Options

Inspire "Elders"

Comments

• Options
     pegg i use smartcoach but idon't stick to the pace sugested i run at a pace that feels comfortable even if its faster than stated, i've never used gels just asda brand isotonic drinks
  • Options
    Sounds like you're doing fab Farby... I regularly sweat from my eyebrows and it's most inconvenient as it stings your eyes
  • Options

Cabbey I have that problem, I put vasaline on my forehead above my eyebrows and along the tops of my cheeks, if the vasaline was blue I would look like something out of 'braveheart'!

Farby it was 28 degrees today in Lincolnshire.

Pegg ignore what the times say, just concentrate on the miles bit. I would not recommend running less than 4 times a week though, if you do adopt my strategy.

Running day on day at a slow pace is better for marathon training than speed work,hill work and a long run. At least your building stamina running day on day, when you mix in speed and hills, especially when your not used to it, then you open yourself up to injury. Considering where you live(lots of hills) and the fact that the Amsterdam course is FLAT....enough saidimage

I took the boys out running with me today, they were on their bikes, they loved it, just as well really as they going to be doing a lot more during the summer holidays if im going to keep marathon fit!

• Options

Evening ladies and gents.

Pegg - marathon training is a whole new world isn't it?  From my very limited experience it's partly about working out what works best for you and just getting on with it.  Always better to make a daft mistake in training I think.  My worst was trying out a gel belt round my waist.  Just couldn't get it comfy and ended up rubbing a hole in my back.  I use an arm belt now!

Good running in the heat Farby.  As a cold weather runner I really am in awe of anyone who can cope in the heat.

The boys will be fitter than you by the end of the summer RP!

Went to see the doctor today as I've been struggling with my breathing when running.  She thinks I probably have mild asthma which is being aggrevated by the weather and the exercise so I now have an inhaler to help me out.  Tried it at the track tonight and it did seem to make a difference - and I was able to maintain sub 7 minute miles (only over 800m reps!)

• Options
    Cabbey - this was a straight drip as I tilted my head forward: did not touch anything on the way down! Sometimes it stings my eyes, but mostly, as I have my head in the CPR position in order to maximise the airflow!, it runs down my temples. One of the younger guys here picked me up for not wearing colour coded running kit! I really don't care what I look like as long as I get round!

Glad you're all getting some summer weather at last! image As long as there's plenty of it in September...

BecX - Did the Doc mention exercise induced asthma? One of my coaches thought I might have it - there are exercises you can do that help, I think.
  • Options
    Bluddy hell there's an asthma epidemic I think. Graemes brother was diagnosed with it a couple of weeks ago too. With all the rubbish in the air I'm not surprised actually. Farby I have EIA also!

RP might try that with the Vaseline and see if it works for India. I ran in 23 degrees and high humidity last night and it wasn't too bad so I must be improving somewhere down the line!

Becx I haven't heard of an arm belt before. Sounds good.

I'm aching everywhere today (from Sundays exercise though not yesterday).
  • Options

Morning all

Cabby - I hope your aches easy soon!

Becx - I have had asthma since I was 7..I always take an inhaler out with me! I have needed it more in this warm weather too.

Very wet and warm out there today...managed 4 miles witha bit of faster stuff thrown in...legs tired now (after Zumba last night I think)!

• Options
    I'm not convinced I have, and I've never been diagnosed as such. It has always been related to my stress levels really, and I found if I run more with my chin up to open the airway (as if someone was breathing for me in CPR, you know?) rather than looking at my feet, and stay calm I'm OK. Still sound like a train in full steam though!! image
  • Options

Im home alone with the boys for 2 days, I will need to find my sanity by the time the OH comes home. Im trying to decide if it would be o.k to make the boys run with meimage....it might have to be a weights session...

• Options
    Hmmmm... The Vaseline didn't work then... And neither did the treadmill after 20 odd minutes when we had a power cut. New trainers were rubbish (luckily I can get a full refund) so it's been a bad training day. Oh well... There's always tomorrow!
  • Options
    CAbbey have some of these (((()))))
  • Options
    Buenos noches chicas y chicos
  • Options

Interesting to hear that so many other people have asthma issues as well.  Will bear in mind Farby's tip about keeping my chin up (literally!) when running - I do tend to look at the ground especially when it gets hard work.  I think at least part of it is the weather - I am actually looking forward to it being cold and rainy again!

Had a hot, hilly race last night.  Was not in the mood at all but needed to run for club championship and despite being over a minute slower than last year (I treated it as a training run) I was second lady home from my club so it did work out!

Hope everyone has fun weekends planned.  Lots and lots of luck to anyone racing.  I am off to Nottingham to meet my friend's baby, celebrate another friend's engagement and then dinner to meet a third friend's new man.  I wish my friends would spread their significant life events out a little more....

• Options

morning image

Nice running BecX - have a fab weekend and try to squeeze a bit of time for yourself in there, somewhere!

Last (fingers x'd) trip to the fizz today.  Odie & I did an 18 yesterday and *touch wood* everything seems a ok!  But I think I've got a cold coming!  Am i going radio rental?  is it all in my head?  Bluddy marathon training, that's what I think!

• Options

How very random... I can't see any of Peggs posts... feeling paranoid now! image

Well done on the 18 miler Min that's excellent. I get to run about 18 tomorrow in the pouring rain image

Congrats on your race Bec

Have a great weekned everyone

• Options

Odie could hear me squelching but couldn't believe the amount of water that came out of my socks when I wrung them out at the end of the run yesterday!  First wet run in an absolute age!

Happy weekend one and all xxxx

• Options

I don't know why Cabbey (although me typing that obviously means I'm assuming she can see this one image).  Don't take it personally!

Well done on the 18miles Min - I hope the cold doesn't come to anything.

Good luck with your 18miler tomorrow Cabbey (d'oh!  I've done it again!)

Great result Becx image

• Options
    Oops! I seem to have inadvertently pressed "ignore member" Pegg. I can see you now though after pressing "un-ignore" image it's this phone I'm sure!
  • Options
    Btw... Is " un-ignore " ... Like... A proper word? image
  • Options

I think accidentally ignoring people is pretty easy Cabbey - fairly sure someone had me on ignore for a while.  Bit worried you and Min are up to 18 miles - I'm only onto 15 this weekend and already dreading it.  Are you sure I can't do the half Min??

Also, race congratulations are entirely unmerited.... I was only second lady for my club as the 5 other ladies who would usually beat me were all either ill, injured, on holiday or stuck at work!  Points are points though and there is an outside chance I will manage not to finish 4th this year (prizes for 1 to 3!)

• Options

morning all

a wet run this morning

• Options
    Morning all .... Nothing to worry about Becx, I only did just short of 4 miles today. I nearly didn't even do that as was feeling really run down but decided that if I still felt rubbish when out I would phone for a lift... Which I did! It's work stress I'm sure as have felt like this all week and have another week to go (covering other branches while holidays are going on). I now want a full English breakfast, a hot bath and a good film and to lie here in squaller image

Well done on your run Q... I also got soaked in the short time I was out.
  • Options
     well done on the 4 miles cabbey, it stopped raining not long after i got home
  • Options

I'll forgive you Cabbey...this time image  Sorry that your run wasn't so good today.

Well done for getting out in the rain Q.

I spent the morning ducking in and out of the shed while the rain kept coming and going on the allotment.  Result was a homemade veg soup for lunch and a chicken salad for dinner with home grown produce image.  Very nice it was too image.  Long run scheduled for tomorrow morning - 14miles.  My legs feel like I've got growing pains today so I'm hoping a decent nights sleep will sort them out.  Fingers crossed.