Options

Rome 2012

Comments

• Options

With regard to the holiday, we're doing the same kind of thing too, SingularKnocker...  Although, in our case, we're having a delayed honeymoon with a marathon in the middle... image

http://www.explore-italian-culture.com/images/roman-wedding-ceremony.jpg

• Options
    I love Rome!!!!!!good luck to u all!!
  • Options

WB - very romantic.  Hope your Mrs is a runner? or at least interested?  My hubby does not and it's a bit of a drag for him, but he's supportive, and at least Rome will  be interesting for him too.

Off to try and beat my 2h 28 (23km) today, cooler today thankfully and the promise of some drizzle, I wish.....

• Options

Mrs Bloke runs, although nothing serious. Saying that, she has joined me at our local club & has entered a few 10K races, so there's hope...

• Options

This one is defo on my list of races to do.  Maybe not next year but the year after

• Options

Roma was everything and more, I had the best race experience.  I would def put maratona di roma on your facebook list, as the race gets closer they give stats/updates and keep you motivated!

I enjoyed this thread from last year and I can only say I was worried about the cobblestones myself but they turned out to be nothing.  Less than 20% of course is cobbles and most are smoothed over.  I think people complain about them is cuz they are near the end and Its prob their feet killing them after 30k of running than the stones.

I wish I could make it back in 2012 but I will be back one day.  Ciao Alessio, I met you at the expo last year.  Your team does a great job!

• Options

Ciao Antony - thanks for your words! Would you upload a larger photo of yourself, so I can remember where we met, exactly?
    The cobblestones (sampietrini) say thank you Antony for the way you're defending them.

I live in Rome, so if anybody out there needs tips for clubs, bars or the best places to run, just ask and I'll be happy to help.

Have a brilliant new week.

• Options

Hi all, hope you have had good running w/e's?

I managed a run on Friday and Sunday and this morning, so am doing okay.  Got a half mara on Sunday, so hope to beat the last time, 2.15, but the weather seems to be hot - it's not letting up this heat, and I am so bad in the heat....so we shall see how I get on.

Aim to do at least 15k on Wed, short one Thurs and Fri then rest up Sat.

Just read RW on the New York/9/11 article, very moving and so tempted to run NYork one day.

Cheers all 

• Options

Hiya Roma2012 thread people!!!

Well, a week after runing the Wolverhampron Marathon (3:04:16) I was once again toeing the line of another race, this time the Bristol Half Marathon.

Being unsure, and slightly worried, about all the aches, pains, & twinges that I'd experienced in the past week, I decided that the best approach was to take it steady, listen to my body, and just get around safely... Then the gun went off & I took off like a lunatic, banging in the first two miles in just 13 minutes whilst I tried to apply the brakes... Eventually I slowed, but not by much - I went through the 10 mile mark in a PB time...! Unbelievably, I finished in 1:24:42 !!! I was gobsmacked!

Anyway, to cut a short story long, I am now doing something that I haven't done for three years - having 6 days off from running! I'm gonna be like a junkie looking for a fix by the weekend...  

• Options

WELL DONE you.....cor blimey speedy chap. 

Take a well done rest I'd say, don't get to used to it though! image

I'm off to pilates - new season starts - and I know it's going to hurt .  Got to clock 15k tomorrow then two smalls runs Thurs/Fri and half mara on Sunday...will report back, but if I get round in under 2.15 I will be chuffed (that was my last effort and I was bitterly disappointed!)

• Options
    Alessio - is the total ascent of Rome's course about the same as that of Barcelona? Barca has cobbles and a few hills near to the end of the route. I highly recommend Barca by the way.

Williambloke - Way to go....well done!

Karen - Sunday is going to be a hot one. Good luck and let me know how it goes.

I'm still injured. I have a displaced abductor muscle on my hip - small wonder I have been in such discomfort image
  • Options
    Hi All

Onetit - I found the thread at last!
    I've entered for 2012. I booked the hotel and race through a tour company, and flights myself.
    Going for 4 nights, (Fri to Tues) and looking forward to it already.

Andyp
  • Options

Elizabeth, I never ran the Barcelona Marathon, but my feeling is that the altimetric profile is similar to Rome.
    The Rome Marathon racecourse is flat (very flat, if you think of the famous seven hills), as it runs on the riverside for many miles.
    The 2 major ascents are - as others wrote - an overpass at mile 15, and the Colosseum hill at mile 26 - although this last one could be taken off the racecourse if some road works require us to do so.

Anyway, here's a Pedometer-map of the course (as you see, it says 43.3 k but both I and the AIMS swear that is 42.195k) - click on elevation>large and you can see every tiny hill in detail.

• Options

OOOOH E, you poor thing.  Get yourself to a running shop so they can film you, it might be that you have one leg slightly longer than other and need a build up in a shoe?  My sister has that.  It helped her a lot.

I've been studing the weather, looks cloudy first thing, 13 then up to 26 at some point, so hope to get a move on and finish before that heat.  It's 28 here now, just done pilates and feel like someone's chucked a bucket of water over me!! phew its hot in her studio.

No pedometer map on your posting Alessio, can you repost,  I would like to see, and don't like the sound of those hills a bit!! BUT, I am going out tomorrow and will hit that hill again - this time will try and run all the way up it.  Will report back

Take it easy runner.

• Options

Onetit, I apologize, forgot to paste the link - http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2587801

(Don't let the pedometer scare you - even walks in pancake flat cities such as Rotterdam or any in Bangladesh, if pedometer-ized would result in an electrocardiogram-like profile. Watch the meters above the sea level).

• Options

Done a nice half marathon today and beat 5 mins off my last time, romping!! home in 2.08.33, so am dead chuffed.

Popped something in the top of my leg  - not groin, but close, when I was warming up with lunges.  It went POP, like bursting a paper bag, dead scary, but it didn't hurt all the way round, now it does....

I've been heating, now icing, any tips?

• Options

I've been talking to myself somewhere on here.image

Anyway now i've found it hello everybody.I was hoping to do this as a pre London race but unfortunately i've not been successful so it's all systems go for Rome.Sub 3.15 i want so i can get good for age next year.

20 mile fell run for me.I'm new to fell running and todays felt more like 30 than 20.I ache all over at the moment.Hopefully it'll do me good in the long run but at the moment i'm a poor advert for runners.

http://www.dpfr.org.uk/track#track

Click on the link go to page 5 and it's Hope moor and Torrs.Click the box on that one and open it up via the show selected tracks.
  • Options

Welcome Howey!!

I too failed to get into next years London Marathon, however, I'm not too worried as it was never my 'A Race' for next year - Rome is... My intention is to use my 2011 Wolverhampton Marathon finishing time (3:04:16) to get me a GFA entry into London for 2013 instead...

My training schedule for Rome is all planned out - it starts on Monday 28th of November. I've already started to build in my warm-up races, including Boxing Day & New Years Day...

• Options
    Welcome to the thread Howey - Have we had contact before via Onetit on fb?
  • Options

Yes E, this is John......

Hope you are okay Howsey after your madness on fells.....what is that all about.  I can barely get up our track.

Still blisteringly hot here, I've done 5k and 11.5k and 8k on my bike this week, that's it.  But we did have mates staying so couldn't leave them too long.

Cooling down, they say, at the end of this week, so hope to get out for longer runs, will get up early before market in the morning and do my nice 5k to get my legs back to it.

Enjoy Sunday evening- off to cinema

• Options

Thanks for the welcome people.

I take it your just a child William if you  need sub 3hrs for a good for ageimage

Hello Elizabeth.

How do you save this thread to favourites?I've added it to my bookmarks but just get sent to this thread has been deleted and i end up going through the forum titles to races and then have to scrawl down and find it.I never had this trouble on the Paris one.

• Options

I have RW to favs. but put in rome 2012 in search as it seems to disappear too, annoying I know.

did a nice 5k this morning, warming up the legs again in the hope that the weather gets cooler and I can get out for longer very soon.

• Options

22 miles on the bike today to get the lactic acid out of them.It's not worked.It nearly killed me going up the hill to home.

I'm doing hill work tomorrow with the club which is about 5 miles with jogs inbetween.

How do you update your details on the Rome site.I've recieved an e-mail from them saying i'm in but do i need to wait for another one first.

I know non of that makes much sense but i'm tired and hungry.

• Options

If you get the email with the code for your entry then just keep going into the site on the individual entries and put in your code for your page.  You can add things there if you haven't already.  I don't think they have given out numbers yet, I looked last week and there was nothing, so guess it will be a while yet.

Got my REJECT for London image  so will have to just do well in Rome....ha ha

• Options

.Paula and now you.I bet the beeb wont want to show it now.

I'd heard it was like winning the lottery getting an overseas entry.It's there loss.

• Options

Started the day (week) in a positive, calorie burning, frame of mind - quick early morning run around the block in the dark, back home for some sit-ups, push-ups, plank, then off to work on the bike... Whereby I lost control on a cobbled section of road & polished the pavement with my left hip as I slid along the floor... image

Managed to sit in the office for a 3 hours before deciding to get my hip checked out in the local A&E. Spent 3 hours waiting around in a hospital waiting room that resembled a cross between a Marakech street market & Beirut before getting the "nothing broken but take it steady" verdict.

This evening all I could manage was multiple laps of a local park to clock up a measly two miles... And I'm supposed to be running a hilly off-road race at the weekend...   image

• Options
    Ouch Williambloke - sounds nasty! Don't over do it, rest up....I have just missed the Berlin marathon by not heeding such advice. I hope that you are back to normal ASAP.
  • Options

As Elizabeth says rest up William.Rest is just as important.

• Options

Yep, rest up, you know it makes sense..... image

Take care one and all, off to torture myself with pilates now....already feel the OUCH coming on.

• Options

Hill work for me tonight.Gone are the speed sessions in the park with the sunshine.Now it's head torch,water proofs and dark roads.