Options

Paris Marathon 2012

Comments

• Options
    Loving the surreal twist the thread has taken. This must be what happens to the mind when you turn into an unstoppable machine.

TD sorry to hear about your calf. Don't panic about Berlin. At least if you're tapering you can give it the rest that it needs.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    great miles Fi- 16 for me and 40 for the week. Phew...
  • Options
    Mr P - just watched the 10k - same response as you. Urgh. First ever UK men's medal at the distance though! Can't say I'm all that impressed with the C4 coverage though - most of the women's results were rattled off in a quick summary (OK, most of the UK results weren't great, but still), then they waste 5 minutes showing and discussing Carl Lewis winning a medal years ago? What's all that about?

16 miles today - mileage creeping up towards maximum. Here's hoping everything stays in working order. TP - sounds like you're ahead of me if you're even contemplating 30k.
  • Options

Back..    have done 12 hrs swimming this weekend   image

Three weeks to go..   I think I'm as ready as I'll ever be.......  

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Impressive DV- you'll be getting webbed fingers....

working on a Bank Holiday image

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

12 hrs swimming....image 

image It's be fun, DV! Are you running/biking in your Pirate gear? I feel another Blue Peter flag effort coming on...

Well done, tart' on the 25. And more from RR!  * Mr. Puffy, that's serious mileage.Are you training for something?* I'm in a bit of a panic, re Venice.There will be tubleweed blowing round St. Mark's  by the time I get to the Finish.Bring lots of dosh so you can sip Bellinis while you wait for me... 

• Options

Morning...  yes, I will be in pirate gear and I have a pirate swim cap...

There are some official pirate flags...   not sure who looks after them...  will need to ask around on the tri forum and locate them...

Nothing for me today..  just can't be bothered......!

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

/members/images/146061/Gallery/Satre_Designs.jpg

image I will knit a flag....
  • Options

A flag..   I'm still waiting for my knitted Michele Pfeiffer.....!    And I seem to recall that at least one of the women needs a knitted uterus.....   image

• Options
    I think either Schmunkee or Barley have the flags, DV image
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Existentialist knitting takes time, DV.Fair point, though.I never did knit that Michelle Pfeiffer...

Right, 'off for sea-swim, No. 2. It will be nearer 12 minutes than 12 hours...

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

image Chester on Oct 9th ATM, it really is hard work, I changed my job in January and find it very hard to get in the miles  in the week, so struggle even more at weekends.

Winning the All England face stuffing and red wine drinking championship on Saturday night didn't help either.

• Options
    ATM wrote (see)

Existentialist knitting takes time, DV.Fair point, though.I never did knit that Michelle Pfeiffer...

Right, 'off for sea-swim, No. 2. It will be nearer 12 minutes than 12 hours...

I'll maybe let you off, if you can find a lifesize Michele Pfeiffer cardboard cut-out to meet me in Paris..   image

** no pressure **

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

We're going to need more wool....

Who would 've believed the sea off the coast of Scotland is bloomin' cold  and the waves are, err, a bit strong....

Red wine is good for your heart, Mr. Pimage You'll be fine for the 9th.

• Options
    Don't they make you wear a survival suit when you fly out to the rigs, on the grounds that if the helicopter goes down you'll last about a minute and a half in the sea? And you're choosing (ha! autocorrect just tried to change that to 'boozing'!) to do it voluntarily? image
  • Options

OO - you aren't the only one at work today, so keep your chin up! Hoping you get your 38 mins tmrw night - I couldn't look at another image like the agony on Mo Farah's face in that last 70 metres of the 10K. I reckon that was the most real tv image I've seen this year. He was in mental and physical agony.

No running for me this last weekend - Helterskelter - I'm not even at the taper point yet - that's supposed to be next weekend. I think normally, a taper is where you reduce your workload to get rested. I've got naff all mileage in my legs that i need to rest from. Just silly injuries!

Got in 32 mins off swimming at lunchtime = 1.2km ish

See Osteopath in the morning and then Sports Doctor at the Univesity Hospital in Antwerp on Wed afternoon. Hoping that someone will be able to tell me why I am being so fragile right now and give me a certificate I can eat to tell my body it's ok to run again.

ATM - you did promise all that knitting to DV. And to be honest, Michelle Pfeifer is going to get a bit wrinkly soon if you don't get her over to him. Well, unless she's been botoxd.

• Options
    not looked in for a while and when i do you have upped sticks and left!

my favourite quote from the last thread was lr's "one mans bum bag is another man's fanny pack" - tremendous!

how much training have you done for berlin td? do you have a nice graph? what is your target>
  • Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    Ooooooh you turned the lights out while I was on me holibobs....! Staggered around a bit and found you all hiding in here!

Just back after *cough* a month of no running.....my brain has decided I will *never* be able to run a marathon now so there's no point even entering. Help. My head is stuck at 24k....
  • Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    Oooooooookay, I've just read the entire thread.....it's a great comfort to know that whilst my head and GI system may be stuck at 24k, you're all still totally hatstand.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

SR & yer maj- we tried to shake you off but you passed the test.

You're right Tricky that shot of Mo Farah's face was incredible. But you have to give it to the winner, he produced an amazing finish and deserved it. These championships seem to be going the wrong way for the Brits after all the hype. And as for the C4 coverage I'm surprised how amatuer it is- wish it was BBC!

10k tonight. I've not had the best few weeks since my last race so 38 mins. is a tall order. I'll enjoy it in any case- you can't beat a good race to get the adrenalin pumpin.

• Options

OO - I reckon Mo was putting on his best aerodynamic face - trying too eek out a few milliseconds off his time. It was a sensational finish. Anyone here reckon they could throw Jessica Ennis more than 40 metres?! Good luck tonight.

Stray Runner wrote (see)
     how much training have you done for berlin td? do you have a nice graph? what is your target>

Mmm, Stray_DM it's been an utter disaster - worst prep ever. Reckon I've done 720kms so far in a 16 week programme. I had a pretty bad accident on a mountainbike 9½ weeks ago - still having osteopath treatment on my back and off to see a sports doc tmrw. Not running at the moment. It's going to be a weird marathon, wanting to push myself but without any of the normal backdrop of training to rely on. Trying to be philosophical about it and keep smiling. Nearly killed myself.....

Yer_Maj - 24k. If that's what you think your limit is, then I suggest you keep on running it as often as you can until you get thoroughly bored of just doing 24k and you will burst on through it. Perhaps you can tell us what makes you think and feel it really is a set limit? I'd just say that part of the point of doing long distance running in your training, is to take you to your limits, and in so doing, your body and mind is stretched - they increase their capacity to cope with the training stress.

So if you find it hard, know that you are doing the right training and believe in yourself and the rules of training and physiology, that it makes you stronger. Or buy a bike. And a helmet

Some cross-training with MrsTD to look forward to (in the gym) this lunchtime. No saucy comments please. Unless they are funny, or saucy.

• Options
    I remember the bike accident td. I think you have done well to get 720km under your belt since. I have had a terrible June/July training after a minor car crash knocked training for a few weeks. I have found it very difficult with pace management since as I am just not fit enough to run at the pace I want to...

It is still 50/50 whether I do an autumn mara at all
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

yer_maj, remember when you first did 5k? 10 seemed totally out of the question..a heart attack was more likely.But now you can do 24! image  So, you're already more than half-way there. And, unless you know Paris well, once you're halfway round, you might as well keep going, non?

It is definitely worth entering....if only to see Redpanda and Gold Pig in their Union Jack shorts * image Where ARE you, two? *And you've got more than 7 months to learn all the words to this....

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Evening all. Having played down my chances of a good race this evening I'm slighly embarassed to report a good run out in the Blyth 10km race. Time was 37:18 which is a seasons best. Actually it's my best since 2007 and a V45 PB. Hard to explain why you run well somtimes, I've had a poor couple of weeks training.  

• Options

Well done OO..  that is very impressive indeed!!   image

• Options
    outstanding oo. a most excellent nights work.
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

image Well done, OO!  *My Retirement- Plan -Online -Stud -Farm scheme takes shape...* Maybe the comparative ' rest' over the last two weeks did you good.

How's the latest A2A entrant doing, today,DV?  * And how are you feeling ? Are you allowed to tout for sponsorship on the thread?image *

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    steady on ATM, you don't want an old knacker anyway.
  • Options

OO - 10K in 37:18 ?!!!! image image imageimage

Send that man to S.Korea quick, the GB team needs fresh young blood. image

Right, am off to see the sports doc. Fingers crossed that this is the turning point for some rapid improvement in fortune. Bad news will not be accepted.