Options

Midweek Madness Delamere Forest 10k

Comments

• Options
    Dave the ex-spartan
    are you going to join us for the race ? if you do am sure you will be impressed by running bugs!
  • Options

Evening everyone,

Earlier today I recieved some draft artwork for the medals for the Delamere 10k, these will be even better than our last ones!

Also the mugs for the Delamere 10k are going to be event specific, so that you can look at it and the memories of how hard you pushed yourself and how much fun you had earning it will all come flooding back image

Next month we are going to be hosting a few trials runs of the course, if anyone is interested in taking part let me know and I will keep you posted with dates.

The aim when I hosted the Croxteth 10k was to create the best 10k ever to take place at Croxteth park and it was a massive challenge because there has been many great races at Croxteth Park over the years, but judging by the feedback we recieved we must be right up there with themimage

And now we are faced with the massive task of delivering the best 10k Delamere forest has ever played host to, there has been some great races at Delamere forest over the years so this one really will be a test, but I am confident we can deliver image

Mark

• Options

Rob (ST)

Well done on your parkrun time today mate, you will be flying by the time Delamere comes roundimage

Also good luck to everyone who is racing at the weekend, I will be taking a plod through the mersey tunnel tomorrow taking part in the runLiverpool tunnel 10k image (wearing a Liverpool running BUGS! vest as always!) might see a few of you there!

• Options

Cheers Mark, I was very pleased with it. I needed a good run after Croxteth Park, but I think it goes to show the benefits of having a rest week also image It has made me reconsider whether I actually need speedwork and maybe focus more on miles, as I don't seem to have a problem with the shorter stuff it is only when I race 5 or 6 miles that I have difficulty at the moment.

Good luck tomorrow mate, I'm on duty so hopefully I won't see you image thanks again for the laminated numbers.

and hope anyone else racing has a good one tomorrow

• Options
    Well done on your run Mark, you happy with your time? How did the race go?
  • Options

Hi Rob (st)

Cheers mate, no the time was awfulimage great race as always but I think I overdone my tempo run on Thursday, so come around 4 miles my legs turned to stone.

I Ran in with a few of the lads from the club so it was a good day out (just not a time I will be boasting about image)

With so many events to organise in the coming months I will be taking a break from racing for a bit, partly because I am missing out on my long runs on a Sunday.

• Options
    Hello mark, I ran the tunnel too and managed to knock 1min 11sec of my PB set at Croxteth Park to finish in 42:57image I'm having a break from racing too need to get some long runs in for my first marathon in October. Hoping to do delamere though and get some more time of my 10k. Any idea how flat the course will be.
  • Options

Sounds a bit similar to how I was at Croxteth Park! Ye fair enough mate, why dont you aim for penny lane 10k to redeem yourself? Supposedly fast and flat! Im entered, but getting my triathlon out of the way first, will be interesting how i get on in the 10k at the end of it! haha. I've just increased my long runs to 8 miles, I'd not ran over 6 miles before on my own until last night and felt it! but hopefully will help with my own times if I keep the 8 mile runs up. Let me know when your next doing that run along to Hale.

Well done on your time St Domingo, thats a big chunk off your pb great running image

• Options

Well done for organising this race Mark.

There has been / is going to be a lack of races in Delamere Forest this year compared with recent years. I'm guessing this is due to the large overheads imposed by the Forestry Commission. I for one congratulate you for the efforts you are putting in.

I regularly run round the forest for free but have absolutely no problem in paying £17 to attend an organised race. These events aren't cheap to put on and people don't have to attend if the don't like the price. You can't beat the atmosphere it creates - there's absolutely no comparison with a training run.

I don't really mind what I'm given when I cross the finish line so long as it reflects the entry fee and reminds me of good times. Sounds like what you'll be giving out does so I'll be happy.

Really looking forward to it. It will be a great event image

• Options

Sorry for being slow to reply, I have literally only just got home from Delamere forestimage

We have just been walking, running, biking the course, and we now have a proposed 10k course that is a single lap taking in paths & trails, inclines & declines and even bits of Delamere that many of you will be experiencing for the very first timeimage

The event will start close to the Linmere visitor centre, and will follow the pathways up to the top of old pale, before heading back down and following paths & trials, it ishilly in places and is definately one of the most scenic 10k races around, the views from the top of old pale are stunningimage

This is a challenging 10k but hey it is called "Midweek madness" and believe me you will be mad to miss it!

St Domingo wrote (see)
    Hello mark, I ran the tunnel too and managed to knock 1min 11sec of my PB set at Croxteth Park to finish in 42:57image I'm having a break from racing too need to get some long runs in for my first marathon in October. Hoping to do delamere though and get some more time of my 10k. Any idea how flat the course will be.

Well done St Domingo, that is a great time. I love the mersey tunnel 10k, it was actually the first 10k that I ever doneimage I just really struggled, felt like I had nothing left in my legs after 4-5 miles, but even still a great day out.

I Think you will really enjoy Delamere, it is a great scenic run, it is hilly in places so it is not the easiest course to achieve a pb on but having now been round the proposed course lots of times I think it will leave a lot of runners very happy with there race day experience.

My problem is I love taking part in events, but I am doing Liverpool & NYC marathons later this year so I can neglect the LSR's what I might start doing is going for a run pre event and using the event distance to complete my LSR at marathon pace.

sprinting toffee wrote (see)

Sounds a bit similar to how I was at Croxteth Park! Ye fair enough mate, why dont you aim for penny lane 10k to redeem yourself? Supposedly fast and flat! Im entered, but getting my triathlon out of the way first, will be interesting how i get on in the 10k at the end of it! haha. I've just increased my long runs to 8 miles, I'd not ran over 6 miles before on my own until last night and felt it! but hopefully will help with my own times if I keep the 8 mile runs up. Let me know when your next doing that run along to Hale.

Well done on your time St Domingo, thats a big chunk off your pb great running image

It is a killer when you just physically have nothing left to give! but I will redeem myselfimage I will be doing the PLS 10k, really looking forward to it.

I love long runs in training, it is a great way to clear your thoughts.

I Will sort out a run down to hale some time in the next few weeks following the devils gallop route back if you fancy it, also how do you fancy having a go at the Delamere course in a few weeks?

• Options
    Hackos wrote (see)

Well done for organising this race Mark.

There has been / is going to be a lack of races in Delamere Forest this year compared with recent years. I'm guessing this is due to the large overheads imposed by the Forestry Commission. I for one congratulate you for the efforts you are putting in.

I regularly run round the forest for free but have absolutely no problem in paying £17 to attend an organised race. These events aren't cheap to put on and people don't have to attend if the don't like the price. You can't beat the atmosphere it creates - there's absolutely no comparison with a training run.

I don't really mind what I'm given when I cross the finish line so long as it reflects the entry fee and reminds me of good times. Sounds like what you'll be giving out does so I'll be happy.

Really looking forward to it. It will be a great event

smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Hackos,

Thanks for your kind words, it really is a pleasure to host our event series, the Croxteth park 10k earlier this month was the first in the BUGRUNS! series and the feedback we recieved was overwhelming, it is always nice to know that your efforts are appreciated

smilies/smile_smiley.gif

It is a real shame to see Delamere lose some good events, I think we have created a event that will make people realise that Delamere forest is a truelly amazing place to run, our course is brand new, it is in my opinion going to become a not to be missed event, as a runner myself I design all our courses around preference of what I would enjoy as a course and I think we have something special for you all to take part in coem August.

See you at the event.
  • Options
    Yes i'd be definitely up for having a go at the Delamere course and also the training run via Hale. just let me know mate. What you hoping for at Penny Lane? I'm again attempting sub 40 just need to pace myself a bit better this time, hopefully these 8 mile training runs i've just started will kick in before then
  • Options
    Getting home at 23:45 that's dedication mate, have you got a day job too?

Sounds like one not to miss. I'll be sending my entry form in soon.
  • Options
    Yes i'd be definitely up for having a go at the Delamere course and also the training run via Hale. just let me know mate. What you hoping for at Penny Lane? I'm again attempting sub 40 just need to pace myself a bit better this time, hopefully these 8 mile training runs i've just started will kick in before then
    It would be nice to go sub 40 at penny lane, but I would be pleased with 40-41 at the minute.
    St Domingo wrote (see)
    Getting home at 23:45 that's dedication mate, have you got a day job too? Sounds like one not to miss. I'll be sending my entry form in soon.

23:13 so not too badimage and I have a day job too! because contrary to popular belief there is not massive amounts of money to be made from organising running events, because croxteth park didnt sell out it actually cost money to host the event! but I am hoping that if we keep delivering good events then hopefully they will prove popular and who knows maybe one day they might pay for themselves or even make a slight profitimage

the hardest thing is making time for it all, full time job, creating a series of events and additionally I lead a running club Liverpool running BUGS! so with all that and a wife and two bambinos at home I have to be really well organised with my time.

Running is something that I am passionate about, with rising gym fees and national obesity levels I think that the government and local authorities should be pushing to promote outdoor activities such as running and cycling which are predominantly free to participate in, It has been a great learning curve putting our events together and I am really enjoying it, it is really good to get positive feedback from runners such as yourself because it really does make all the effort involved worthwhile.

I Like to think that all the hard work and dedication that goes into our events will be evident to to the runners taking part in them, I never do anything by half or cut corners, I have got a small group of runners  going to Delamere tonight to try the 10k course to get some feedback, I willkeep you all posted how it goes.

• Options
    How did the trial go Mark? Let me know when the next one is and I'll be there (shifts permitting!)
  • Options
    How did the trial go Mark? Let me know when the next one is and I'll be there (shifts permitting!)

It was good mate, I think we have a course that will hopefully please a lot of people.

How does Saturday 25th June sound? I will be at parkrun in the morning and then head over to Delamere afterwards?

So if anyone would like to come along and have a trial run of the proposed course 12:00 at Linmere visitor centre (by Delamere railway station) please feel free to join us.

• Options
    Sounds good mate. Although I couldn't do the 25th June sorry mate, I'm doing the Liverpool Triathlon on Sunday 26th June so whilst I'm planning on marshalling at parkrun also on the 25th i'll be putting my feet up afterwards! image If you could do a midweek run the following week, Id be free for an early afternoon 12 or 1ish on the 30th? or thursday 7th july in the evening? but obviously that depends whether your off work/ other commitments etc! As im doing penny lane on sunday 3rd, working the following weekend. The I'm aiming for a very quick time in the parkrun the weekend after that image
  • Options
    Sounds good mate. Although I couldn't do the 25th June sorry mate, I'm doing the Liverpool Triathlon on Sunday 26th June so whilst I'm planning on marshalling at parkrun also on the 25th i'll be putting my feet up afterwards! image If you could do a midweek run the following week, Id be free for an early afternoon 12 or 1ish on the 30th? or thursday 7th july in the evening? but obviously that depends whether your off work/ other commitments etc! As im doing penny lane on sunday 3rd, working the following weekend. The I'm aiming for a very quick time in the parkrun the weekend after that image
    Oh yes forgot about the tri, Thursday 7th July at 7pm is good with me
  • Options
    Okey doke mate, great stuff! I'm doing the wirral seaside 5k the night before on the 6th as it's part of lrc club championship http://www.seasideruns.com/ (if you've not done it i'd recommend it) so an easy 6 miles round delamere would suit me nicely on thursday 7th at 7pm! image Another series that starts next week which I might give a try is http://www.liverpoolharriers.co.uk/nowsleyraceEntry.pdf 
  • Options
    Mark, this may sound a daft question but how much is unaffiliated entry?? The reason why I ask is, its advertised at £17 but when you enter on line through Runners World its £19. Is this right??
  • Options
    paul jones 33 wrote (see)
    Mark, this may sound a daft question but how much is unaffiliated entry?? The reason why I ask is, its advertised at £17 but when you enter on line through Runners World its £19. Is this right??

Hi Paul,

it is £17 but runnersworld handle our online entries and they charge a commission fee and that is the difference in cost, hopefully it wont put you of entering.

I am looking at another way to accept online entries as our events grow, if you wish to avoid the commission you can download a entry form from bugruns.org.uk and post it with a cheque or if you live anywhere near Liverpool Up & Running on bold street have our entry forms in store and you can complete one there and pay instore.

I Was at Delamere again tonight, I like to know our courses well, and the best way to get to know them is to run them so I experience what the runners do on the day, we have a great course instore, it does have hills both up & down and uses paths & trails, a really good mix.

Mark

• Options

Thanks Mark

Entry form printed off!!

• Options
    paul jones 33 wrote (see)

Thanks Mark

Entry form printed off!!

Thanks Paul look forward to recieving it.
  • Options

Just to remind everyone that the Delamere forrest midweek madness 10k is just over a month away image I hope you are all looking forward to it!

This event is suitable for runners of all abilities, it would be a great event for those who have never experienced trail running beforeimage

We still have entries available so please keep them coming!

Tomorrow I am meeting with Brian Grice to go around the course and get the distance certified! a lot of trail races dont bother with course accuracey but as a runner myself it is really important to me, who wants to run a pb on a course that is short? or miss out on a pb because the course is too long? our course will be exactly 10km!

• Options

Today at Delamere went really well, it was a bit wet at timesimage but myself, Brian Grice who measured and certified the course and also Dave Farrer a keen mounting biker who will be doing lead bike for the event enjoyed a great afternoon going round the course.

The course is excatly 10km image

Dont forget to sign up, see you all on Wednesday 17th August 2011 at 7pm image

• Options
    Nice one Mark looking forward to a break from training. I can do this one without disrupting my sunday long runs.

What are the trails like, will road trainers be suitable?
  • Options
    St Domingo wrote (see)
    Nice one Mark looking forward to a break from training. I can do this one without disrupting my sunday long runs. What are the trails like, will road trainers be suitable?

I Always prefer to race in trail shoes on trails but I have run the course in road shoes and found it to be not a problem, like you say it is great for anyone doing marathon training who have reserved there weekends for long training runs.

The problem I always have with marathon training is I love taking part in events, so I find it is sometimes good to enter some events and run at marathon pace i.e half marathons and then carry on your run after the event to get to your target training distance for the day that way you still get the enjoyment of taking part in events and put the miles in for the marathon training!

Are you doing the runliverpool marathon SD? it should be a great event I will be doing it myself .

• Options
    Yes I'm doing the Liverpool marathon. It'll be my first one so I'm using sunday's purely for long training runs. I'll be doing Delamere and probably the Warrington half. I dont trust myself to hold back from all out race pace once I've got a race number on.
  • Options
    St Domingo wrote (see)
    Yes I'm doing the Liverpool marathon. It'll be my first one so I'm using sunday's purely for long training runs. I'll be doing Delamere and probably the Warrington half. I dont trust myself to hold back from all out race pace once I've got a race number on.
    The Warrington half is a really good event, sadly they have moved the date this year and Iam doing the great north so will have to miss it image but I will be back again in 2012.
  • Options

Just for everyones information the course measurement certificate is available to view online

Click here to view course measurment certificate!

Mark