Options

Greater Manchester Marathon

Comments

• Options
    If two marathons are closer than 5 weeks then I prioritise. But you might find you can fit a shorter race in quite close before a marathon.
  • Options

EG Graham: I had nothing worse than slight hamstring tendon strain while training for my 50K (and was able to get through that and let it settle just by running slower, while still ramping up the mileage). It was the speedwork leading upto GMM which led to my getting piriformis syndrome. I'm hoping that training for NDW, without speedwork (except the odd parkrun) will be safer again.

• Options

Gaz - no I don't run them flat out it wouldn't be possible, I'm aiming for 12 in 12 and Ultras so I just treat them as LSRs, it's just so much better to run an organised Marathon than it is to pound the streets under your own steam

Debra - My Calf was eventually diagnosed as down to a Piriformis episode, my Physio put it down to the muscle going to sleep during my LSRs and putting extra strain on the calf, part of my rehab was the weekly Park run in the middle of last year in addition to the longer runs

• Options

Another thing to try with the 305 is stick it in a bag of uncooked rice, it's superb at drawing out the moisture in there.

• Options

For a 305 problem I would dry it out of course and try the hard system reset, turn the unit off and press both mode and reset buttons together for a few seconds, release and then press the on button and it should completely reset, I've had mine for 3 year and used this successfully when it failed after dropping

• Options

Cheers guys. I'll try those suggestions. The watch isn't dead so theres hope yet. I don't want to replace it unless I have to as I'm not really sold on the ideal of a bezel or a touchscreen that the newer models have.

EG: Yep, its a lot easier to run the extra 6.2 miles with a bit of company. On my own I find anything over 20 hard work mentally more than physically.

• Options

thank you andy w for introducing me to this thread, support and advice has been brilliantimage

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Ok - probably will be on here a lot less now. Good speaking/writing to all of you, thanks for all the advice/support/banter.

In the end the weather turned the marathon into a bit of a survival course, and looking back after the dust has settled, it was actually a bit special. If the organisers have another go let's hope they learn the lessons from this year, the runners welfare should always come first and for god's sake get rid of any vip tents and sort out the baggage instead!

I'll hopefully be running London next year if my GFA works out. I won't be running multiple marathons in a short time frame, don't think I'm built for that, so won't be running Gtr Manc marathon also, but I very much think I'll be out supporting. Already planning on dragging my daughter somewhere around the 18 to 20 mile mark where numbers watching are thin on the ground to provide support and jelly babies.

See some of you on the Chester marathon thread and good luck with your running for the rest of the year.

• Options
    15 - great to be able to blog with you on here and very sound advice you gave as well. Good luck in future races and keep improving. Will no doubt come across you on another forum.
  • Options

for a first time marathon runner this forum has been invaluable to me, thank you so much all of you.image

• Options

Lily just out of interest how did Manchester affect your thoughts on doing a second?

• Options

thanks EG, from someone who said they would only do one marathon I am hoping for one a year. Apart from the horrible weather and the running out of gels, space blankets etc (I luckily did not use the baggage tent) I loved every minute. The support was incredible and although a slow runner I never needed to walk and took 5hrs 17 mins. I followed the beginners plan on the website which meant I was prepared. I read lots of books, took advice on the forum etc about nutrition etc and felt fine afterwards. I have entered the London ballot but will be happy to do a different marathon. I have looked at maybe doing Windermere.

• Options
    ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭
    I echo Lily's comments - the forum has been very useful and made me feel less alone on my marathon journey.

I agree 15W, the weather did make it a battle and has added to my sense of achievement..

I'm definitely thinking of an autumn marathon, Chester is looking favorite, so I'll look out for you guy on that and other forums.

Stay fit and healthy everyone image
  • Options

My first proper run out today 3 m @ 7:25 , glad i've still got the appetite to run, can still feel it in my legs though on that run, will spend the next week just keeping my fitness up & then hopefully start traing properly. Don't think im going to do the nottingham ultra as i want really good time for the robin hood half. I will be doing the Manchester next year if i don't get into London as i really enjoyed it. Looking back even though i felt i could have pushed myself to run a faster time it ws a learning experience & have to remind my self this time last year i was 4 & a half stone heavier with no running experience & would not contemplate being at the level of fitness i'm at now.

Thank you for all the wonderfull advice & stories on here & hope to see you next year.

• Options

I've just had to cry off the Uttoxeter Half Marathon - I just still so tired.

As a first time marathoner I've massively underestimated how long it would take me to recover. Managed a 4 mile run on Thursday but its the general fatigue that has got to me.

I've now entered Chester as I want to try to reduce my time - hopefully in better conditions.

Does anyone have any advice please about a training plan to follow between now and 7 October to keep the miles up without overdoing it?

• Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

Fiona

I did the first 2 chester marathons and doing again this time     both went like clockwork  the people who put it on are runners them selfs  they though of everything and each village we ran though  the support was fab   people calling you out by name as it was on your number    the ratings on this site went though the roof

• Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

with your training   build up steady   and just do not do more then you can   you will get there

• Options
    Fiona I suggest you google a running maintenance programme and then come into the marathon programme you used before eg at week 6 to 8 of a 16-week programme.
  • Options
    I think I'm heading for Chester too, feel I have a lot of time to lose.
  • Options

Well...good to see this thread still running

I've been away camping since Wednesday...managed three runs and now feel pretty much recovered...ankles still a bit tender

Looks like Chester for me...going to look into the details now

• Options
    ShivaShiva ✭✭✭

I am torn between chester and preston... The organisers phoned to tell me they have my bag and are posting it to me.  They tried telling me it was the runners fault for swearing at the cadets, I pointed out that the tent was too small and disorganised from the start.  They seemed apologetic enough, but not sure i'll be back in 2013.

• Options

Shiva - it is quite concerning that they still aren't accepting full responsibility for the baggage fiasco and need to be told the tent was too small and disorganised. If they are unable to recognise the obvious then will they get it right in future? Runners swearing at the cadets is clearly unacceptable but  this happened when tempers became frayed because of the delays in reclaiming baggage. The cadets withdrawal exacerbated the problem but certainly wasn't the cause. Before the cadets left, and with only a few runners back to reclaim their baggage, significant delays were occuring because of lack of personnel, lack of space and lack of organisation. Even when the cadets left xtra mile could have prevented the situation becoming as bad as it did but failed to show any leadership. It does them no credit to continue to blame anyone other than themselves for this.

I hope this event is successful - it is great that there is another marathon in the north - and would love to do it again. It just won't be next year, I need more evidence that they are going to get it right. 

• Options
    ShivaShiva ✭✭✭
  • Options

So, I run the Manchester Marathon and it's all I can do to fight off Hypothermia, then one week later the Sunderland Marathon and what do I get Sunburned legs, it could only happen in the UK

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Just been for my first run since marathon, an easy 8 miles. Still feel lots of aches and pains.

Fiona - they say you should take a day off for every mile ran in a race! A lot of people like to taper in reverse - so slowly bringing up mileage over 3 weeks. Only difference is don't do any speedwork till you've got the mileage up. Most training plans, a lot of good ones on this website - or look at Hal Higdon website - are 16 to 18 weeks. So - that will mean starting start of June. Until then do that 3 week taper in reverse, and you're ready to go.

• Options
    I didn't realise that 15 - have done 4 five-mile recovery runs this week and creaking all over. I never get injured ... but the tight hamstring that started in Dunham Massey gets worse every time I run.

I've been really looking forward to post marathon speed work but it's on hold until I feel fit again. It's over 2 months now since I've run flat-out ... a bit more patience ...
  • Options

Sympathies to all needing extra time to recover. I think that enforced 3.5-week rest before M'rc has affected my recovery more than it affected my run on the day. Sore glutes particularly on the left presumably associated with extra work while the piriformis wasn't working, but that's settling. Quads have just about recovered now but I felt more tired than expected on a 4-mile run yesterday evening and my left knee still hurts - going to try a few days of ibuprofen to hopefully settle it down. I really wasn't expecting to need much rest and I need to get started on some serious mileage again (no speedwork, just loong runs) to train for the ultras I have coming up.

• Options

I seem to be recovering fine (fingers Crossed).  Have ran 4 (3 miles, 5 miles, 7.6 miles and 6 miles) times but kept pace at recovery to easy.  Put in a faster mile last night (nothing too taxing 8.40m/m) and all seems to be ok sooooo I am attempting to find a place for Chester HM on Sunday (I live in Chester).  I am hoping I am not being too bombastic but I feel like I just didn't put everything into Manchester and have felt really low since it regarding my running.

Sorry for people still recovering,  I am undecided about Manchester again next year.  I just didn't enjoy it enough to have good memories about going back and that is nothing to do with baggage etc as I wasn't affected.  Just think the whole day was so draining. 

• Options

I too am finding it harder to recover after this maraton than any other - I am now wondering if it is to do with the weather on the day and whether this has got into the muscles.

• Options

I'm sure the weather had a dramatic impact not only on my performance on the day but recovery as well. Cold muscles arn't as flexible, pushing them to perform in order to maintain pace has no doubt done more damage than normal image