fitting better. I'm hoping that now I'm building my running back up that it will help my weight loss more, but will continue to go to the gym other days.

Would be interested in other peoples views, and whether this is down to the types of exercise, or whether this is all clouded in myth and lack of science...

Anyway 1lb lost again, so am officially in the 2 stone club...!
  • Options

Nice one andy: I probably need to check my weight and check I havn't been thrown out of the 2 stone club! My long run is now up to 14 miles, but there may have been a danger of relaxing a bit too much on the 'input' side: three family bithdays over the last week!

Blondie: welcome aboard! I think you are basically right: you will have toned up, but it might take a bit longer for the scales to reflect this - but they will. I've read various theories about what is the best type of running to shift the weight: long slow runs apparently are really good fat burners, but others suggest that interval running (ie. faster paced runs) will use up the most calories. I guess the answer is probably a combination of the two.

A couple of pounds on might have explained slightly reduced paces over the week: (just) missed a pace target for a tempo session earlier this week, and was knackered at the start of my long run yesterday, but completed it in a pretty reasonable time (actually, probably a bit too quick).

• Options
    Weigh in yersterday and another 1lb lost, which is consistent. Managed a 5 mile run yesterday without too much reaction, and really enjoying being back out there.

Really tired this weekend due to our little girl having a bug and being up every hour or so coughing and coming in to us. But I have spent a good hour this morning looking at ideas for running gear for Xmas as I need a few things and am being asked what I want.

How's everyone?
  • Options
    15 miles in some serious wind this morning: felt pretty good. Showered and decided to weigh myself after getting home: may have been a bit dehydrated, but had downed a protein shake and some water before hand. Result: 9 pounds down in 3 weeks. I'll take that!
  • Options

Still no running for me, simply have not had the time unfortunately. Keeping busy with squash though (3 or 4 hours a week) has resulted in another couple of pounds lost. Will definitely get back to the running soon and may need to as I am targetting losing 5 pounds before Christmas (would take me up to 4 stone lost in total).

Dan / Andy - Well done to you both! image

• Options
    Well done Dan, when you're running that distance do you stop to take on water or do you take some with you? I have to plan that in once I get to longer distances.

Anyway well done on all the weight loss, although we will continue to encourage you to get back into your running Grant....!
  • Options

Well done you guys are doing fab!

Since last here not run on medical advice as found I was pregnant, lost baby yesterday and trying to fill the void with concentrating on running and getting myself sorted for our two kids. 

I'm back upto 11st 9lbs goal is 10st.  Half marathon on 1st April booked.

Garmin 205 is now top of my Christmas list.  Waiting to find out when I can start running again.  In the meantime will be very good with food!

x

• Options
    Running for me: sincere sympathies - I can only imagine the loss. Hope the running helps.

Andy: I take a 500ml bottle of high carb rehydration drink: also take an energy gel half way round.

Anyone up for the Jantastic challenge? If you don't know about it, it is part of the Marathon Talk website: you sign up here http://www.marathontalk.com/challenges/spring_motivation.php

All you have to do is say how many runs per week you will do in January, and then log them. If we want, we could set up Team Two Stone Off. Marathon Talk is a weekly free podcast, and always worth a listen!
  • Options

R4Me - I am very sorry to hear about your baby, like Dan says I hope the running helps. Have you been able to get out yet?

Dan - Jantastic looks like a good plan. I am going to review my plan for the New Year, doing a half in May and need to get a plan sorted for that.

No running yet, am being realistic and putting running on hold for now. Still losing weight through a healthy diet and other forms of exercise so pretty happy with not running for now. 2 pounds lost on Saturday weigh-in, under 14 stone now (started on 17 stone 10). image Just not interested in the thought of going out in the frost and bitter cold for now though (-2 this morning).

• Options
    BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Anyone mind if I join this thread too? I've just lost a load and want to keep it off and get/support others with it.

Was 16 stone 6 in March and currently at 11 stone 4. I used the myfitnesspal app on my phone and its website to keep a track of my eating and exercise.

Wish I'd been on here before... Oh well make up for lost time.