Options

Paris Marathon 2012

Comments

• Options

Hi everyone. Inspirational stories from the A2A and TdF. Just waiting for some new tweets DV!

Swimming was fun last night. My Tri friend was able to give me some reasonable pointers for improving my technique. Was able to laugh about the horrible collarbone break I did age 30 makes me swim in circles now!

Did just over 8k this morning running to guage how well my back has recovered from the trapped nerve with 9 days of rest. Answer - not bad, but I can still feel distinct twinges when going round corners, if I speed up, or run downhill. So I think my pain has it's root in the inability to extend my right leg. Must still have tight muscles further up the back which is restricting the normal movement, so when I make a long stride, the leg pulls up and tweaks the nerve - my theory.

Going to try and get an appointment with the Running Doctor at the Antwerp University Hospital.

Bizarrely, my running partner was there this morning for an MRI and has been told he has a bad tear of his miniscus. But they will operate tomorrow if he wants. So Berlin Marathon is out for him but he could well make it round New York with me on 5th November.

If he can run again, then it's going to be a celebration. So now we are thinking what fancy dress costumes would go down well. I'm sort of English and he's half-German/ Spanish. Any outfit ideas to delight our American cousins anyone?!

• Options

BTW, (maybe not good timing for parents of newly UCASd offspring), but did you know that Germany still offers tuition in their universities for foreign students, free of charge, AND that many of their courses are available in English?!!

So instead of sending your kids to Exeter for 3-4 years and gathering 50 grand GBP of debt to welcome them into adulthood, you could send them for a high quality (cross-cultural education) in Berlin, for no debt (maybe higher travel costs?).

I would have thought that would be very enticing..... image

• Options

TD:  Will file that one away for Ms PF as we will have to pay as "foreign" student if she wants to go to uni, all due to the fact Jersey is part of Great Britain but not the UK - I don't really understand it allimage.   Will search out costume ideas - however I do feel The Eurovision Song Contest may give you some inspiration.  You could always find a Boudicca costume and Borat for your friendimage - was that any help.

• Options

PF - sure, I'll have no problems convincing David that Borat was Spanish...or German image

Boadicea though - mmm, whilst I don't mind the odd bit of women's clothing now and then... ooh err missus and all that ...... I think the long robes could present a significant tripping hazard over the length of a marathon.

• Options
    Have I just stumbled across the thread with the greatest number of certifiable people on it? I know we runners are generally borderline insane (I help organise an event which is perhaps even worse?) but you lot are bonkers. But hey, made me chuckle!

Tempted by Paris for my second marathon having in stumbled round London in 4:22 the other year. Will see if a VLM ballot places come thro first....
  • Options

Morning all!!

Fi - thats what I am planning to do for Ms NGUG - when I looked at the old pots and pans etc. I was going to pass onto her I realised that most of them were the ones that my mum gave me when I left home!!  Good excuse to go and get some new ones..  You are right it is all getting v.close.  I looked at the term timetable and the holidays are incredibly long so I dont think Master NGUG will get away with nicking her bedroom as yet (he has his eye on it..)..

Phil - certifiable no not us you must have the wrong thread image- go on go for Paris you will love it.. never got a ballot place myself as yet although in again this year (eternal optimist).

TD - jeezz "free of charge" and "University" dont often get said in the same sentence... go gently with the rehab..you doing New York.. must have missed that one..

Recovery run for me today.. probably on the treadie image

• Options

Phil - you are a good judge of character. I took your approach in waiting for the London ballot but i was waiting too long and Paris spaces were running out. So not believing in being lucky, I booked up Paris. A week later I got my London place. That was a couple of years ago. So I ran them both (Paris fast and London for fun).

NGUG - well, getting in to New York isn't something I've talked about much. I'm fortunate enough to be able to get access to a lot of races without doing the ballot thing, because of going sub3 and being an old git.

Did my second run in two days today. 10K at lunchtime, was quite hot (as well as half hour in the pool before work, pushing the old ticker along). As long as i don't take any long strides, there's no pain at all. Still want to see a sports doc to find out how i get back to running with long legs again though. Feels like i am running AS IF my knicker elastic has gone and they're round my ankles (is this still working for you Phil?).

• Options

Just returned from a little jaunt to the city of light... well, it has been 4 months now and I was missing it. Some spectacular weather - check out this still from a video I shot cowering under the porch of Ecole Militare on Monday night!

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/407736/Gallery/Still_1.jpeg

• Options

TD:  thought you were a pants over tighs man rather than knickers round anklesimage

Am heading out for my longest run since paris of 18 - 20 miles tomorrow - Jersey marathon 5 weeks sunday - I'll be tapering before I know itimage

• Options

Dom N, that is an amazing pic.

PF - good luck for the long one tomorrow, I'm well impressed.

19.14k for me tonight in a deserted forest with a few hills to make it fun.  Cough.  Rest day tomorrow with sushi as a lunchtime recovery treat.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Yes Phil, good judge indeed. I'm already in the VLM but will enter Paris and see how it goes. 

Another poor trainiing week. Planning at least 10 this PM, but will struggle to get beyond 35 for the week.

Goos luck Fi with the big un.

Daughter no. 2 is considering a Euro degree Tricky , but I'm not sure we want her that far away from home for 3-4 years. Daughter No 1. will do a year in France in her 4 year MSc. The year abroad is fully funded by Sheffield Uni image.    

• Options
    Thanks for the encouragement for the long run - has now been moved back to Sunday doing the lovely run of down hill into St Helier then up the dreaded Waterworks valley (3 mile up hill) which forms part of the first 6 miles of the marathon - thought it would be good practise!!  So only the 12 miles for me today.  Then rest tomorrow before 18 - 20 on sunday will let you know if I survive it!!!
  • Options
    Knickers round the ankles? We're only on page 4 and already the tone is lowering image . Stick around Phil, you ain't seen nothing yet...
  • Options

Promises, promises RR

Awesome shot Dom - you must be well pleased with that. The weather we've been having over here on the near continent the last week or so, I can only describe as Harry Potter weather. The other morning at 0930, there was a rainstorm with clouds so thick, I couldn't see the ground 3 levels below me. It was more like 9pm in December..... I was expecting to start seeing Dementors floating past my office window.

I ran quite possibly the slowest race of my life today - there was only one other guy in it - his wife died on Christmas Eve last year (Carbon-monoxide poisoning) and his mother died very suddenly 10 days ago - so I was glad for the chance to chat with him.  After 1km warm up, the 'race' started. 50m in I felt a stiffening in my calf muscle and asked him to keep going while I stretched and massaged it.

I set off again in the hope it would ease up, and iwas running something not dfar off recovery pace anyway. 15K later we were done. After a few hours of sitting in my office, the whole calf has locked up and I'm limping like I've got fresh shrapnel in my leg. Pathetic. Annoying. Unlucky. Painful. ARGH! Doubt

I'll be running for a while if this is a proper injury not just some sort of mega cramp. See, taking rest from running is not good. 9 days off and 3 days later I'm broken.

• Options

A thread that has knickers around its ankles by page 4 is definitely one of kwality  image

So.. just a few weeks to go until I get my chance at the a2a...   I don't suppose there is a 'taper' zone..  I've never tapered anyway for anything, so no need to start now...

This weekend I think I'll put in a big swim on Saturday and see how I feel for Sunday...    I don't feel like running, and I don't really need to run...   I haven't run since the 75 miler a couple of weeks ago...  I suppose I could go and do a short run just to get out there but there isn't really any training benefit and I am at the stage of avoiding injury at all costs....   I'll see how I feel...

No need to ride the bike....

Gosh....   what should I do..?    I suppose I could swim on Sunday too if I feel ok from Saturday...

I'll see....

TD..  what are you doing mate??    You bounce from one injury to the next...   Berlin is on the horizon..  don't put it in any further jeopardy..

• Options

Weird TD I was describing to Grandpa NGUG tonight  as I spoke to him on the phone  how the cloud had descended over the fields behind our house and it looked like a Potterian situation - low cloud and rain - so so dark there could have been dementors out there... remember you mentioning that guy before (+wife)  omg his mother too how hard is that - sorry the race wasnt good ..image r and r sometimes helps...

Jeezz DV see how you feel you have been doing mega distances you need to listen to what your body says... I am no expert.. 

Blooming hard hilly session today had unlimited time as young Master NGUG didnt want to be picked up for hours from his sports club despite me getting out early imageso hard I just couldnt finish it - felt like I had a bubble of air in my stomach so uncomfortable not quite sure why that was .. was a bit cheesed off - will be investigating the local running club next week and definitely back to ju jitsu..

• Options

Meant to say amazing picture Domimageimage

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Yes some barmy weather here too. Raining now so run on hold. Did a pacey 10 miler y/day at 7:35 pace. Might go to the track today then a 14 miler 2moro. A poor week which is a shame as I have 2 races on the horizon. A 10k Tuesday and then a 10 miler bext Sunday. I also entered the Cumbrian run in October, which will combine with a w/end in the Lakes.

The calf thingy will probably pass Tricky, but you seem to be a fragile soul at the moment.

• Options

ok..  I had a weird dream last night...   

Me and TD were together, in a relationship like Morecombe and Wise!  image

We lived together, slept together and  ran a tour business together.   TD drove the coaches and I was the tour guide telling tourists about the history of things we were seeing.  There was one part where we got caught in a train strike and TD went and stole a packet of biscuits..   remarkably this one packet managed to feed 56 of us...!

ok..  I think its time to swim..  I am obviously going mad..................

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

From Glasgow/post-apocalypse Philadelphia+ added zombies, cops, Federal Marshals and Brangelina...

I see things haven't changed and that it was certainly a mistake to read backwards from the most recent posts...  That's quite a variation on the old loaves'n' fishes number, DV. You are clearly going mad. Time to pull up yer knickers and go for another swim....

That's a lovely photo, Don. I'm looking forward to my trip, next month. There should be time for a couple of trots round the Tower before DV's triumphant arrival at the Arc * No pressure *

Welcome to the thread, Phil.Forget Laaarden.You'll have a great time in Paris. The course is lovely and the company's good.image 

Very little running....but much panicking...going on , here.

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    Dark Vader wrote (see)

ok..  I had a weird dream last night...   

Me and TD were together, in a relationship like Morecombe and Wise!  image

We lived together, slept together and  ran a tour business together.   TD drove the coaches and I was the tour guide telling tourists about the history of things we were seeing.  There was one part where we got caught in a train strike and TD went and stole a packet of biscuits..   remarkably this one packet managed to feed 56 of us...!

ok..  I think its time to swim..  I am obviously going mad..................

I find that very surprising, you'd expect Tricky to be the psychotic one wouldn't you?

Just watched the Women's marathon, amazing as ever.

• Options
    I'm loving the image of TD and DV together image however, I imagine you less like Morecombe and Wise and more like the two grumpy old men in the Muppets image
  • Options
    Waldorf and Statler - load of old rubbish!! Nice oen Frodo.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_xfxmmOzXySs/SZsXSCWcALI/AAAAAAAAASQ/8PdC_GV1NGs/S1600-R/statler%2Band%2Bwaldorf%2Bfooter.jpg

DV - that's an amazing dream and I can't see anything wrong with it at all. Let's turn it into a plan!

Puffy - MrsTD read your post and even though she hasn't mean DV yet, she agreed about the psychotic thing. I'm taking it as a compliment.

You were certainly right about one thing though - the being fragile - having iced my leg all last night and slept with it raised up, with no rubbing or massaging, the calf is bright red this morning. It's so weird. I wonder if I've got a burst blood vessel or something?

I'm supposed to start tapering for Berlin next week and I feel like I've hardly done any running at all. What a disaster this programme has been. Just keep swimming.... (literally in your case DV), but more Dory style for me. Think you might like this ATM....

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lkqn5tLinY1qjhxwlo1_500.jpg

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

I just looked at flights from Liverpool, £150 for the 2 of us.

Does anyone have any idea what Eurostar will cost?  I am not a fan of airports these days.

• Options

Mr P:  you want to buy Eurostar - I thought we were in a recession!!

DV:  am just going to refer to you as "Jesus" from now on and TD as "the almighty" image.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Sounds like a bad romance to me.....things have taken a nasty turn for the sureal on here.

Speedy session on the track today. Then 14 2more for a 38 week. Not sure if I've done enough for a sub-38 min. at my 10k on Tuesday but that's the target.

• Options

Morning team...   I had a rather busy day yesterday...   I caught up with Michele (amazing US athlete doing the a2a right now) and ran with her for a couple of miles and chatted.   I then went and did an 8hr swim...  I then caught up with Michele again and at 2am this morning I ran about 5 miles with her.   She is an amazing woman and such a strong athlete...  mentally I suspect she is unbreakable... 

She was very tired... sleep deprivation kicking in..   but, that is understandable because just 36 hours before she started the run she had completed an 850 mile bike race, over 4 days, in France! 

She finished her run and is now sleeping and expects to start the swim tomorrow morning.

I'm going down to the beach shortly for another 4 hours....   hopefully I can meet up with her and her crew later today...

You'll all be pleased to know that I was so shattered when I got to bed that none of you were subjected to my dreams last night...

• Options

DV:  that rather begs the question - who was?!!?!

Well 18 miles done this morning - felt good - hardest bit was mile 15 - 17.  20 next sunday then 21 the folloowing week, oh and then start to taper!!!

Happy running allimage

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    I'm just off for my 18 miler, after waiting to watch Mo Farah.  Feel a bit sick tbh and my heart rate is through the roof after shouting at the tv.
  • Options

I am so in awe of all you long distance runners, especially DV and his cohorts in the A2A .... I'm just blown away by what you achieve.  I had hoped to do 30k this am but came in after 25k, got a stitch and knees began to complain.  Can feel some consolatory Dairy Milk coming up later!

Disappointed DV hasn't any more dreams to share ....   image