Options

Midweek Madness Delamere Forest 10k

Comments

• Options
    L2RAL2RA ✭✭✭

Hi

Was thinking about signing up for this race.  I have never done trail running and not really used to hills but wanted to give this a go for a challenge and a change of scenery. I have never been to Delamere Forest so this would be completely new to me.

I was just wondering if this is more for faster runners as my 10k PB is about 1 hr 3 and that is on a flat course so I think this will take me longer.  I don't want to get lost on route or get to the end to find everyone has finished and gone home image

Sorry if this has already been discussed in the threads somewhere but would be grateful if someone could let me know if this is open to all abilities?

• Options
    Rachel, I would recommend signing up. I've previously done Croxteth Park 10k by Bugruns. It was an excellent event. Dont worry about what time you finish there will be runners of all abilities.

I've never been to Delamere forest either but I'm really looking forward to this event as it'll give me a break from training.

• Options

Hi Rachel,

I am the race director, and so all the entries come directly to me, we have a good mix of runners of all abilities that have entered this event, and with a PB of 1hr 3 min trust me you will not be last image 

I Have had a lot of emails of people recently regarding this event asking if it is just for serious runners, but the answer is our events are for all runners of all abilities, if your a serious runner then great come along and try and win, if your happy just to get round or beat your own pb, or even just looking at taking part for charity or personal goal of running your first 10k then please come along and take part, in short everyone is welcome image

Our events are not organised with a emphasis on profit they are organised by runners with the emphasis on making sure everyone involved has a great experience.

Delamere is a great venue for a event, and our course is in my opinion the best to ever be used at Delamere and the few people who have been round the course agree with meimage and hopefully after the event so will all our runners!

The one concern newcomers to trail running have is the fear of getting lost in the middle of the forest, dont worry you wont! the course will be well signposted, well marshalled and we will also have a lead bike a back marker and water stations so it will be harder to get lost than it will be to follow the course!

The marshals will always be last back, and the clearing of the event will not happen untill long after the last runner is over the line and enjoying there personal glory and admiring there shiny new medalimage

I often hear people say that You cant please all the people all the time, but why not? that is exactly what we aim to do and with each event we hope to just keep getting better and better!

So come on Rachel dont miss out sign up and take part in what promises to be another great event to the northwest race calendarimage

Any more questions please ask and I will always do my best to answer as soon as possible.

Mark

• Options
    St Domingo wrote (see)
    Rachel, I would recommend signing up. I've previously done Croxteth Park 10k by Bugruns. It was an excellent event. Dont worry about what time you finish there will be runners of all abilities. I've never been to Delamere forest either but I'm really looking forward to this event as it'll give me a break from training.

Hi St Domingo,

Thanks for the kind words, it is always good to know that our efforts are appreciated, it makes all the hard work that goes into organising these events a little easier.

You will also be pleased to know that we are hosting the BUGRUNS! Croxteth park 10k again next year! the date is set for Sunday 3rd June 2012 entries will open soon image

Mark

• Options
    L2RAL2RA ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info and the speedy response guys. Will definately be signing up image
  • Options
    RACHEL Leach 2 wrote (see)
    Thanks for the info and the speedy response guys. Will definately be signing up image
    Great news Rachel see you there image I am sure you will really love it.
  • Options

Hi Mark

Its great to see your personal interest and response to any questions. As a new runner, I'm pretty slow, but am actually thinking of doing this one as everyone seems so friendly (thanks everyone). My only concern is that all my running has been on roads and how much more difficult will it feel through the forests and will I make it in one piece????

Thanks

Lynne

• Options

Hi Lynne,

Thanks, running and the benefits it provides is something that I am really passionate about, as a runner myself it is important that our events are delivered to the highest possible standard and that we provide people with a great overall experience that is not only a great race but a great experience while still maintaining value for money which is more important than ever in the present financial climate.

Sorry for being slow to reply tonight I have actually been taking part in a great local race tonight "Sefton park 5 miler" and once again another great event pulled of by Mossley hill AC image

Congratulations on deciding to take up running, I am sure like the rest of us you soon be if your not already well and truelly hooked, you will achieve some great personal goals, enjoy many health benefits and meet lots of like minded people.

I Think you will really enjoy running the course in Delamere, it is a very scenic route through the forest and will take in many of the paths & trails, it is very different to road running and provides a different challenge that some find tougher and some find easier.

The course will be well marshalled and marked out so no risk of getting lost image

It is refreshing to get of the road and into the forest, personally I think you will really enjoy it but the best way to find out is to take part image I think once you have experienced trail running you will start to consider many similar events.

any more questions or even if you need a little more re-assurance please let me know image

Mark

• Options
    A few of my friends did a race in delamere last year and want to do another one so we'll be signing up for this one. I'm currently marathon training but i've been including some runs at Sutton manor colliery (the dream) to get used to running off road and to get some hill work in.
  • Options
    sibyrne2000 wrote (see)
    A few of my friends did a race in delamere last year and want to do another one so we'll be signing up for this one. I'm currently marathon training but i've been including some runs at Sutton manor colliery (the dream) to get used to running off road and to get some hill work in.

hi sibyrne,

Thats great news, we have a brand new course that has a bit of everything in it!

It is also great that we have had a great range of abilities enter this event so it really is suitable for everyone image

I have not run around the dream but I know a few people who do who recommend it as a great place for running so I need to get myself over there and give it a go image I love running in new places!

• Options
    Sutton manor is a great place to run and you don't even have to stick to the paths because there's loads of cycle trails dotted about. That whole area is full of community woods and trails, I normally do about 4 of them when I go. I know what you mean about running somewhere new, I try and run new routes and to different towns as my training distances increase.

I've wanted to run in delamere for ages so I'm looking forward to this race but if all my friends finish before me I won't hear the last of it.
  • Options

Just thought I would post a picture of the mugs that all our runners will be recieving for completing the Delamere forest midweek madness 10k!

I Expect the medals will be with us in the next couple of weeks, once we get them I will post a picture of them too image I am sure you will all love them image

Just a reminder the Delamere forrest midweek madness 10k is on Wednesday 17th August 2011 at 7pm, the event is chip timed and all runners will recieve a medal & mug! it is a brand new single lap 10k course that has never before been used! also we have had the distance certified so it is a accurate 10km distance image and we will also have a water station at the halfway point & finish line (all bottled water!)

And the best thing is you can enter this event for as little as £15

We have paid the forestry commission for the use of the forests car parks for the event so all our runners can enjoy free parking!

You can sign up online via runnerworld or by downloading a entry form from our site www.bugruns.org.uk and popping it in the post, or call into up & running on bold street Liverpool (opposite central station) and complete a form instore and pass your form and payment to one of there friendly staff image

If you have not yet signed up, dont miss out! also please tell all your friends about this event image

P.S. Dont forget to tell me what you think of the mugs!

Mark

http://www.bugruns.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/delamere-mug-copy.jpg

• Options
    Would be better in blue image
  • Options
    sibyrne2000 wrote (see)
     I've wanted to run in delamere for ages so I'm looking forward to this race but if all my friends finish before me I won't hear the last of it.

It all adds to the fun image there is nothing like a bit of banter between friends before during and after a race!

I Think you will all have a great time, I will make sure of it image

• Options
    St Domingo wrote (see)
    Would be better in blue image
    haha that truelly is a matter of opinion image but just for you SD I will make the Speke hall ones blue!
  • Options
    i agree with st domingo , blue would be better .
  • Options
    blue steve wrote (see)
    i agree with st domingo , blue would be better .
    haha I suppose your profile name is a giveaway for your preference BLUE-Steve image I will make them Blue for Speke hall to keep everyone happy image
  • Options

As with all our events, we host several trial runs of the course and it is a good way for runners to get to see what the course is like before the day, but it is also good for us to get feedback regarding the course and event setup in general image

We have done a few trial runs at Delamere, and we are going to having another on on Wednesday night,

So if anyone is interested in coming along to see the course and have a involvement or even if your not doing the event but just fancy a midweek training run then we are meeting at 7pm outside deleamere forest linmere visitor centre (by delamere station).

We are going to run the course led by the guy who will be doing lead bike come the day of the event, we have a few people coming so pace will be mixed so please dont be put of by pace come along.

It would be great to meet and speak to some of you and afterwards you can just shoot of or you could join a few of us for a quick drink and reflection on the course in the nearby carriers inn public house image

Also we are looking for volunteers for this event if anyone can spare a few hours it would be much appreciated.

Mark

• Options

Hi guys, some interesting news today a few people have text me and said that this event features as one of the top 5 races to do in the uk in August in the latest edition of Runnersworld magazine image

Heading to Delamere soon, we are hosting a trial run at 7pm if anyone would like to come along we are meeting at the Linmere visitor centre (near the railway station at 7pm

Mark

• Options

Hi all, I did the course last night and I can agree it should be a great race.  Mark is seriously committed to organising a great event. 

See you there image

Sue o'b

• Options

Hi Sue,

Thanks, good to hear you enjoyed it image

• Options
    How hilly is the course Mark?
  • Options
    St Domingo wrote (see)
    How hilly is the course Mark?

There is a challenging hill in the first mile but it is gradual across 1/2 mile and then it evens out, and then there is a gradual hill around 4 miles before a fast downhill finish.

The course is challenging in places but if you make the most of downhill sections and the fact that the middle few miles are flat means it still has a potential for some good times image

It is definatly challenging and you will feel like you have been in a race afterwards image

• Options
    I've got 20 miles scheduled in on the sunday before so that'll make it challenging on it's own. On the plus side it's only 15 miles the sunday after image
  • Options
    St Domingo wrote (see)
    I've got 20 miles scheduled in on the sunday before so that'll make it challenging on it's own. On the plus side it's only 15 miles the sunday after image
    haha a dead giveaway that someone is training for a marathon when they say things like only 15 miles image

• Options
    Sorry i missed the post about the trial run, should check the lap top more often . Get my work rota next monday so will know if running or helping out .
    Good luck to all who run .
    PShow many entries have you got so far Mark ?
  • Options

Hi Steve,

Just over 250 at the moment hopefully we will come close to 400 image which is not bad for the first year of the event.

It also features in the latest edition of runnersworld magazine as one of the picks of the month which is good and will hopefully help us attract a few more entries image

• Options
    To true Mark. I'm thinking of doing the Warrington half but I've got something on later that day. I've been telling everyone "don't worry it's only a half I'll be fine."
  • Options
    Hi everyone, Having run this trial run several times with Mark and others, would agree with Sue it is a great course,challenging but hey it is in Delamere forest !
    If you really do enjoy running the great outdoors,deffo worth doing this race.
    I shall be giving Mark support,Marshall at the 5k water station. Hope to see you all.
  • Options
    St Domingo , am also thinking of doing the warrington half or the Garstang running club half the week later. Leaning more to the Garstang half as I did a 10 miler there a couple of years back and that was a good race.
    Just a thought Mark have you thought of putting on a 10 miler about a month before the liverpool half marathon . I think it would be popular