Options

The Wall Run 23rd & 24th June 2012

Comments

• Options

Elli - not started training as such, but did a half in September with the Chester marathon on Sunday, I'm more in maintenance mode now for next June, I do a park run at weekend for a short burst but other than that it's waiting for Sunday. Incidentally for LSR what sort of distance and time are people looking at? I tend to do maybe 6mph for three hours which seems enough for me

• Options

Hi Elli,

Winter is going to be a relaxed affair for me.  Just keep up the mid-week runs (2-3 x 6-8 miles) with reasonable tempo and slowly increase my long runs.  At the moment two hours is the longest I've gone for (~15 miles), so I'll start creeping that up to 3 hours.  Will start to incorporate eating on the move (gels, bars, real food etc).  Definately thinking of Manchester Marathon next April so I want to keep as much speed as possible whilst extending my distance.  Will need to start playing with my pace to find a comfortable effort that I can maintain for an hour or so but still feel fresh enough to repeat it.

In the new year is when I'll start my back to back long runs and serious distance training (eg. walking).  Unfortunately things at work aren't great so end up spending a portion of my weekend working.

• Options
    I'm running Barcelona marathon in March and I'm kind of using 100 mile training plan but obiously tweaking it a bit as I dont need to push myself to that extreme.

It will start from about 35 miles per week increasing to 75 per week for 34 weeks.
    Long runs sat and followed by semi long on Sunday. Weds are also longish run and then there's two shorter ones in between. It will be tough but I want to be prepared.

My long runs are currently about 13 miles, should reach 20 around christmas and then it's just building and maintaining it, prob go up to 26 -30 towards end of my training.
    Just have to see how it goes and listen to my body.
    I think at the moment I'm just struggling to fit in a fift training day as I'm so busy with work.
  • Options

I don't know if anyone has experience of times over such a distance, so has anyone considered what sort of time they want to achieve/aim for? Finishing is my sincere aim, but I do like to start off with a target

I'd imagine 69 miles to be maybe 0-26 at a reasonably slow 5.5 hour pace, 26-52 at maybe 6.5 hour pace, 52-69 at maybe 7.5 hour pace with a couple of 20 min rest breaks I think it could be around the 17 hour mark, I'm guessing but this is completely new territory to me, and any experienced advice would be welcome.

• Options
    My friend did a 70 miler in August, that was her first ultra. They finished it in 16 hours something, with quite a bit of walking towards the end.

I would think 16 -17 hours is quite accurate.

• Options

I don't know how realistic it is but I have it in my mind that if I can maintain an average pace of 4mph between running and walking then that will suit me fine.  That would equate to a17-18 hour finish.  The way it's broken down into stages is what made it all seem feasible to me when I first came across it.  Setting off at 7am I reckon it's possible to have the first stage done by lunch time (5h) the second stage done by tea time (~5h), the third done by night fall (sunset won't be until 22:30-23:00 probably).  I think I'm being generous with the time for the third stage (it's the second shortest) I just don't know what my legs will be like at that point.  The fourth and fifth stages will be through the night.  Might hit Newcastle for sunrise (probably 4am-ish), that'll be a sight in itself, to see the sunrise over the bridges.

I'll readjust my targets as I become more informed about what I'm capable of through the training.

• Options

Eli

Times for ultras are notoriously hard to estimate. 

In a city marathon I will always estimate my time to within 15 minutes or less. 

In ultra distance events, I have got it wrong by a margin of two hours or more either way.  I would attribute this to:

A. The wider range of terrain types and profiles in ultras. 

B. The fact that the consequences of any set back later in the race get magnified. 

If you have arranged for somebody to meet you at the finish line, then update them via text message at the half way mark and subsequently. 

• Options

Elli - Thats a good marker, I intend the bit of walking in the middle and any up slopes, incidentally, for comparison what would your mate's normal marathon time be?

Ben I agree the niggle you can put up with to complete a half or full marathon becomes amplified the further you go, so for a marathon runner on a first ultra it could be anywhere between 16 -18 hours. 

• Options
    EG, she does a marathon in about 4:20 - 4:30 I think.
    They walked the last 7 miles due to her friend starting to feel very poorly.

I'm picking up the usual piriformis syndrome again (this time accompanied with knee pain!!!). I usually only start suffering from it when I increase mileage too soon. And I haven't yet so I'm a bit annoyed!
    I've had 2 sports massages this week. Hoping it will calm down soon.

• Options

Thanks - based upon that, I'm thinking maybe 17 will be a good target for me, and anything under a bonus for a first attempt. Also I suffered from regular calf strains earlier this year which turned out to be a slow and inactive piriformis, my Physio put it down to an increase in my long slow runs and decrease in faster runs, so I mix it up a little now.

• Options
    Just completed my music list for the Chester Marathon in the morning, dread to think what I'll have on the end of it for 17 hours, I'll be back to the Beatles!
  • Options
    Thanks for the tip, I'll really need to keep sticking to my speed training runs!
  • Options

Having just completed the Chester Marathon I now hate running and anything to do with it.

Until maybe tuesday - usual for me 4.5 hours, good relaxed first half almost bang on my usual time, then a big blow up in the middle where I walk/run for a couple of miles whilst wondering why I bother, then finish like a train from maybe 17 onwards.

The joys of running!

• Options
    Well done!!! Good lad!

I signed up for Chester but sold my entry as I couldn't train during the summer.
    Now I wish I hadnt. Oh well.

How was it? The weather, the course, the support and atmosphere?
  • Options

Congratulations, not to worry about the walk/run bit, just think of it as training for the big one.

• Options

Elli - it has to be the best race I ever did, the support all way round was out of this world, and so well organised! Drink stations every 3 miles with water and fuel drinks, you had your name on your number and everyone was shouting your name as encouragement, and to finish you ran onto the racecourse which was beautiful, down the home straight then turned off to run through the front of an absolutely packed grandstand, there must have been 5,000 spectators inside and it felt really special. The weather was fine, windy in places but dry and not too warm, there were more hills than expected but that's running for you, My names on this one for next year without a doubt.

Drowningslowly - I agree walk/run is the bane of my life for longer runs but it is becoming a more prevalent tactic, particularly the guys who fly off then walk, with the girls who seem to continually grind out the slower paced miles.

• Options
    You are making me think even more I wish I'd done it now image
    Maybe next year. Mind you, I'm thinking of doing Kielder marathon and I think it's around the same time as Chester one image
  • Options
    My regular running mate pulled out with a cold (and cold feet) but she wishes she'd gone ahead now, it won't be far off first on my list next year
  • Options
    The trouble is, there are so many marathons and ultras that its so difficult to choose the ones to do!
    I've made a mistake before by signing up for loads then end up not doing them as I havent recovered properly from previous ones etc.

Like now. I'm dying to do Loch Ness, Kielder, Chester, Helsinki and maybe another ultra, all after the wall! And I know for a fact, I'm glad if I'l be able to manage a half marathon afterwards!
    Its picking one and sticking to it. Its hard!
  • Options

Know how you feel EG Graham - I've just done the Liverpool Marathon on the same day and now my motivation to train has hit the floor!

Oh well guess it means I'll need to sign up to some races in the build up to the Wall Run. So far only the Greater Manchester Marathon really stands out. Anyone else have any plans?

• Options
    I've just got a couple of shorter ones this year, then Barcelona Marathon in March, and the next is the wall.

I'm being indecisive about "a Coventry way". Thats in April and would be a nice build up to the wall, but not sure if its going to be too much as I have no idea how my body will recover.
  • Options

Andy - a week in Barcelona a little rest, lots of walking, beer, and pasta, and I'm ready for it all again, might sign up for the Rutland water marathon 6th November, I'm going for a 8 mile sampler round Rivington tomorrow, and if all well Rutland will be the first serious training run for next June

• Options

Northern Eli

April would allow plenty of time for your body to recover, even if you picked up minor injuries.   I frequently do ultras about a month apart, and on one occasion did two a fortnight apart.  Some training programs for Comrades (June) recommend an ultra in April. 

I think that it would be beneficial, both in training terms and mentally, for you to do an event of intermediate distance before tackling the Wall.  26.2-69 miles is a big jump.  It has been done far too many times to say that it can't be done, but why do it that way if time is on your side?

• Options
    I think you're talking sense, Ben.
    I'm just thinking that I would end up having Barcelona marathon in March, 40 mile ultra in April then a 69 mile ultra in June.
    I wanted to push myself in Barcelona and see if I can get my time a little better. Coventry way would only be 3 weeks later.
  • Options

3 weeks is doable, but then you are essentially slingshotting one race off the last.  Effectively using the first race as the last long training run for the second, and the period between as a taper period. 

I have been doing this all summer, and it caught up wit me in the end, forcing me to take time out to train and recover.  Still allowed me to get a cracking season in though!

• Options
    Ok guys so hands up how many have started training for this already?

+1

• Options
    Ben I think the entry is cheap enough even if I decided not to do it in the end. I think I'll go for it image
  • Options
    +1 also although was naughty and didn't do my long run yesterday.  Really tired and I need the skin on the ball of my right foot to heal up a bit for my Aikido course this weekend (so no long run this weekend either) before I go long again.  So long as my long run is up to around 20 miles/3 hours by christmas (currently 16miles /2:10 is my furthest run thus far) I'll be happy.
  • Options
    Specific training no - but I've just done a marathon with one more before Christmas, so I am going for a maintenance program until June. Might do Llanelli, or Blackpool (not decided which) and the Manchester Marathon, I also do some regular short runs, then I'll do a 35-40 miler (LSR) in late May which I hope will see me there. I guess I won't be accused of over-training
  • Options
    I'm building mileage at the moment and trying to get used to running 5 days a week instead of 4.
    Current long runs are 13-14 miles, but I plod them so slow at the moment that I'm getting a bit wound up.
    Trying to keep my speed training in for Tuesdays and do a bit of tempo on Thursdays. Will have to see how it all goes but all being well, should hit 20 miles long run(s) around christmas too.