Options

Two stone off!

Comments

• Options
    grant mgrant m ✭✭✭

Welcome welsh runner! Impressive weight loss, much respect from me.

From what you are saying I would suggest you are not eating enough:

Just a quick google search revealed this.

In summary, you need 2000 if dieting, add more to fuel your exertions. I am by no means an expert mind you.

• Options

Thanks Grant - the google search you posted resulted in advice from a GP, so that sounds good.

Off for a sandwich!

• Options
    Welcome welshrunner, there are a few people on here with similar goals so you're in the right place. Look out in particular for mr spoons famous tips of the day,...and don't give up the Guinness!

• Options
    Hi welsh runner. Well done. I agree with Grant. Eat around 2000 and up the training. Try and do something every day.

I've eaten 2400 calories today and ran 7 miles including 8x800m reps at 6:30 pace. Did some weights and core afterwards too.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for all the advice - most helpful.  Will come back regularly to visit and pick up more tips.
  • Options
    Tell us more about your running, training and goals Welsh Runner. Give us some times and stats and we'll make some suggestions.
  • Options
    Hallam BlueHallam Blue ✭✭✭
    Just to let you know I have signed up for a RunKeeper Pro training programme specifically designed to burn fat. Its an eight week programme, which I am starting on the 22nd May. I'll try and post brief details of what is involved, but it is a combination of steady runs, and interval running: running 4 days a week. Hope I don't break any copyright laws!
  • Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭

Hi all, a bit of a hectic week here so only just catching up with some of your posts. Welshrunner, welcome aboard!

HAd a bit of a lapse yesterday as I was too busy to really eat so my dinner was a cup of coffee and a few hob nobs! Back in ot again today with the healthy stuff, and Mrs F's homemade veg stir fry with wholemeal rice. I'll abstain from the biccies I promise!

The whole calorie counting thing gets a bit technical for me I think, so I tend to just rely on ensuring that I eat plenty  of fruit, veg, lean meats such as salmon, tuna and chicken etc and wholegrains. These tend to ensure that I stay fulled for longer. The water thing when your hungry also works a treat Mr Spoons!

Keep with it folks, Dan Id be interested to see that training plan as and when you find the link? Off to work now, lets see if todays new 8hr shift ends up like a 12hr one again!image

• Options
    I weighed in half a pound lighter this morning.

I weigh myself every morning first thing and log my weight on Fetch so I can see a graph of what's going on.
  • Options

Thanks Mr Spoons.

Started running March 2010 and weight dropped off very quickly.  First race was Great North Run Sept 2010 - 1hr 50mins.  Then did Great South Run (10m) Oct 2010 in 77mins.  Next was Bath Half marathon in March this year (1hr 41mins).  First 10k was done a few weeks ago in 44mins 30secs.  I'm 45 years old.

Goals:

1.  Lose that final half a stone to get to 12 and a half stones (is that about right weight for medium build 6 footer)?

2. Do a 10k in about 40mins / half marathon in about 1 hr 35mins / do a marathon in 2012 (sub 4 hrs?).

3. Races coming up - Great Manchester Run this Sunday; a couple of local 10ks June/July; Great North and South (Sept/Oct) and Cardiff Half (Oct). 

• Options
    Hallam BlueHallam Blue ✭✭✭

The outline of the training plan can be found at http://runkeeper.com/fitness-class/running-fat-loss/6 : If you sign up for it, then the RunKeeper Pro App (available for iPhone or Android) will record your activities, and provide audio cues as you run. Of course, you could simply follow the training plan without the app.

• Options
    WR - great stuff. You're doing well! Sub 4 marathon should be achievable. Hoy many times a week do you run?
  • Options
    grant mgrant m ✭✭✭
    Dan Ellingworth wrote (see)

The outline of the training plan can be found at http://runkeeper.com/fitness-class/running-fat-loss/6 : If you sign up for it, then the RunKeeper Pro App (available for iPhone or Android) will record your activities, and provide audio cues as you run. Of course, you could simply follow the training plan without the app.

That looks really interesting! I am looking for something to push on with after my C25K programme is complete. I need to concentrate on finishing that programme first mind you!
  • Options
    Grant - my advice to anyone once they get to 5km level - join a running club. Better than following a programme.
  • Options
    grant mgrant m ✭✭✭
    Mr Spoons - good shout. Only slight issue is that I like to do my training at ungodly hours in the morning! Perhaps I can negotiate some free time with Mrs Grant! image
  • Options
    Mr Spoons -  I tend to run every other day and include a longer run once per week (furthest I've run is 15 miles so far).  All I do is run though; I'm aware I should be doing reps or tempo runs to improve - probably need to find a plan to follow. 
  • Options
    I haven't much excuse for not being in a running club....one just up the road, I just like to go out running slightly later. Definitely will join over the summer.
  • Options
    Grant - running is all about negotioation with the OH image

WR - exactly right. AND, as this is a weight loss thread, reps and tempo runs are the way to torch calories. If you're running 4 x a week, just do 1 long run slow, 1 easy run slow, 1 general aerobic run at 'normal' pace. Once a week will be the session. Take it in turns between hill reps, intervals and tempo runs. On the 3 days off do some X training. Easy image
  • Options
    Thanks Mr S. Really appreciate the advice and suggestions.
  • Options
    Welcome

I've eaten 2200 calories today and did an hours yoga / pilates.
  • Options
    MuddyPawsMuddyPaws ✭✭✭
    Like lots of people here I started running on my own. I joined a running club a couple of months ago...

I still do most of my runs on my own but running with the club provides me with a weekly tempo/intervals/ hill training session.

Mix this with one LSR and three other runs in the week and I think I have found a mix that will work for me. I have just started heart rate training and the runs I don on my own are at 70%or below of my max HR, this is apparently the ideal fat burning rate to run at and helps build muscles in a way that will help over distance running. The theory is because it is quite slow you should be able to avoid injury.....
  • Options
    I was down by half a pound this morning image

100 lengths before breakfast. 10km race this evening. All good.
  • Options
    grant mgrant m ✭✭✭

Mr Spoons - I always thought that checking weight daily was bad for morale and so I am checking weekly (with some peeking at the data midweek image ). Do you check daily for a reason? Good effort on the lengths before breakfast! Good luck in the 10K!

• Options
    Hi Grant, I check everyday and log on Fetch. The reason is sometimes weight can fluctuate by a couple of pounds either way, usually due to dehydration or fluid retention. This can give you a false figure. If you weigh every day you can sort of average out the duff figures. If you weigh yourself weekly it can be very demotivating when you get a false figure. Also looking at the graph in Fetch is motivating.
  • Options
  • Options
    Excellent graph! I weigh myself daily for similar reasons, although the graphs on Wii balance aren't that good... I also find it a motivator as the daily routine and fluctuations help focus the mind. Off to a gig tonight.
  • Options
    Also have averaged 2100 calories in my 1st 2 days of calorie counting.... Not enough exercise though.
  • Options
    Yesterday's calories in were 2500. Today's weight is down by half a pound.
  • Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    what do you use to weigh yourself mr spoons? have you got some fancy bit of kit?
  • Options
    Yes. They are called bathroom scales! image
    Digital ones though.