Options

Greenwich Park

Comments

• Options
    GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    It's not next Monday (I hope) for Dublin but have been on the wagon since the last Manc social.
  • Options
    Hi everyone

Great to see folks last night - and especially to welcome some new people. Lelia (good luck in Chicago!!!), the Count (learn to embrace your nickname - say it loud and proud - you are the Count!) and ItchyRinger (one day we'll make you tell us where that name came from!) (I'd welcome Caroline and John but that seems pointless as neither of them have ever logged into the forum.)

Next time I'll make sure that I don't spend the evening before drinking too much (as if there is a thing!) champagne so I can drink more wine than evaporates....

I'll pick a date for our next drinks soon - sometime towards end November I think. Crafty's going to pick a date for our group RUN (the alcohol was obviously affecting people by this point - running????) and we'll sort that out. The plan is roughly to identify a pub or two, run a little, drink a little, eat a little and watch some sort of sport thing on television at the end pub.

See you all soon (although not in the park obviously).

Cheers, Soo.

• Options
    Thanks again for organising last night Soo.
  • Options
    Unfortunately the phone call I stayed in for last night didn't appear... I could've come... Boo.
  • Options
    hey Jonny - there's this little appliance just come out called a mobile phone...

btw Soo - the next pub up from 'the Yacht' IS the 'Cutty Sark' - we should have visited all the towpath boozers up to the Dome by this time next year.
  • Options
    This is very true...
  • Options
    Cheers folks...Good night, although I blame my hangover on my stupid idea to run back to the house "to save time"....Looking forward to the next one!
  • Options
    Morning all, nice to meet some new people last night.(Soo, the source of my name is a mystery isn't it?)
    Don't think i should have ate that kebab on the way home tho lol
  • Options
    really annoyed I missed this so I'll deffo introduce myself at the next one. Rugby World Cup final is towards the end of November??

hope the hangovers aren't too awful - nice healthy fry up at lunch time will sort you all out. I am settling down to watch the opening game on the office telly!
  • Options
    Hi all!

Thank goodness for that, Snoop, I was getting really worried when you talked about the Samuel Pepys. If I had somehow missed a pub on the river in Greenwich, I don't think I'd have ever lived it down! There is a Samuel Pepys somewhere along the Jamaica Road though. Haven't tried it myself!

I guess after the Cutty Sark we're looking at the Pilot Inn?

REALLY not sure I can run a little and drink a little... I can do a run and then drink a lot, but mixing the two might just result in a chunder blunder...

Soo, thanks again for organising. And sorry I was sooo late - I wasn't enjoying myself, believe me! The colleague I left in the office was apparently here till 1.30am. Glad I didn't feel any compunction to stay :-)

I'll pass on the welcome to J - he said 'well, most of them seemed normal' and seemed rather disappointed! I did try questioning him on the 'most' and he merely pointed out that by no stretch of the imagination could introducing yourself to a complete stranger in a pub with 'Hi, I'm ItchyRinger' be considered normal :-) He may have a point - Itchy, you never did tell us your real name!!!!

Can I make one suggestion though? Next time we meet, can we PLEASE incorporate food?! With such a splendid choice of curry establishments in the area, surely we could do a pub'n'curry all the way up to the Barrier... and Wednesday Night is Banquet Night at the Millennium Balti... ;-)

ooops, just realised I never submitted this & it's been sitting in an open window on my pc for the past hour... lucky I sit in a corner, eh?!
  • Options
    GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    Apols for being so late last night but Thursday is now my college night so that'll be the earliest I can get there apart from 'reading' weeks. BTW, I know Itchy's real name but don't know (or don't want to know) how the nickname arrived. I'll ask his missus on the next central London social.

Have been to the Cutty Sark on many occasions and dare say that I could be persuaded to go there again. I'm sure that it will have more customers than The Yacht anyway.

I'll see you all in 'The Park' at some stage no doubt.
  • Options
    Right, so let's fix something up for a daytime pub crawl wearing trainers. What about 8th or 15th November for options. We will go with the majority vote.

Once have a day, we need to ascertain how long to run and how many pubs to visit (and, Snail, no need to drink before running if you don't want to). Should we be really lame and just do Greenwich to Blackheath and Back or should we run up to the Bull at the top of Shooter's Hill and then back down to Greenwich where we can ensure Snail gets her obligatory curry?

Birdypie, we hope you can join us.

E
    E
  • Options
    Or should someone do a Hash trail....who's got any chalk

On On...
  • Options
    I can do either day - although I have a preference for the 8th as the Brighton 10k is on the 16th and I've been considering heading to Brighton a day early.

I'd prefer a longer run - make me feel I earned the curry.... Of course you speedy frontrunners will have to get the first round of drinks in (possibly the second and third as well) while we (I) catch up.

....and ummm....I assume we aren't starting at 6am :-)

Soo.

• Options
    Soo, I look to be educated on this one, but I do not know of any pubs open locally at that time.
  • Options
    could start at the Hope and Anchor in charlton and head round the Dome - there is that little pub near the dome? then into greenwich. I can't do the 15th - on little rugby tour in Edinburgh but should be OK for 8th at the mo
  • Options
    Saturdays are generally not good for me!
  • Options
    You and your helmet were conspicuous by your absence last night as well so thursdays not good either apparently.
  • Options
    miaow! That's a bit sarky, Wonky Willie!
  • Options
    now how can you say that about me.

Multi aleways arrives helmet in hand snaily,and usually a tad late.
  • Options
    Hi guys 'n' girls

Sorry i haven't made the last few socials, i'm sure hub explained that now i'm a flully flegged athlete i can't be out getting drunk. LOL

Plummy many thanks for choci, Itchy said it was v nice :o(

Hope 2 c u all @ next pi** up where i will only be spectating as per races. ;o)

Jo xxxxxxx
  • Options
    I'm with Multi on the Saturday thing, anytime during the week is best for me.
  • Options

Oy Plummy!! Are you complaining? If memory serves me correct you couldn't keep your hands off my helmet at the Firestation!
  • Options
    Thats right just give the secrets away.
    You will ruin my reputation at this rate.

Whats left of it.
  • Options
    has to be a Saturday or Sunday - no good during the week, as everyone will be at work.

suggest 8th November, which seems to fit a few other's diaries.
  • Options
    So, for those who can make weekends it seems that 8 November is the best day. For others we will have to organise somethin else. Birypie, yes the pub on the peninsula (the Pilot Inn) is very good.

• Options
    Wow - with two events in November this social secretary thing is getting to be a serious commitment!

Hope all the regulars - and some new folks - will be able to join us in November for a RUN!?! and our more usual drinks session...

Details on the run are being co-ordinated by Crafty - but for now just block out the afternoon of November 8th.

See you all then.
    Cheers, Soo.
    ======================
    Pub Run/Lunch on Saturday the 9th November.

Starting point and interim pubs are tbd - but I'm sure it will be an interesting route. Crafty (our event organiser) knows his running and - more importantly - knows Greenwich pubs!!

======================
    Drinks on Wednesday the 19th November at The Cutty Sark pub in Greenwich! (details on where the pub is to follow - apparently just down the road from the Yacht on Crane St...)

If you've ever run in Greenwich Park, or if you want to run in Greenwich Park, (even if you've only heard of Greenwich Park..) do come along.

It's a pretty mixed group in terms of ability, experience and when we run (I am a 'lunatic' 6 am runner - I mostly run alone...) - the only really common ingredients - we're nice people, like running and most of us like the occasional drink :)

As always - I'll be there from 7:00ish with a copy of Runner's World...
  • Options
    Sun 9th I'm doing the sodbury slog so won't be able to do the run. Should be fine for the social though.
  • Options
    I'm in serious danger of losing my role as social secretary....last post had the wrong date...CORRECT dates below....Saturday the 8th November for the run and Wednesday the 19th November for drinks....

I blame marathon nerves....

Cheers, Soo.
    ====================
    Greenwich Park Events
    If you've ever run in Greenwich Park, or if you want to run in Greenwich Park, (even if you've only heard of Greenwich Park..) do come along.

It's a pretty mixed group in terms of ability, experience and when we run (I am a 'lunatic' 6 am runner - I mostly run alone...) - the only really common ingredients - we're nice people, like running and most of us like the occasional drink :)

======================
    Pub Run/Lunch on Saturday the 8th November.

Starting point and interim pubs are tbd - but I'm sure it will be an interesting route. Crafty (our event organiser) knows his running and - more importantly - knows Greenwich pubs!!

======================
    Drinks on Wednesday the 19th November at The Cutty Sark pub in Greenwich! (details on where the pub is to follow - apparently just down the road from the Yacht on Crane St...)

As always - I'll be there from 7:00ish with a copy of Runner's World
  • Options
    Hi Soo - not sure I can do the Saturday but I've put the 19th in my diary.
    How did you get on yesterday?